Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Pick #27 Rashaad Penny RB

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Re: Pick #27 Rashaad Penny RB
Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:57 am
  • As far as the he was drafted too early crowd, was this for just Penny, or all the rb's taken about that time? Seems once Penny was taken, it started a run.

27 - Penny
    31 - Michel
    35 - Chubb
    38 - Jones
    43 - Johnson

....and Guice all the way down at 59

Kinda awesome they got to pick their favorite, their guy before the run was on. Doesn't seem early at all, seems perfect timing if you look at it like that.
    Long you live and high you fly, and smiles you’ll give and tears you’ll cry, and all you touch and all you see Is all your life will ever be
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:08 pm
  • twisted_steel2 wrote:As far as the he was drafted too early crowd, was this for just Penny, or all the rb's taken about that time? Seems once Penny was taken, it started a run.

27 - Penny
    31 - Michel
    35 - Chubb
    38 - Jones
    43 - Johnson

Kinda awesome they got to pick their favorite, their guy before the run was on. Doesn't seem early at all, seems perfect timing if you look at it like that.

The pundits were more of "too soon for Penny", not necessarily the top available RB's (on their boards).

But what the hell do a bunch of east coast talking blowhards know about a RB out of San Diego St vs the 1,000's of man hours we dedicated to vetting him as a great fit four US.

This is exactly why the good teams stay on top, they draft to their strengths and style, and not just "the best available" player according to the draft experts who are wrong 80% of the time.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:10 pm
  • mic drop
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:32 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    twisted_steel2 wrote:As far as the he was drafted too early crowd, was this for just Penny, or all the rb's taken about that time? Seems once Penny was taken, it started a run.

27 - Penny
    31 - Michel
    35 - Chubb
    38 - Jones
    43 - Johnson

The pundits were more of "too soon for Penny", not necessarily the top available RB's (on their boards).

But what the hell do a bunch of east coast talking blowhards know about a RB out of San Diego St vs the 1,000's of man hours we dedicated to vetting him as a great fit four US.

This is exactly why the good teams stay on top, they draft to their strengths and style, and not just "the best available" player according to the draft experts who are wrong 80% of the time.

I think a lot of people are mad that they didn't take an offensive lineman earlier, and I for one am inclined to agree with that group. Our line couldn't open up holes, and got beat at the point of attack consistently. This was a draft that was deep in running back talent -- not so in offensive line. After the top prospects there was a huge drop off in talent. If Pete is serious about establishing a running game -- the only way to do it is address that poor line play.

I think the main selling point for Penny is that he was consistent in college, and was very durable. He is also a good sized back with a deceptively quick second gear. The durability part was probably the biggest sell, considering Carson, Rawls, and especially Procise's ability(or lack thereof)to stay healthy. Penny also had quietly been rising up the big boards pretty quickly, and consistently. At the end of the season people placed him at around the 5th best back. After the combine, and workouts he got quiet a bit off buzz from just about everybody.

I can also understand people's skepticism of the Seahawk's draft process in the last few years. They haven't exactly drafted well, and as a result we've seen a Seahawks in a slow and steady decline. I actually like this draft, but I do have a few reservations about Penny.
    Spin Doctor
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:55 pm
  • Spin Doctor wrote:
    I think the main selling point for Penny is that he was consistent in college, and was very durable. He is also a good sized back with a deceptively quick second gear. The durability part was probably the biggest sell, considering Carson, Rawls, and especially Procise's ability(or lack thereof)to stay healthy. Penny also had quietly been rising up the big boards pretty quickly, and consistently. At the end of the season people placed him at around the 5th best back. After the combine, and workouts he got quiet a bit off buzz from just about everybody. .

Pretty much exactly what John and Pete said when asked why they picked Penny.

- physical style of running to contact
    - durability
    - crazy speed for his size
    - intangibles

So I get it, but yes I was also in the "let's draft Hernandez and stop this cycle of trying to patch together a line every year" camp.

Time will tell, but I am excited to see Penny run and not have to watch the revolving door of oft injured brittle stable of inconsistent RB's we've had to see the past three years.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:12 pm
  • Now onto my reservations about Penny. I watched quite a few videos, and games with Penny the last few days. I also took a look at how he fared in the Senior Bowl practices and such. I think he could end up being a good back, but I took note of a few things that were a bit concerning to me.

