Looking at the 2018 Seahawks offensive line without bias

Jville

Reaction score
Usa today 105653510

Better that Kenneth Arthur author such an article than me. Worth while read to reflect on. Remember .... although I very much like the article, I didn't write it. :escape:

Looking at the 2018 Seahawks offensive line without bias >>> [urltargetblank]https://www.fieldgulls.com/2018/5/4/17318920/2018-seahawks-offensive-line-without-negative-bias-duane-brown-grade-dj-fluker-pff[/urltargetblank]

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Jville as ever you bring a calming sober sense of reality to the board. :2thumbs:

Thanks for posting that link, I enjoyed it too. Unfortunately there will be the ever present howlers who will disagree and point to the team's impending doom when RW gets crushed by a free rusher the whole line whiffed on. :177692:

At this stage I remain cautiously optimistic, thankful for a new beginning, and hopeful another year of experience together for a few returning OLinemen will allow them to raise their game. A new OC will be interesting as well along with a renewed determination and the tools to pound the rock better than last season.

A fresh start is reason enough for a bit of optimism.

Seymour

Reaction score
Good read and thanks for posting it. Yes, there is hope, and only time will tell. I have no doubt there will still be plenty of doubt, given the protection Wilson has lacked virtually his whole career here though.

justafan

Reaction score
Good article but Cable deserves the lions share of the blame. Now they have addressed the RB spot and the weakness at the coaching Im optimistic.

I hope we never hire a true raider coach again.

GeekHawk

Reaction score
justafan":1qs2zaqt said:
Good article but Cable deserves the lions share of the blame. Now they have addressed the RB spot and the weakness at the coaching Im optimistic.

I hope we never hire a true raider coach again.

Yeah, the last two didn't work out at all. I've never found it to be a coincidence that both Raider coaches we hired went straight back to that organization after spending several years wrecking the Seahawks. I imagine they both made way more money overall than we were paying them...

toffee

Reaction score
Let me be the homer to predict our OL will be up to the challenge in the coming season. Unless Brown seriously regress, otherwise I am optimistic . I like to see Roos get some opportunities at LG, heck even RG.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nrayorr

Reaction score
I have confidence that the o-line will be better because we sure as heck can't be much worse. I like the new talent and the new coaching staff with exception to Norton as our DC. I think that Richard is the better coach at that position, but oh well... let's see what Norton can do.

I'm pretty pumped about this year. I'm sure we'll do better!! GO HAWKS!!

toffee

Reaction score
With additional of blocking TE and FB, pass blocking ought to improve some. Run blocking?

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
I see the offense being better just by 86’ing a couple of underperforming assistant offensive coaches.
Even if the 2 guys brought in were to be league average or close to it.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
toffee":1jmimwuu said:
With additional of blocking TE and FB, pass blocking ought to improve some. Run blocking?

You’d think so.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
There are reasons to be optimistic about improvement in the offensive line. This article does a great job summarizing those reasons. I certainly feel better about this group than I did about the personnel we had entering the previous few seasons. I'm really thankful for Duane Brown.

Of course, there are negatives too that provide a fuller picture on the state of the offensive line. Every Seahawks fan wants the offensive line to be great. And no one is without bias.

Understanding your weaknesses is the best way to put the players in a position to succeed. JImmy Graham was "one of the NFL’s worst blocking tight ends." Recognizing that weakness and deploying him in more creative ways would have made the offense stronger; the New Orleans coaches maximized Graham's strengths and concealed his weaknesses, going as far as moving him to prevent him for being "nudged" at the line of scrimmage. Ed Dickson is a very solid pass blocker, but he is also a pretty terrible run blocker. Recognizing these strengths and weaknesses is half the battle.

And then there is Germain Ifedi, who appears to be careening toward another season playing out of position at RT. Leading the NFL in holding and false start penalties was not enough? To make matters even more confusing, Fluker has consistently graded better at RT than at RG. There are reasons for optimism, certainly, but to truly excel we must look in the mirror, account for our weaknesses, and make the necessary adjustments.

nanomoz

Reaction score
To my eyes Ifedi was so much better at right tackle than he was at guard. The penalties and being a rookie in 2016 complicate that, of course. He had like three times as many penalties in 2017 compared to 2016.

I think he plays too high to be a good guard. If he's a bust at tackle I think he's a bust.

