Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Why Didn't the Seahawks Trade Down?

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:58 pm

• They could've got AT LEAST picks #52+#125+2019 2nd round pick for pick #27.

Penny is great, but I really wanted them to get a CB, DL and OL in the early rounds and pick a RB in the 3rd or 4th.

EDIT: What is it that separates him from the other RB's that could've been had in rounds 2-4?
    Last edited by massari on Wed May 09, 2018 8:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.
    massari
    NET Veteran

Re: Why Didn't the Seahawks Trade Down?
Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:04 pm
  • Seattle wanted Penny
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:05 pm
  • massari wrote:
    They could've got AT LEAST picks #52+#125+2019 2nd round pick for pick #27.

Penny is great, but I really wanted them to get a CB, DL and OL in the early rounds and pick a RB in the 3rd or 4th.

Penny would have likely been gone by then. If he was their guy all along, you have to take him.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:06 pm
  • Ravens might have waited to see if he would make it to eagles pick before offering a trade. My guess is Penny was their guy and didn’t want him to go early second round.
    mistaowen
    NET Veteran

Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:10 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:Seattle wanted Penny

They want another Super Bowl more, but they aren't going to get it without a CB, DL and LG.

RB's are easier than any other position to find a stud in the middle rounds.
    massari
    NET Veteran

Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:13 pm
  • massari wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:Seattle wanted Penny

They want another Super Bowl more, but they aren't going to get it without a CB, DL and LG.

and yet... they took Penny..
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:14 pm
  • massari wrote:
    They could've got AT LEAST picks #52+#125+2019 2nd round pick for pick #27.

Given, 27 is a fair bit higher than 32 so maybe the Ravens were confident Lamar wouldn't go at 27ish. Doesn't mean it was impossible for us to get this kind of haul, but it must've been difficult.
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran

Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:17 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    massari wrote:

So back to the original question. Why? Are there guys at those positions that will make an immediate impact like a rookie RB from the middle rounds can that I don't know about?

Classic meaningful Uncle SI posts.
    massari
    NET Veteran

Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:26 pm
  • I assume you noticed that the Eagles were also giving up pick #132 in that, so the benefit to them was the 2019 pick as compensation for losing quite a bit of draft capital in 2018. The Hawks are trying to be competitive this year and so I'm not surprised they wouldn't be interested in that.

Would the Ravens have done a third round pick in 2018 instead? Perhaps, but it's not a given considering how high everybody is on the 2nd and 3rd rounds this year in particular. Furthermore, the drop-off from #27 to #52 is quite a lot and the Hawks were not the only team that liked Penny. He was PFF's #2 RB for instance, not that I'm a big PFF fan.

What I know is that the Hawks were on the phone quite a bit during the #27 selection, and that's most likely because they were listening to trade down offers. They didn't get a deal they liked in terms of 2018 compensation to make the move and so they stayed and took the guy they wanted.
    AgentDib
    NET Veteran

Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:29 pm
  • John Schneider called Rashaad at pick 27 and said, "...do you want to get selected here or do you want us to wait and trade back?"
    Penny said, "I want to get selected now."
    Heyseed
    NET Veteran

Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:32 pm
  • Heyseed wrote:John Schneider called Rashaad at pick 27 and said, "...do you want to get selected here or do you want us to wait and trade back?"

You can't think Schneider was serious can you?
    Seanhawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:40 pm
  • They did trade down and picked up a 3rd rounder. Seems like the pick was Penny the whole way and the trade was already in place. I hope they can get a good pass rusher later on.
    naholmes
    NET Starter

Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:40 pm
  • Funny how everyone knows where players are going to be picked. For instance, saying the Browns wanted Penny at #33. What, how the hell do you know? Obliviously there are surprises in the draft and you just don't know what is going to happen.

