8th worst pick

AKNFidel

Reaction score
Remember when Aaron Curry was the “cant miss” prospect... Or the Seahawks drafted a Short QB Russell Wilson way to early? Let’s all just relax an see how it all plays out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
Sox-n-Hawks

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
AKNFidel":1ovtr29x said:
Remember when Aaron Curry was the “cant miss” prospect... Or the Seahawks drafted a Short QB Russell Wilson way to early? Let’s all just relax an see how it all plays out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

For the record, I don't agree with them. I personally like his style and athleticism.

mikeak

Reaction score
This is saying it was a huge mistake because Seattle should have drafted an OL player. So anyone that Seattle drafted that wasn’t an OL player would be a huge mistake. Then add the reach for Perry

I do think they are ignoring new OL coach that will do more with less and Perry’s return skills which will spare Lockett

joeseahawks

Reaction score
The narrative that we should try fixing the O-line through the draft is so old. We have spent more draft capital on the O-Line that at any other position in recent years. We have 3 high draft picks (Pocic, Britt and Ifedi) who should be excellent contributors next season. Then we have Rees as well. We just need trainers to get the best out of them.

Schadie001

Reaction score
This is the same tired narrative we hear every year to problem is the analysts seem to be blind to the fact we have Duane Brown, signed DJ Flucker, still have Britt, a second year Pocic and a new OL coach, Offensive coordinator the list goes on. We are better than we have been in years on the OL. But hey we have done nothing unless we use a first, second and third round pick every year on OL.

themunn

Reaction score
Sox-n-Hawks":uu3lm0ph said:
Bleacher Report says Seattle made the 8th worst pick of the draft. I hope they're wrong.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...om&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial

What is says about Barkley rings completely untrue though. The list of high picked RBs runs pretty good

OJ Simpson
Earl Campbell
Barry Sanders
Eric Dickerson
LT
Marshall Faulk
Tony Dorsett
Walter Payton
Gale Sayers

All hall of famers that were picked in the top 5. More than a quarter of RBs in the HoF were picked in the top 5. Then you also have Jim Brown, Marcus Allen, Larry Csonka, John Riggins Jerome Bettis among others picked in the top 10. There are probably others among the older players (particularly pre-superbowl era) that were also picked high that are in the HoF that I'm not aware of.

Plenty others who maybe didn't have transcendent careers but were still very good players, Jamal Lewis, Edgerrin James, George Rogers

And then the likes of Bo Jackson, Billy Sims, who had short careers due to injury but were "tilt-the-field" players when they were on it.

So basically what I'm saying is if you want a Hall of Fame running back you need to pick them early or you've got practically no chance, so this BR article is not worth reading... I never even got to the bit about the Seahawks pick

original poster

Reaction score
themunn":10qidspi said:
Sox-n-Hawks":10qidspi said:
Bleacher Report says Seattle made the 8th worst pick of the draft. I hope they're wrong.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...om&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial

What is says about Barkley rings completely untrue though. The list of high picked RBs runs pretty good

OJ Simpson
Earl Campbell
Barry Sanders
Eric Dickerson
LT
Marshall Faulk
Tony Dorsett
Walter Payton
Gale Sayers

All hall of famers that were picked in the top 5. More than a quarter of RBs in the HoF were picked in the top 5. Then you also have Jim Brown, Marcus Allen, Larry Csonka, John Riggins Jerome Bettis among others picked in the top 10. There are probably others among the older players (particularly pre-superbowl era) that were also picked high that are in the HoF that I'm not aware of.

Plenty others who maybe didn't have transcendent careers but were still very good players, Jamal Lewis, Edgerrin James, George Rogers

And then the likes of Bo Jackson, Billy Sims, who had short careers due to injury but were "tilt-the-field" players when they were on it.

So basically what I'm saying is if you want a Hall of Fame running back you need to pick them early or you've got practically no chance, so this BR article is not worth reading... I never even got to the bit about the Seahawks pick

By your own admission roughly 25% of HoF RB's are top 5 picks, the remaining (roughly) 75% aren't.

