Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Does The LOB Name Die With The Original LOB?

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13

Can the name "LOB" live on in new incarnations?

Yes it can live on. "LOB V2" or the like. It can keep living on with new players.
20
18%
No. LOB will always and forever be just Kam, Sherm, Earl...
77
68%
I am ambivalent. Either way is fine with me.
16
14%
 
Total votes : 113

  • Weird random thought of the day.
    Image

    "Shaquem Griffin tells ESPN after he got drafted by Seattle; 'I can't breathe.' That's the only time you'll hear him say he can't do something." - Dan Wetzel via Twitter.
    User avatar
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]
     
    Posts: 12644
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:58 am
    Location: Just 4 miles from Richard Sherman!


  • With Earl and Kam I could still see it but not without Kam.
    User avatar
    naholmes
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 316
    Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:02 pm


  • I think the original needed all three mentioned. Brandon Browner helped to lay the BOOM, and giver the name, but the Defense continue to perform at a fairly high level after his departure, so I didn't mind the name continuing.

    Now? With Sherm gone? Kam maybe gone, too? Earl remaining alone? Those three adopted that name and used it for themselves, even adding the hand-figure to accompany it, and expanding it to their brotherhood.

    No, I won't be using it again with reference to our current or future defense.
    ____________
    BLUE and GREEN...
    User avatar
    Ad Hawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1855
    Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:25 am


  • Of course.

    The LOB had 3 borderline HOF players on it.

    Earl Thomas, pretty close to HOF, certainly the equal to most of the safeties in there.

    Kam Chancellor, borderline but only because of longevity - at his peak he was one of the best to play the position.

    Richard Sherman, clear HOF player.

    Brandon Browner, not a HOF player but one of THE most physical cornerbacks EVER to play the game. Had Carroll not released him, I think he would have been great here. He might not have worked out in New Orleans but in our system he was money.

    Then we had Maxwell as the additional DB. Starter caliber.

    It was one of the best secondaries in NFL history, and you don't replace 3 HOF quality players and expect to get to use the same nickname. We might get some good and even very good players out of the guys we have in the wings, but it is ridiculous to compare them to the LOB. The only area they share is that they wear the same color uniforms.

    And it would never be fair to expect them to be even close to the players they are replacing. All you do when you try to use LOB for the new batch is water down the legacy. The math says they won't come close because it is crazy rare to get 3 HOF quality players on the same defense much less 3 of the 4 starters in the secondary.
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3271
    Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:48 pm


  • Wouldn't mind an LOB2 for a new group of players who deserved it.
    Beren
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 187
    Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:50 am


  • In my opinion, "Legion of Boom" is more than a specific list of players, it's about a mindset, attitude, physicality, philosophy, brotherhood, consistency and last but not least - level of skill the players bring to their positions, the secondary unit and defense as a whole. Creating a unit that strikes fear in the heart of the opponents and commands respect among their peers as well as fans everywhere. If our young players develop and play "Legion of Boom"-level of football and sustain that excellence game in and game out for years then they'd absolutely be worthy of the name, or maybe they develop a completely different name for themselves, if that ever happens.

    That's my take. I know some will find it egregious for the name to be used on anyone but the "original" Legion of Boom, and that's completely fair - part of me definitely shares that same sentiment. However, if we develop a secondary group that balls out like the "original" Legion of Boom did, I couldn't personally completely rule out it being unacceptable for the name to be used again. The reality is though, that it's extremely unlikely we see that again. Steel Curtain, Monsters of the Midway, Orange Crush, etc - these types of units rarely come along, and like TwistedHusky stated:
    TwistedHusky wrote:it is crazy rare to get 3 HOF quality players on the same defense much less 3 of the 4 starters in the secondary.


