Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Is it a big reach?

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Re: Is it a big reach?
Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:03 pm
  • vin.couve12 wrote:Uh...running right side zone, right power, or trap left off of Fluker's ass at RG is going to be a killer next year. Split 50/50 with Carson and Penny and just beat it up. Overwhelm with Tyson and then flash with Ali.

Fluker has great reach and heavy hands, but he's not an explosive north-south blocker. He's been a below average guard.

My biggest fears with Penny are his upright running style and wear on his tires, which makes him vulnerable to injuries, and his poor pass protection.
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:10 pm
  • hawknation2018 wrote:
    vin.couve12 wrote:Uh...running right side zone, right power, or trap left off of Fluker's ass at RG is going to be a killer next year. Split 50/50 with Carson and Penny and just beat it up. Overwhelm with Tyson and then flash with Ali.

Fluker has great reach and heavy hands, but he's not an explosive north-south blocker. He's been a below average guard.

My biggest fears with Penny are his upright running style and wear on his tires, which makes him vulnerable to injuries, and his poor pass protection.

PC/JS said that he hadn't been over used or 'run into the ground', one of the things they liked. And that he was durable, no big injury history. :Dunno:
    Long you live and high you fly, and smiles you’ll give and tears you’ll cry, and all you touch and all you see Is all your life will ever be
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:15 pm
  • twisted_steel2 wrote:
    hawknation2018 wrote:
    vin.couve12 wrote:Uh...running right side zone, right power, or trap left off of Fluker's ass at RG is going to be a killer next year. Split 50/50 with Carson and Penny and just beat it up. Overwhelm with Tyson and then flash with Ali.

PC/JS said that he hadn't been over used or 'run into the ground', one of the things they liked. And that he was durable, no big injury history. :Dunno:

He had almost 300 rushing attempts last season. He's taken a lot of hits on special teams too. When you factor in his upright, downhill running style, that's a concern to me.

But they're right that he has been pretty durable, so maybe my worries are unfounded. ;)

hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:38 pm
  • hawknation2018 wrote:

My biggest fears with Penny are his upright running style and wear on his tires, which makes him vulnerable to injuries, and his poor pass protection.[/quote]

Well if he is as productive as Chris Warren I would be fine with his upright running.
    Last edited by seahawkfreak on Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
    "It's Ground Hawks Day" Chris Berman
    seahawkfreak
    NET Veteran

Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:51 pm
  • seahawkfreak wrote:
    hawknation2018 wrote:

Well if he is as productive a Chris Warren I would be fine with his upright running.

Warren ran upright but with a wide base. Penny takes choppy steps. Not sure if that is something they can or will try to change with Penny.
    Last edited by hawknation2018 on Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:51 pm
  • Carson/Penny or Penny/Carson is it now. Brown returns at LT, LG will be a 320+ pound Pocic or Roos a LG, Britt, Fluker at RG and Ifedi at LT. It's a big athletic line either way and we're going to impose again.
    vin.couve12
    .NET Poster of the Month

Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:55 pm
  • hawknation2018 wrote:He had almost 300 rushing attempts last season. He's taken a lot of hits on special teams too. When you factor in his upright, downhill running style, that's a concern to me.

Lots of attempts in 2017 but look at his overall college career where he was splitting carries.

Nick Chubb: 758 attempts
    Saquon Barkley: 671 attempts
    Ronald Jones: 591 attempts
    Sony Michel: 590 attempts
    Kerryon Johnson: 519 attempts
    Rashaad Penny: 488 attempts
    Derrius Guice: 471 attempts
    AgentDib
    NET Veteran

Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:57 pm
  • AgentDib wrote:Derrius Guice: 471 attempts

:180670:
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:00 pm
  • Also 81 kickoff returns for Penny.
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:06 pm
  • Guice is a slightly OK kinda better version of Rawls. Being 224 or not won't matter. He's off kilter and won't last.
    vin.couve12
    .NET Poster of the Month

Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:13 pm
  • https://youtu.be/eM4xLIZybeM

I'm excited, PFF adores him.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." Mark Twain.
    HawksSoc
    NET Veteran

Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:27 pm
  • I think this kid is going to be a surprise for most fans. Watching the post-pick presser with John and Pete you could plainly see their true excitement for the kid. Not contrived, as in "Well we had better come up with something to explain this pick" but a sincere explanation that this was the one they wanted all along. John said in no uncertain terms that they were going to select him at the 18 spot and when they made the trade with Green Bay they were stoked to get him at 27.

