Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Pick #141 Shaquem Griffin

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Re: Pick #141 Shaquem Griffen
Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:37 pm
  • He also played SS in college so that transition will not be foreign to him, this is a toy that Pete has not had before in his toy box, plus he can pass rush, SS that can put his hand on the ground and edge rush as well. How often do you see that.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Re: Pick #141 Shaquem Griffin
Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:07 pm
  • One thing for sure, he and his bro will not read books when Pete address the team. They won’t , I guarantee it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    toffee
    NET Starter

Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:07 pm

In 180 games, Walter Jones was called for 9 holding penalties in the course of 5,703 pass plays.
    First Round Inductee To Hall Of Fame 2014
    ESPN #1 Rated Seahawks Player of All Time
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

Re: Griffin
Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:11 pm
  • pittpnthrs wrote:Great story, horrible pick. A luxury, niche player. The FO lost me with the last 2 picks. Somebody please get Scot McCloughan on the phone immediately.

Life of the party! :irishdrinkers:

"We all we got, we all we need"
    lukerguy
    NET Veteran

Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:12 pm
  • Can't wait to watch the Brothers of Boom!!!
    FinNasty
    NET Practice Squad

Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:41 pm
  • lukerguy wrote:
    pittpnthrs wrote:Great story, horrible pick. A luxury, niche player. The FO lost me with the last 2 picks. Somebody please get Scot McCloughan on the phone immediately.

Ya idk how thats a horrible pick. The dudes film and measurables are off the charts. Oh he has one hand big deal....he can ball out

"Jed York does not own the 49ers; Russell Wilson does"
    WilsonMVP
    NET Veteran

Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:42 pm
  • FinNasty wrote:Can't wait to watch the Brothers of Boom!!!

I like this better than "Legion of Griffens" that Shaquille proposed.
    OkieHawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:53 pm
  • If anyone has reservations.... it's a 5th round pick, not a 2nd or 1st rounder. I think he's going to blow away most of our expectations as well and can only be good for the locker room.
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran

Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:03 pm
  • pittpnthrs wrote:Great story, horrible pick. A luxury, niche player. The FO lost me with the last 2 picks. Somebody please get Scot McCloughan on the phone immediately.

Fade
    NET Veteran

Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:10 pm
  • I like how Pete told him twice on the phone to stay humble. Sending a message early to not take this opportunity for granted. 8)
    In 180 games, Walter Jones was called for 9 holding penalties in the course of 5,703 pass plays.
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:00 pm
  • I have said it in two threads and may as well here also, he has a chip that makes Shermans when he came into the league look like a flake of sawdust. When he said " Prepare for Greatness " there was no smile or smugness, it wasn't boistress but he looked straight ahead in deadly seriousness. I believe him. This is going to be epic and I really think Kam isn't coming back and he may end up being our SS, he has played it before and in our system could excel, knows how to cover and has great recovery speed as well.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:24 pm
  • Shaquem is a real football player. Nuff said.
    In the old days the other O-linemen would have just taken Ifedi out back and beat the crap out of him.
    DomeHawk
    NET Starter

Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:11 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:I have said it in two threads and may as well here also, he has a chip that makes Shermans when he came into the league look like a flake of sawdust. When he said " Prepare for Greatness " there was no smile or smugness, it wasn't boistress but he looked straight ahead in deadly seriousness. I believe him. This is going to be epic and I really think Kam isn't coming back and he may end up being our SS, he has played it before and in our system could excel, knows how to cover and has great recovery speed as well.

This is totally what I see. We use our SS to play in the box and blitz. We did it with McDougald successfully and Shaquem has more speed, a better motor and some severe intensity. I also like McDougald so I am really pumped for this kid. See him doing some nasty stuff in preseason and working his way up like RW did. At the very least a great SP player.

He is also a better football player than his brother, who I also really like and I can honestly see these two making each other better NFL players. This is going to be a special thing on our team. I know losing LOB is sad but something else is growing here.
    seahawkfreak
    NET Veteran

Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:20 pm
  • Why has he never had a prosthetic hand placed? It seems that the tech is there. With the money earned from playing pro football, maybe a way can made to be able to play with one. I imagine he watches the advancement in that field rather intensely.
    jeremiah
    NET Practice Squad

Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:25 pm
  • This sums up my feelings on the Kid.

:{)
    ITS A GREAT TIME TO BE A SEAHAWK FAN !
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:39 pm
  • jeremiah wrote:Why has he never had a prosthetic hand placed? It seems that the tech is there. With the money earned from playing pro football, maybe a way can made to be able to play with one. I imagine he watches the advancement in that field rather intensely.