Lets talk about the good first:

Penny is a patient runner, and he is very good at setting up his blockers. As a runner he is subtle in everything he does. Defenders have a hard time getting a good hold on him at the LOS, he has deceptive speed, and a good second gear ala Shaun Alexander. His cutback looks small and inconsequential looking but it leaves defenders grasping for air. He makes very small body movements that throw defenders off, very good at faking out defenders. His vision is also an asset, he can squeeze through tiny holes, and creases -- becoming almost invisible to defenders. This is his greatest asset as a runner, and it will be why he succeeds at the next level if he does end up successful.

The bad:

At the Senior Bowl, coaches noted that he struggled to pick up the playbook, and even struggled with basic concepts. This concerns me given Christine Michael, and his inability to adapt to the NFL playbook. Coaches also noted that his default move when he was unsure to the playbook was to swing outside. His great vision all of the sudden became questionable in practice when he was trying to juggle the playbook in his head with his play in practice.

His yards after first contact stat is deceptive. Despite Penny's size, he was very easy to take down with basic arm tackles. This is what gives me the most pause. He seemed to have no power, or authority as a runner here. I notice a lot of people touched him at the LOS but his cut and subtle body movements messed with defenders heads. I think that is where the "yards after contact" stat comes from. When defenders were able to square up on him he wasn't particularly hard to bring down one on one.

Not an every down back. He is one of the worst pass blockers I've seen in the collegiate level. Doesn't look like he's worked on it much. I don't want to see him blocking for Russ until the coaching staff is able to sort this out. His route running is also sloppy as hell, though he has VERY good hands for a running back. If he masters route running, and the passing game he could be one of, if not the best receiving backs in the NFL. He catches away from his body, and made some fantastic one handed grabs at San Diego. He at least has better hands than good ol' Kearse.

What to take away from all of this: I think he has a chance to be very good in this league. I was a bit surprised to see how bad he was at breaking away from basic arm tackles. I expected him to look more physical. He is a patient runner that will take what he is given and run with it. He is a bit rough around the edges but he does the basics right. He kind of reminds me of a young, upright Shaun Alexander. His cutback is pretty wicked, just like Alexander's was. I think with a bit of fine tuning he could be a great running back. I think if he lowers his center of gravity while running, and he doesn't skip leg day he could even deal with the his arm tackles. I don't think he is going to bust for sure, but I'm not exactly sure how good he will be exactly. That will all hinge on how well our coaching staff is able to bring him up. He has a good base to build upon. I just hope that he doesn't struggle with the playbook.
    Spin Doctor
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:18 pm
  • As far as the trouble with the playbook criticism, Pete also talked about Penny running a LOT of the same schemes, concepts and plays as we already run.

In fact, SD State is one one of the few west coast colleges that still runs an NFL pro style run offense.

So while I agree that could be a problem, Pete and John obviously did their homework on this criticism and are comfortable with Penny's transition into our offense............as opposed to coming from a typical college spread shotgun offense.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:22 pm
  • Spin Doctor wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    twisted_steel2 wrote:I think a lot of people are mad that they didn't take an offensive lineman earlier, and I for one am inclined to agree with that group. Our line couldn't open up holes, and got beat at the point of attack consistently..

The problem is, OL is the second toughest position to evaluate after QB. In college, what OL and QB's do is so fundamentally different from how it works in the pros, that the boom or bust potential is huge. A late first round OL is a total crapshoot and only slightly more likely to pan out than a 4th round OL. A first round RB on the other hand is much easier to evaluate and a higher likelihood of success because of that. And late first round is a perfect slot to get a top RB. Their peak years are likely their first five and you have a palatable cap hit for all those years.

We've been spending decent capital on OL for the last 6 years. That strategy isn't working. Let's see how a new strategy of different coach and OC with a strong RB and TE group works. I'm all for it.

If that fails then it's time to re-evaluate the OL scouts and find better ones.
    Mad Dog
    NET Starter

Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:26 pm
  • Mad Dog wrote:
    Spin Doctor wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    twisted_steel2 wrote:I think a lot of people are mad that they didn't take an offensive lineman earlier, and I for one am inclined to agree with that group. Our line couldn't open up holes, and got beat at the point of attack consistently..

The problem is, OL is the second toughest position to evaluate after QB. In college, what OL and QB's do is so fundamentally different from how it works in the pros, that the boom or bust potential is huge. A late first round OL is a total crapshoot and only slightly more likely to pan out than a 4th round OL. A first round RB on the other hand is much easier to evaluate and a higher likelihood of success because of that. And late first round is a perfect slot to get a top RB. Their peak years are likely their first five and you have a palatable cap hit for all those years.