He also went as far as to say that for the first time in his career, a team called him AFTER their pick to see if they could grab him away from them. That's amazing. The rumor is Cleveland who many are saying were hoping to pick him at the 33 spot (or whatever spot was imminent in the 2nd).

I think he is precisely the 3-down back they covet. Has excellent hands, can be DEADLY as a returner and has that bruising north-south style with deceptive speed they haven't had since #24. His only knock I've heard is that he needs to work on his blocking but that is something they can work on as he goes along, not something he needs to showcase out of the gate.

Just remember...Just because he isn't the player YOU think they should have picked in the first round doesn't mean he won't prove to be first round material in his career. Give the kid a chance. I'm personally excited to see what he can do for us.

As draft expert Rob Rang - who I greatly admire - said tonight to paraphrase, just wait 12's, once you see what he can do right away your fears will be alleviated.

"Shaquem Griffin tells ESPN after he got drafted by Seattle; 'I can't breathe.' That's the only time you'll hear him say he can't do something." - Dan Wetzel via Twitter.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:38 am
  • hawknation2018 wrote:I don't like the pick, but hope I'm wrong and they're right.

Other than Barkley there wasn't a RB decidedly better than Penny and he checks all the boxes.
    Northwest Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:55 am
  • Northwest Seahawk wrote:
    hawknation2018 wrote:I don't like the pick, but hope I'm wrong and they're right.

Other than Barkley there wasn't a RB decidedly better than Penny and he checks all the boxes.

Nah, there were several. To name one, Derrius Guice is decidedly better. He's on a near-Todd Gurley level and would have been a steal if they could have traded down into the 2nd round.

I think Sony Michel and Ronald Jones are also better. And then there are a host of guys who are at or near Penny's level: Nick Chubb, Royce Freeman, Kerryon Johnson, Ito Smith, etc.

It's just that deep of a draft year, and there's nothing that special about Penny, in my eyes at least. Bad footwork, upright runner, high cut with skinny lower body, poor pass protector; I wouldn't say he checked EVERY box. When supply is high and demand is low for RBs, they could waited to draft one.

Now they have a seemingly average RB, and not a great RT (Connor Williams), DE (Harold Landry or Rasheem Green), CB (Josh Jackson), TE (Dallas Goedert), G (Will Hernandez), or DT (Maurice Hurst). Better prospects at positions of greater need that are not as deep in this draft. JMO.
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:58 am

• Cool moment for Penny and his family.
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:02 am
  • Aros wrote:I think this kid is going to be a surprise for most fans. Watching the post-pick presser with John and Pete you could plainly see their true excitement for the kid. Not contrived, as in "Well we had better come up with something to explain this pick" but a sincere explanation that this was the one they wanted all along. John said in no uncertain terms that they were going to select him at the 18 spot and when they made the trade with Green Bay they were stoked to get him at 27.

He also went as far as to say that for the first time in his career, a team called him AFTER their pick to see if they could grab him away from them. That's amazing. The rumor is Cleveland who many are saying were hoping to pick him at the 33 spot (or whatever spot was imminent in the 2nd).

I think he is precisely the 3-down back they covet. Has excellent hands, can be DEADLY as a returner and has that bruising north-south style with deceptive speed they haven't had since #24. His only knock I've heard is that he needs to work on his blocking but that is something they can work on as he goes along, not something he needs to showcase out of the gate.

Just remember...Just because he isn't the player YOU think they should have picked in the first round doesn't mean he won't prove to be first round material in his career. Give the kid a chance. I'm personally excited to see what he can do for us.

As draft expert Rob Rang - who I greatly admire - said tonight to paraphrase, just wait 12's, once you see what he can do right away your fears will be alleviated.

