Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

No. 168, the #Seahawks have selected Jamarco Jones

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
    In 180 games, Walter Jones was called for 9 holding penalties in the course of 5,703 pass plays.
    First Round Inductee To Hall Of Fame 2014
    ESPN #1 Rated Seahawks Player of All Time
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

PICK # 168 JAMARCO JONES OHIO ST
Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:16 am
  • BIG TACKLE rip ifedi
    “Well, they’re going to have to stop all of us. You feel me. I’m a piece to it, but we’ve got some dogs.”
    Str8OuttaSkittles
    NET Starter

• big brawler rip ifedi
    “Well, they’re going to have to stop all of us. You feel me. I’m a piece to it, but we’ve got some dogs.”
    Str8OuttaSkittles
    NET Starter

• WOOOOO!!!! We drafted a Buckeye!!!!!!
    Rat
    * NET Cynic *

• One of the worst testers out there. Like, really really really bad.

But then you watch him, and he gets it done. Maybe RG?
    Coug_Hawk08
    NET Veteran

• Now we need a Hawkeye!
    I am a long time fan and a short time lurker.
    flippyflea
    NET Bench Warmer

• Coug_Hawk08 wrote:One of the worst testers out there. Like, really really really bad.

But then you watch him, and he gets it done. Maybe RG?

We drafted a lot of testers with Cable... just saying.
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *

• From NFL site: "I thought his tape was average myself. You like him more than I do. His Combine was awful. He athletic testing was reject level. It's hard to trust a tackle to start if he has reject level testing." -- NFC Executive

Sounds like the kind of athlete we've grown accustomed to on the OL. :P
    Own The West
    NET Rookie

• PFF loves him.
    Recon_Hawk
    NET Veteran

• Anti-Cable pick. Reject-level testing and plays well enough to be all-conference. Maybe we need more guys like this.
    Grahamhawker
    NET Veteran

In 180 games, Walter Jones was called for 9 holding penalties in the course of 5,703 pass plays.
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

• Grahamhawker wrote:Anti-Cable pick. Reject-level testing and plays well enough to be all-conference. Maybe we need more guys like this.

That is what I was thinking. An anti Cable selection
    Michael Dickson, P, Texas: 2018 Adopt a Probowl Rookie
    Atradees
    NET Veteran

• Own The West wrote:From NFL site: "I thought his tape was average myself. You like him more than I do. His Combine was awful. He athletic testing was reject level. It's hard to trust a tackle to start if he has reject level testing." -- NFC Executive

And yet, he did well as the starting LT at one of the premier college programs in the country. :229031_shrug:

Jamarco Jones blocked some of the best pass rushers in college football the past two years and handled his business game after game as Ohio State's left tackle.

Jones is an interesting test case of film vs. testing numbers. Teams will have to figure out how he managed to look so good on the field without having great athletic traits according to the workouts.

In the end, that debate should land Jones somewhere in the second or third round as the fourth straight Ohio State left tackle to be drafted.

http://www.cleveland.com/osu/2018/04/ja ... 018_w.html
    Chapow
    NET Veteran

• Chapow wrote:
    Own The West wrote:From NFL site: "I thought his tape was average myself. You like him more than I do. His Combine was awful. He athletic testing was reject level. It's hard to trust a tackle to start if he has reject level testing." -- NFC Executive

And yet, he did well as the starting LT at one of the premier college programs in the country. :229031_shrug:

Jamarco Jones blocked some of the best pass rushers in college football the past two years and handled his business game after game as Ohio State's left tackle.

Jones is an interesting test case of film vs. testing numbers. Teams will have to figure out how he managed to look so good on the field without having great athletic traits according to the workouts.

In the end, that debate should land Jones somewhere in the second or third round as the fourth straight Ohio State left tackle to be drafted.

Ya ill take a guy who has shown he can do it at a big program and has tape over stupid combine numbers or athletic testing in shorts, or a guy who didnt even play on the OL and is a convert

"Jed York does not own the 49ers; Russell Wilson does"
    WilsonMVP
    NET Veteran

• Sure has a great sounding name...Hope his last name is worthy of a jersey like the other Jones that happened to find his way to Canton.

"Shaquem Griffin tells ESPN after he got drafted by Seattle; 'I can't breathe.' That's the only time you'll hear him say he can't do something." - Dan Wetzel via Twitter.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

• I agree as well it is an anti cable pick.

They are done taking raw projects. Even if this guy doesn't workout this philosophical change is noteworthy,
    Fade
    NET Veteran

• He's a Jones... at LT no less.
    Get him an Escalade and tell him where you want it pushed to.
    Rinse and repeat.
    I like this pick.
    Journalism is dead, it's been replaced by creative writing aka fake news.
    Critical thinking is pretty much dead too. I miss the hearsay rule.
    The concept of "ethic" has been stripped from the Journalism curriculum.
    Rocket
    * .NET Attention Whore *

• PFF #32 ranked prospect, #3 OT
    Seahawkwalt1967
    NET Rookie

• The fact he started at a major college and we got him this late has me very excited. I am pretty sure I found my adopt a rookie this year. I am hopeful he breaks into the starting line up at rt and moves over once Brown is done.

