Post-First Round Press Conference

hawknation2018

Reaction score
https://www.seahawks.com/video/john-sch ... conference

Schneider and Carroll are excited about picking RB Rashaad Penny in the first round. They said they would have picked Penny at No. 18. Carroll acknowledged that Schneider's staff were "very active" in discussing a second trade down with other teams, but ultimately they decided against a second trade down. In addition, they said a team made the unusual move of offering to trade for Penny after he was drafted.

Schneider says Penny's pass protection needs to improve and that Penny recognizes it. Carroll says Penny will play as a returner, helping to take the load off Tyler Lockett, and will compete at RB with last year's 7th-rounder Chris Carson. He sees both Penny and Carson as "three-down backs." He also thinks C.J. Prosise is capable of playing all-three downs when healthy. No mention of the other backs, like recently-signed Mike Davis or J.D. McKissic.

Carroll speaking of Penny: "Probably the best part about this kid, this young man is humble. He's ready to work."

Schneider feels this is a really deep draft year with good running backs throughout every part of the draft. He thinks teams are waiting to draft these running backs because there are so many that can be had later in the draft.

massari

Reaction score
hawknation2018":3bzp4nbe said:
https://www.seahawks.com/video/john-schneider-pete-carroll-draft-day-1-press-conference

Schneider and Carroll are excited about picking RB Rashaad Penny in the first round. They said they would have picked Penny at No. 18. Carroll acknowledged that Schneider's staff were "very active" in discussing a second trade down with other teams, but ultimately they decided against a second trade down. In addition, they said a team made the unusual move of offering to trade for Penny after he was drafted.
I think they said last year their first seven picks they had graded as 2nd rounders or better (McDowell, Pocic, Hill, Shaq, Jones, Darboh,Tedric).

Also, are they allowed to trade a player who was just recently drafted? I thought teams had to wait at least one year after the draft to move a player.

hawknation2018":3bzp4nbe said:
Schneider feels this is a really good draft year with good running backs throughout every part of the draft. He thinks teams are waiting to draft these running backs because there are so many that can be had later in the draft.
Oh Schneids.

OP
OP
hawknation2018

hawknation2018

Reaction score
massari":5ovyl1ug said:
Also, are they allowed to trade a player who was just recently drafted? I thought teams had to wait at least one year after the draft to move a player.

They don't have to wait, but it's just not very common. The only instances I can think of were trades at the player's behest, i.e. Eli Manning or John Elway. Actually, the first-ever NFL draft pick, Jay Berwanger, was drafted by the Eagles but had his rights traded to the Bears. It's a lot more common in the NBA draft, for sure.

kidhawk

Reaction score
hawknation2018":17r4xg1h said:
If a drafted rookie has not signed with his club by this date [August 7], he cannot be traded to any other club in 2018, and may sign a player contract only with the drafting club until the day of the Draft in the 2019 League Year.

https://operations.nfl.com/football-ops ... nfl-dates/

I may be mistaken, but I don't believe that rule precludes trading them before that date. I believe the original intent was to help push both sides into a deal without there being a holdout. Of course with the new rookie salaries, there really is no incentive left not to sign your contract unless you don't want to play for the team that drafted you.

chris98251

Reaction score
Wasn't Eli basically picked by the Chargers and traded a moment later to the Giants that year?

Jac

Reaction score
If this is the guy they really wanted, then I'm glad they didn't overplay the trade-down game. I suspect they've burned themselves in the past. Like many/most, I was initially horrified...but the pick has really grown on me. Some of the comparisons are intriguing.

Jville

Reaction score
I think Carroll's expectation that Rashaad Penny will relieve Tyler Lockett of some of the return load is huge. Tyler got rag dolled too much last year (my words not Carroll's). Keeping Tyler fresh and healthier in 2018 should pay big dividends in the offensive output. Love the discipline of including and addressing special teams needs at every opportunity. Force multipliers make a big difference.