I don't think many think he is going to be a bust. I feel as if most of the angst directed towards Penny is due to the position, and lack of perceived value. I don't think those criticisms are wrong either, especially considering the elephant in the room: Our offensive line durability, and overall play. I do not think Solari is going to fix these guys overnight. Penny plays a position that is heavily codependent on said offensive line to execute.

Good player, questionable circumstances under which the pick was made. Especially considering the drop off in offensive line talent after Hernandez is pretty steep while the RB position was fairly deep this draft. I can understand why Pete did what he did, I just think he is taking the wrong approach to establishing a dominate running game -- the cart before the pony syndrome if you will.
    Spin Doctor
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:30 am
  • Spin Doctor wrote:I don't think many think he is going to be a bust. I feel as if most of the angst directed towards Penny is due to the position, and lack of perceived value. I don't think those criticisms are wrong either, especially considering the elephant in the room: Our offensive line durability, and overall play. I do not think Solari is going to fix these guys overnight. Penny plays a position that is heavily codependent on said offensive line to execute.

Good player, questionable circumstances under which the pick was made. Especially considering the drop off in offensive line talent after Hernandez is pretty steep while the RB position was fairly deep this draft. I can understand why Pete did what he did, I just think he is taking the wrong approach to establishing a dominate running game -- the cart before the pony syndrome if you will.

On the other hand, Penny was first in YPC when first contact was made at or before the line of scrimmage, so he's possibly the least dependent on OL efficacy in this year's draft class.
    KiwiHawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:03 am
  • All you guys calling him a third down running back should be aware that this kid blocks about as well as Shaun Alexander. If he’s on the field on third down teams are going to blitz because he DOES NOT block.

I’ll be forever grateful to Schneider for helping deliver a Championship, but since 2013 he has done almost nothing in the draft and this pick looks like they haven’t learned a single lesson.
    endzorn
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:15 am
  • massari wrote:
    twisted_steel2 wrote:

I thought you can only trade a guy one year after being drafted.

I don't believe for a second that someone called to trade for fim. This is John's way of making the pick look good. CYA
    seabowl
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:21 am
  • So when we are talking about him running against better talent do we mean teams like Stanford and Arizona State, teams people here gauge how good the Huskies are, against? Because he put something like 175 yds on Stanford and 200 plus on ASU. Just saying.
    Oh and what conference did that Bobby Wagner guy come out of? He seems ok.
    devilhawk88
    NET Practice Squad

Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:22 am
  • This is a great pick....does 3 things...

A)Plays absorbed....Penny and Carson can play all 3 downs...this takes pressure off Russ

B)Play action....like it or not, a 1st round pick signals to opponents we are moving forward with the run and that frees up passing lanes.

C) Pressure off the defense....more 1st downs means less time on field....means more control of trmpo of the game.

I think Prosise is a camp cut ....or moves to WR...
    NewJerseyHawk
    NET Rookie

Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:27 am
  • devilhawk88 wrote:So when we are talking about him running against better talent do we mean teams like Stanford and Arizona State, teams people here gauge how good the Huskies are, against? Because he put something like 175 yds on Stanford and 200 plus on ASU. Just saying.
    Oh and what conference did that Bobby Wagner guy come out of? He seems ok.

Except, Stanford and ASU weren't good against the run last year. They were ranked in the middle of the Pac-12 (Stanford was 7th, allowing 169 yards per game, & ASU was 8th, allowing 175 yards per game). Stanford allowed 4.59 yards per carry (80th nationally). ASU allowed 4.89 yards per carry (96th nationally).

Boise State and Fresno State were the only good teams Penny faced against the run.
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:28 am
  • seabowl wrote:
    massari wrote:
    twisted_steel2 wrote:

I thought you can only trade a guy one year after being drafted.

