Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Think the LOB is gone?

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Think the LOB is gone?
Sun May 06, 2018 5:11 am
  • If anyone thinks the LOB is gone.... they might just wait to see what version 2.0 looks like. Tre Flowers highlight reel has me pumped for this season. He's already using some Hawk-tackle techniques as well. Get some!

2018 Adopt a Rookie: Rashaad Penny

Sox-n-Hawks
    NET Veteran

Re: Think the LOB is gone?
Sun May 06, 2018 6:06 am
  • There is much potential to be sure. He takes chances and lets some guys get behind him but makes big plays too.
    brimsalabim
    NET Veteran

Sun May 06, 2018 6:15 am
  • brimsalabim wrote:There is much potential to be sure. He takes chances and lets some guys get behind him but makes big plays too.

Find a Corner that doesn't.

Sox-n-Hawks
    NET Veteran

Sun May 06, 2018 7:58 am
  • I am pretty excited to watch this kid play next season.

I have high hopes for him. He has the size and speed to develop into a top corner in the league.
    Russellmania3
    NET Rookie

Sun May 06, 2018 8:12 am
  • Interesting, he wears #31.
    ~ HOLY CATFISH ~
    MD5eahawks
    NET Veteran

Sun May 06, 2018 8:42 am
  • Well, the LOB (Legion of Boom) was named after the Legion of Doom by some self-admitted comic book nerds. So unless the new crop are also comic book nerds they'll probably have to come up with a new name. Has any team had a DOD (Department of Defense)?
    GeekHawk
    US Navy ET Nuc

Sun May 06, 2018 9:21 am
  • Sox-n-Hawks wrote:
    brimsalabim wrote:There is much potential to be sure. He takes chances and lets some guys get behind him but makes big plays too.

Find a Corner that doesn't.

That issue should be minimized if Earl Thomas remains on the Seahawks. ET is a great security blanket for a guy like Flowers. He did the same for Sherman, Maxwell, Browner, and Thurmond. Thomas has factored in to their development so will be the case for the next version of LOB.
    Last edited by hawkfan68 on Sun May 06, 2018 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran

Sun May 06, 2018 10:50 am
  • LOB, as we knew it l, is indeed done, but I am excited by the new boys. If some of them developed under Pete’s system, we may see a LOB v2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    ++ You can call me a homer, but I am not the only one ++
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    toffee
    NET Veteran

Sun May 06, 2018 11:16 am
  • I literally thought about this the other day and was going to even make a post about it, but I wasn't sure if I was just being too optimistic or not :P I'm generally stoked to see this new defense play lights out with something that we've been missing for a while now as a team - a chip on our shoulders.
    2018 Adopt-a-rookie: Tre Flowers, CB
    jmahon316
    NET Rookie

Sun May 06, 2018 12:07 pm
  • I have tempered expectations

The highlight reels are always inspiring and making you think the draft picks are great. They are not IMHO anything that should be used for believing a player is great / bust

Tharold Simon as example - located the ball great in his highlight reel. Looks like a great corner - never happened

Not saying draft is a bust or a success just hat watching highlights now isn’t going to tell me what we have
    Last edited by mikeak on Sun May 06, 2018 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

Sun May 06, 2018 1:48 pm
  • LOB was the former, we are building the LOG...

Legion of Griffin-dor.
    WE ALL WE GOT, WE ALL WE NEED!!!!!!!!!!!
    Pandion Haliaetus
    NET Veteran

Sun May 06, 2018 2:16 pm
  • GeekHawk wrote:Well, the LOB (Legion of Boom) was named after the Legion of Doom by some self-admitted comic book nerds. So unless the new crop are also comic book nerds they'll probably have to come up with a new name. Has any team had a DOD (Department of Defense)?

Actually it was after these guys.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Sun May 06, 2018 3:02 pm
  • how bout the name LOB just dies with the old crew that was here...come up with something new...
    Super Bowl XLVIII Champions 2014.02.02 Seahawks 43 Broncos 8
    Cyrus12
    NET Veteran

Sun May 06, 2018 3:19 pm

Sun May 06, 2018 3:21 pm
  • It will go the way of the No Name Defense, The Purple People Eaters, Fearsome Foursome, Steel Curtain, and the Smurfs. The players that made up those Nick Names were as much apart of them as their play. Once the players have moved on it's not the same and people stop using it. However every defense is compared to those aspects or offense for that matter when it comes to the receivers making up the Smurfs, It's now what teams hope to use as a motivation for the new crop as far as play level. Announcers will use it as a reference, this rivals the play of the LOB or this group isn't close to the LOB etc.

