Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Schottenheimer a breath of fresh air (Greg Bell)

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
  • Yes. I remember writing a critique of Bevel a while ago that went something like this.

An offensive game plan starts with a series of scripted plays to identify a weakness in the opposing defense. When you find a weakness, you pick at it again, and again, and again, and again until the defense has to adjust to stop the bleeding. When they adjust, it will open a different weakness, and it is usually a weakness that is even bigger than the first.

Bevel seemed to use the opening series to identify a weakness in the opposing defense. He would then put that weakness in his back pocket for later use, "when he really needed it." Most of the time, when he got to the point that he really needed it, and pulled it out of his back pocket, it was too late.
    Fire Tom Cable

Still can't believe we let Alex Collins go
    bigskydoc
    NET Veteran

• bigskydoc wrote:Yes. I remember writing a critique of Bevel a while ago that went something like this.

An offensive game plan starts with a series of scripted plays to identify a weakness in the opposing defense. When you find a weakness, you pick at it again, and again, and again, and again until the defense has to adjust to stop the bleeding. When they adjust, it will open a different weakness, and it is usually a weakness that is even bigger than the first.

Bevel seemed to use the opening series to identify a weakness in the opposing defense. He would then put that weakness in his back pocket for later use, "when he really needed it." Most of the time, when he got to the point that he really needed it, and pulled it out of his back pocket, it was too late.

Well Bevells scripted plays went from first snap to last play of the second quarter is another problem.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• chris98251 wrote:
    bigskydoc wrote:Yes. I remember writing a critique of Bevel a while ago that went something like this.

Well Bevells scripted plays went from first snap to last play of the second quarter is another problem.

About right. 15 plays or (5) 3 and outs.... :pukeface:
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

• bigskydoc wrote:Roland beat me to it. It wasn't the playbook, it was how it was used.

Hopefully this "other 30%" consists of some short route, quick blitz beater, and hot route/ dump off concepts.

Literally everything in the offense, from the running game to the long developing routes, suffered from opposing defenses never having to worry about these types of attacks. Except for that one, brief, record setting period of time, in 2015, where Bevel pulled his head out of Cable's :141847_bnono: and called a balanced, rapid-fire attack

We just drafted a running back who's got Marshall Faulk level receiving ability, so talk about dump off passes, that right there will be a MAJOR asset.

Of course some fans just want to whine about him not being a world class blocker right out of the gate. :P
    The_Z_Man
    NET Veteran

• The_Z_Man wrote:
    bigskydoc wrote:Roland beat me to it. It wasn't the playbook, it was how it was used.

Hopefully this "other 30%" consists of some short route, quick blitz beater, and hot route/ dump off concepts.

Literally everything in the offense, from the running game to the long developing routes, suffered from opposing defenses never having to worry about these types of attacks. Except for that one, brief, record setting period of time, in 2015, where Bevel pulled his head out of Cable's :141847_bnono: and called a balanced, rapid-fire attack

We just drafted a running back who's got Marshall Faulk level receiving ability, so talk about dump off passes, that right there will be a MAJOR asset.

Of course some fans just want to whine about him not being a world class blocker right out of the gate. :P

I mean, pass blocking is SUPER important on third down for RBs. Warren Sharp put out some stats showing that we were deadly efficient throwing to RBs not on third down, but first and second, yet we did it around 19 times or some crazy small number last season.

I'd like to see that added to the game plan. For whatever reason it wasn't emphasised enough with Bev and Cable.
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran

• HawkNuts wrote:
    adeltaY wrote:
    HawkNuts wrote:The middle of our offensive line goes 6’5” 6’6” 6’5”

How exactly are those quick passes going to go?

Riiiiight. So New Orleans must struggle with quick passes as well?

Weeeelll. NO uses there rb’s to bail out Drew Brees. Also other than height DB and RW are not that similar as QB’s.

Also NO has Sean Payton. So there’s that.

Agree with all your points. Doesn't address your original post which implied we can't do quick passes because our interior line is too tall?
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran

• Bevell could not get a screen play set up that didn't have Bubble attached to it.