I don't believe for a second that someone called to trade for fim. This is John's way of making the pick look good. CYA

You think John Schneider just makes shit up, and then straight-up lies? I think people who think that so easily about others with no evidence speak volumes about themselves, TBH.
    GeekHawk
    US Navy ET Nuc

Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:33 am

Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:50 am
  • Rushing defense stats for Rashaad Penny's opponents in 2017:

UC Davis - FCS team, ranked 109th in rushing yards allowed per game (out of 123 FCS teams)
    Arizona State - 96th in rushing yards allowed per carry, 78th in rushing yards allowed per game
    Stanford - 80th in per carry, 68th in per game
    Air Force - 130th in per carry (dead last in FBS), 118th in per game
    Northern Illinois - 5th in per carry, 16th in per game
    UNLV - 120th in per carry, 123rd in per game
    Boise State - 15th in per carry, 17th in per game
    Fresno State - 17th in per carry, 11th in per game
    Hawai'i - 113th in per carry, 111th in per game
    San Jose State - 118th in per carry, 129th in per game (2nd worst in FBS)
    Nevada - 74th in per carry, 110th in per game
    New Mexico - 85th in per carry, 65th in per game
    Army - 116th in per carry, 75th in per game

So I have to correct my initial statement to say that Penny faced THREE good teams against the run: Northern Illinois, Boise State, and Fresno State.

How did he perform in these games? It's a mixed bag.
    Northern Illinois - 25 carries for 107 yards (4.3 YPC), 0 TDs
    Boise State - 21 carries for 53 yards (2.5 YPC), 1 TD
    Fresno State - 15 carries for 69 yards (4.6 YPC), 0 TDs
    Combined - 61 carries for 229 yards (3.7 YPC), 1 TD
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:51 am
  • The hard thing with small school guys is evaluating them on the field against the big schools.

Because their supporting cast is often not as strong as the big school teams. So the opportunities are less.

One thing though, I have found that a really good measuring stick is the Senior Bowl. Not the practices, we hear stuff all the time about the practices and guys that do tremendously well don't always do incredibly well in the NFL.

When you put those guys on a team with other players that are also solid, against some of the best competition in the nation - sometimes guys shine or flash greatness. There were certain guys that just looked better or did amazing things there - and sure enough, did it in the NFL. I remember being wowed by Jason Taylor or Curtis Martin as examples.
    In fact, (though observations on what is 'great' or 'amazing' are subjective), I only remember it failing once - a WR from Wyoming that went to Detroit and did nothing. I was sure he was going to be incredible, he wasn't.

So I expect really big things from Hernandez and Davenport. And yes, Hernandez was available but...we have some rough luck with high OL picks lately. But Penny shined and I expect he is going to be fantastic.

No he isn't a great blocker but maybe if we have the RB in the flat to catch the pass if the QB is in trouble....we won't need a blocker. (Or get a #@*#$()@#*$@(#$@ fullback!!!) More importantly, we won't be asking Russ to take 17 step drops to hurl up long bombs while we keep everyone in to block. Because even when it works I hate it, fools gold.

We needed a RB. I am not at all sold on Carson as a primary RB threat. We got what looks to be a good one that can also be a receiving threat. I wanted either Penny or Michel, or if we missed on them....Ballage. We got one we needed.
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:55 am
  • Great player, I've always thought he could be the best back in the draft. I just wanted him in the later but obviously we dont have the picks to wait till later so they drafted their guy with the one and only shot they could've.
    But I've been on the Penny train and hoped his stock would stay low
    JumpmanXhawk
    NET Bench Warmer

Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:55 am
  • TwistedHusky wrote:No he isn't a great blocker but maybe if we have the RB in the flat to catch the pass if the QB is in trouble....we won't need a blocker. (Or get a #@*#$()@#*$@(#$@ fullback!!!)

Carroll actually mentioned a fullback again during his post-first round press conference. He said Penny knows how to run behind a fullback, as an example of something the Seahawks will do.

