Extension for Earl?

Seymour

Reaction score
Earl can shove it where the sun doesn't shine as far as I'm concerned. Pay Brown and Clark and let Earl walk....for nothing for all I care. He showed his colors with Wagner and Garrett and that is enough for me to say goodbye (after 1 more year of whining about more $$ like Bennett).

chris98251

Reaction score
This could go a lot of ways, signing him to an extension also makes him more tradable since it won't just be a one year rental for a team, secondly depending how it is structured they could give themselves room by adding a bonus into a more cap friendly year, lots of maneuvering could be done there.

toffee

Reaction score
Seymour":1ebdwf3l said:
Earl can shove it where the sun doesn't shine as far as I'm concerned. Pay Brown and Clark and let Earl walk....for nothing for all I care. He showed his colors with Wagner and Garrett and that is enough for me to say goodbye (after 1 more year of whining about more $$ like Bennett).
Couldn’t agree more! Walk Earl walk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Earl never did anything to Wager. He was asked a question in an interview and said Wagner probably should not have played in the Rams debacle because he was still hurt. If anything, that was a defense of Wagner.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
I dont care what he did, Earl is one of the best safeties in the league and i'm happy he's still here. I think the chances of resigning him to an extension is almost nonexistent though.

jmahon316

Reaction score
chris98251":1sk65dqp said:
This could go a lot of ways, signing him to an extension also makes him more tradable since it won't just be a one year rental for a team, secondly depending how it is structured they could give themselves room by adding a bonus into a more cap friendly year, lots of maneuvering could be done there.

I have to agree with you. I think the biggest thing stopping us from getting a bigger payoff from Earl is the fact that he was so adamant about playing for the Cowboys which really strangled our hopes from trading him to another team willing to roll the dice on keeping him longer than his year and no one wanted to take that chance. If we extend him and THEN trade him, I feel like a 2nd and 4th MINIMUM from next year's draft won't be such a reach.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
He screwed himself. We couldn't even get a 2nd round pick for him (I wouldn't either). If there is extension, it better not be near the realm of highest paid safety. Hawks hold the cards now, not him.

There are still reports/speculation that Dallas is still trying to get him though. Nothing is certain yet.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
vin.couve12":1bv7xvy2 said:
He screwed himself. We couldn't even get a 2nd round pick for him (I wouldn't either). If there is extension, it better not be near the realm of highest paid safety. Hawks hold the cards now, not him.

There are still reports/speculation that Dallas is still trying to get him though. Nothing is certain yet.

I don't think Earl ever wanted to be traded. He was concerned that he would be.

original poster

Reaction score
If Earl is extended I’ll be keeping everything possible crossed that it turns out to be a good contract that he plays to or above.

I really wouldn’t expect (legitimate) trade talks to flair up if he is extended, though. The chance if there being a pretty hefty signing bonus is a given and if he was traded, Seattle would be on the hook for said signing bonus.

If he’s extended, he’s staying. Seems odd that this needs clarifying but there’s been so much floating around it’s worth pointing out.

It’s hard not to be excited that we possibly get an All Pro safety locked up for a few more years. Although I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t slightly concerned given the string of luck we’ve had with 3rd contracts of late.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
vin.couve12":3bhj3l67 said:

If you're a GM, and think you're SB window is open? Why the hell wouldn't you think a top 5 safety is worth a 2nd round pick?

Makes me think the Hawks wanted more than just a 2nd rounder for Earl, or else the Cowboys or another team would have pulled that trigger, even if it was just a one year rental.

But no, I've said from day one, no way in hell I'm giving Earl an Eric Berry-esque monster extension, which is what's reported he wants. Two year incentive laden extension to prove he's not going to keep missing large chunks of the season due to injury? Sure, I'm down with that.

edogg23

Reaction score
I love Earl but the fact is, his market value is not worth what he wants. Let him play out his contract this year and then do a franchise or sign and trade next year.

rcaido

Reaction score
You have to pay your core players! Earl is a core player! Extend him or just franchise him until he's too expensive to franchise. He is too good of a player for just a 2nd round pick.

The hypocrisy of these butthurt fans still being upset with Earl needs to get over it...Look what they did to Sherman.

Seafan

Reaction score
I'm glad the club makes these decisions an not the fans. If he's worth an extension he'll get one. If the Hawks can get a 3rd round comp to let him go elsewhere and get over paid then it will happen.

I like the fact he's in a contract year and hopefully he plays like it and stays healthy. The Hawks will benefit from that.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Will land somewhere between the nice safe 2-year extension this thread suggests (and which I'd agree with) and the monster extension Earl wants.

Basically, it'll land in exactly the right spot to ensure the debate continues to rage on .NET.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
I would still try to trade him if at all possible. If we aren't going to get good value, then I am fine with playing hardball. He wants an extension, or he wants to hold out? Good luck buddy, we hold all of the power here. Given previous tweets, the cowboys locker room fiasco --- and his passive aggressive stance towards a few teammates, I think it is safe to say that he has mentally checked out long ago.

If he wants to hold out, I say let him. When he holds out for long enough, and the league bleeds him dry with penalties he will come running back. We could even drag this out with the franchise tag if he wants to be difficult. The Seahawks, and Pete Carroll need to assert their dominance here. We shouldn't trade him for mere scraps, and we also shouldn't just cave in and give him what he wants if he is being unreasonable.

Earl Thomas can't afford to play a war of attrition with the Seahawks. If we do end up trading him, I sincerely hope that he goes to the Cleveland Browns. Both out of spite, and the prospect of having an advantageous spot in the draft.

adeltaY

Reaction score
So are we generally averse to third contracts for all players? I've even seen a fair few here who are against re-signing Russell Wilson.