    Can it live on? Possibly, yes. Time will tell. I'm hopeful for it, but I am not counting on it.
    Bryce84
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 123
    Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:11 pm


  • LOB name was created and earned by / for certain players just like past historic defenses like Fearsome Foursome, Purple People Eaters....ect. The name stays with THAT group, and they earned it! Time to create a new identity and "name" for themselves. Boom was Kam and Browner....they are both gone "or close in Kams case".
    User avatar
    Seymour
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5315
    Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:41 pm


  • I just want them to be called a real good defense.
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    User avatar
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 9995
    Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:59 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


  • LOB is dead. It belonged to those players. I am sure the new breed will not want to be something different. Just hope its not called swiss cheese...
    Super Bowl XLVIII Champions 2014.02.02 Seahawks 43 Broncos 8
    User avatar
    Cyrus12
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5997
    Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:20 am
    Location: BC Canada


  • What if our defense this time round is better than the sherm Kam and browner version
    I'm endeared to them because of a superb owl but ill feel that same way about this group if they do the same
    I also won't miss em when they leave if they start to get full of themselves to
    What are you
    I'm a mog , half man , half dog
    I'm my own best friend
    User avatar
    hawxfreak
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 513
    Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:04 pm
    Location: The Burbs in Lacey


  • If the future secondaries prove to be the equal of the LOB, then I will feel that the LOB moniker belongs to Carrol's NFL secondary, regardless of which players are on it. It's unlikely, but I have to say that I feel pretty good about Griffin being Sherman 2.0, so, if Earl sticks around, and we find a Kam 2.0, we could have a continuation of the LOB.

    I think this is unlikely, so I voted no. LOB belongs to the players that had such an amazing stretch. Earl, Kam, Richard (with honorary mentions to contributors like Brandon, and Byron)
    Fire Tom Cable

    Still can't believe we let Alex Collins go
    User avatar
    bigskydoc
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2289
    Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:27 am
    Location: Kalispell, MT


  • I’d say it died the day they began to take the field as individuals instead of being the cohesive unit that helped spawn the nickname.
    User avatar
    brimsalabim
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4124
    Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:50 am


  • Sherm and his antics just got real old, so there is that.
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    User avatar
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 9995
    Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:59 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


  • LOB is done. It's time for the young guys to start something new of there own. I hope were able to keep Earl around for 3 more years to mentor these guys the way Lawyer Milloy did the LOB, or at least Earl.
    getnasty
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2866
    Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:22 pm


  • Seymour wrote:LOB name was created and earned by / for certain players just like past historic defenses like Fearsome Foursome, Purple People Eaters....ect. The name stays with THAT group, and they earned it! Time to create a new identity and "name" for themselves. Boom was Kam and Browner....they are both gone "or close in Kams case".

    This
    User avatar
    Thepeelsessions
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1415
    Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:05 am
    Location: Out here


  • It's a new backfield group that needs to make their own identity. The LOB earned their name and it will forever be remembered as Kam, ET and Sherman with founding member Browner. Let them earn their own nickname that's deserved.
    kf3339
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2663
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:52 pm


  • It's over in my mind. Like the other great Defenses with cool names of the past, once the players who identified with the name are gone, the name doesn't carry the weight anymore. It might hang on for as long as Kam and Earl are on the roster, but the Legion of Boom will always be Kam, Earl, and Sherman together.
    Image
    Radish and Cheinhill — Gone, but not forgotten
    User avatar
    HawkFan72
    * NET Moderator *
     
    Posts: 16349
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:50 am
    Location: Antioch, CA


  • Bryce84 wrote:In my opinion, "Legion of Boom" is more than a specific list of players, it's about a mindset, attitude, physicality, philosophy, brotherhood, consistency and last but not least - level of skill the players bring to their positions, the secondary unit and defense as a whole. Creating a unit that strikes fear in the heart of the opponents and commands respect among their peers as well as fans everywhere. If our young players develop and play "Legion of Boom"-level of football and sustain that excellence game in and game out for years then they'd absolutely be worthy of the name, or maybe they develop a completely different name for themselves, if that ever happens.