Despite where Penny would have been selected, there are some very good RBs on the board and I thought we were looing for a ML replacement not a CJ Procise sub.
    "It's Ground Hawks Day" Chris Berman
    seahawkfreak
    NET Veteran

Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:41 pm
  • Seanhawk wrote:
    Heyseed wrote:John Schneider called Rashaad at pick 27 and said, "...do you want to get selected here or do you want us to wait and trade back?"

You can't think Schneider was serious can you?

You can't think Heyseed was serious can you?
    therealjohncarlson
    NET Veteran

Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:06 pm
  • massari wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:
    massari wrote:

So back to the original question. Why? Are there guys at those positions that will make an immediate impact like a rookie RB from the middle rounds can that I don't know about?

You asked a question that makes no sense. They took him because they wanted him. They didn’t trade down to take other players because this was the guy they wanted. “Why didn’t they do all these other things?”

If you want to question that action than do it. Asking why they didn’t do something because they wanted to do something else is a nonsensical post.

Sorry.. classic Massari post.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:54 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:You asked a question that makes no sense. They took him because they wanted him. They didn’t trade down to take other players because this was the guy they wanted. “Why didn’t they do all these other things?”

If you want to question that action than do it. Asking why they didn’t do something because they wanted to do something else is a nonsensical post.

Sorry.. classic Massari post.

Jesus
    massari
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:42 am
  • So many holes. DL, CB, OL. If they couldn't land a Kalen Ballage or John Kelly type in the middle rounds and a guy like Rawls/Carson later on, free agent CJ Anderson could have been the final option to go with a stud in the 2nd round like Hernandez, Corbett, Landry, Greene, Oliver, Jackson, Daniels, Goedert, C.Williams, Mo Hurst, J Sweat, ect ect ect.

Just don't know of any DL's, CB's or OL's from the middle rounds or left in free agency that can make an immediate impact like some of those RB's later on or like free agent CJ Anderson.

Chances are a great RB will be there at #52 while getting other goodies for the #27 pick if they're dead set on adding an early round RB.
    massari
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:29 am
  • If Penny was their guy then I’m happy they went ahead and got him.
    brimsalabim
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:33 am
  • Penny seems like a solid RB. But that won't mean anything without holes to run through. Alex Collins couldn't do much with us -- but incredibly became a near 1,000 yard rusher with Baltimore last season.
    Tusc2000
    NET Rookie

Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:59 am
  • Tusc2000 wrote:Penny seems like a solid RB. But that won't mean anything without holes to run through. Alex Collins couldn't do much with us -- but incredibly became a near 1,000 yard rusher with Baltimore last season. Until our O-line gets fixed, we're screwed.

Well I think that was the reason for the Cable firing. I guess the FO might be trying to see if Solari can make the difference vs blowing up the personnel.

Plus OL is such a crap shoot these days. If you aren’t sure any of them are any good, do you gamble your first round pick on one?
    Mad Dog
    NET Rookie

Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:01 am
  • Tusc2000 wrote:Penny seems like a solid RB. But that won't mean anything without holes to run through. Alex Collins couldn't do much with us -- but incredibly became a near 1,000 yard rusher with Baltimore last season. Until our O-line gets fixed, we're screwed.

We've drafted OL in the 1 or 2 round almost every year for awhile now, and yet our OL still sucks. You really wanted these guys to waste another pick on a OL? Why? So we can complain about the guy for 3 years then watch him leave?
    CPHawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:17 am
  • I love Penny. I'm skeptical about the line as most are but to be fair we should give Solari/Schott a chance to see what they can do, Fluker is solid in the run game and we still have a lot of draft left to improve in that regard. Penny assuming the line can be even slightly below average is going to be very, very good.
    austinslater25
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:25 am
  • 'Why Didn't the Seahawks Trade Down?'

It takes two teams or more to trade and the team wasn't getting appropriate trade deals that they liked more than drafting Penny. In other words their valuation of Penny was higher than the return available by trade.

Trades aren't as easy to make as mock draft trades.

