4 RB's on final roster?

Crizilla

Reaction score
Do you think they keep Prosise, Davis, Carson, and Penny on the final roster? I can see them going Prosise as a decoy RB but pass to him, have Davis be back up if anyone gets hurt, have Penny be every down kind of guy, and Carson for short yard situations FB type of guy. I think with Penny it takes a little pressure off Carson especially coming off injury. Less playing time for Carson might actually be a good thing.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
I think they give Procise one more year and I think that leaves Davis out. I'm OK with that. He seems like just a guy.

kidhawk

Reaction score
We may not have all of them healthy by the end of training camp so it may not matter

MrThortan

Reaction score
J. D. McKissic showed potential last year. Prosise was a third round pick a couple years ago. They seem to have similar skill sets, but there will probably only be room for one. Tough decision, but I think I would choose the one that has been available. I don't think they have given up on Prosise yet though.

Rawls and Davis seem to be competing for the same spot, and I just don't think Rawls has it between the ears. Between the two I would pick Davis.

4 RBs wouldn't surprise me. I think Pete has made some comments about using a FB in pressers and I don't know how that effects roster spots.

Fade

Reaction score
Penny
Carson
McKissic
Davis

Prosise will be released/traded, or if he is lucky moved out to WR, but most likely will not be on the roster come week 1.

Carson will start at the beginning of games I think, but by the end of most games Penny will have had more touches. A very nice combo. You need 2 backs in today's league.

McKissic is a matchup nightmare on 3rd down, and is super cheap so he will stay.

Davis is injury insurance for Penny & Carson.

peppersjap

Reaction score
I would try moving Procise back to WR and if he doesn't make it there I would let him go. I was not a McKissik fan at the beginning of the year but the guy had a great year and seems durable unlike Procise. I do like Procise though just wish he could stay healthy and be on the field.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
I think they take another RB in the draft also. This year is all about competition.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
I'd say they will absolutely want to keep 4 RB and a full back. They just spent a first round pick on a RB, so they're showing how important the the position is to this offense. Availability was a big issue last year, so it just adds to that. They can't risk not having a guy ready to go if there's an injury.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
Recon_Hawk":bt21y86g said:
I'd say they will absolutely want to keep 4 RB and a full back. They just spent a first round pick on a RB, so they're showing how important the the position is to this offense. Availability was a big issue last year, so it just adds to that. They can't risk not having a guy ready to go if there's an injury.
For most of the PC years they've kept 5 players in the RB/FB group. This is Procise's final year to get it together and stay healthy or he's gone.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

Jac

Reaction score
I think Procise has to get through this training camp uninjured. If he gets dinged up again, that'd be the final straw in ever thinking anything would change.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Still are looking for the guy who can replace Lynch’s production. Nobody could actually replace Lynch the player.

If the team had canned Bevell and Cable after XLIX it wouldn’t surprise me if Lynch was still here, and the palace revolt would have had less reason to happen. All of the players who left were into themselves rather than their team but the team was sending them a double standard message.

Roster battles at RB will be interesting indeed this season. Penny and Carson, if he recovers, are potential hlocks. Prosise is on the bubble along with McIssic, Davis, and any late additions. All of Prosise’s talent is meaningless if he can’t stay healthy, he could be moved out if he can’t, as patience has run out. Penny could do what both of Prosise and McIssic do, leaving Davis as a workhorse type back if either of Carson or Penny are hurt. McIssic certainly played reasonably well in his limited as did Davis last season making the choice between them tough.

crosfam

Reaction score
I could see Procise or McK classified as a receiver, and essentially being RB #5. I think Khalid Hill beats out Madden for the FB job and starts. Procise is as much a RB as Harvin was, always catching the ball laterally or just few yards north of the line of scrimmage, looking to run.

And no way we make it out of preseason without one or more of these guys on IR. They all might "make the team" with that factored in.

I see K Hill blocking for Penny this year often in the new offense. Makes me think back hopefully to John L Williams and Curt Warner. Of course, they were both first rounder's, and Curt was way up there at #3.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
I would expect them to keep three or four RBs and one fullback.

In 2017, they kept four backs on the cut down. Eddie Lacy, Thomas Rawls, and C.J. Prosise were the golden geese, who made the roster despite not getting much run during training camp or preseason. The 4th was Chris Carson.

In 2016, they kept five to start the year, including one fullback (Brandon Cottom).

Rashaad Penny, Chris Carson, and C.J. Prosise are the golden geese this year. That leaves Mike Davis and J.D. McKissic on the outside.

The fullback competition could be really tight between veteran Jalston Fowler, last year's FB Tre Madden, and rookie undrafted free agent Khalid Hill.

original poster

Reaction score
I think this could be a year where they carry 5RB + 1FB.

If they do decide to carry 4 RB's, Prosise and Davis are fighting for the last roster spot IMO. Both have nearly the exact same dead money attached to their contract so it really will come down to available talent and no other factors.