Overall this draft has exceeded my expectations and I feel like it is the hawks best in a long time, I haven't said anything up to this point because the negativity has been so overwhelming. :|
    Rflagg
    NET Veteran

• Chapow wrote:
    Own The West wrote:From NFL site: "I thought his tape was average myself. You like him more than I do. His Combine was awful. He athletic testing was reject level. It's hard to trust a tackle to start if he has reject level testing." -- NFC Executive

Exactly what I was thinking. Measurables are interesting and should be a factor. But ultimately, it's about your play on the field. If you're successful at against elite talent, the same level of talent you'll face at the next level, then you need to throw those measurables out the door.
    We Fired Tom Cable!
    xgeoff
    NET Veteran

• This pick also says that the team feels the left side of the line is pretty much set. Brown-Po-Sich-Britt. Leading to a Fluker-GI-Jones battle for RG RT
    sdog1981
    NET Veteran

• If he brings it on the field and loves playing football then the numbers at combine can be taken as he doesn't like to be in display as a lab rat maybe. The league is full of O lineman that were bad grades but heart can't be measured at the combine and desire. We didn't sell the farm or waste a pick with this kid like Moffitt. at least he will be a rotational guy and back up. Best when Brown contract is due he has learned enough to step in and play a long time for us.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

• So a project that could play RT possibly LT that seems about right for pick 168 your certainly not going to get a polished technician with great physical and athletic ability. Potential starting RT if all goes well in a year or two is my guess if not then a competent back up guard tackle.
    Northwest Seahawk
    NET Veteran

• Fade wrote:I agree as well it is an anti cable pick.

They are done taking raw projects. Even if this guy doesn't workout this philosophical change is noteworthy,

I agree there's more to football than combine drills that's been proven over and over. He checks the box physically and that's always the first box I want checked.
    Northwest Seahawk
    NET Veteran

• how could he be worse than Rees Odhiambo?
    HawkNuts
    NET Veteran

• In a draft that was very weak at OT and OG it was wise of the Hawks not to waste their best capital on one of those. With Brown, Fant, Rees, Ifedi and Battle returning with Pocic also a possible fit at OT it didn't make a lot of sense to spend early. Jones may have been nursing an injury at the combine or he may just be PS material.
    Thomas Paine: To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead
    Seafan
    NET Veteran

• HawkNuts wrote:how could he be worse than Rees Odhiambo?

He plays a lot like Odhiambo actually, though maybe a little tougher.
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

• Is the vertical a good measure of power or leg strength or something? If not, I could care less about how high a potential o-lineman can jump when thinking of what he needs to do in a game.
    HawkRiderFan
    NET Veteran

• HawkRiderFan wrote:Is the vertical a good measure of power or leg strength or something? If not, I could care less about how high a potential o-lineman can jump when thinking of what he needs to do in a game.

Broad jump is a better measure.

Jones has a much better broad jump than Odhiambo. On tape, he also looks a little more explosive.
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

• They comment on Jamarco Jones in the day 3 presser.

He will compete initially at LT.

After the combine, Jones worked out with a group that the Hawks know, and in talking to them they felt good that Jones has better athleticism than he showed in Indy. They feel everybody can have off days.
    AgentDib
    NET Veteran

• AgentDib wrote:They comment on Jamarco Jones in the day 3 presser.

He will compete initially at LT.

After the combine, Jones worked out with a group that the Hawks know, and in talking to them they felt good that Jones has better athleticism than he showed in Indy. They feel everybody can have off days.

He's definitely slow looking on tape. Hence, the Odhiambo comparison.
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

• he looks great on this tape here. reminds me of breno in his play style.
    mrblitz
    NET Veteran

• It would be a huge improvement to have an offensive lineman that can actually slow down a pass rusher no matter what he looks like doing it.
    brimsalabim
    NET Veteran

• This guy could be really good. He can hold his ground/balance pretty well.
    joeseahawks
    *The Prophet*

• When games are won and lost by combine numbers and test metrics, I'll care about his combine and testing. As long as games are still played on the field, give me a guy who can play on the field.

The Seahawks aren't outthinking themselves. This is a good pick.
    WindCityHawk
    NET Veteran

• I'd really like to see him win the job at RT . I'm not at all sold on Pocic and Ifedi should be playing guard.
    Northwest Seahawk
    NET Veteran

• chris98251 wrote:If he brings it on the field and loves playing football then the numbers at combine can be taken as he doesn't like to be in display as a lab rat maybe. The league is full of O lineman that were bad grades but heart can't be measured at the combine and desire. We didn't sell the farm or waste a pick with this kid like Moffitt. at least he will be a rotational guy and back up. Best when Brown contract is due he has learned enough to step in and play a long time for us.

After watching Jamarco Jones tape, that's what I'm thinking/hoping. The Lab Rat syndrome, and/or just tests bad because his heart isn't in it, without an actual opponent he is battling. Put an opponent in front of him, a mano-a-mano battle, and suddenly he is fast enough, quick enough, strong enough, and with an innate gift for anticipating opponents actions and understanding of leverage. Crossing my fingers on this one...