We've been spending decent capital on OL for the last 6 years. That strategy isn't working. Let's see how a new strategy of different coach and OC with a strong RB and TE group works. I'm all for it.

Apparently that was all Cable's fault. Now that he's gone, it's gonna be nothing but All Pro invites up and down the line.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:31 pm
  • Mad Dog wrote:
    Spin Doctor wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:

the Seahawks also did some really goofy crap with their line picks (thanks Cable). We can't just stop drafting lineman and expect our line to magically get better. They have also passed on some really good lineman in the past via the draft, and came away with questionable picks.
    Spin Doctor
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:34 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Mad Dog wrote:
    Spin Doctor wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:

Apparently that was all Cable's fault. Now that he's gone, it's gonna be nothing but All Pro invites up and down the line.

Well, not taking random DT's and turning them into lineman will be a good start. Another nice improvement will be using players at their given positions, rather than training each player for every position in the name of "versatility". As a result they are crappy at every position. We're already off to a better start lol
    Spin Doctor
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:36 pm
  • The offensive line is still a genuine problem. Brown (getting up there is age), Britt, and three question marks.

Clearly the weakest position group on the roster.
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:42 pm
  • Spin Doctor wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Mad Dog wrote:
    Spin Doctor wrote:

Well, not taking random DT's and turning them into lineman will be a good start. Another nice improvement will be using players at their given positions, rather than training each player for every position in the name of "versatility". As a result they are crappy at every position. We're already off to a better start lol

Sounds good, but as much as we think Solari will make a positive difference...........talent matters.

Right now 100% healthy this line is mediocre at best, and thin as hell for depth. You've got a late 5th round rookie as your LT backup, Fant coming off a major injury battling Ifedi at RT, and two terrible backup guards in Odhiambo and Roos.

I get that we can't address all of our needs in one thin draft pick wise, but to not pick a lineman until the late 5th round at our most important position of need? Yikes.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:45 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Mad Dog wrote:
    Spin Doctor wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:

You're the one who snapped an axle a couple months ago about Carson not being reliable. If we don't get a good RB to make hay behind that OL, the gain from more offensive linemen remains limited.

Solari doesn't need to make All-Pros out of the current crew. He just needs them average. Additionally, Penny is the type who can produce somewhat behind that line.
    GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:48 pm
  • MontanaHawk05 wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Mad Dog wrote:
    Spin Doctor wrote:

You're the one who snapped an axle a couple months ago about Carson not being reliable. If we don't get a good RB to make hay behind that OL, the gain from more offensive linemen remains limited.

Solari doesn't need to make All-Pros out of the current crew. He just needs them average. Additionally, Penny is the type who can produce somewhat behind that line.

1. I was being sarcastic
    2. I never "snapped an axle"
    3. I'd RATHER we drafted Hernandez, but I like Penny
    4. Cut a hole in the box
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:50 pm
  • Spin Doctor wrote:
    Mad Dog wrote:
    Spin Doctor wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:

the Seahawks also did some really goofy crap with their line picks (thanks Cable). We can't just stop drafting lineman and expect our line to magically get better. They have also passed on some really good lineman in the past via the draft, and came away with questionable picks.

Hindsight is 20-20. We have no idea if any of the "really good linemen" would have fared any better than our "questionable picks" in our system. This year we learn if its system or talent. If Brown returns to ProBowl levels, Ifedi blooms into a competent blocker and Fluker and Pocic play solid at guard, we won't be whining that much. If it remains a dumpster fire than we know the finger must be pointed at scouting.

If is scouting, then drafting more linemen with our current scouting staff would lead to another "questionable pick" to complain about.
    Mad Dog
    NET Starter

Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:03 pm
  • People outsmart themselves when it comes to running production and running backs. It's boring to talk about how important the RB is and you can sound much more insightful if you talk about OL scheme, OL personnel, OC play calling and NFL rule changes. As a result I find people undervalue the most obvious piece of the puzzle.

With our supposedly garbage OL scheme and personnel we were great in the running game when we had Lynch. Even after the rule changes the running game was good for the first three weeks last season and somehow became dumpster tier at the exact same time Carson was injured vs. Green Bay. Sure it was just three full games, but Carson had a 4.2 YPC behind the line that everybody thinks was awful and that was before we picked up Duane Brown. And even after Carson went down, Russ still rushed for nearly 600 yards on the season. It's crazy that people use that stat primarily to talk up Russ instead of realizing how completely ineffective our remaining RBs were in comparison.

At this time last year the Oakland Raiders were widely regarded to have a top 2 OL. They went on to finish with less total rushing yards than even we had because Lynch was only available for 13 carries per game and they didn't have a good #2 rusher. I know it's boring but the running back is a key element of the running game.
    AgentDib
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:53 pm
    In 180 games, Walter Jones was called for 9 holding penalties in the course of 5,703 pass plays.
    First Round Inductee To Hall Of Fame 2014
    ESPN #1 Rated Seahawks Player of All Time
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:33 pm
  • We had a crappy OL. Last year.

Since then, we have:
    Change OL coaches
    Added Fluker
    Got Fant back from injury
    Added the best blocking tight end in College
    Subtracted the worst blocking tight end in the NFL
    Added some proper fullbacks

It's entirely possible we've done enough to get the running game going without adding Hernandez, and given we didn't have another pick until the 3rd, selecting Hernandez would have precluded taking a good running back in the draft.

On that basis I think we made the correct call, but time will tell.
    KiwiHawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:43 pm
  • 2017 2nd Ethan Pocic Center
    2017 6th Justin Senior Tackle
    2016 1st Germain Ifedi Tackle
    2016 3rd Rees Odhiambo Guard
    2016 6th Joey Hunt Center
    2015 4th Terry Poole Guard
    2015 4th Mark Glowinski Guard
    2014 2nd Justin Britt Tackle
    2014 6th Garrett Scott Tackle
    2013 7th Ryan Seymour Guard
    2013 7th Michael Bowie Tackle
    2012 7th J.R. Sweezy Guard
    2011 1st James Carpenter Tackle
    2011 3rd John Moffitt Guard
    2010 1st Russell Okung Tackle

We have invested heavily, just like cooking you can get the best cut of steaks all day long but if a guy can't cook he will ruin every one of them no matter the meat cut. Thats been the case here.

Lets see what a new Caoch can do, he can't do worse it's got to be better then worst line in the league.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:21 pm
  • KiwiHawk wrote:We had a crappy OL. Last year.

Since then, we have:
    Change OL coaches
    Added Fluker
    Got Fant back from injury
    Added the best blocking tight end in College
    Subtracted the worst blocking tight end in the NFL
    Added some proper fullbacks

It's entirely possible we've done enough to get the running game going without adding Hernandez, and given we didn't have another pick until the 3rd, selecting Hernandez would have precluded taking a good running back in the draft.

On that basis I think we made the correct call, but time will tell.

Very good points. To add, the Seahawks have 3 first rounders (Brown, Ifedi, and Fluker) and 2 second rounders (Pocic and Britt) penciled in as starters. It's time to develop their talent and help them realize their potential. That was not done under the previous coach. All that was taught was how to dive at the defenders knees. I think Solari will teach them more and the improvement will be tremendous. Having a good rb who can help the line is also a bonus. Together they can help one another play better. Just as Lynch and Wilson did for the OL in 2012-2015.
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:04 pm
  • SoulfishHawk wrote:Hawks draft a RB: "What a reach" "Horrible pick"
    Pats draft a RB a few spots later: "What a great pick" :?

That sums it up nicely. If the Cheatriots draft Penny, it would be “the steal of the draft”.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:21 pm
  • AgentDib wrote:People outsmart themselves when it comes to running production and running backs. It's boring to talk about how important the RB is and you can sound much more insightful if you talk about OL scheme, OL personnel, OC play calling and NFL rule changes. As a result I find people undervalue the most obvious piece of the puzzle.

With our supposedly garbage OL scheme and personnel we were great in the running game when we had Lynch. Even after the rule changes the running game was good for the first three weeks last season and somehow became dumpster tier at the exact same time Carson was injured vs. Green Bay. Sure it was just three full games, but Carson had a 4.2 YPC behind the line that everybody thinks was awful and that was before we picked up Duane Brown. And even after Carson went down, Russ still rushed for nearly 600 yards on the season. It's crazy that people use that stat primarily to talk up Russ instead of realizing how completely ineffective our remaining RBs were in comparison.

At this time last year the Oakland Raiders were widely regarded to have a top 2 OL. They went on to finish with less total rushing yards than even we had because Lynch was only available for 13 carries per game and they didn't have a good #2 rusher. I know it's boring but the running back is a key element of the running game.

Our run blocking was actually pretty good in the earlier RW years. By adjusted line yards, they were 4th in 2012, 9th in 2013, 9th in 2014, and 4th in 2015 before plummeting to 26th in 2016 and 31st in 2017. Lynch was excellent, but I'm not sure how confident I am Penny or really anyone will be as good as he was back then. I think we've seen plenty of teams be successful with decent to good RBs and excellent OL. The Vikings when Cook went down, Eagles, Pats, Saints (pre-Kamara they were still a good running team), etc. I actually think a team like the Cowboys would've been better overall if they took Jalen Ramsey instead of Zeke.