BTW, good post.
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:03 am
    mistaowen
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:10 am
  • It could have been worse. If Cable was here, the Seahawks may have chosen Kolton Miller, T, UCLA. That distinction now thankfully goes to the Raiders. I'm glad the Seahawks rid themselves of the Cable problem and this draft looks better already because of it.
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:46 am
  • It's only a reach in the mind of the doom and gloom "12s" :lol:
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:56 am
  • Spin Doctor wrote:I don't think many think he is going to be a bust. I feel as if most of the angst directed towards Penny is due to the position, and lack of perceived value. I don't think those criticisms are wrong either, especially considering the elephant in the room: Our offensive line durability, and overall play. I do not think Solari is going to fix these guys overnight. Penny plays a position that is heavily codependent on said offensive line to execute.

This is sort of where my take is. The player looks fine, it's just we choose a RB-deep draft as our moment to use the first on a RB, when it is a completely open question as to whether the line will allow us to extract value from the back.

I don't know. I'm not *mad*. I would characterize my mood as high on the player but disappointed in the strategy.

If Solari can fix the line and Penny slashes up the league, it'll be a great decision even if we could have had a good back later. If the line sucks and Penny is bottled up behind it it'll be another bad decision around the offense.
    hawk45
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:26 am
  • "Is it a big reach?" :177692: Na...... but there are always going to be some who are dumbfounded by an actual selection. It is really too much to expect everyone to keep up with year to year changes to drafting criterion and goals. This year features a reset of some very important drafting criterion. It's reflected in the make up of the young man they drafted.
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

Re: #biggest reach ever
Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:09 pm
  • Fade wrote:
    Beast.

I'm just going to leave this right here. :2thumbs:
    "...the disrespect has been well noted and will not be forgotten." - Earl Thomas, discussing the Cowboys only offering a 2nd rounder in a trade for him.
    chawx
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:27 pm
  • I actually felt better watching the more complete footage than I did watching the highlights.

On the highlights there are a ton of long yards but most of them there was a hole the size of which he is unlikely to see on this football team, and he made a shifty move to ditch a guy and then nobody was close to catching him. Which made me really question the speed of the secondaries he was facing in that conference, because usually he was able to slow down by the 20 yard line that's how pathetic the pursuit was.

Watching the runs that were NOT breakaways reassured me he can actually run when it's not just one shift then off to the races.

The way he moves reminds me of Prosise. No eye-grabbing lateral jumps, just small efficient lateral shifts while still running downhill. To me it's one of the things that makes Prosise a threat to bust a long one every time he touches the ball - the fact that he makes his moves at speed as often as not. I'm also sure that's why vin made the Percy comp. The sheer acceleration isn't close to Harvin (more Prosise to me as I said) but all 3 of those backs share the ability to make moves while minimizing the loss of forward momentum.

I didn't see a ton of busted tackles so I'm wondering if I'm watching the right highlights. What I saw was that when he was met in the backfield he would turn and run the other way and use his speed to gain those YAC. So unless I see something different I'm wondering if that YAC stat of his isn't a little misleading. Because changing field direction like that doesn't translate well in the NFL, behind our line least of all. Whereas the Lynch YAC method of dragging 3 guys does.

But whatever. If all he ever did was run close to Prosise and stay healthy it'd be worth a first in my book. Prosise wasn't a YAC guy but I'd love to have him tote the rock all 3 downs if he could stay healthy past stepping off the plane.
    hawk45
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:53 pm
  • I'm the dumb guy that thinks that Penney may be a superior RB to Barkley, want some reasons?

If you "click on the headers" on the below link: Of all the RB 2018 draft prospects....................
    Reference: http://www.cfbstats.com/2017/leader/nat ... ort01.html

Attempts: Penney #2 with 289 rushes. (Barcley #31 with 217)
    Yards: Penney #1 with 2248-yds (Barkley #28 with 1271-yds) - That's a 977-yard difference!
    Rushing TD's: Penney #1 with 23-TD's (Barkley #5 with 18-TD's)
    Longest Rush: Penney #1 with a 99-yard gain. (Barkley #2 with 82-yard gain)
    1-st downs rushing: Penney #3 with 81 (Behind Bradshaw & L. Jackson) (Barkley #50 with 49)
    10+ yard rushes: Penney #2 with 58, (behind only L. Jackson) (Barkley #49 with 29)
    20+ yard rushes: Penney #1 with 29. (Barkley is #10 with 14)
    Total offense in all 2017 games (see link below) Penney is #89 on this last, AFTER -- 88 QB's.
    (and, Barkley doesn't come close to the top 100 list for total offense).
    http://www.cfbstats.com/2017/leader/nat ... ort01.html