What kind of prosthetic hand are you looking for? Anything less than a Star Wars prosthetic would just be a club and totally useless. Maybe the NFL will allow one of these.

seahawkfreak
    NET Veteran

Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:20 pm
  • Omahawk wrote:I had almost the exact same experience. My 4 year-old daughter and I watched it today after we got home from golfing together and I talked to her about Shaquem so much apparently while we were out crushing golf balls into the water hazards that she asked me if we drafted him yet. After a few minutes of checking I told her no but nobody else had either. Her face lit up and her eyes got huge. Then the same thing happened to us as what you described - we drafted a TE and I had to explain to her that we cannot control it and we probably won't end up getting him but it's okay. Then we both watched pick by pick go by on the edges of our seats. When pick 141 came up we looked at each other and didn't even say a word. We both knew. And then it happened. I promise you the neighbors heard us scream at the tippy-tops of our lungs. I love this girl. She gets it. Future Seahawks kicker and/or lifetime fan. Welcome aboard, Shaquem. You're my new favorite player.

That is so great Omahawk! Wow, really does sound like we shared mutual experiences today. What a treat to share it with our daughters who are turning into true blue 12's before our eyes! I never expected this experience today. What a blessing.

"Shaquem Griffin tells ESPN after he got drafted by Seattle; 'I can't breathe.' That's the only time you'll hear him say he can't do something." - Dan Wetzel via Twitter.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:21 pm
  • lukerguy wrote:
    pittpnthrs wrote:Great story, horrible pick. A luxury, niche player. The FO lost me with the last 2 picks. Somebody please get Scot McCloughan on the phone immediately.

Meh. Typical Debbie Downer. Whatevs. :34853_doh:

"Shaquem Griffin tells ESPN after he got drafted by Seattle; 'I can't breathe.' That's the only time you'll hear him say he can't do something." - Dan Wetzel via Twitter.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:53 pm
  • This pick does more than meets the eye. From a competition standpoint, who is going to let the one handed guy beat them? Trust me all respect with that last comment. Also from a morale standpoint, this guy brings tons of inspiration. In addition, he can play!! In addition, his bro is a beast and the two together are going to be amazing. Best decision Hawks could have made.
    hangumhi
    NET Rookie

Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:40 pm
  • Aros wrote:
    Omahawk wrote:I had almost the exact same experience. My 4 year-old daughter and I watched it today after we got home from golfing together and I talked to her about Shaquem so much apparently while we were out crushing golf balls into the water hazards that she asked me if we drafted him yet. After a few minutes of checking I told her no but nobody else had either. Her face lit up and her eyes got huge. Then the same thing happened to us as what you described - we drafted a TE and I had to explain to her that we cannot control it and we probably won't end up getting him but it's okay. Then we both watched pick by pick go by on the edges of our seats. When pick 141 came up we looked at each other and didn't even say a word. We both knew. And then it happened. I promise you the neighbors heard us scream at the tippy-tops of our lungs. I love this girl. She gets it. Future Seahawks kicker and/or lifetime fan. Welcome aboard, Shaquem. You're my new favorite player.

That is so great Omahawk! Wow, really does sound like we shared mutual experiences today. What a treat to share it with our daughters who are turning into true blue 12's before our eyes! I never expected this experience today. What a blessing.

Had my brother text me saying (who is a Dolphins fan) "holly shit, Shaquem is a Seahawk, awesome. We wanted him but this is cool" Yeah I think so too.
    seahawkfreak
    NET Veteran

Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:04 am

• massari
    NET Veteran

Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:22 am

• Skip and Shannon thought he would go much higher.

this is going to be talked about all year. Every game. I hope he brings it.
    Michael Dickson, P, Texas: 2018 Adopt a Probowl Rookie
    Atradees
    NET Veteran

Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:02 am
  • The closest player I can think of to Quem's size, speed and position is Malcolm Smith. Smith is 6-0, 226, ran a 4.5 forty and played Will in sub packages.

And, we all know how he fit into PC's system.

I think he's a better player then Smith too.
    truehawksfan
    NET Veteran

Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:49 am
  • Gotta admit, I'm usually not this excited about a fifth round pick but here I am.
    Hockey Guy
    NET Bench Warmer

Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:31 am
  • truehawksfan wrote:The closest player I can think of to Quem's size, speed and position is Malcolm Smith. Smith is 6-0, 226, ran a 4.5 forty and played Will in sub packages.

And, we all know how he fit into PC's system.

I think he's a better player then Smith too.

Griffin is way smarter than Smith. Just went back and watched the Prach Bowl highlights. Griffin knew where to be almost every play. And his burst is off the chart. Reminds me of Earl that way.

