Credit to Bob Whitsitt for Keeping the Seahawks in Seattle!?

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
Yesterday morning, I listened to an interesting interview Brock and Salk had with Tod Leiweke. During that interview, he said something that absolutely floored me.

According to Leiweke ... it was former Hawks GM Bob Whitsitt who reached out to Paul Allen and convinced him to buy the Seahawks. Now, when I heard that, I was like, "WOW!" :shock: [Serious shock and disbelief] I'm no fan of Whitsitt whatsoever. How he handled the un-retirement of Steve Largent's number (giving #80 to Jerry Rice) still sticks in my craw a little bit. Plenty of bones to pick with that guy. So to hear that Whitsitt was the one who basically is responsible for the Seahawks still being in Seattle was a bit of a bombshell to me. Go figure.

For those who are interested, you can listen to that interview below. Conversation turns to the Seahawks at about the 10:00 minute mark. Personally, I think that if you're a serious passionate historian of the Seahawks, this is a must listen ...

http://sports.mynorthwest.com/category/podcast_player/?a=10030030&sid=1007&n=Brock+and+Salk

OP
OP
Hawkscanner

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
JGreen79":3twgh20f said:
Also likely influenced by the relationship they formed working together with the Blazers.

I would definitely agree with you there. It was just amazing to think .... that of all people ... Seahawks fans have Bob Whitsitt to thank for the Seahawks still being in Seattle. It was his idea to reach out to Paul Allen. If not for him, this team would have been the LA Seahawks. Bob Whitsitt?!? Talk about an unlikely Seahawks hero. Who would have thought? Unreal.

chris98251

Reaction score
Hawkscanner":19cgazuk said:
JGreen79":19cgazuk said:
Also likely influenced by the relationship they formed working together with the Blazers.

I would definitely agree with you there. It was just amazing to think .... that of all people ... Seahawks fans have Bob Whitsitt to thank for the Seahawks still being in Seattle. It was his idea to reach out to Paul Allen. If not for him, this team would have been the LA Seahawks. Bob Whitsitt?!? Talk about an unlikely Seahawks hero. Who would have thought? Unreal.

He was the GM of the Seattle Sonics before he went to Portland, he knew the area and people in it well, shitty GM but glad he knew who he knew at that time.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
I’ve heard that before. Also the Seattle Mayor at the time (Locke?) played a big role in it.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Yep Bob did reach out to Paul to buy the Seahawks.

It's pretty much the only thing he did right in his Seahawks-related tenure.

Atradees

Reaction score
Bob Whitsett got alot of negative press. He fielded some great-competitive Blazers teams. The Blazers are now "not" competitive. The Blazers haven't been relevant for some time.

chris98251

Reaction score
Yeah we all remember the Portland Jailblazers as well as Jim MCeVaine and Benoit Benjamin up here in Seattle amongst some of his great NBA moves.

Atradees

Reaction score
Yes you can add Shawn Hemp to that list err......Kemp. He also demanded a refund and unbelievably got one. Rod Strickland was a great player. The team was always competitive and making moves. I didnt like Sheed or Bonzi Wells much but they could at least play ball.

Latest posts