Having a line that can act like they are pass blocking and then drop the block and go form a wall for our running back releasing into the flat for a dump off didn't happen, when tried it was a mess.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

In 180 games, Walter Jones was called for 9 holding penalties in the course of 5,703 pass plays.
    First Round Inductee To Hall Of Fame 2014
    ESPN #1 Rated Seahawks Player of All Time
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

• brimsalabim wrote:
    Seafan wrote:I see Shotty as someone who is willing to tell Pete the truth instead of being a yes man like Bevell.

I believe you are ignoring a major point from the article. The previous system functioned as Pete wanted to. Pete wanted yes men. It’s Pete that must change here.

Yup, it was Pete who created the two-headed CaBevell monster.
    Little did he realize what he was modeling this creation after.

2018 Adopt-A-Rookie: Rashaad Penny
    2018 BounceBack Bet: C.J. Prosise
    olyfan63
    NET Veteran

• The phrase I hope will describe the new offensive system is "hit them in the mouth."
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

• hawknation2018 wrote:The phrase I hope will describe the new offensive system is "hit them in the mouth."

This X1000.

Let's get that nasty reputation back. I don't care what anyone says, even professional football players will be scared to play the bullies.
    www.hawk-talk.com

Richard Sherman wrote:People look forward to writing us off. Our demise was greatly overstated.
    original poster
    * NET Moderator *

• Another thing I would LOVE to see this team do more of is the screen passes. So many teams make that a huge part of their offense. Change it up a little, let a RB get out there in space and do his thing.
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

• SoulfishHawk wrote:Another thing I would LOVE to see this team do more of is the screen passes. So many teams make that a huge part of their offense. Change it up a little, let a RB get out there in space and do his thing.

Screen passes to the RB is space, YES, please and often.

Bubble screens to WR in traffic, NEVER again!
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Reflecting on the reality of limited practice time as mandated by the CBA ......

The explanation I recall, from last year, was that it takes less practice time to develop bubble screens. Screen plays by linemen take a lot more time to perfect and require a reasonable continuity of personnel. The CBA (collective bargaining agreement) places strict limits on practice time. So if time is going to be carved out to practice screen plays along the lines of what .... say the Packers like to do, something else has to give. Given that Pete Carroll has set aside significant practice time for Russell Wilson directed improvisation and scramble drills, that could potentially be a feature of the offense that might suffer a bit while creating room for linemen to practice screens.

Just an observation. Food for thought and speculation while we await our first glimpse of Schottenheimer's impact on the 2018 offense.
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

• There is truth to screen passes taking time to perfect. I heard Holmgren on that 2 years ago saying the exact same thing. Teams have to commit more time than many are willing to give and that is why lazy coaches like Bevell never used it much. Even though when he did it often poped for good yardage. :roll:
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

• original poster wrote:
    hawknation2018 wrote:The phrase I hope will describe the new offensive system is "hit them in the mouth."

This X1000.

Let's get that nasty reputation back. I don't care what anyone says, even professional football players will be scared to play the bullies.

May work with some teams but we aint hittin' that Rams Dline in the mouth....sorry.

Russell can piss them off if he has some time though! :2thumbs:
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

• Jville wrote:Reflecting on the reality of limited practice time as mandated by the CBA ......

The explanation I recall, from last year, was that it takes less practice time to develop bubble screens. Screen plays by linemen take a lot more time to perfect and require a reasonable continuity of personnel. The CBA (collective bargaining agreement) places strict limits on practice time. So if time is going to be carved out to practice screen plays along the lines of what .... say the Packers like to do, something else has to give. Given that Pete Carroll has set aside significant practice time for Russell Wilson directed improvisation and scramble drills, that could potentially be a feature of the offense that might suffer a bit while creating room for linemen to practice screens.

Just an observation. Food for thought and speculation while we await our first glimpse of Schottenheimer's impact on the 2018 offense.

Well having OTA's, and a whole summer is plenty of time to sync up screen plays, colleges do it, high school teams do it, you have to practice them, continuity also matter so timing works with your lineman. There is the big part of the issue, a guy playing LT one year and Guard the next and RT the next there is no continuity, timing is important, and you need to be able to time your release and all.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• Chris Cluff
    ‏@CHawk_Talk

#Seahawks WR Tyler Lockett says new coaches did a good job "giving us the playbook in a specific order" that helped players understand the system quickly. "I think we were farther along than we probably thought we would be in learning the new playbook.”