The pick is growing on me as I read more about him and watch the film available. The constantly injured Prosise has a new threat to his roster spot.
    Until we develop a pass rush that will cause opposing teams to be forced to scheme to defend it we will never be able to consistently take the final step. The interior rush needs improvement. The OLine clearly still needs work.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions at last after 38 seasons. Awesome!!!
    jammerhawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:41 am
  • Easy question to ask.
    Hard question to answer.

You have to have a dance partner when it comes to trading draft spots.

And it’s a gamble no matter what.
    All depends on how bad you want “x”, and what you predict the other teams are going to do.

I don’t/didn’t hate the pick, and I’m not upset with where they made it because they could have lost him.

I assume they didn’t trade down and hope to get him later because they either didn’t have a partner that fit, or they wanted him bad enough that the gamble wasn’t worth it.
    ITS A GREAT TIME TO BE A SEAHAWK FAN !
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:58 am
  • The perfect is also the enemy of the good.

Sure, we could have traded down.

We could have also missed out on Penny in doing so.

Penny should be solid for us, and less risk at a position we had dire need.

While good and sometimes great RBs come from the later rounds, so do a lot of duds. And there hasn't been a lot of people that have shown a good process to identify WHICH 5th round pick is going to be the RB that pops vs the other 5th round picks that fizzle out. We needed a RB NOW. Waiting might have screwed us.

(And this FO has a history of getting cute in trading down, to get guys that do not move the needle. I am fine with not trading down again if we get a guy we need and that guy makes an impact. If we lose out on the chance for another 7th round pick that nobody will remember? I think we will be OK.)
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:04 am
  • TwistedHusky wrote:The perfect is also the enemy of the good.

While good and sometimes great RBs come from the later rounds, so do a lot of duds. And there hasn't been a lot of people that have shown a good process to identify WHICH 5th round pick is going to be the RB that pops vs the other 5th round picks that fizzle out. We needed a RB NOW. Waiting might have screwed us.

(And this FO has a history of getting cute in trading down, to get guys that do not move the needle. I am fine with not trading down again if we get a guy we need and that guy makes an impact. If we lose out on the chance for another 7th round pick that nobody will remember? I think we will be OK.)

This. Before yesterday everyone bitches we always trade down for mid tier players instead of taking a stud. Yesterday they take a stud (in their eyes) and people bitch about not trading down. I can see merits to both points, but I'm excited to see how the pick shakes out.
    dadof3
    NET Rookie

Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:17 am
  • If there was trade down offers for a second time they may have been too far down for them to be confident that they would still get their guy, especially with Sony Michel getting picked soon after which may indicate the run on RBs starting.

Last year they traded down twice and ended up stuck with Malik. With a smaller board that likely now excludes the players with similar issues as Malik, you gotta take the guy you want when you have the chance to, otherwise you’re left holding the bag.
    kobebryant
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:22 am
  • dadof3 wrote:
    TwistedHusky wrote:The perfect is also the enemy of the good.

This. Before yesterday everyone bitches we always trade down for mid tier players instead of taking a stud. Yesterday they take a stud (in their eyes) and people bitch about not trading down. I can see merits to both points, but I'm excited to see how the pick shakes out.

Personally, I don't mind trading down. It's the picks themselves that haven't been good. The only problem I have with Penny is his position.
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:50 am
  • Kid could be the next Marshall Faulk for all we know and if PC/JS believe he is the real deal and can help get the run game going then I'm on board too. Continuity with the OL and a new staff should help.
    Last edited by TheHawkDoc on Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
    TheHawkDoc
    NET Rookie

Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:12 am
  • massari wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:
    massari wrote:

Clearly they felt Penny was better than the RB's that would have been there at 52.