To your Raiders point, they weren't amazing at run blocking even in 2016, they were 11th in adjusted line yards. They were, however, absolutely phenomenal in pass protection. That's where most of their OL rep comes from. This year was a bit shakier due to some injuries.

I don't really get your point about Russ. Most of his runs come from scrambles where the line is actually pass protecting. It's not fair to compare QB rush yards to RB rush yards for that reason.
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:19 pm
  • adeltaY wrote:
    AgentDib wrote:People outsmart themselves when it comes to running production and running backs. It's boring to talk about how important the RB is and you can sound much more insightful if you talk about OL scheme, OL personnel, OC play calling and NFL rule changes. As a result I find people undervalue the most obvious piece of the puzzle.

Our run blocking was actually pretty good in the earlier RW years. By adjusted line yards, they were 4th in 2012, 9th in 2013, 9th in 2014, and 4th in 2015 before plummeting to 26th in 2016 and 31st in 2017. Lynch was excellent, but I'm not sure how confident I am Penny or really anyone will be as good as he was back then. I think we've seen plenty of teams be successful with decent to good RBs and excellent OL. The Vikings when Cook went down, Eagles, Pats, Saints (pre-Kamara they were still a good running team), etc. I actually think a team like the Cowboys would've been better overall if they took Jalen Ramsey instead of Zeke.

To your Raiders point, they weren't amazing at run blocking even in 2016, they were 11th in adjusted line yards. They were, however, absolutely phenomenal in pass protection. That's where most of their OL rep comes from. This year was a bit shakier due to some injuries.

I don't really get your point about Russ. Most of his runs come from scrambles where the line is actually pass protecting. It's not fair to compare QB rush yards to RB rush yards for that reason.

:ditto:
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:52 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:2017 2nd Ethan Pocic Center

We have invested heavily, just like cooking you can get the best cut of steaks all day long but if a guy can't cook he will ruin every one of them no matter the meat cut. That's been the case here.

Let's see what a new Coach can do, he can't do worse it's got to be better then worst line in the league.

Cable really is the story here, he is a horrible cook, and he got to pick his own ingredients most of the time. They were drafting the guys he wanted in droves, bringing in free agents that Cable wanted Joekel & J'marcus Webb. They were burning assets for years on this fraud, and they were getting worse as a unit every year instead of better.

Despite the O-Line woes over the years they could be just functional enough when they had a good runner going. Lynch 2011-2014, Rawls in 2015, Carson in 2017. Which circles back around to Penny. PCJS feel like with Penny that will upgrade all 5 O-Line positions as opposed to upgrading 1 O-Lineman with a round 1 pick.

The other factor here is they need to get a true evaluation on what they actually have. You see Cable was so bad that Duane Brown got worse game by game and looked like just a guy by the end of the year. So the team needs to see what these guys look like with proper coaching before they go ham drafting a bunch of O-Lineman.

Penny was the right choice at this time due to this situation, and the injury plague for 3 yrs at the rb position put it over the top.
    Fade
    NET Veteran

Wed May 02, 2018 7:37 am
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

Wed May 02, 2018 8:34 am
  • Well thought out breakdown on Rashaad Penny (the good & the concerns):
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

Wed May 02, 2018 8:59 am
  • Fade wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:2017 2nd Ethan Pocic Center

We have invested heavily, just like cooking you can get the best cut of steaks all day long but if a guy can't cook he will ruin every one of them no matter the meat cut. That's been the case here.

Let's see what a new Coach can do, he can't do worse it's got to be better then worst line in the league.

Cable really is the story here, he is a horrible cook, and he got to pick his own ingredients most of the time. They were drafting the guys he wanted in droves, bringing in free agents that Cable wanted Joekel & J'marcus Webb. They were burning assets for years on this fraud, and they were getting worse as a unit every year instead of better.

Despite the O-Line woes over the years they could be just functional enough when they had a good runner going. Lynch 2011-2014, Rawls in 2015, Carson in 2017. Which circles back around to Penny. PCJS feel like with Penny that will upgrade all 5 O-Line positions as opposed to upgrading 1 O-Lineman with a round 1 pick.

The other factor here is they need to get a true evaluation on what they actually have. You see Cable was so bad that Duane Brown got worse game by game and looked like just a guy by the end of the year. So the team needs to see what these guys look like with proper coaching before they go ham drafting a bunch of O-Lineman.