    That's my take. I know some will find it egregious for the name to be used on anyone but the "original" Legion of Boom, and that's completely fair - part of me definitely shares that same sentiment. However, if we develop a secondary group that balls out like the "original" Legion of Boom did, I couldn't personally completely rule out it being unacceptable for the name to be used again. The reality is though, that it's extremely unlikely we see that again. Steel Curtain, Monsters of the Midway, Orange Crush, etc - these types of units rarely come along, and like TwistedHusky stated:
    TwistedHusky wrote:it is crazy rare to get 3 HOF quality players on the same defense much less 3 of the 4 starters in the secondary.


    Can it live on? Possibly, yes. Time will tell. I'm hopeful for it, but I am not counting on it.


    I appreciate your take, but is the Steel Curtain still the Steel Curtain? Fearsome Foursome? Doomsday Defense? Purple People Eaters? Orange Crush?

    You get my point. The LOB was a nickname for those players, not a general name for our defensive backfield for the next decade with different players.

    IMO it not only doesn't work, but it's disrespectful to Earl, Kam and Sherm to continue using the LOB name. That's their name, they earned it, and everyone should respect that going forward.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 13344
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


  • Even if we tried to keep it going, years from now people will still only talk about THE Legion of Boom as the original cast. Let's not try to force it. Let the LoB die and ascend to football mythology.
    User avatar
    WindCityHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2502
    Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:51 pm


  • People can call them the Rainbow Brite Bombers for all I care. It's always been Pete's defense to me and twenty years down the road we'll look back on his tenure as a single era on defense, much like we look at the Knox years or the Holmgren years. Some years the personnel is a bit better than others, but what really differentiates them to me is the overall approach.
    User avatar
    AgentDib
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3501
    Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:08 pm
    Location: Seattle


  • TwistedHusky wrote:Of course.

    The LOB had 3 borderline HOF players on it.

    Earl Thomas, pretty close to HOF, certainly the equal to most of the safeties in there.

    Kam Chancellor, borderline but only because of longevity - at his peak he was one of the best to play the position.

    Richard Sherman, clear HOF player.

    Brandon Browner, not a HOF player but one of THE most physical cornerbacks EVER to play the game. Had Carroll not released him, I think he would have been great here. He might not have worked out in New Orleans but in our system he was money.

    Then we had Maxwell as the additional DB. Starter caliber.

    It was one of the best secondaries in NFL history, and you don't replace 3 HOF quality players and expect to get to use the same nickname. We might get some good and even very good players out of the guys we have in the wings, but it is ridiculous to compare them to the LOB. The only area they share is that they wear the same color uniforms.

    And it would never be fair to expect them to be even close to the players they are replacing. All you do when you try to use LOB for the new batch is water down the legacy. The math says they won't come close because it is crazy rare to get 3 HOF quality players on the same defense much less 3 of the 4 starters in the secondary.


    Don't think Sherm, Kam or Earl are borderline, they are all first ballot HOF's.
    Image
    Russell Wilson isn't the problem, the coaching staff IS.
    User avatar
    NFSeahawks628
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4279
    Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:33 pm
    Location: Born: Tacoma, WA Current Location: Tally, Seminole Country (Road Hawk)


  • I believe they are HOF quality.

    But I was trying to concede the possibility that some did not. Longevity being the issue.

    I personally think the longevity issue is crap but some demand it.

    Then again, I would put Lynch in the Hall not because of bias but because he literally dominated defenses and almost carried a team to the SB.

    I don't think they are borderline, but even if you believe that 3 - HOF quality players out of 4 is not replaceable.

    The LOB was literally the best. That cannot just be 'next man up'ed
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3271
    Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:48 pm


  • If the new guys earn it, and bring it, and it fits, sure.

    Personally these days I like to refer to them as the Legion of Whom?
    User avatar
    BocciHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1058
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:12 pm


  • No other team could do the super bowl shuffle and not look like posers.

    Leave the LOB for the history books. A new identity must rise from the ashes and pull the sword from the stone to take their place on Olympus. Tried to Mic more m3taphors but lost.

    Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk
    User avatar
    NOLAHawk
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 214
    Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:55 pm


  • I don't really get it.. what is the argument for a group that only has 1/4 of the members still being called the same name? You can call it something else, but how can you justify calling them LOB? Legitimately curious
    User avatar
    therealjohncarlson
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3974
    Joined: Sun May 10, 2009 2:09 pm


  • With two of them, it'd remain. Not one. LoB is dead; it was great while it lasted.
    Image
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    User avatar
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *
     
    Posts: 29974
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:39 am
    Location: Phoenix, AZ


  • LOB’s legend should be solidified by killing the name. There are no purple people eaters or monsters of the midway anymore, they are the stuff of legends.
    User avatar
    TwilightError
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1019
    Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:28 am


  • There is only one Legion of Boom!

    A Legion that forced the NFL to change the rules!

    Image
    I doubt the league will ever again allow such a magnificent spectacle.
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *
     
    Posts: 7857
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:49 pm


  • Sgt. Largent wrote:I appreciate your take, but is the Steel Curtain still the Steel Curtain? Fearsome Foursome? Doomsday Defense? Purple People Eaters? Orange Crush?

    You get my point. The LOB was a nickname for those players, not a general name for our defensive backfield for the next decade with different players.

    IMO it not only doesn't work, but it's disrespectful to Earl, Kam and Sherm to continue using the LOB name. That's their name, they earned it, and everyone should respect that going forward.


    I do see your point. I believe the units that had those nicknames got to the point where we are now and couldn't sustain what the nickname represented, which is a tribute to how truly rare it is to form such a group in the first place. Do you think that if those teams or units were able to sustain that level of greatness (even with new/different players) beyond the years that we can look back and identify them as, they wouldn't be included? That's the situation we're in now, except we don't have the benefit of hindsight. I'm also sure if you asked members of those nicknamed groups (including our Legion of Boom) they would tell you it stood for more than the names on the back of the jerseys.

    If we were to jump say... 5, 10 or 15 years in the future and look back to see zero drop off in our secondary play that embodies everything the Legion of Boom represented, would you not think that every major contributing player that ever was a part of that unit is worthy of being considered part of the Legion of Boom? This is an extremely unlikely scenario, as we know how rare it is for these types of units to form in the first place, but should such a scenario happen, I wouldn't be against the name living on beyond the "originals", personally. I'm also not against them carving their own path and name if thats how it plays out. This also brings a point that bigskydoc mentioned earlier in the thread:
    bigskydoc wrote:If the future secondaries prove to be the equal of the LOB, then I will feel that the LOB moniker belongs to Carrol's NFL secondary, regardless of which players are on it.


    I guess I'm getting technical here, since it is unlikely that this is how it goes, but I can't say that I'm 100% against it due to that extremely small possibility.

    Edit: Also want to say that I'm not saying any of this to change anyone's mind, I respect everyone's feelings on the subject. Only sharing my perspective and potentially giving others an angle they might not have considered.
    Bryce84
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 123
    Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:11 pm


  • Bryce84 wrote:
    If we were to jump say... 5, 10 or 15 years in the future and look back to see zero drop off in our secondary play that embodies everything the Legion of Boom represented, would you not think that every major contributing player that ever was a part of that unit is worthy of being considered part of the Legion of Boom? This is an extremely unlikely scenario, as we know how rare it is for these types of units to form in the first place, but should such a scenario happen
    .


    But there's already been a drop off, and it's only been 1-2 years since the height of the LOB.

    But hypothetically if there's a new group of DB's that are so amazing that they're nickname worthy? I still say no LOB, give them their own nickname................as they would deserve.

    I'd even go as far as to say it's disrespecting the LOB and all the dominance that they accomplished by watering down that name with new less dominant players.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 13344
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


  • Bryce84 wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:I appreciate your take, but is the Steel Curtain still the Steel Curtain? Fearsome Foursome? Doomsday Defense? Purple People Eaters? Orange Crush?