Classic meaningful massari post.
    ImTheScientist wrote:This guy is the closest thing to beast mode we will ever see. You got a glimpse of that yesterday. He was instantly my favorite player when they signed him. Give the dude a chance and don't overreact or overthink preseason. Go Hawks. Lacy will rush for 1,100 and 10TDs. Bend the knee.
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:44 am
  • There's a reason that Guist (who I was hoping for), Michel and Chubb are ALL still on the board in the 2nd round. Just sayin......
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:48 am
  • SoulfishHawk wrote:There's a reason that Guist (who I was hoping for), Michel and Chubb are ALL still on the board in the 2nd round. Just sayin......

Not all of them are still available.
    kobebryant
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:55 am
  • My bad, forgot Michel went late AFTER us to the Pats. Guist and Chubb still there, and were both very highly rated.
    I'm happy w/the Hawks pick.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:22 am
  • Hasselbeck wrote:
    massari wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:
    massari wrote:They want another Super Bowl more, but they aren't going to get it without a CB, DL and LG.

Clearly they felt Penny was better than the RB's that would have been there at 52.

Stalking me again breh?

Look at it this way. Would you rather have Penny in the 1st and a guy like Dorance Armstrong/ Holton Hill in the 3rd or would you rather have a guy like Rasheem Green/Landry/Mo Hurst/Oliver/Josh Jackson/Corbett ect ect in the 2nd and a RB like Kalen Ballage/John Kelly/CJ Anderson+2019 2nd round pick?

No shit Penny is considered better at this point than RB's like Ballage/Kelly ect, but it's a hell of a lot easier finding RB's later than pass rushers, corners and OL. AND they'd of gotten a 2nd rounder next year.

Hopefully Schneider didn't turn down an even bigger off than what the Ravens gave up to the Eagles.
    massari
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:36 am
  • Well, plenty of people have convinced themselves that they actually know what the Hawks turned down or were offered.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:30 am
  • massari wrote:
    Hasselbeck wrote:
    massari wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:

Stalking me again breh?

Look at it this way. Would you rather have Penny in the 1st and a guy like Dorance Armstrong/ Holton Hill in the 3rd or would you rather have a guy like Rasheem Green/Landry/Mo Hurst/Oliver/Josh Jackson/Corbett ect ect in the 2nd and a RB like Kalen Ballage/John Kelly/CJ Anderson+2019 2nd round pick?

No shit Penny is considered better at this point than RB's like Ballage/Kelly ect, but it's a hell of a lot easier finding RB's later than pass rushers, corners and OL. AND they'd of gotten a 2nd rounder next year.

Hopefully Schneider didn't turn down an even bigger off than what the Ravens gave up to the Eagles.

You started the thread. Is it stalking to reply in it? Jesus.

You’re now talking about options the team could’ve done that do not include the player they clearly wanted. That’s the key, like it or not (which can be debated), but makes your “question” silly.

This is who they wanted and trading down may have left them out of getting him.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:51 am

Penny also led the draft class in elusive rating – PFF’s rushing metric that attempts to distil what a back did independent of the blocking that was given to him by looking at broken tackles and yards after contact. Penny broke 80 tackles on the ground last season and two more as a receiver. That figure was by far the most of anybody in this draft class, more than 20 clear of the rest of the field.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/draft-san-diego-state-rb-rashaad-penny-a-first-round-talent

With the above stats think about our offensive line last year. Now, it should start to become clear why Penny was the best fit for Seattle in the FO's eyes to immediately improve the running game.
    DJrmb
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:22 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    massari wrote:
    Hasselbeck wrote:
    massari wrote:So back to the original question. Why? Are there guys at those positions that will make an immediate impact like a rookie RB from the middle rounds can that I don't know about?

Stalking me again breh?

You started the thread. Is it stalking to reply in it? Jesus.

haha actually the guy/girl who's profile says they're 34 years old (old enough to be my dad) always replies to me ever since I joined this forum like I killed his dog or *mod edit*his wife. idk it's kind of getting annoying though.
    massari
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:40 pm
  • kobebryant wrote:If there was trade down offers for a second time they may have been too far down for them to be confident that they would still get their guy, especially with Sony Michel getting picked soon after which may indicate the run on RBs starting.