I think this kid is the defensive Russell Wilson. A solitary deficiency in a physical attribute but 10/10 in every other aspect of being a football player.

I’m pretty stoked TBH. Kid single handedly wrecked Auburn’s offense. They had no answer for him. At the NFL level he will be the ultimate Spy player to deal with mobile QBs and he will destroy read option plays. Awareness and burst too good for that stuff.

And I think playing with his brother will good for both kids as they’ll push each other to be better. Great pick.

Of course, I wonder if this was the plan all along dating back to last years draft. Is Schneider that wily.
    Mad Dog
    NET Rookie

Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:05 am
  • Can we do something about their hair? Maybe Russ can work on it ...
    joeseahawks
    *The Prophet*

Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:21 am
  • lobohawk wrote:I’ll plead ignorance on what’s the best way to use Shaquem, but wondered if there might be a better role than LB. With his size and speed, could he play Safety? I might be missing something beyond his raw stats.

He’s not as big as Kam, but few safeties are. At the same time he’s used to being in the box against the run. He’s also much faster than Kam.

I know McDougal is filling the role, as we await final word on Kam. Even so, McDougal can play Earl’s spot down the road.

I'm hoping they play him at WLB. Sorry but switching him to Safety gives me Michael Boulware flash backs. :141847_bnono:
    Largent.4.Prez
    NET Bench Warmer

Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:37 pm
  • joeseahawks wrote:Can we do something about their hair? Maybe Russ can work on it ...

Why? It's their hair and can do whatever they wish with it. I'm not sure how their hairstyle would ever affect you in any way.
    OkieHawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:44 pm
  • Shaquill looks like he's gained the freshman 15. :lol:
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:30 pm
  • I am betting that Shaquem has already been in Shaquills playbook and will know this defense almost as well as him first OTA's.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:32 pm
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:39 pm

KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:58 pm
  • seahawkfreak wrote:
    jeremiah wrote:Why has he never had a prosthetic hand placed? It seems that the tech is there. With the money earned from playing pro football, maybe a way can made to be able to play with one. I imagine he watches the advancement in that field rather intensely.

What kind of prosthetic hand are you looking for? Anything less than a Star Wars prosthetic would just be a club and totally useless. Maybe the NFL will allow one of these.

What does he need it for?He has been playing great without a hand so far.
    I can just imagine him swatting balls,tipping them,and best of all punching them out
    for fumbles with that stump.
    Will Dissly
    2018 Adopt a rookie
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:31 pm
  • He would not be able to use a high tech hand anyway, the ones they have require some surgical implants and then sensors to pick up impulses from the brain. Not sure in a occupation that requires pushing ripping collisions etc that you want a device line that to be damaged, not to mention the time off for surgery and training to use it. Although maybe if we send him to Wakanda he could be ready for the Season. :)

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:58 pm
  • If you guys really want to learn about Shaquem... this is the video for you:

(spoiler: the fake spin pass rush at the 10:29 mark is ridiculous)

FinNasty
    NET Practice Squad

Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:16 pm

Does that mean .NET gets to lose you, too?
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:23 pm
  • OkieHawk wrote:
    joeseahawks wrote:Can we do something about their hair? Maybe Russ can work on it ...

Why? It's their hair and can do whatever they wish with it. I'm not sure how their hairstyle would ever affect you in any way.

Actually, that much hair can weigh several pounds, and if you don't think that doesn't affect how quickly you can snap your head back for a quick glance and then back to looking forward, go duct tape a 2.5-lb length of chain to the back of your head and give it a try, then get back to me.

Once you're sweating from putting forth a lot of effort, the weight can more than double, too. So, I would say it's actually not in any player's best interest to have long hair from a field performance perspective. Also, your hair counts as your body for being out of bounds and you can be tackled by it.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:17 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    OkieHawk wrote:
    joeseahawks wrote:Can we do something about their hair? Maybe Russ can work on it ...

Actually, that much hair can weigh several pounds, and if you don't think that doesn't affect how quickly you can snap your head back for a quick glance and then back to looking forward, go duct tape a 2.5-lb length of chain to the back of your head and give it a try, then get back to me.

Once you're sweating from putting forth a lot of effort, the weight can more than double, too. So, I would say it's actually not in any player's best interest to have long hair from a field performance perspective. Also, your hair counts as your body for being out of bounds and you can be tackled by it.

But they should know this and keep the hair anyway. Again, it doesn't really affect you directly, does it?
    OkieHawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:31 am
  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    OkieHawk wrote:

Plus, aerodynamics. When he turns his head with all that hair (with added sweat) the hair will very likely shoot round over his shoulder, thus creating more of a barrier and slowing him down.

