Why Didn't the Seahawks Trade Down?

massari

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/FieldYates/status/989708901707866113[/tweet]
They could've got AT LEAST picks #52+#125+2019 2nd round pick for pick #27.

Penny is great, but I really wanted them to get a CB, DL and OL in the early rounds and pick a RB in the 3rd or 4th.

EDIT: What is it that separates him from the other RB's that could've been had in rounds 2-4?

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
massari":19kuc7cr said:

Penny is great, but I really wanted them to get a CB, DL and OL in the early rounds and pick a RB in the 3rd or 4th.
Penny would have likely been gone by then. If he was their guy all along, you have to take him.

mistaowen

Reaction score
Ravens might have waited to see if he would make it to eagles pick before offering a trade. My guess is Penny was their guy and didn’t want him to go early second round.

OP
OP
M

massari

Reaction score
Uncle Si":28rfeuoo said:
Seattle wanted Penny
They want another Super Bowl more, but they aren't going to get it without a CB, DL and LG.

RB's are easier than any other position to find a stud in the middle rounds.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
massari":2oint08m said:
Uncle Si":2oint08m said:
Seattle wanted Penny
They want another Super Bowl more, but they aren't going to get it without a CB, DL and LG.

and yet... they took Penny..

adeltaY

Reaction score
massari":1ic602lb said:

Given, 27 is a fair bit higher than 32 so maybe the Ravens were confident Lamar wouldn't go at 27ish. Doesn't mean it was impossible for us to get this kind of haul, but it must've been difficult.

OP
OP
M

massari

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3nyipwim said:
massari":3nyipwim said:
Uncle Si":3nyipwim said:
Seattle wanted Penny

So back to the original question. Why? Are there guys at those positions that will make an immediate impact like a rookie RB from the middle rounds can that I don't know about?

Classic meaningful Uncle SI posts.

AgentDib

Reaction score
I assume you noticed that the Eagles were also giving up pick #132 in that, so the benefit to them was the 2019 pick as compensation for losing quite a bit of draft capital in 2018. The Hawks are trying to be competitive this year and so I'm not surprised they wouldn't be interested in that.

Would the Ravens have done a third round pick in 2018 instead? Perhaps, but it's not a given considering how high everybody is on the 2nd and 3rd rounds this year in particular. Furthermore, the drop-off from #27 to #52 is quite a lot and the Hawks were not the only team that liked Penny. He was PFF's #2 RB for instance, not that I'm a big PFF fan.

What I know is that the Hawks were on the phone quite a bit during the #27 selection, and that's most likely because they were listening to trade down offers. They didn't get a deal they liked in terms of 2018 compensation to make the move and so they stayed and took the guy they wanted.

Heyseed

Reaction score
John Schneider called Rashaad at pick 27 and said, "...do you want to get selected here or do you want us to wait and trade back?"
Penny said, "I want to get selected now."

Seanhawk

Reaction score
Heyseed":3a4kdhmr said:
John Schneider called Rashaad at pick 27 and said, "...do you want to get selected here or do you want us to wait and trade back?"

You can't think Schneider was serious can you?

naholmes

Reaction score
They did trade down and picked up a 3rd rounder. Seems like the pick was Penny the whole way and the trade was already in place. I hope they can get a good pass rusher later on.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Funny how everyone knows where players are going to be picked. For instance, saying the Browns wanted Penny at #33. What, how the hell do you know? Obliviously there are surprises in the draft and you just don't know what is going to happen.

Despite where Penny would have been selected, there are some very good RBs on the board and I thought we were looing for a ML replacement not a CJ Procise sub.

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
Seanhawk":9fgc5cdj said:
Heyseed":9fgc5cdj said:

You can't think Schneider was serious can you?

You can't think Heyseed was serious can you?

Uncle Si

Reaction score
massari":1mi7wg6i said:
Uncle Si":1mi7wg6i said:
massari":1mi7wg6i said:
Uncle Si":1mi7wg6i said:
Seattle wanted Penny

So back to the original question. Why? Are there guys at those positions that will make an immediate impact like a rookie RB from the middle rounds can that I don't know about?

Classic meaningful Uncle SI posts.

You asked a question that makes no sense. They took him because they wanted him. They didn’t trade down to take other players because this was the guy they wanted. “Why didn’t they do all these other things?”

If you want to question that action than do it. Asking why they didn’t do something because they wanted to do something else is a nonsensical post.

Sorry.. classic Massari post.

OP
OP
M

massari

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1jbu5sdg said:
You asked a question that makes no sense. They took him because they wanted him. They didn’t trade down to take other players because this was the guy they wanted. “Why didn’t they do all these other things?”

If you want to question that action than do it. Asking why they didn’t do something because they wanted to do something else is a nonsensical post.

Sorry.. classic Massari post.
Jesus

OP
OP
M

massari

Reaction score
So many holes. DL, CB, OL. If they couldn't land a Kalen Ballage or John Kelly type in the middle rounds and a guy like Rawls/Carson later on, free agent CJ Anderson could have been the final option to go with a stud in the 2nd round like Hernandez, Corbett, Landry, Greene, Oliver, Jackson, Daniels, Goedert, C.Williams, Mo Hurst, J Sweat, ect ect ect.

Just don't know of any DL's, CB's or OL's from the middle rounds or left in free agency that can make an immediate impact like some of those RB's later on or like free agent CJ Anderson.

Chances are a great RB will be there at #52 while getting other goodies for the #27 pick if they're dead set on adding an early round RB.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
If Penny was their guy then I’m happy they went ahead and got him.

Tusc2000

Reaction score
Penny seems like a solid RB. But that won't mean anything without holes to run through. Alex Collins couldn't do much with us -- but incredibly became a near 1,000 yard rusher with Baltimore last season.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Tusc2000":3lq06jr7 said:
Penny seems like a solid RB. But that won't mean anything without holes to run through. Alex Collins couldn't do much with us -- but incredibly became a near 1,000 yard rusher with Baltimore last season. Until our O-line gets fixed, we're screwed.

Well I think that was the reason for the Cable firing. I guess the FO might be trying to see if Solari can make the difference vs blowing up the personnel.

Plus OL is such a crap shoot these days. If you aren’t sure any of them are any good, do you gamble your first round pick on one?