+ Add in Penney's KO returns for career: 81/2449-yds/7-TD's & 2/70-yds/1-TD punt returns.
    on and on. Yes, Barkley may be a better receiver, right now, but IMO, Penney is the better pure RB. Concerns about his pass blocking efforts doesn't seem to be such a big problem, simply because HE was the whole offense and wasn't asked to block much. He'll learn that aspect easily before his 1-st real NFL game. Go ahead and flame on me, They got the guy I wanted and I'm very happy and excited about it. Next season will be Super "Special". One cut and go is back!
    :smilingalien:
    ------------------Rashaad Penny, the next great Seahawks RB.------------------
    CamanoIslandJQ
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:04 pm
  • chawx wrote:
    Fade wrote:
    Beast.

Hawaii has two #31's on their roster last year so it's either a Jr. LB that weighs 235, or less likely A Sr. WR that weighs 200. In any case, whoever he is he should hang his head. That guy likely has rug burns on his dingus, AND, Penney hardly slowed down as he was dragging that defender for 10-yards. That's some power on display right there. I can't wait for the season now, they got my guy! I'm jacked & pumped.
    :smilingalien:
    ------------------Rashaad Penny, the next great Seahawks RB.------------------
    CamanoIslandJQ
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:07 pm
  • I liked the pick but after listening to his coach on kjr this afternoon I LOVE THE PICK.

Our RB situation was among the worst in the NFL last year. It would surprise me if he doesnt get 1100 or 1200 yrds next year
    justafan
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:06 pm
  • chawx wrote:Image

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

:P
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:17 pm
  • There were 5 RB taken in a span of 17 picks, so no it wasn’t a reach. Teams are drafting them higher this year, even with a deep class, probably after the crazy success of Hunt and Kamara last season.
    naholmes
    NET Starter

Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:30 pm
  • While it was certainly a deep RB class, not all RBs taken in the 2nd rd are equal. Some on here seem to be suggesting the Hawks should have traded down well into the 2nd and, "just take any RB because they're all good enough." This is not true at all, and the fact that Guice fell so far suggests that he, at least, has red flags for every team. And considering the FIT for the Hawks, this is more of a steal than a reach, after we traded down and picked up a 3rd rd selection.

If we'd taken Green at 27 and used a 3rd to pick up an RB other than Penny after the run on RBs, some on here might be happy enough. But we did even better by getting Green and PENNY, the better choice at RB. Not a reach at all, just great acquisitions.
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:30 am
  • Ad Hawk wrote:While it was certainly a deep RB class, not all RBs taken in the 2nd rd are equal. Some on here seem to be suggesting the Hawks should have traded down well into the 2nd and, "just take any RB because they're all good enough." This is not true at all, and the fact that Guice fell so far suggests that he, at least, has red flags for every team. And considering the FIT for the Hawks, this is more of a steal than a reach, after we traded down and picked up a 3rd rd selection.

If we'd taken Green at 27 and used a 3rd to pick up an RB other than Penny after the run on RBs, some on here might be happy enough. But we did even better by getting Green and PENNY, the better choice at RB. Not a reach at all, just great acquisitions.

Looks like the Seahawks started the run on running backs. 5 went in the next 17 picks, Penny included. So they obviously got their guy. Instead of having to settle for the leftovers.
    Long you live and high you fly, and smiles you’ll give and tears you’ll cry, and all you touch and all you see Is all your life will ever be
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:57 pm
  • Its true that Penny played against “inferior” competition compared to Barkley, Jones, Chubb, et al. That also means his offensive line was likely “inferior” compared to the ones those guys had.
    Help bring peace to the South LA / Puget Sound communities. Are you in?
    http://www.abetterla.org | http://www.abetterseattle.com
    sc85sis
    NET Veteran

Previous

It is currently Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:04 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information