    You get my point. The LOB was a nickname for those players, not a general name for our defensive backfield for the next decade with different players.

    IMO it not only doesn't work, but it's disrespectful to Earl, Kam and Sherm to continue using the LOB name. That's their name, they earned it, and everyone should respect that going forward.


    I do see your point. I believe the units that had those nicknames got to the point where we are now and couldn't sustain what the nickname represented, which is a tribute to how truly rare it is to form such a group in the first place. Do you think that if those teams or units were able to sustain that level of greatness (even with new/different players) beyond the years that we can look back and identify them as, they wouldn't be included? That's the situation we're in now, except we don't have the benefit of hindsight. I'm also sure if you asked members of those nicknamed groups (including our Legion of Boom) they would tell you it stood for more than the names on the back of the jerseys.

    If we were to jump say... 5, 10 or 15 years in the future and look back to see zero drop off in our secondary play that embodies everything the Legion of Boom represented, would you not think that every major contributing player that ever was a part of that unit is worthy of being considered part of the Legion of Boom? This is an extremely unlikely scenario, as we know how rare it is for these types of units to form in the first place, but should such a scenario happen, I wouldn't be against the name living on beyond the "originals", personally. I'm also not against them carving their own path and name if thats how it plays out. This also brings a point that bigskydoc mentioned earlier in the thread:
    bigskydoc wrote:If the future secondaries prove to be the equal of the LOB, then I will feel that the LOB moniker belongs to Carrol's NFL secondary, regardless of which players are on it.


    I guess I'm getting technical here, since it is unlikely that this is how it goes, but I can't say that I'm 100% against it due to that extremely small possibility.

    Edit: Also want to say that I'm not saying any of this to change anyone's mind, I respect everyone's feelings on the subject. Only sharing my perspective and potentially giving others an angle they might not have considered.


    The game / spectacle changes over time with the league's constant tinkering with the rules. The Legion of Boom forced rule changes. The Fearsome Foursome, Purple People Eaters ect. ect. forced rule changes as well. The head slap and hands to the face were outlawed and that era also came to an end. The NFL spectacle is not static. It is dynamic in that it is constantly changing and evolving along with other sports. This generation of players and teams is playing under different circumstances than generations past. Rule changes are a powerful nemesis to sustainability. IMHO
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *
     
    Posts: 7857
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:49 pm


  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Bryce84 wrote:
    If we were to jump say... 5, 10 or 15 years in the future and look back to see zero drop off in our secondary play that embodies everything the Legion of Boom represented, would you not think that every major contributing player that ever was a part of that unit is worthy of being considered part of the Legion of Boom? This is an extremely unlikely scenario, as we know how rare it is for these types of units to form in the first place, but should such a scenario happen
    .


    But there's already been a drop off, and it's only been 1-2 years since the height of the LOB.

    But hypothetically if there's a new group of DB's that are so amazing that they're nickname worthy? I still say no LOB, give them their own nickname................as they would deserve.

    I'd even go as far as to say it's disrespecting the LOB and all the dominance that they accomplished by watering down that name with new less dominant players.


    It is disrespecting the LOB!!

    The LOB shut down the all time offense record setting 2013 Denver Bronco's and held them to 8 points in Super Bowl 48. No other Seattle secondary is going to do that.....EVER!!

    Time to let it go and keep them legendary and not watered down! This is not even a legit question!

    Legion of Brothers??? FINE. Just not Legion of Boom.
    User avatar
    Seymour
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5315
    Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:41 pm


  • Seymour wrote:
    It is disrespecting the LOB!!

    The LOB shut down the all time offense record setting 2013 Denver Bronco's and held them to 8 points in Super Bowl 48. No other Seattle secondary is going to do that.....EVER!!

    Time to let it go and keep them legendary and not watered down! This is not even a legit question!

    Legion of Brothers??? FINE. Just not Legion of Boom.