I think we'll know if it's going to work in five or six games in 2018--assuming he plays. I'm actually hopeful for some stupid reason.

original poster

Reaction score
nanomoz":12u8uxd5 said:
To my eyes Ifedi was so much better at right tackle than he was at guard. The penalties and being a rookie in 2016 complicate that, of course. He had like three times as many penalties in 2017 compared to 2016.

I think he plays too high to be a good guard. If he's a bust at tackle I think he's a bust.

I think we'll know if it's going to work in five or six games in 2018--assuming he plays. I'm actually hopeful for some stupid reason.

That's interesting. I see Ifedi succeeding at guard more so than Tackle.

I remain very optimistic about him, though.

He could easily be Justin Britt 2.0.

I'm sure everyone on here remembers how we all wanted Britt off the team after two seasons. Exactly the same is happening with Ifedi.

It's been proven that year 3 usually see's a huge jump in performance for NFL players. Where that stands with Ifedi playing one year at RG and one at RT I don't know, very intrigued to see it all pan out.

this is going to be an exciting year of football, that's for sure! Purely for how many question marks and unknowns we have surrounding this team, can't help but get excited over that! :2thumbs:

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
Great article! We're gonna jam some mofos off the line this year, ya'll! I like the part about Penny making up for his lack of blocking by being a receiver threat. You just don't put him in there on the rb-blocking plays, or have another rb blocker. Why are they talking about after Brown? Is there some reason to think he's going someplace?

GO HAWKS!!!!!!!!!!!!

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Lords of Scythia":2gljycbm said:
Great article! We're gonna jam some mofos off the line this year, ya'll! I like the part about Penny making up for his lack of blocking by being a receiver threat. You just don't put him in there on the rb-blocking plays, or have another rb blocker. Why are they talking about after Brown? Is there some reason to think he's going someplace?

GO HAWKS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brown is 32 years old and in the final year of his deal.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Without even having read that article yet, I'm going to predict that our offensive line will be better - but it'll be mostly because of having far fewer plays called that require them to block for long periods of time on long-developing routes combined with less predictable play calls that the defense knows how to read before the snap.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
That would be a god damn horrible disaster if they can't hook a brother up with a new pop. Oline guys can play forever. I don't know if he's good enough to franchise-tag, or if that would cost more, or if they need that elsewhere. His next contract is probably his last big one. COME oN, SCHNEID! HOOK A LINEMAN UP!

hawknation2018

Reaction score
original poster":3u0ggxu4 said:
nanomoz":3u0ggxu4 said:

That's interesting. I see Ifedi succeeding at guard more so than Tackle.

I remain very optimistic about him, though.

He could easily be Justin Britt 2.0.

I'm sure everyone on here remembers how we all wanted Britt off the team after two seasons. Exactly the same is happening with Ifedi.

It's been proven that year 3 usually see's a huge jump in performance for NFL players. Where that stands with Ifedi playing one year at RG and one at RT I don't know, very intrigued to see it all pan out.

this is going to be an exciting year of football, that's for sure! Purely for how many question marks and unknowns we have surrounding this team, can't help but get excited over that! :2thumbs:

Pad level is one of the more easily correctable technique issues for a lineman. Plus, Ifedi hasn't had an issue with any real issue with pad level. 6 feet, 5 3/4 inches tall (325 lbs) isn't too tall for a guard. Generally, he does a nice job staying low and firing off the ball in the run game.

Ifedi's tape at RG is small: 13 games, as a rookie, playing a new position and dealing with a high ankle sprain. But unlike at RT, Ifedi showed the potential to grow into a very good guard had they left him at that position. Above all else, he is a north-south road grader. This is why Walter Jones said last season that he thought Ifedi should move back to RG. I wish we could hear more from Jones on this topic.

The key difference between Ifedi and James Carpenter is that Carpenter was smart enough to ask for -- and embrace -- a move to guard. Like Ifedi, Carpenter had played tackle for most of his career, but he wasn't well suited for that position at the NFL level. Recognizing oneself is fundamentally important to success in any profession.

SanDiego49er

Reaction score
The best thing you can do is commit to the run. Even a moderate O Line is better when you run and beat up the other teams front 7. You can't just let them pin their ears back and rush the passer full speed. It will make them accountable to the running game. Plus you have a speedy big time RB now. So use him and take some pressure off the pass rush and Russell Wilson. I believe they way your line is made up personnel wise it is slated more for run blocking than pass blocking. I understand you had some big pass blocking troubles last season. But the way to handle that is to take some pressure off of the pass blocking by run blocking.