Penny was the right choice at this time due to this situation, and the injury plague for 3 yrs at the rb position put it over the top.

Even if I disagreed with what you wrote, I'd buy you and yours a round for using the cook analogy. One of my favorites when it comes to team building.
    mrt144
    NET Veteran

Wed May 02, 2018 9:06 am
  • SoulfishHawk wrote:Our group was chanting Guice-Guice-Guice. But after he fell way down in to the 2nd round, it was clear that there was a big reason he slipped. And now I'm loving this pick.

Surprised me too. If Guice was selected I was ready to call him OJ. The Juice (soft "g").
    Now we got a potentially fun backfield in Hill and Penny. AKA the Penny Hill Show! :D
    Russ Willstrong
    NET Veteran

Wed May 02, 2018 9:13 am
  • Fade wrote:

Amazing how many times I've said that over the last 3 years and got nothing but crap about it from guys like HawkNation 20xx. Now it's accepted by all ONLY because Fable is now gone. :pukeface:
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

Wed May 02, 2018 11:08 am
  • One concern I have is looking back at when they drafted Tyler Lockett

They said then - he was primarily drafted for kickoff returns - then he turned out to be a good WR

I can't help but think one reason they picked Penny is simply because of his return skills

Something that is getting overhauled for 2018 and will then be re-evaluated for complete removal

I know he was picked as a RB but if he was close to three other guys on the board but he is the supreme returner something we want Tyler not to do any longer (body build) then I am sure that raised Penny up quite a bit. I hope that evaluation stays true over the next two years. My logic would also explain why he was higher on the Seahawks board than on some other boards where they mainly evaluated him as a RB
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

Wed May 02, 2018 11:11 am
  • Listening to the Blitz this morning, Lydia listed off these accomplishments for the young man

5th in Heisman voting

1st Team All American AP/Sporting News/Sports Illustrated/ESPN

Consensus 1st Team All American

Mountain West Offensive Player of the Year

Mountain West Special Teams Player of the Year

First player in history to win both awards

275/2,027 7.49 YPC

If you include the Bowl game, he had:

Almost 3000 All purpose yards in 2017

AND 228.8 All Purpose yards per game

Tied for most kick off returns in NCAA FBS history at 7

4 of which went for 100 yards

THE BLITZ WITH LYDIA CRUZ -- May 2, 2018

http://sports.mynorthwest.com/category/ ... Lydia+Cruz
    "God Bless the Seattle Seahawks" Cortez Kennedy

http://ivotuk.com/
    ivotuk
    * NET Moderator *

Wed May 02, 2018 11:12 am
  • Seymour wrote:
    Fade wrote:

Amazing how many times I've said that over the last 3 years and got nothing but crap about it from guys like HawkNation 20xx. Now it's accepted by all ONLY because Fable is now gone. :pukeface:

Dude, take my name out of your mouth and get over yourself.
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

Wed May 02, 2018 11:18 am
  • hawknation2018 wrote:
    Seymour wrote:
    Fade wrote:

Yeah your the only poster that disagrees with anyone here, you should be ashamed of yourself :)

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Wed May 02, 2018 11:34 am
  • chris98251 wrote:
    hawknation2018 wrote:
    Seymour wrote:
    Fade wrote:

Yeah your the only poster that disagrees with anyone here, you should be ashamed of yourself :)

If you don't quote, then I dont have to read. :(
    I wonder which of his names he wants me to take ??
    Facts are facts, it's all about doing those 180's on Cable and now Ifedi. :pukeface:
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

Wed May 02, 2018 11:48 am
  • SoulfishHawk wrote:Hawks draft a RB: "What a reach" "Horrible pick"

Eight Super Bowl appearances over 16 years with five victories gets you a lot of benefit of the doubt.

The last first round RB the Pats drafted (Laurence Maroney) was a disaster, but I guess that was forever ago now. Seems like most of their better RBs have been guys they poached from other teams (Dillon, Blount, Lewis, A. Smith).
    Rat
    * NET Cynic *

Wed May 02, 2018 12:36 pm
  • Rat wrote:
    SoulfishHawk wrote:Hawks draft a RB: "What a reach" "Horrible pick"

Eight Super Bowl appearances over 16 years with five victories gets you a lot of benefit of the doubt.

The last first round RB the Pats drafted (Laurence Maroney) was a disaster, but I guess that was forever ago now. Seems like most of their better RBs have been guys they poached from other teams (Dillon, Blount, Lewis, A. Smith).

Belichek is a master at using his talent wisely not necessarily a master at selecting talent. Got lucky with Brady and knew how to use him. His drafts haven't been anymore fantastic than any other teams. Drafts remain a crapshoot by and large. Just got to know how to make hay when you get it right.
    Mad Dog
    NET Starter

Wed May 02, 2018 1:35 pm
  • AgentDib wrote:People outsmart themselves when it comes to running production and running backs. It's boring to talk about how important the RB is and you can sound much more insightful if you talk about OL scheme, OL personnel, OC play calling and NFL rule changes. As a result I find people undervalue the most obvious piece of the puzzle.

Pretty much this.

Back when it comes to Penny, though, Sam Gold made a good point today that OL could very well matter for Penny if it doesn't improve:

So it's possible that he also turns into 2017 Rawls if the OL can't overcome the backfield penetration Seattle allows, part of which is by design, according to the techbros over there.
    GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

Wed May 02, 2018 2:56 pm
  • MontanaHawk05 wrote:
    AgentDib wrote:People outsmart themselves when it comes to running production and running backs. It's boring to talk about how important the RB is and you can sound much more insightful if you talk about OL scheme, OL personnel, OC play calling and NFL rule changes. As a result I find people undervalue the most obvious piece of the puzzle.

Pretty much this.

Back when it comes to Penny, though, Sam Gold made a good point today that OL could very well matter for Penny if it doesn't improve:

So it's possible that he also turns into 2017 Rawls if the OL can't overcome the backfield penetration Seattle allows, part of which is by design, according to the techbros over there.

Talk about total BS and cherry picking highlights.

HE HAD THE BEST yards per carry after being hit behind the line of any back in college. He got hit like 60 times behind the LOS and made bank on 55 of those, for a 3.5 yard average per carry after being hit behind the LOS.

These clips are about the only times he got tackled behind the LOS.

So the person doing this is deliberately telling an untruth, and being an assclown.

It's like showing 10 clips of Russel Wilson getting sacked behind the line of scrimmage and decrying "this QB has no mobility, look at this! He can't escape the pocket when pressured!"

You see what a lie you can tell with just a few clips?????????

Shameful.

Absolutely shameful.
    The_Z_Man
    NET Veteran

Wed May 02, 2018 3:14 pm
  • Fade wrote:Cable really is the story here, he is a horrible cook, and he got to pick his own ingredients most of the time. They were drafting the guys he wanted in droves, bringing in free agents that Cable wanted Joekel & J'marcus Webb.
    They were burning assets for years on this fraud, and they were getting worse as a unit every year instead of better.

Truer words were never spoken!!
    Proud Member of the .Net Old Farts Society
    Bigpumpkin
    NET Veteran

Wed May 02, 2018 4:16 pm
  • MontanaHawk05 wrote:

Pretty much this.

They do realize that the scheme and offense that Rawls was in is not being coached by Bevell and Cable but a new system coached by Schottenheimer and a line Coached by Solari. the TECHBROS missed that I guess so nothing will be the same.

This sounds just like a troll hate thing, oh Fieldgulls...

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Wed May 02, 2018 6:38 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:
    MontanaHawk05 wrote:

Pretty much this.

They do realize that the scheme and offense that Rawls was in is not being coached by Bevell and Cable but a new system coached by Schottenheimer and a line Coached by Solari. the TECHBROS missed that I guess so nothing will be the same.

This sounds just like a troll hate thing, oh Fieldgulls...

We do have a new coach, and system -- but I do think they have some valid points. I noticed the same thing when watching Penny. There was hardly any penetration by defenders on any of the plays. On the Seahawks he will face a lot more adversity, especially if none of our guys take a leap forward in skill this season. The thing I'm most worried about is Penny was not a particularly strong back. He was taken down by arm tackles when I was watching his play far too often for my liking. He does balance this out in some ways though. He is very good at making defenders take awkward angles, and he possesses a very elusive speed. Players don't realize he has hit his second gear, and they are left grasping for air. He also has a knack for setting up blockers, and seeing even small little creases. He kind of reminds me of Shaun Alexander in these regards. Under the right circumstances he can be a very productive back in this league -- I'm just not sure if those circumstances fit our teams current circumstances.

Time will tell, I really like Penny, and yet on the other hand I see things I really dislike about Penny. I really don't know where I stand on this player.
    Spin Doctor
    NET Veteran

Wed May 02, 2018 6:56 pm
  • MontanaHawk05 wrote:

Pretty much this.