    Exactly.

    What do you think would happen in Pittsburgh if their fans were like "Hey this D-line is really good, let's call them the Steel Curtain!!"

    Those fans would be run out of town.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 13344
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


  • The young guns will have to earn that nickname. Until it happens, they're the Legion of Whom.
    "...and now they got a bicycle!"
    User avatar
    Sac
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 12804
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:51 pm
    Location: With your sister


  • I died with the original members, including Browner. I think some folks may have forgotten what an animal he truly was. The name belonged to four people, and four people only. I am going to be pissed if the announcer during the introductions calls them that, cause if it just Earl, it isn’t the LOB.
    It's about damn time #45 is in the HOF
    tacomahawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 723
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:36 am
    Location: T-town


  • There is only and 1 and there will always be only 1

    Browner - Kam - Earl - Sherm

    There will films about this and those 4 will be the ones that will be remembered. No one else.
    ApnaHawk
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 289
    Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:24 pm


  • The LOB was a time, a place, and most importantly a specific group of players. The players are almost all gone and it's time to move on. We can only hope to replicate it.
    User avatar
    Vaclav44
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 196
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:53 pm
    Location: Ellensburg


  • In it's hay-day the LOB was a thing of beauty...It's kind of pathetic to keep on keeping on with the notion that you can just transpose one hammer with another, and keep the same moniker.
    My guitar is> LIKE < a MARTIN D-28, but it's actually a YAMAHA, designed to look and play LIKE a MARTIN D-28.....My motorcycle is LIKE a HARLEY DAVIDSON, only it's a YAMAHA that is supposed to MIMIC a HARLEY.. See where this is going? :lol:
    NOW, Try telling the Gronkmeister that Lil' EARL-Of Thomas can't lay the wood like his larger brethren LOB'rs :rumble:
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 6508
    Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:48 pm


  • I recognize some disconnects in this discussion. I see several comments how there will never be another group of players on this team in the secondary to the caliber of the "original" Legion of Boom, and that to suggest that there ever could be (especially this soon) is complete sacrilege. I understand its extremely unlikely, probably damn near impossible, but I still pose the question: what if there is? What if we happen to go from elite secondary to elite secondary with a mostly different set of players? We don't know yet. We don't have the benefit of hindsight. Again, it's insanely rare to happen and I'm not counting on it, but I cannot 100% rule it out either.

    I also think everyone has different ideas of the "era" of the Legion of Boom. For me, its been as long as three of the four pioneers of the Legion have been starting together (2011) until present day. My reasoning for seeing it this way is because the players never spoke about how being a part of the Legion of Boom was exclusive to the 4 "founding members", and were very welcome to accept anyone that could step in and play to the Legion of Boom standard - suggesting to me its much more about the Defensive Back room than names on jerseys. Others seem to have a different idea of a more narrow window like the Super Bowl years. I don't think anyone's idea of this is wrong, but its interesting to notice.

    In this example:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:What do you think would happen in Pittsburgh if their fans were like "Hey this D-line is really good, let's call them the Steel Curtain!!"

    We are talking about completely different circumstances in my opinion, as I've given my idea of the era of the Legion of Boom in my previous paragraph. The situation you're talking about is reviving a nickname from the mid-70s to a present day team. As opposed to the (unlikely) scenario of the Seahawks secondary in 2018 and beyond performing at the level we've seen for the majority of the time since 2011. I don't see similarities in these scenarios, personally. As one era is still potentially continuing (imo) and the other would be revived over 50 years later.

