Schottenheimer a breath of fresh air (Greg Bell)

Jville

Reaction score
schott22.jpg

Though early, Schottenheimer a breath of fresh air for Seahawks' offense >>> [urltargetblank]http://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/nfl/seattle-seahawks/article210554109.html[/urltargetblank]

... by Carroll's unique design. Bevell was the offensive coordinator in title, but in practice he shared game-planning and even some play calling with offensive line coach Tom Cable, who doubled as the run-game coordinator. Smith was the third assistant that coached and planned with Wilson and the quarterbacks.

Now, Schottenheimer is the man.

Read more here: http://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/nf ... rylink=cpy

Later in Saturday's practice Schottenheimer gave Troy Williams, one of 46 players here this weekend on a tryout basis, another of Seattle's lengthy play calls. The former University of Washington and Utah quarterback walked in the huddle and appeared to be having problems getting all the words of the call out correctly. Schottenheimer stepped into the huddle, stood shoulder to shoulder with Williams, and helped him with the verbiage.

Read more here: [urltargetblank]http://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/nfl/seattle-seahawks/article210554109.html#storylink=cpy[/urltargetblank]

Lets hope they are all studying the playbook and it's verbiage.

mistaowen

Reaction score
Excellent read. Really like the fact he's so detail oriented and calls people on their stuff, something Pete specifically mentioned prior to him being hired.

Highlights the point about having so many different cooks in the kitchen past few years on offense too. Makes sense why it felt like there were multiple game plans every week that seemingly changed drive to drive with no rhythm.

kidhawk

Reaction score
I always thought it was strange to split up the Coordinator duties like we were doing in the past. Hopefully having just a single guy at the top will help make it become more cohesive.

I really don't worry too much about walk-on guys getting the verbiage right away in a rookie camp like this, but I'd expect all the signed guys to have the playbook and the verbiage down by the time training camp rolls around in August.

Seymour

Reaction score
I'm so so very glad that Pete did more than swap coordinators. There was far more going on with Bevell than just Bevell, namingly #1 was Fable and his living off his reputation and name and getting pass after pass on performance of his group and responsibilities. :irishdrinkers:

toffee

Reaction score
Schottengaimer was known for his complex playbook with difficult names. This will be a challenging summer for our vets, leaving something that they have been going for years and migrate to something potentially a lot more complex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

getnasty

Reaction score
Hard to get excited about Schotty with his track record but hopefully he's changed his ways.

Seafan

Reaction score
I see Shotty as someone who is willing to tell Pete the truth instead of being a yes man like Bevell.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
Seafan":1f5ply3y said:
I see Shotty as someone who is willing to tell Pete the truth instead of being a yes man like Bevell.

It will be interesting to see how this relationship develops this year.

Smellyman

Reaction score
January 10th, 2018 - Darrell Bevell fired.

On that day was when there was a breath of fresh air.

original poster

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2v073b28 said:
Seeing how our offense runs is the thing I'm looking forward to the most.

I'm right there with you, Roland!

It's going to be very interesting to watch.

I was far from negative about the Schottenheimer hire at the start of the year but equally not jumping up and down celebrating, either.

The optimist in me says this offense is going to thrive after a frustrating start.

Most would agree accountability is welcome here, Brian brings exactly that. I'd imagine Russ is going to absolutely thrive working for him.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Seafan":2nvh9q5g said:
I believe you are ignoring a major point from the article. The previous system functioned as Pete wanted to. Pete wanted yes men. It’s Pete that must change here.

original poster

Reaction score
toffee":3ns4uplr said:
Schottengaimer was known for his complex playbook with difficult names. This will be a challenging summer for our vets, leaving something that they have been going for years and migrate to something potentially a lot more complex.

Just to add on this...

Pete actually addressed this in the post rookie minicamp press conference.

He said approx 70% of the offense has been carried over with the remaining 30% is new.

Seems like, although Brian's offense is known for being complex, he's taking a slightly different approach this time around. Think he also addressed shortening play calls to make it easier for the guys to hear the call during games.

Seymour

Reaction score
toffee":1pv5y73b said:

Pete said he had to learn our playbook rather than the entire team learn his, and it was 70% the same (with minor tweaks) and 30% would be different per Shotty.

Edit...Woops....looks like OP beat me to it.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
It almost doesn't even matter how much our playbook changes, because the big problem wasn't the playbook; it was how and when it was used that was the huge issue.

original poster

Reaction score
Seymour":257lrneu said:
toffee":257lrneu said:

Pete said he had to learn our playbook rather than the entire team learn his, and it was 70% the same (with minor tweaks) and 30% would be different per Shotty.

Edit...Woops....looks like OP beat me to it.

Great minds...

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Roland beat me to it. It wasn't the playbook, it was how it was used.

Hopefully this "other 30%" consists of some short route, quick blitz beater, and hot route/ dump off concepts.

Literally everything in the offense, from the running game to the long developing routes, suffered from opposing defenses never having to worry about these types of attacks. Except for that one, brief, record setting period of time, in 2015, where Bevel pulled his head out of Cable's :141847_bnono: and called a balanced, rapid-fire attack

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2jzyr41a said:
It almost doesn't even matter how much our playbook changes, because the big problem wasn't the playbook; it was how and when it was used that was the huge issue.
Bingo! This guy gets it! ^ 8)

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
bigskydoc":3tn5y5i7 said:
Roland beat me to it. It wasn't the playbook, it was how it was used.

Hopefully this "other 30%" consists of some short route, quick blitz beater, and hot route/ dump off concepts.

Literally everything in the offense, from the running game to the long developing routes, suffered from opposing defenses never having to worry about these types of attacks. Except for that one, brief, record setting period of time, in 2015, where Bevel pulled his head out of Cable's :141847_bnono: and called a balanced, rapid-fire attack
Yep, quick short passes are the key to beating the Rams defense, and of course a good running attack.

Latest posts