Those saying give them a new name, you have to be really bad or really good to get a Nick Name.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Sun May 06, 2018 3:31 pm
  • Time will tell. He could be Shead or Simon which is much more likely than being Sherman.
    Smellyman
    NET Veteran

Sun May 06, 2018 6:20 pm
  • Smellyman wrote:Time will tell. He could be Shead or Simon which is much more likely than being Sherman.

Or a Woodsen. Who knows, college play doesn’t seem to equate professional performance.

Sox-n-Hawks
    NET Veteran

Sun May 06, 2018 6:57 pm
  • Sherman was quick to adopt the LOB moniker, the name was the brainchild of one of the.net crew, to advance his franchise as one of the best CBs in the league. The boom came from the physical thumping of Chancellor and Browner but was swiped by Sherm to advance his franchise. Others tried to enter the group but Sherman was quick to restrict it to the original four of Chancellor, Browner, Thomas, and Sherman, but the 12s included the whole D into the LOB.

The name is the property of the 12th man and not that of Sherman, Thomas, Chancellor, or Browner, but clearly those four were special and deserve to be remembered as the founders of the LOB but so are Bennett, Avril, Mebane, Red Bryant, Chris Clemons, and especially Wagner, KJ Wright, Irvin, and every one of the RCBs that played after Browner was suspended for whichever substance was the latest. Of course some will argue the LOB is gone but of course it isn’t, a new group will be created to play tough D and the LO B will be renewed.

Perhaps some may think this post is not fair to Sherman, but the LOB is our name for our team’s D when it plays to it’s #1 standard. I think we will be happy to use the name again the LOB is far from gone.
    Until we develop a pass rush that will cause opposing teams to be forced to scheme to defend it we will never be able to consistently take the final step. The interior rush needs improvement. The OLine clearly still needs work.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions at last after 38 seasons. Awesome!!!
    jammerhawk
    NET Veteran

Sun May 06, 2018 8:15 pm
  • jammerhawk wrote:Sherman was quick to adopt the LOB moniker, the name was the brainchild of one of the.net crew, to advance his franchise as one of the best CBs in the league. The boom came from the physical thumping of Chancellor and Browner but was swiped by Sherm to advance his franchise. Others tried to enter the group but Sherman was quick to restrict it to the original four of Chancellor, Browner, Thomas, and Sherman, but the 12s included the whole D into the LOB.

The name is the property of the 12th man and not that of Sherman, Thomas, Chancellor, or Browner, but clearly those four were special and deserve to be remembered as the founders of the LOB but so are Bennett, Avril, Mebane, Red Bryant, Chris Clemons, and especially Wagner, KJ Wright, Irvin, and every one of the RCBs that played after Browner was suspended for whichever substance was the latest. Of course some will argue the LOB is gone but of course it isn’t, a new group will be created to play tough D and the LO B will be renewed.

Perhaps some may think this post is not fair to Sherman, but the LOB is our name for our team’s D when it plays to it’s #1 standard. I think we will be happy to use the name again the LOB is far from gone.

Maybe so, but even with the Rams D line during the Fisher era nobody called them the Fearsom Foursome, or the current Vikings the Purple People Eaters.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Mon May 07, 2018 5:46 am
  • chris98251 wrote:
    jammerhawk wrote:Sherman was quick to adopt the LOB moniker, the name was the brainchild of one of the.net crew, to advance his franchise as one of the best CBs in the league. The boom came from the physical thumping of Chancellor and Browner but was swiped by Sherm to advance his franchise. Others tried to enter the group but Sherman was quick to restrict it to the original four of Chancellor, Browner, Thomas, and Sherman, but the 12s included the whole D into the LOB.

Maybe so, but even with the Rams D line during the Fisher era nobody called them the Fearsom Foursome, or the current Vikings the Purple People Eaters.

Those are all names from the 70s, before most of us were born, and before any players were born. Why would anyone use them?
    CPHawk
    NET Veteran

Mon May 07, 2018 6:13 pm
  • CPHawk wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:
    jammerhawk wrote:Sherman was quick to adopt the LOB moniker, the name was the brainchild of one of the.net crew, to advance his franchise as one of the best CBs in the league. The boom came from the physical thumping of Chancellor and Browner but was swiped by Sherm to advance his franchise. Others tried to enter the group but Sherman was quick to restrict it to the original four of Chancellor, Browner, Thomas, and Sherman, but the 12s included the whole D into the LOB.