    I guess I'm too much of a thinker of finding a possible scenario where I COULD see myself finding it acceptable to continue the Legion of Boom name, based on what I personally feel embodies the nickname and what it stands for. This perspective seems to be in the minority, and I hope I don't come across as offensive or tarnishing what others cherish when it comes to the "Legion of Boom", that's no where near my intent. I suppose I live in a fairy tale world where the name stands for way more than names on the back of jerseys :) Time will tell :) Thanks for the discussion everyone! Interesting to see the different perspectives.
    Bryce84
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 123
    Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:11 pm


  • Bryce84 wrote:I recognize some disconnects in this discussion. I see several comments how there will never be another group of players on this team in the secondary to the caliber of the "original" Legion of Boom, and that to suggest that there ever could be (especially this soon) is complete sacrilege. I understand its extremely unlikely, probably damn near impossible, but I still pose the question: what if there is? What if we happen to go from elite secondary to elite secondary with a mostly different set of players? We don't know yet. We don't have the benefit of hindsight. Again, it's insanely rare to happen and I'm not counting on it, but I cannot 100% rule it out either.

    I also think everyone has different ideas of the "era" of the Legion of Boom. For me, its been as long as three of the four pioneers of the Legion have been starting together (2011) until present day. My reasoning for seeing it this way is because the players never spoke about how being a part of the Legion of Boom was exclusive to the 4 "founding members", and were very welcome to accept anyone that could step in and play to the Legion of Boom standard - suggesting to me its much more about the Defensive Back room than names on jerseys. Others seem to have a different idea of a more narrow window like the Super Bowl years. I don't think anyone's idea of this is wrong, but its interesting to notice.

    In this example:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:What do you think would happen in Pittsburgh if their fans were like "Hey this D-line is really good, let's call them the Steel Curtain!!"

    We are talking about completely different circumstances in my opinion, as I've given my idea of the era of the Legion of Boom in my previous paragraph. The situation you're talking about is reviving a nickname from the mid-70s to a present day team. As opposed to the (unlikely) scenario of the Seahawks secondary in 2018 and beyond performing at the level we've seen for the majority of the time since 2011. I don't see similarities in these scenarios, personally. As one era is still potentially continuing (imo) and the other would be revived over 50 years later.

    I guess I'm too much of a thinker of finding a possible scenario where I COULD see myself finding it acceptable to continue the Legion of Boom name, based on what I personally feel embodies the nickname and what it stands for. This perspective seems to be in the minority, and I hope I don't come across as offensive or tarnishing what others cherish when it comes to the "Legion of Boom", that's no where near my intent. I suppose I live in a fairy tale world where the name stands for way more than names on the back of jerseys :) Time will tell :) Thanks for the discussion everyone! Interesting to see the different perspectives.


    There is a reason you will not have a LOB nick name, those Old Fogey era's as it seems you want them to be hoped the next generation of player could continue as well, then a decade past, then another and there was hope of revival. Now it is decades later and we still don't have a reaccurance of those names. Why because they went from impact to legendary over that time. To call another group the Steel Curtain or the Legion of Boom is disrespecting those players, that era and those teams.

    The next group will have to EARN a name not get one passed down.
    Image

    To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    User avatar
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 24734
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


  • I could see a scenario where one D-back at a time from the original group, perhaps every couple of years, left the roster of DBs in Seattle, and after 6 or 7 years, the starters were completely different, yet with no drop-off in play, statistics, or win/loss % based on the D as a whole. If that were the case, I could see continuing the nickname as long as the performance remained the same. In such a case, it might almost be argued that the Legion of Boom was whoever Pete and the D-Coord. rolled out there.

    But as has already been stated, we have seen a dropoff, even among the fantastic four as injuries piled up, and age and hits took their inevitable toll. And with the more rapid turnover of our D-backfield with Sherm departing and now Kam probably soon to go, with Earl making comments about not being here, there's a different attitude, and the field looks different. The Legion ended their time of boom. The brotherhood has disbanded.

    Sad as it is, it's time to look for new stars and hope for a group worthy of a new nickname because of the ferocious, fast, tactically sound, and passionate play they bring on the field. Here's to hoping the current players can rise to the level the coaches point them towards.
    ____________
    BLUE and GREEN...
    User avatar
    Ad Hawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1855
    Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:25 am




It is currently Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:27 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]




Information