:P

:sarcasm_off:
    www.hawk-talk.com

Richard Sherman wrote:People look forward to writing us off. Our demise was greatly overstated.
    original poster
    * NET Moderator *

Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:05 am
  • He'd probably make a good strong safety. The only real problem I see would be certain interceptions, but if I had a dollar for every time Earl dropped an INT I'd be a rich man.
    KiwiHawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:17 am
  • KiwiHawk wrote:He'd probably make a good strong safety. The only real problem I see would be certain interceptions, but if I had a dollar for every time Earl dropped an INT I'd be a rich man.

You'd literally have about $10 lol.
    www.hawk-talk.com

Richard Sherman wrote:People look forward to writing us off. Our demise was greatly overstated.
    original poster
    * NET Moderator *

Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:55 am
  • joeseahawks wrote:Can we do something about their hair? Maybe Russ can work on it ...

How well did that work out for Sampson? Hmm. Dude. Leave the hair alone.
    Hawkscanner
    * NET Sage *

Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:41 am
  • KiwiHawk wrote:He'd probably make a good strong safety. The only real problem I see would be certain interceptions, but if I had a dollar for every time Earl dropped an INT I'd be a rich man.

He probably would be a good strong safety. And if you just want "good"... play him at SS. I wouldn't recommend that though. Why play him at a position where his physical talents are somewhat normalized?

Instead, play him at a position where his talents and ability are freakish. Play him near the LOS where he is always around the ball. Play him at WLB...
    FinNasty
    NET Practice Squad

Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:47 am
  • To go further... I'll be angry if you guys make him a Safety, lol. Would be taking a player that has potential to be great and completely handicapping him and would make him "just a guy"...
    FinNasty
    NET Practice Squad

Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:54 am
  • Outstanding pick. Very versatile player. This wasn't just some PR thing, this guy is a hell of a football player.
    On another note, is someone really complaining about their hair? What does hair have to do with how a guy plays football? :?
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:19 am
  • FinNasty wrote:To go further... I'll be angry if you guys make him a Safety, lol. Would be taking a player that has potential to be great and completely handicapping him and would make him "just a guy"...

This may be a new idea for you, but the Hawks typically play Kam as SS close to the line on running downs making him almost another LBer. Kam's strength, nose for the ball, and ability to shed (destroy?) 0-linemen makes him invaluable in run-support. Kam also drops into coverage on passing downs, but Shaquem is faster than Kam so has upside there. Quem provides even the added benefit of a safety blitz...

I'm not saying he should be a SS, but there's more possibility there than meets the eye when we consider the way the Hawks play Kam.
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:34 am

If we can get him sober.
    Vesuve
    NET Rookie

Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:36 am
  • We get it Pitt, you hate Pete and John. You sound like a bitter old lady. :roll:
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:49 am
  • Ad Hawk wrote:
    FinNasty wrote:To go further... I'll be angry if you guys make him a Safety, lol. Would be taking a player that has potential to be great and completely handicapping him and would make him "just a guy"...

This may be a new idea for you, but the Hawks typically play Kam as SS close to the line on running downs making him almost another LBer. Kam's strength, nose for the ball, and ability to shed (destroy?) 0-linemen makes him invaluable in run-support. Kam also drops into coverage on passing downs, but Shaquem is faster than Kam so has upside there. Quem provides even the added benefit of a safety blitz...

I'm not saying he should be a SS, but there's more possibility there than meets the eye when we consider the way the Hawks play Kam.

What % of snaps did Kam play as essentially a LB? Sure, if you're basically playing him in more of a hybrid role, or Whip Safety, then that's fine and is a role Shaquem is made for. If you guys ever play split safety coverages, etc... that would be a waste.
    FinNasty
    NET Practice Squad

Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:06 am
  • FinNasty wrote:
    Ad Hawk wrote:
    FinNasty wrote:To go further... I'll be angry if you guys make him a Safety, lol. Would be taking a player that has potential to be great and completely handicapping him and would make him "just a guy"...

What % of snaps did Kam play as essentially a LB? Sure, if you're basically playing him in more of a hybrid role, or Whip Safety, then that's fine and is a role Shaquem is made for. If you guys ever play split safety coverages, etc... that would be a waste.

It's pretty rare that Kam drops into deep coverage.

One of the main advantages of having the best free safety in the league is he can manage the back third all on his own.

Kam was very much a box safety, he was a bit of a liability in coverage at times in honesty.

Either way, I still don't see Shaquem playing any SS.

He will be rushing the passer, spying on the QB and making plays on running backs.
    www.hawk-talk.com

original poster
    * NET Moderator *

PreviousNext

It is currently Wed May 23, 2018 6:44 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information