Those are all names from the 70s, before most of us were born, and before any players were born. Why would anyone use them?

Because something that seems lost on the last couple of generations is History, where the game came from. The reason those names have not been resurrected is because either the unit wasn't as good or had no personality to represent it.

Mean Joe Green, Jack Lambert, Deacon Jones, Alan Page, Carl Eller, Richard Sherman, the Smurfs and later to include the TE's called the Fun Bunch, they were the reason this was instituted. There was a personality to these groups. Many fans would like to reclaim that period and the greatness that it stood represented for their teams.

Known for their choreographed group celebrations in the end zone (usually a group high-five) following a touchdown, the Fun Bunch's actions eventually resulted in a league-wide ban of "excessive celebration" in 1984.

But I guess going forward they will name groups the Ipods or Androids maybe even the Frappachinos, after all anyone not 35 and younger doesn't matter anyway according I guess to some people. Seems like the Baby Boomers are still the largest population generation, we all have not died yet and expect you all to keep paying for our Social security while we spend your inheritence selfishly. :P

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Tue May 15, 2018 4:25 am
  • The Legion of Boom will always be here as long as Kam Chancellor is around. He started the name while on Bob, Groz and Tom when he said "I have to bring the BOOM." which was a phrase he liked to use when he would lay folks out.

From there, BG&T I believe, developed it in to the Legion of Boom with input from fans.

And the LOB was brought together by Pete Carroll's and John Schneider's shrewd drafting, plucking elite players out of late rounds.

So actually, as long as Pete Carroll puts this type of Defensive Backfield on the playing field, we can keep calling them L.O.B.

And if you look, we still have Byron Maxwell, Earl Thomas, and Kam Chancellor.
    "God Bless the Seattle Seahawks" Cortez Kennedy

http://ivotuk.com/
    ivotuk
    * NET Moderator *

Tue May 15, 2018 6:03 am
  • brimsalabim wrote:There is much potential to be sure. He takes chances and lets some guys get behind him but makes big plays too.

He looked like he was getting beat on several snaps. He's not all that fast. He's got a decent 4:45 - 40 time but that isn't in the top echelon for DB's in the 2018 NFL Combine, several had sub 4:4 times and several WR's had sub 4:30 times.
    SeaWolv
    NET Starter

Tue May 15, 2018 5:55 pm
  • SeaWolv wrote:
    brimsalabim wrote:There is much potential to be sure. He takes chances and lets some guys get behind him but makes big plays too.

He looked like he was getting beat on several snaps. He's not all that fast. He's got a decent 4:45 - 40 time but that isn't in the top echelon for DB's in the 2018 NFL Combine, several had sub 4:4 times and several WR's had sub 4:30 times.

You realize

Sherman's 40 time was 4.56
    Chris Harris: 4.48
    Brandon Boykin. 4.44

40 time isn't the best indicator of performance, it's just one piece to the puzzle. He's 6'3" and 202lbs. PC takes big, fast corners and teaches them to "Hawk Tackle" then lets the beast feed. If anyone thinks Tre Flowers isn't an up and coming CB, they didn't watch his games very closely. Hell, Sherman was a pedestrian receiver turned CB who was too big to play at the NFL level.....

Sox-n-Hawks
    NET Veteran

Tue May 15, 2018 11:58 pm
  • SeaWolv wrote:

Not even 1 ran a sub 4.3 40 time.
    www.hawk-talk.com

Richard Sherman wrote:People look forward to writing us off. Our demise was greatly overstated.
    original poster
    * NET Moderator *

Wed May 16, 2018 4:48 am
  • original poster wrote:
    SeaWolv wrote:

Facts never work around here Poster. Hhaha

Sox-n-Hawks
    NET Veteran

Wed May 16, 2018 5:22 am
  • Sox-n-Hawks wrote:
    original poster wrote:
    SeaWolv wrote:

Facts never work around here Poster. Hhaha

Haha! :roll: :2thumbs:
    www.hawk-talk.com

Richard Sherman wrote:People look forward to writing us off. Our demise was greatly overstated.
    original poster
    * NET Moderator *

Wed May 16, 2018 5:30 am
  • Sox-n-Hawks wrote:
    SeaWolv wrote:

You realize

Sherman's 40 time was 4.56
    Chris Harris: 4.48
    Brandon Boykin. 4.44

40 time isn't the best indicator of performance, it's just one piece to the puzzle. He's 6'3" and 202lbs. PC takes big, fast corners and teaches them to "Hawk Tackle" then lets the beast feed. If anyone thinks Tre Flowers isn't an up and coming CB, they didn't watch his games very closely. Hell, Sherman was a pedestrian receiver turned CB who was too big to play at the NFL level.....