I think I'd rather take my chances on the 75%, personally.

themunn

Reaction score
original poster":1mre5mr6 said:
themunn":1mre5mr6 said:
Sox-n-Hawks":1mre5mr6 said:

OJ Simpson
Earl Campbell
Barry Sanders
Eric Dickerson
LT
Marshall Faulk
Tony Dorsett
Walter Payton
Gale Sayers

By your own admission roughly 25% of HoF RB's are top 5 picks, the remaining (roughly) 75% aren't.

Well if you're gonna do that... I said I didn't know about a good number of players. Having had a look now I can tell you that 21 of the 32 running backs in the hall of fame were picked in the top 10

So that means that since roughly 66% of hall of fame running backs come from the top 4% of picks, you are around 40x more likely to find a hall of famer if you take a running back in the top 10 than in the rest of the picks combined.

original poster

Reaction score
themunn":l02f005s said:
original poster":l02f005s said:
themunn":l02f005s said:
Sox-n-Hawks":l02f005s said:

OJ Simpson
Earl Campbell
Barry Sanders
Eric Dickerson
LT
Marshall Faulk
Tony Dorsett
Walter Payton
Gale Sayers

Well if you're gonna do that... I said I didn't know about a good number of players. Having had a look now I can tell you that 21 of the 32 running backs in the hall of fame were picked in the top 10

So that means that since roughly 66% of hall of fame running backs come from the top 4% of picks, you are around 40x more likely to find a hall of famer if you take a running back in the top 10 than in the rest of the picks combined.

Hats off, Munn!

Must say I'm surprised that so many of the (roughly) 75% come from picks 6-10.

Interesting :2thumbs:

Rat

Reaction score
Until this team shows otherwise, I have no problem with the perception that we have an OL problem. Hopefully, this will be another one of those cases where they're saying "We were wrong" in a few years, but for now, I can't get too upset with those who think our first round selection was short-sighted.

I wanted Sony Michel if we were going to go RB high because he looked so mind-blowingly explosive whenever I caught him, but it's not like I saw many San Diego State games here in Michigan.

I've been saying for years that running backs are not as interchangeable as our fans make them out to be. I'm excited to see what kind of improvement this addition creates.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
I don't think anyone is saying we don't have questions marks on the O-line.

Its just lazy to say that the only solution is drafting guys in rounds 1-3 to fix it.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
These are media feebs who think if we don't follow their script, we "made a mistake". They said the same thing about Russell Wilson.

GO HAWKS!!!!!!!!!!!!

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
The 2012 Draft class grades.

Donald Wood, Bleacher Report F
Jason Cole, Yahoo Sports D-
Pete Prisco, CBS Sports C+
Matt Miller, Bleacher Report D
SI.com (author not listed) C
Vinny Iyer, Sporting News D
Mel Kiper, ESPN C-
Chad Reuter, NFL.com C+

These guys are literally guessing.

And let's bring this out again, it's always good for a laugh.

[youtube]SpD09ymv3dw[/youtube]

Chapow

Reaction score
I think it's pretty fair to say that our OL isn't very good and hasn't been very good in quite awhile. However, it is mind numbingly ignorant to claim that they've ignored the position. They have spent a ton of resources on the OL. At this point we can only hope that the problem was the coaching, not the players.

naholmes

Reaction score
The pick did appear to be a reach at the time but in hindsight one can see that EIGHT running backs were picked by the time the Hawks 2nd pick came around at 76. That is twice as many as last year and the most since 2008 (10). Teams valued RB significantly higher this year and that is only apparent after the picks have been made.

mikeak

Reaction score
Based on number of picks, gaps in when the next pick was and our failure to run last year

Then add changes to OL - signed players, cut players, new coach

And you can EASILY justify taking a RB where we did

Who we took is simply a different discussion than what position we drafted