8:38 PM - 21 May 2018
    In 180 games, Walter Jones was called for 9 holding penalties in the course of 5,703 pass plays.
    First Round Inductee To Hall Of Fame 2014
    ESPN #1 Rated Seahawks Player of All Time
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

• “It’s definitely some added stuff for sure, there’s definitely more on the plate,” Wilson said. “We’ve always had a lot of information, but it’s even more. But that’s OK. I’m ready for more and more and just continue to see how far we can take it. I think we’re going to have a great offense, I really do.”

“Schotty is a really impressive coach,” Carroll said. “He’s very hands-on, he’s very active, he’s in total command whether it’s installing the offense or he’s coaching the quarterback. He is very active, very energetic, so there is no space between something happening and Russell getting critiqued, and Russell has really responded to it. I think he enjoys the challenge of it. Schotty is challenging him to keep moving and keep growing as a quarterback. You look at all the years that he’s been playing, but still there’s always been more growth. There’s always more to learn and understand, and Schotty has really kind of opened the door to that for Russell. Hopefully we’re going to see the best version that he can put out there this time around because he’s been challenged even more than ever. It’s an exciting relationship that we’re watching unfold.”

https://www.seahawks.com/news/transitio ... r-seahawks

"Schotty" is a horrible nickname, though. Why does our OC need a cutesy nickname? Can't you just call him Brian? JMO.
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

• hawknation2018 wrote:
    “It’s definitely some added stuff for sure, there’s definitely more on the plate,” Wilson said. “We’ve always had a lot of information, but it’s even more. But that’s OK. I’m ready for more and more and just continue to see how far we can take it. I think we’re going to have a great offense, I really do.”

“Schotty is a really impressive coach,” Carroll said. “He’s very hands-on, he’s very active, he’s in total command whether it’s installing the offense or he’s coaching the quarterback. He is very active, very energetic, so there is no space between something happening and Russell getting critiqued, and Russell has really responded to it. I think he enjoys the challenge of it. Schotty is challenging him to keep moving and keep growing as a quarterback. You look at all the years that he’s been playing, but still there’s always been more growth. There’s always more to learn and understand, and Schotty has really kind of opened the door to that for Russell. Hopefully we’re going to see the best version that he can put out there this time around because he’s been challenged even more than ever. It’s an exciting relationship that we’re watching unfold.”

"Schotty" is a horrible nickname, though. Can't you just call him Brian? JMO.

I think it's a great Nickname for an OC. Shotty is a common term for shotgun.
    2018 Adopt a Rookie: Rashaad Penny

Sox-n-Hawks
    NET Veteran

• Sox-n-Hawks wrote:
    hawknation2018 wrote:
    “It’s definitely some added stuff for sure, there’s definitely more on the plate,” Wilson said. “We’ve always had a lot of information, but it’s even more. But that’s OK. I’m ready for more and more and just continue to see how far we can take it. I think we’re going to have a great offense, I really do.”

Never heard of that before. Who calls their shotgun Shotty? LOL. I guess it beats "Bev," which sounded like a character from The Golden Girls.

Again, why does our OC need a cutesy nickname?
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

• hawknation2018 wrote:
    Sox-n-Hawks wrote:
    hawknation2018 wrote:

Never heard of that before. Who calls their shotgun Shotty? LOL. I guess it beats "Bev," which sounded like a character from The Golden Girls.

Again, why does our OC need a cutesy nickname?

Good point. I always called all of my coaches the same thing. Coach.
    2018 Adopt a Rookie: Rashaad Penny

Sox-n-Hawks
    NET Veteran

• Russell called him Schotty in his press conference also, nobody wants to get beat up here for misspelling or taking the time to spell out Brian Schottenheimer.

Jesus the spelling police here alone for misspelling Hasselbeck still go off when he is mentioned, and we still have people that spell Penny like JC Penney's.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• Whut? Speling polise? Say it ain't sow!
    GeekHawk
    US Navy ET Nuc

• The younger players on the team are probably laughing their asses off whenever someone calls him that, because it translates to "fine ass young woman" in urban slang...
    The_Z_Man
    NET Veteran

• I guess it's a good thing his last name isn't Milfred then isn't it...………………. :P

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Previous

It is currently Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:26 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information