In conclusion, Running Backs are better when they have holes to run trough. When they don't they could get frustrated.
    Smellyman
    NET Veteran

Re: Pick #27
Wed May 02, 2018 7:03 pm
  • seahawkfreak wrote:
    SanDiego49er wrote:
    seahawkfreak wrote:
    SanDiego49er wrote:
    He is at worst the 2nd best RB in this class. Only Barkley you could put ahead of him. He is no slouch of an athlete himself. He is hugely explosive, powerful, strong and stocky and massively productive. In addition he brings elite special teams ability. In fact he might even be the best one. He was way more productive than Barkley.

Thanks for your insights but the last sentence is a bit of an exaggeration.

He put up better #'s by a lot compared to Barkley. I wasn't really joking.

Barkley......1271 yards.......18 TD's.

Penny........2248 yards.......23 TD's.

2017 production.

Barkley......... 632 yards receiving...... 3 TD's

Penny........... 132 yards receiving...... 2TD's

Barkley......... 426 kick return yards...... 2 TD's.... LNG 98 yards

Penny .......... 521 kick return yards...... 2 TD's ..... LNG 100 yards

Barkley....... 2329 total yards....... 23 total TD's
    Penny....... 2903 total yards......... 27 total TD's

I'd say production is pretty close especially considering Barkley played in the probably the top defensive division in the country. Just saying you were exaggerating a little.

So to be clear you don't think 600 more yards and 4 more tds is significant? I could see point if there was less than 200 yards difference.. But cmon you're "exaggerating" if you say the production was equal. That's roughly 25% more yards.
    jlwaters1
    NET Veteran

Re: Pick #27
Wed May 02, 2018 10:04 pm
  • jlwaters1 wrote:
    seahawkfreak wrote:
    SanDiego49er wrote:
    seahawkfreak wrote:
    Thanks for your insights but the last sentence is a bit of an exaggeration.

He put up better #'s by a lot compared to Barkley. I wasn't really joking.

Barkley......1271 yards.......18 TD's.

Penny........2248 yards.......23 TD's.

2017 production.

Barkley......... 632 yards receiving...... 3 TD's

Penny........... 132 yards receiving...... 2TD's

Barkley......... 426 kick return yards...... 2 TD's.... LNG 98 yards

Penny .......... 521 kick return yards...... 2 TD's ..... LNG 100 yards

Barkley....... 2329 total yards....... 23 total TD's
    Penny....... 2903 total yards......... 27 total TD's

I'd say production is pretty close especially considering Barkley played in the probably the top defensive division in the country. Just saying you were exaggerating a little.

So to be clear you don't think 600 more yards and 4 more tds is significant? I could see point if there was less than 200 yards difference.. But cmon you're "exaggerating" if you say the production was equal. That's roughly 25% more yards.

Looking at college production in a vacuum is an exercise in futility, I don't even know why you guys are trying to do so. Penny had better numbers than Barkley, fact. Unfortunately that doesn't mean anything. I do not know what point you guys are trying to make here, because raw college numbers rarely mean anything in the NFL. If they did then Kellen Moore, every air-raid QB and Colt McCoy would have been the top QB's in their draft class. It is a very bad way to judge a collegiate players merit as an NFL pro -- especially when the two players in question play in drastically different conferences, and opponents.
    Spin Doctor
    NET Veteran

Wed May 02, 2018 11:01 pm
  • The Seahawks have zero excuses now.

If the run game doesn't get going after picking up a RG mauler, a top tier RB and a top tier run blocking TE we're in serious trouble.

I suspect by the time the BYE has been and gone the run game will be looking pretty good, though. It's fair to expect some initial teething problems.
    www.hawk-talk.com

Richard Sherman wrote:People look forward to writing us off. Our demise was greatly overstated.
    original poster
    * NET Moderator *

Thu May 03, 2018 5:55 am
  • No doubt, mid-Oct they should have it rollin.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

Thu May 03, 2018 5:58 am
  • SoulfishHawk wrote:No doubt, mid-Oct they should have it rollin.

I hope and pray! ;) :2thumbs:
    www.hawk-talk.com

Richard Sherman wrote:People look forward to writing us off. Our demise was greatly overstated.
    original poster
    * NET Moderator *

Thu May 03, 2018 5:59 am
  • fingers, legs, toes and nads crossed :irishdrinkers:
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

Thu May 03, 2018 5:59 am
  • The comparison I hear most often for Penny is Demarco Murray. Thoughts?

hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

PreviousNext

It is currently Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:56 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information