Seahawks GM: A team tried to trade for Rashaad Penny

ivotuk

Reaction score
Most media draft analysts ranked Rashaad Penny behind several other running backs still on the board when the Seattle Seahawks swiped the San Diego State product with the No. 27 overall pick.

In NFL front offices, however, Penny was a popular player.

According to Seahawks GM John Schneider, a team targeted Penny even after Seattle plucked him from the board.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... haad-penny

massari

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/MikeSilver/status/989702462599659521[/tweet]
Looks like the Browns might be the mystery team.

HawkGA

Reaction score
massari":271y86hu said:

That's a heck of an endorsement! The Browns? They screwed up their two first round picks. No reason to believe they wouldn't have screwed up their second round pick too.

IBleedBlueAndGreen

Reaction score
HawkGA":38nnbg3y said:
massari":38nnbg3y said:

That's a heck of an endorsement! The Browns? They screwed up their two first round picks. No reason to believe they wouldn't have screwed up their second round pick too.

Cynical much??? :roll:

endzorn

Reaction score
Every single year when Schneider trades back he’ll say two things...
1. They were going to take the same player at the original spot.
2. A GM called and said they were about to take that player.

Every year.

It’s like a defense mechanism when they reach. He and Pete fall in love with one guy every year and they don’t give a damn about value, they just want to take him.

lukerguy

Reaction score
endzorn":119cwl27 said:

Every year.

It’s like a defense mechanism when they reach. He and Pete fall in love with one guy every year and they don’t give a damn about value, they just want to take him.

This may be true... but this year a GM actually offered to trade something after the selection..that's noteworthy.

DJrmb

Reaction score
I'm hearing rumblings that the Patriots may have been the team calling trying to acquire Penny. I guess they were expecting to take him at 31 instead of Sony Michel (which makes sense as they're kind of similar backs but Penny doesn't have the bad knees). So Penny was clearly not lasting until the 3rd round like some knuckleheads around here believe.

San Diego State Head Couch also just said on the radio with John Clayton that he was expecting the Patriots to draft Penny at 31. He said they were the team that showed the most interest in him pre-draft.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/mattyfbrown/status/989926795309969409[/tweet]

getnasty

Reaction score
I've never heard of that and not sure I believe it but who knows

Natethegreat

Reaction score
The Patriots make the most sense to me. Penny is a very good receiving back and all around player. Would fit well in their system. I think Sony Michel was their plan B.

DJrmb

Reaction score
Natethegreat":lvb8hpn2 said:
The Patriots make the most sense to me. Penny is a very good receiving back and all around player. Would fit well in their system. I think Sony Michel was their plan B.
That's my thinking as well. Plus they have plenty of draft capital to try to swing it without hurting themselves.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
endzorn":20udnk9a said:

Every year.

I kinda felt this way too.

Both John and Pete give us the "we've liked this guy for a long time, we were willing to trade up to get him blah blah blah" song and dance after each pick.

Which is fine, the team is suppose to pimp their pick and make him feel good starting out his career here.

But do I put much stock in these rumors or reports floated after the fact? Nope.

toffee

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2nf6s7yx said:
endzorn":2nf6s7yx said:

Every year.

Both John and Pete give us the "we've liked this guy for a long time, we were willing to trade up to get him blah blah blah" song and dance after each pick.

Which is fine, the team is suppose to pimp their pick and make him feel good starting out his career here.

But do I put much stock in these rumors or reports floated after the fact? Nope.
so John was lying with his eyes wide open?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Rumors are often just that, meh. And what are they supposed to say? They liked the guy, doesn't matter what the "experts" or fans think about it.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
toffee":3ue4uts5 said:
Sgt. Largent":3ue4uts5 said:
endzorn":3ue4uts5 said:

Every year.

Does he usually lie with his eyes closed? I'm confused.

Lying? No. Maybe embellishing a little to pump up his pick and make everyone feel good about Penny? Absolutely.

Jac

Reaction score
The pick has absolutely grown on me, and I see the potential with our new OL coach. But I felt the same way. Every year, JS has a story about a GM calling him that claimed they were scooped. The difference this year is that this was one of the only picks that was really panned, so my inclination was that he was defensive in a draft year that's critical to starting over. Like many, I just wish JS would start holding onto his draft capital instead of trading for vets, and not continually play the trade down game for quantity. Sometimes i think he outsmarts himself.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
getnasty":2hs1tpt5 said:
I've never heard of that and not sure I believe it but who knows

Why wouldn't you believe it?

It's not as Schneider needs to be dishonest about this. I've heard that both Cleveland (McCloughan) and NE were interested in the player.

DJrmb

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3ewzv6eq said:
toffee":3ewzv6eq said:
Sgt. Largent":3ewzv6eq said:
endzorn":3ewzv6eq said:

Every year.

Lying? No. Maybe embellishing a little to pump up his pick and make everyone feel good about Penny? Absolutely.
I don't understand how he could be "not lying" but embellishing in this case? He said a team called and offered to trade for Penny after they drafted him. That either happened or it didn't. Wouldn't embellishing be more like saying that a team called and offered to trade a 2nd round pick when they actually only offered a 4th...?

massari

Reaction score
Jac":3mtqnhfs said:
Like many, I just wish JS would start holding onto his draft capital instead of trading for vets, and not continually play the trade down game for quantity. Sometimes i think he outsmarts himself.
Trading for Brown and Richardson seemed like good ideas at the time, they just had shit luck with all the injuries and Blair Walsh.

Seymour

Reaction score
DJrmb":3nwu11g4 said:
Sgt. Largent":3nwu11g4 said:
toffee":3nwu11g4 said:
Sgt. Largent":3nwu11g4 said:

I don't understand how he could be "not lying" but embellishing in this case? He said a team called and offered to trade for Penny after they drafted him. That either happened or it didn't. Wouldn't embellishing be more like saying that a team called and offered to trade a 2nd round pick when they actually only offered a 4th...?

Doesn't matter to me one way or the other, but you have it correct. Embellishing does NOT include completely making the entire event up.