Last year they traded down twice and ended up stuck with Malik. With a smaller board that likely now excludes the players with similar issues as Malik, you gotta take the guy you want when you have the chance to, otherwise you’re left holding the bag.

This! Last year they had multiple prospects they valued similarly and just traded down because they could acquire more picks and still get someone who they valued similarly at a later spot. Numerous people complained they shouldn't have done that and should have instead taken the best pick they had on their board (which I guess some here assumed was the one they wanted).
    This year they do exactly that, decide on a player that is most important to them and make sure that they get him. And people complain again. After hearing from John Schneider that some other team wanted to trade for Rashaad right after they picked him, it seems that it would have been very risky to trade down any further if you really want that player and not just some other good RB.

Sure you can argue that RBs shouldn't be taken in the first round, or that it would have been more important to take a different position (e.g. OT), but if you wanted Rashaad Penny, it seems like it was the right decision to take him at 27.
    "It's payback, Russell Wilson falling way back, in the draft, turn nothing into something"
    rossob
    NET Rookie

Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:54 pm
  • massari wrote:
    Hasselbeck wrote:
    massari wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:

Stalking me again breh?

We have plucked pass rushers of the refuse pile of other teams, Brock, Clemens, signed guys like Bennett for a cheap contract initially, drafted our CB's in the 5th up thru the third or very late, we have spent several picks on O lineman in the first and second round. We have seen a Carson and a Ware and Collins picked lower then 1st, Prosise was a 3rd I believe, The one guy we had that made a difference was picked where? Oh the first round, 12th pick hmmm. Think about it.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:26 pm
  • Consider the company that Penny is now in, Curt Warner and Shaun Alexander, those guys worked out ok as first rounders.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:26 pm
  • The way i see... is that for the 27th pick we got a very good running back and a 3rd round pick in this years draft. So i'm very happy with the result.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk
    HawaiiD
    NET Rookie

Wed May 09, 2018 8:18 pm
  • DJrmb wrote:Image

Penny also led the draft class in elusive rating – PFF’s rushing metric that attempts to distil what a back did independent of the blocking that was given to him by looking at broken tackles and yards after contact. Penny broke 80 tackles on the ground last season and two more as a receiver. That figure was by far the most of anybody in this draft class, more than 20 clear of the rest of the field.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/draft-san-diego-state-rb-rashaad-penny-a-first-round-talent

With the above stats think about our offensive line last year. Now, it should start to become clear why Penny was the best fit for Seattle in the FO's eyes to immediately improve the running game.

This was the kind of response I was hoping for. Thank you!

Also, just found this breakdown of Penny and suggests those numbers may be inflated. :(

massari
    NET Veteran

Wed May 09, 2018 11:05 pm
  • This is typical "talent can only be found in the first round syndrome".

They literally addressed all the needs you listed, just because they're not 1st round picks doesn't mean they're set for failure.

If they'd have gone DL in the first would you moan they didn't go OL and corner (and RB!)?
    www.hawk-talk.com

Richard Sherman wrote:People look forward to writing us off. Our demise was greatly overstated.
    original poster
    * NET Moderator *

Wed May 09, 2018 11:08 pm
  • Because you got a star in Rashaad Penny. He is worth every bit of where you picked him and much more than that in fact. He is far better than the 27th best player in this draft. I can tell you that much. You got a top 10 - 15 player in this draft. If he stays healthy and you put a decent O Line in front of him he will go to Pro Bowls. When you see him play you will understand. I can tell you lack familiarity with Penny. Because if you were familiar with him and had seen him play this would not even be a question. Don't pay attention to the so called "draft expert" sites on the internet. Any arm chair guy can build a site and call himself a draft expert and tons and tons of them do. They just watch big name programs. They have never watched Penny. San Diego State doesn't get a lot of nationally televised games. I've seen him play every game of his career. Both home and away. In person and on TV. You got a star on your team. When you see how good he is he will be a fan favorite. Be thankful that you got him. I wish we did. But you guys got him and you are about to find out how good he really is.
    SanDiego49er
    NET Rookie

Thu May 10, 2018 2:33 am
  • original poster wrote:This is typical "talent can only be found in the first round syndrome".