Or maybe even some injury he for some reason chose not to disclose.
    2018 Adopt-A-Rookie: Rashaad Penny
    2018 BounceBack Bet: C.J. Prosise
    olyfan63
    NET Veteran

• Seafan wrote:In a draft that was very weak at OT and OG it was wise of the Hawks not to waste their best capital on one of those. With Brown, Fant, Rees, Ifedi and Battle returning with Pocic also a possible fit at OT it didn't make a lot of sense to spend early. Jones may have been nursing an injury at the combine or he may just be PS material.

It was pretty a pretty great draft for OG though, no?

Anyhow, wasn't Pocic the first pick under PCJS where they didn't go for an insanely SPARQy/explosively athletic guy? That didn't work out so well the first year, but I think we're all confident/hopeful Pocic will improve a lot after putting on some muscle like John said he has.

If Jones can be a good depth guy to start off with, it's a win. Not sure what the deal was with his combine, but as others have mentioned, if he can just get it done on the field, it doesn't really matter. Maybe the concern is that he was able to handle rushers in college with his technique but the pros will throw a whole new level of elite athlete at him to block?
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran

• I can just as easily see him as a day 1 starter on the offensive line as I can not even making it onto the 53 man roster.

For the reason, he's my adopted rookie.
    www.hawk-talk.com

Richard Sherman wrote:People look forward to writing us off. Our demise was greatly overstated.
    original poster
    * NET Moderator *

• Was stoked to see this pick. Not only because he looks like a good player, but so that my friends could stop the 734 messages whining that they "didn't take an O Lineman!" :lol:
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

• I could see him entering the competition at LG.
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

• does anyone know the last time we drafted a straight up guard?

seems like all we draft are tackles and try to convert them to guard/center.
    HawkNuts
    NET Veteran

• HawkNuts wrote:does anyone know the last time we drafted a straight up guard?

seems like all we draft are tackles and try to convert them to guard/center.

It's not a bad strategy if implemented correctly. Most college teams put their best linemen at tackle.

Jones doesn't really have the athleticism to play tackle, though LT is the one position they mentioned for Jones during their presser. I think that has more to do with Jones' college experience at LT than it does with finding his best position for the NFL.
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

• There is a difference here, Jones is going to start where he is comfortable first and learn the offense, he will play faster, then see what he can do, versus you played LT your whole career but were moving you to Center to see if you can do it and learn it then maybe be a back up at LT.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• PFF named Jamarco James one of the "Top steals from the 2018 NFL Draft."

Seattle Seahawks, Pick No 168 – Jamarco Jones, OT, Seattle Seahawks
    PFF Draft Board ranking: 32
    While he wasn’t particularly dominant in any particular phase of the game, former Ohio State T Jamarco Jones performed at an above average level across the board, making him a high-floor prospect and quite the steal for the Seattle Seahawks in the fifth round.

Allowing just 11 total pressures across 431 pass-blocking snaps, Jones tied for 11th in the draft class in pass-blocking efficiency (98.0) in 2017. He also ranked 35th run-block success percentage (92.1), which should only improve if Seattle’s coaches can correct his technique a bit and help him win the leverage battle at a more consistent rate.

It’s no secret that the Seahawks’ offensive line has received its fair share of lumps in recent years, but Jones, despite his draft status, can help put an end to a team in which ranked 30th in pass-blocking grades as a unit last year.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/p ... -nfl-draft
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

• Listening to Rob Staton, and he brought up a Combine comparison between Jamarco Jones, and Andrew Norwell.

Norwell also played at Ohio State, nad played well, but he went undrafted. According to Wikipedia, "Despite his decorated college career, Norwell was considered a borderline NFL prospect because of lingering questions about his athleticism"

His combine is almost identical to Jamarco's

Andrew Jamarco
    40 : 5.28 5.5
    Verticle 28" 24"
    Broad Jump 105" 102"
    3-Cone 8.09 8.32
    20Yd SS 4.93 4.99

So just because a player has a bad combine, it doesn't mean they can't succeed at the NFL level. Andrew Norwell did.

2017 season

On March 7, 2017, the Panthers placed a second-round tender on Norwell, who was set to be a restricted free agent.[13] On April 17, 2017, Norwell officially signed his tender with the Panthers.

Norwell started all 16 games at left guard, on his to being named first-team All-Pro. He was also ranked as the third best guard in the league according to Pro Football Focus.

Jacksonville Jaguars

On March 15, 2018, Norwell was signed a five-year, $66.5 million contract with the Jacksonville Jaguars with $30 million guaranteed, making him the highest paid guard in the league.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Norwell

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/jamarco-j ... 246beb2799
    "God Bless the Seattle Seahawks" Cortez Kennedy

http://ivotuk.com/
    ivotuk
    * NET Moderator *

• Daaaamn, I knew Norwell was undrafted, but I didn't know why. If Jamarco can be close to as good of a player as Norwell, we got an absolute steal.
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran

Next

It is currently Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:16 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information