Sherman is intuitive because he's so smart, he could anticipate where the play was going. However, if he misjudged the play he didn't have the speed to compensate. Didn't happen often but once in a while it did. Is Flowers intuitive like Sherman or ET? Hopefully he is, he has decent speed but he's not the fastest. The Top DB's at the combine were in the 4:32 range.
    SeaWolv
    NET Starter

Wed May 16, 2018 5:31 am
  • original poster wrote:
    SeaWolv wrote:

Yes you're correct, I should not have used the word sub there. I should have said they had 4:3 times or sub 4:4 times.
    SeaWolv
    NET Starter

Wed May 16, 2018 9:24 am
  • ivotuk wrote:

Kam will probably never play football again, Maxwell's a band aid until we can draft or develop another young stud CB, and Earl's on his way to leaving/being traded or consecutive years of being franchised and mired in a contract holdout.

It's over. To continue to call our defensive backfield the LOB is insulting and diminishing what Sherman, Kam and Earl accomplished at the height of their careers.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu May 17, 2018 4:56 am
  • They don't need a name, just be a damn good D.
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

Thu May 17, 2018 6:55 am
  • Honestly, with the NFL's safety emphasis, the LOB is pretty much dead no matter what players are on your team if delivering the boom gets you a penalty, fine, and a possible suspension. It was the LOB because we had the most physical safety in the league with Kam and and the most physical corner in the league with Brandon Browner. When you faced the Seahawks as a wide receiver you knew you were literally going to get beat up out there. That style of play isn't even allowed anymore.
    edogg23
    NET Veteran

Thu May 17, 2018 7:05 am
  • Smellyman wrote:Time will tell. He could be Shead or Simon which is much more likely than being Sherman.

True, but then again no one thought what "Sherman.... a shut down corner" would become when he was drafted or his first season. But he had the traits and was willing to learn. I think Flowers has as much chance to go that route if he follows a similar work ethic and learning curve.

At least be a strong #2 to Griffin's #1 corner. That would be great as well!
    Last edited by kf3339 on Sat May 19, 2018 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
    kf3339
    NET Veteran

Thu May 17, 2018 10:58 pm
  • edogg23 wrote:Honestly, with the NFL's safety emphasis, the LOB is pretty much dead no matter what players are on your team if delivering the boom gets you a penalty, fine, and a possible suspension. It was the LOB because we had the most physical safety in the league with Kam and and the most physical corner in the league with Brandon Browner. When you faced the Seahawks as a wide receiver you knew you were literally going to get beat up out there. That style of play isn't even allowed anymore.

Simply not true.
    www.hawk-talk.com

original poster
    * NET Moderator *

Fri May 18, 2018 1:24 pm
  • original poster wrote:
    edogg23 wrote:Honestly, with the NFL's safety emphasis, the LOB is pretty much dead no matter what players are on your team if delivering the boom gets you a penalty, fine, and a possible suspension. It was the LOB because we had the most physical safety in the league with Kam and and the most physical corner in the league with Brandon Browner. When you faced the Seahawks as a wide receiver you knew you were literally going to get beat up out there. That style of play isn't even allowed anymore.

Simply not true.

Agreed, you can still play how they played, we were just really good at it and managed to mask/hide/ things that other CB's and Safety's didn't do as well. You need a special person to be able to pick a receiver up and body slam him in the 5 yard zone also. Browner could do that and when the receiver or ball carrier was with the ball and those receivers now become eligible blockers they had to be aware of him and Kam, Sherman and Earl because they would unload on them. ALL WITHIN THE RULES, just very few made the effort to follow thru with it. By the end of the game those guys felt they were in a MMA fight.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Sat May 19, 2018 7:44 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    ivotuk wrote:

Kam will probably never play football again, Maxwell's a band aid until we can draft or develop another young stud CB, and Earl's on his way to leaving/being traded or consecutive years of being franchised and mired in a contract holdout.

It's over. To continue to call our defensive backfield the LOB is insulting and diminishing what Sherman, Kam and Earl accomplished at the height of their careers.

As much as I hate to say it, I have to agree with you. We're not going to just plug Flowers in there and get the LOB back. Flowers may be a really good DB and with some more draft additions we might get something like the LOB 2.0. I would hope, in the interest of honoring the memory of what Kam, Browner, ET and Sherman did in Seattle, we name it something else.
    SeaWolv
    NET Starter

It is currently Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:29 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information