They literally addressed all the needs you listed, just because they're not 1st round picks doesn't mean they're set for failure.

If they'd have gone DL in the first would you moan they didn't go OL and corner (and RB!)?

Sorry for questioning (moaning about) a particular move there, hardcore. :|

The question was basically what makes picking Penny a priority over getting extra picks and RB's they can get in the 2nd-4th rounds + a free agent like CJ Anderson (now signed elsewhere)? Usually the RB position is the most common to find a stud in the 2nd-4th rounds that will be able to contribute early on in his rookie season.

With so many holes thanks to injuries and players being traded/leaving via free agency, would've thought they'd try to get more early picks and go for a RB outside the 1st rd.

So like the title of this thread reads "Why didn't the Seahawks trade down?". "DJrmb" has been the most help answering that. ;)
    massari
    NET Veteran

Thu May 10, 2018 7:37 am
  • massari wrote:
    original poster wrote:This is typical "talent can only be found in the first round syndrome".

The question was basically what makes picking Penny a priority over getting extra picks and RB's they can get in the 2nd-4th rounds + a free agent like CJ Anderson (now signed elsewhere)? Usually the RB position is the most common to find a stud in the 2nd-4th rounds that will be able to contribute early on in his rookie season.

Maybe the Seahawks don't evaluate RB's the way you do. Maybe they don't agree that the position is easier to draft in the middle rounds. Or maybe they didn't like Ballage (understandable) or Anderson (even more understandable) as much as you do.

And I suspect they aren't as down on their CB, OL, or DL spots as you are.

Honestly, bro, I think your question has been answered by a lot of people in this thread. You walked in treating "RB is easier to fill in the middle rounds" as some fundamental unquestionable axiom of the universe. The Seahawks obviously disagreed.
    GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

Thu May 10, 2018 7:45 am
  • massari wrote:
    original poster wrote:This is typical "talent can only be found in the first round syndrome".

With so many holes thanks to injuries and players being traded/leaving via free agency, would've thought they'd try to get more early picks and go for a RB outside the 1st rd.

So like the title of this thread reads "Why didn't the Seahawks trade down?". "DJrmb" has been the most help answering that. ;)

Well, they've tried that. Michael and Turbin are 2nd and 4th round whiffs. So if Penny does perform as advertised, I think this will begin to make more sense.
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

Thu May 10, 2018 7:53 am
  • MontanaHawk05 wrote:
    massari wrote:

Maybe the Seahawks don't evaluate RB's the way you do. Maybe they don't agree that the position is easier to draft in the middle rounds. Or maybe they didn't like Ballage (understandable) or Anderson (even more understandable) as much as you do.

And I suspect they aren't as down on their CB, OL, or DL spots as you are.

Honestly, bro, I think your question has been answered by a lot of people in this thread. You walked in treating "RB is easier to fill in the middle rounds" as some fundamental unquestionable axiom of the universe. The Seahawks obviously disagreed.

Nailed it.
    www.hawk-talk.com

Richard Sherman wrote:People look forward to writing us off. Our demise was greatly overstated.
    original poster
    * NET Moderator *

Thu May 10, 2018 8:09 am
  • Everyone thinks it is so easy to move down in the draft and get good value. That is flawed thinking. Deals may appear in one pick and disappear the next. Just because one deal was made to trade down didn't mean that the Seahawks could have received the same deal.

The answer is simple, John took Penny because he felt his value was higher than the options he had to trade out of that spot.
    BullHawk33
    NET Starter

Next

It is currently Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:52 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information