Blocked on two draft picks?

Hendo66

Reaction score
There were two trades just before Seattle picks.
Oakland traded up to get Mo Hurst, we then took Shaq so maybe they weren't looking at Hurst?

Minnesota traded up to get the first Kicker. After drafting a Punter i thought the FO was going to make it a total kicking overhaul before then.

Any insights?

ivotuk

Reaction score
Word has it that Gruden was going to draft the punter Dickson, but we traded up in front of him and got him.

People are bemoaning the fact that "OMG! Seattle TRADED UP! For a Kicker!! Yes, we did. Gave up a whole 7th round pick to move in front of Oakland and get the best punter to come along in decades.

Punters are important. Just look at how Johnny Hekker can change the field for the Rams. Who else are you going to pick there that could have that much effect on a game? (MVP of a bowl game).

sutz

Reaction score
People trade picks to get in front of other teams all the time. Pretty much every year. It's all part of the game and strategy.

:229031_shrug:

AgentDib

Reaction score
The OP is asking: "Did teams jump in front of the Seahawks and take the players we were targeting out from under us?"

Re: Not drafting a place kicker
Janikowski was 26 for 27 from within 50 yards and hit 37 of 39 extra points in his last season. His accuracy from <50 has always been very good and Pete would rather punt and pin them deep from 50+, thus the acquisition of Dickson. I think they feel pretty good about the Janikowski/Dickson combo in 2018. We won't be trying many 50+ field goals and that's the way Pete likes it.

We do still need a long-term kicker but you don't take them until you need to. I strongly doubt that Eddy Pineiro would have made it to UDFA if we felt we needed a kicker this season. He has high upside and I haven't seen any reports that we even tried to bring him in as a UDFA.

Re: Shaqueem instead of Mo Hurst
In the post draft interview they claimed to have him targeted as the pick ahead of time and were just nervously waiting until their selection. Of course Oakland didn't know that, so it's entirely possible/probable that Oakland moved up in front of us with the thought that we'd take the gamble on Hurst.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
I don't think we were blocked on either account, if that's what the OP is implying. Rather, it seems we blocked others in our trades. The Penny trade certainly couldn't have dropped us lower and still retained him. The Dickson trade appears to have been a necessary move, too.

IBleedBlueAndGreen

Reaction score
AgentDib":1bmr57ej said:
The OP is asking: "Did teams jump in front of the Seahawks and take the players we were targeting out from under us?"

Janikowski was 26 for 27 from within 50 yards and hit 37 of 39 extra points in his last season. His accuracy from <50 has always been very good and Pete would rather punt and pin them deep from 50+, thus the acquisition of Dickson. I think they feel pretty good about the Janikowski/Dickson combo in 2018. We won't be trying many 50+ field goals and that's the way Pete likes it.

We do still need a long-term kicker but you don't take them until you need to. I strongly doubt that Eddy Pineiro would have made it to UDFA if we felt we needed a kicker this season. He has high upside and I haven't seen any reports that we even tried to bring him in as a UDFA.

In the post draft interview they claimed to have him targeted as the pick ahead of time and were just nervously waiting until their selection. Of course Oakland didn't know that, so it's entirely possible/probable that Oakland moved up in front of us with the thought that we'd take the gamble on Hurst.

In three out of the last four years the Hawks have attempted two or less field goals of 50+ yards. You're correct, ain't gonna happen much unless 1. we're at altitude like our season opener in Denver, 2. it's wind assisted or 3. its at the end of the half/game and there aren't other viable choices.

mikeak

Reaction score
It is possible - even remotely possible that the number of attempts for long FGs is related to how confident we were in our kicker making them...........

just saying a kicker with a better leg - you may try more. Just maybe......

OP
OP
H

Hendo66

Reaction score
AgentDib":346gd1h5 said:

Exactly what i was trying to say. Thanks Dib

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
RE: The new punter, did anyone hear, during the PC/JS presser that JS said " he can put a lot of spin on the ball" and held his arms wide! Maybe punts will be a lot harder to catch and return because of that unique kicker feature? That would seem to fit in with the special teams additions. A few returner fumbles may be the desired outcome, talk about changing field position? This could be an overlooked factor many are sleeping on. That ability could make the punter a real "offensive weapon". + The Seahawks gain a couple million in cap space without Ryan.
:smilingalien: