Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Rashaad Penny for Offensive Rookie of the year?

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
  • Longshot, but what if... :stirthepot: :179417:

    The Seahawks have been extremely pass-heavy the past two seasons, but the offseason change to offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer and subsequent personnel moves suggest a move back to the run. Those moves included taking San Diego State's Penny in the first round of the draft. He led the nation in rushing yards last year (2,248) and has good size, terrific elusiveness and post-contact ability as well as good receiving chops. He's a candidate to push for well more than 250 touches as a rookie.


    https://247sports.com/nfl/seattle-seaha ... -118097274
    User avatar
    Mistashoesta
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1481
    Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:22 am


  • I wouldn't complain, especially if Wilson also gets OPY. Hey this is the season for dreaming, and Wilson finally getting OPY is certainly possible.
    Fire Tom Cable

    Still can't believe we let Alex Collins go
    User avatar
    bigskydoc
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2245
    Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:27 am
    Location: Kalispell, MT


  • I'm not convinced yet that he is better than Chris Carson. On the other hand, Carson is coming off an injury and Penny was a pretty significant investment. We'll see how the competition plays out.
    User avatar
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1477
    Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:04 pm


  • The reality is, we a have a potential
    OFFENSIVE rookie and a potential DEFENSIVE rookie on our team.

    GoHawks
    ITS A GREAT TIME TO BE A SEAHAWK FAN !
    User avatar
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *
     
    Posts: 16342
    Joined: Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:37 am
    Location: On the lake, Livingston Texas


  • pmedic920 wrote:The reality is, we a have a potential
    OFFENSIVE rookie and a potential DEFENSIVE rookie on our team.

    GoHawks


    Not even potential. Every one of them already is that. :idea:
    User avatar
    Seymour
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4770
    Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:41 pm


  • Seymour wrote:
    pmedic920 wrote:The reality is, we a have a potential
    OFFENSIVE rookie and a potential DEFENSIVE rookie on our team.

    GoHawks


    Not even potential. Every one of them already is that. :idea:


    Everybody knows what I mean/meant.

    How bout you contribute something of value to the conversation.
    ITS A GREAT TIME TO BE A SEAHAWK FAN !
    User avatar
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *
     
    Posts: 16342
    Joined: Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:37 am
    Location: On the lake, Livingston Texas


  • Hey, constant unbridled sarcastic negativity (or "realism" if that's your thing) IS valuable - there's a long and storied history of it around here.
    User avatar
    KiwiHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2041
    Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 3:22 pm
    Location: Auckland, New Zealand


  • KiwiHawk wrote:Hey, constant unbridled sarcastic negativity (or "realism" if that's your thing) IS valuable - there's a long and storied history of it around here.

    A lot of fluffers ;) consider anything that isn't positivity to be negativity. Realism IS a thing, and it's NOT negativity - too many people trying to hide negativity behind the guise of realism is not realism's fault; you leave him the hell alone. :)
    Image
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    User avatar
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *
     
    Posts: 29848
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:39 am
    Location: Phoenix, AZ


  • Yes he can be that if he stays healthy and you put a good O Line in front of him. Plus you have to commit to the run a lot. Which you may do. You can't just give Penny 10 carries a game. He needs 25, 30 or even 35 carries. The more carries the better. As you run him there will be some big, explosive plays in there. He kind of builds momentum the more carries he gets and can get better. Although he can be great very early in the game too. But the point is you need to give him his carries if you want the big explosive plays. You can't just give him 5 carries and say see he didn't have an explosive play that game. It's not a realistic sample size and it's not how he has his big gains. He needs a commitment number of carries.
    SanDiego49er
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 225
    Joined: Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:21 am


  • I still think it's going to be a 1-2 Combo Attack...Penny is the Lightning, and Carson is the Thunder. As long as the Offensive Line is Average, I see us returning to a Top 5 Rushing Team. A Heavy dose of Carson in the 3rd and 4th quarter is going to put away most Defenses....he's just a bruiser.

    BTW, Audio on Video is NSFW, so, you have been warned.

    Last edited by MagnificentSeven on Wed May 09, 2018 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    MagnificentSeven
    NET Bench Warmer
     
    Posts: 46
    Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:26 pm


  • He is going to bring something for us catching the ball.

    Just wait.

    It is going to be awesome.

    I am so excited to have a RB that can catch the ball in the flat and turn it into 15-20 yd gains.

    You can be a realist and see good things coming with him as an addition.
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2900
    Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:48 pm


  • TwistedHusky wrote:He is going to bring something for us catching the ball.

    Just wait.

    It is going to be awesome.

    I am so excited to have a RB that can catch the ball in the flat and turn it into 15-20 yd gains.

    You can be a realist and see good things coming with him as an addition.


    He can catch the ball so well that at one time as San Diego State they thought about putting him at WR. He is a natural hands catcher and he runs good routes too. They would line him up wide and put him the slot too and I've seen him make plays from both of those places. He would have much higher receiving numbers if he had a QB worth anything. The starting QB for the San Diego State Aztecs couldn't hit a bright red barn from 5 yards away. Christian Chapman (QB) is really bad. He cost them some games (the QB). It was mostly all Penny. But with a functional and accurate QB which Russell Wilson is I would expect his pass receiving #'s to go up. Yes he is great with run after the catch and will put up big numbers there. He is also hell to bring down in the open field deeper down the field because he is already past the line of scrimmage and has less guys to put moves on and beat. Plus he is bigger and stronger than the DB's and can run them over. He is very dangerous deep down the field for a variety of reasons.
    SanDiego49er
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 225
    Joined: Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:21 am


  • pmedic920 wrote:
    Seymour wrote:
    pmedic920 wrote:The reality is, we a have a potential
    OFFENSIVE rookie and a potential DEFENSIVE rookie on our team.

    GoHawks


    Not even potential. Every one of them already is that. :idea:


    Everybody knows what I mean/meant.

    How bout you contribute something of value to the conversation.


    OK but be careful what you ask for.

    If Penny is to have that kind of success here, he will need a lot of help from Solari and the oline. Why speculate with so many variables to see how they all work out still?
    User avatar
    Seymour
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4770
    Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:41 pm


  • If we draft we better have a player that has the potential to be a Defensive Rookie of the year or Offensive rookie of the year at skill positions. If we don't we might as well write off the seasons. They may not get the prize but at least be in the conversation, Schneider and Pete , Wilson, Lynch, Wagner, Sherman, Thomas all were in conversations at one time or another for awards but always get aced out by the East Coast Voting and mediots.
    Image

    To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    User avatar
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 23954
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


  • MagnificentSeven wrote:I still think it's going to be a 1-2 Combo Attack...Penny is the Lightning, and Carson is the Thunder. As long as the Offensive Line is Average, I see us returning to a Top 5 Rushing Team.


    Whoa, whoa....WHOA. Let's not get too crazy here.
    User avatar
    King Dog
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1601
    Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:13 pm
    Location: Phoenix, AZ


  • What is a hell of a lot more important than Rookie of the Year is "where are they now".

    I am sure not many Redskins fans as of lasy year care that RGIII beat out Wilson for the title. They probably do care that their 3 first-round draft picks are playing backup QB for another team while our 3rd-round pick is a franchise QB.

    A rookie season does not a career make.
    User avatar
    KiwiHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2041
    Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 3:22 pm
    Location: Auckland, New Zealand


  • I am so glad people are excited that we drafted a RB because of our abysmal running game last year and then the same people are super excited about he RBs ability to catch the football!!!

    So when running game stalls, qb is pressured we now have a guy to bail us out (let’s ignore that he is not a good pass blocker)

    Sounds like 1st round pick used wisely!!!

    Again not saying he won’t work out. Just slightly confused about the logic used to be excited about him
    mikeak
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 7112
    Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:24 pm
    Location: Anchorage, AK


  • i didnt realize Chris carson had so many highlights in like a 300 yard season. Wow. i mean its like what Curt warner or Alexander did in one game. Obviously he is a star 7th rounder.
    Michael Dickson, P, Texas: 2018 Adopt a Probowl Rookie
    User avatar
    Atradees
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3340
    Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:22 pm
    Location: South of Heaven


  • 'All rookies' are for offensive rookie of the year right now.
    User avatar
    Smellyman
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4399
    Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:58 pm
    Location: Taipei


  • Did someone really seriously ask why it is useful to have your RB also be a threat catching the ball?

    Yes, I am very happy we have an additional threat the QB can get the ball to, especially as a dump off if under pressure.
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2900
    Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:48 pm


  • mikeak wrote:I am so glad people are excited that we drafted a RB because of our abysmal running game last year and then the same people are super excited about he RBs ability to catch the football!!!

    So when running game stalls, qb is pressured we now have a guy to bail us out (let’s ignore that he is not a good pass blocker)

    Sounds like 1st round pick used wisely!!!

    Again not saying he won’t work out. Just slightly confused about the logic used to be excited about him


    Rashaad Penny is not bad at pass blocking. There was a lot of misinformation about him on the internet. They found him more valuable to be used out in the patterns on 3rd down. And you will too. He is speedy, runs good routes and has soft natural hands like a WR. Plus he gives you huge RAC. Use your Fullback to stay in and block or an extra TE. It would be the best use of Penny to have him out in the patterns making plays. That said he will block for you if need be. This blocking issue is exaggerated. I have seen him block. They just didn't use him a huge amount there. But it doesn't mean he can't do it. IMO it is a misuse of his talents though. If you want a blocker bring in a Fullback or an extra TE. He will do it once in a while. But to use a talent like Rashaad Penny as an every down blocker would just be such a waste and misuse of talent.

    I believe coach Carroll will know how to use him. He is a good coach and understands. When they do ask him to block they will teach him his assignments. He will do fine with it.
    SanDiego49er
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 225
    Joined: Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:21 am


  • SanDiego49er wrote:
    mikeak wrote:I am so glad people are excited that we drafted a RB because of our abysmal running game last year and then the same people are super excited about he RBs ability to catch the football!!!

    So when running game stalls, qb is pressured we now have a guy to bail us out (let’s ignore that he is not a good pass blocker)

    Sounds like 1st round pick used wisely!!!

    Again not saying he won’t work out. Just slightly confused about the logic used to be excited about him


    Rashaad Penny is not bad at pass blocking. There was a lot of misinformation about him on the internet. They found him more valuable to be used out in the patterns on 3rd down. And you will too. He is speedy, runs good routes and has soft natural hands like a WR. Plus he gives you huge RAC. Use your Fullback to stay in and block or an extra TE. It would be the best use of Penny to have him out in the patterns making plays. That said he will block for you if need be. This blocking issue is exaggerated. I have seen him block. They just didn't use him a huge amount there. But it doesn't mean he can't do it. IMO it is a misuse of his talents though. If you want a blocker bring in a Fullback or an extra TE. He will do it once in a while. But to use a talent like Rashaad Penny as an every down blocker would just be such a waste and misuse of talent.

    I believe coach Carroll will know how to use him. He is a good coach and understands. When they do ask him to block they will teach him his assignments. He will do fine with it.


    I respectfully disagree.

    Blocking absolutely is his weak spot and an area he needs to improve in.

    Running backs MUST be able to block in this league. At least if you want an every down back.

    I have no doubt that Penny can get up to speed with it during camp, though.
    www.hawk-talk.com

    Image

    Richard Sherman wrote:People look forward to writing us off. Our demise was greatly overstated.
    User avatar
    original poster
    * NET Moderator *
     
    Posts: 3140
    Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:55 am


  • original poster wrote:
    SanDiego49er wrote:
    mikeak wrote:I am so glad people are excited that we drafted a RB because of our abysmal running game last year and then the same people are super excited about he RBs ability to catch the football!!!

    So when running game stalls, qb is pressured we now have a guy to bail us out (let’s ignore that he is not a good pass blocker)

    Sounds like 1st round pick used wisely!!!

    Again not saying he won’t work out. Just slightly confused about the logic used to be excited about him


    Rashaad Penny is not bad at pass blocking. There was a lot of misinformation about him on the internet. They found him more valuable to be used out in the patterns on 3rd down. And you will too. He is speedy, runs good routes and has soft natural hands like a WR. Plus he gives you huge RAC. Use your Fullback to stay in and block or an extra TE. It would be the best use of Penny to have him out in the patterns making plays. That said he will block for you if need be. This blocking issue is exaggerated. I have seen him block. They just didn't use him a huge amount there. But it doesn't mean he can't do it. IMO it is a misuse of his talents though. If you want a blocker bring in a Fullback or an extra TE. He will do it once in a while. But to use a talent like Rashaad Penny as an every down blocker would just be such a waste and misuse of talent.

    I believe coach Carroll will know how to use him. He is a good coach and understands. When they do ask him to block they will teach him his assignments. He will do fine with it.


    I respectfully disagree.

    Blocking absolutely is his weak spot and an area he needs to improve in.

    Running backs MUST be able to block in this league. At least if you want an every down back.

    I have no doubt that Penny can get up to speed with it during camp, though.


    I wouldn't really call it a weak spot for him. He can do it. He just lacks familiarity with it. They did not ask him to do it much at San Diego State. Of course he will need to block sometimes. And yes they will get him up to speed on his blocking assignments working with him. A lot of it is just a mental thing and recognizing his blocking assignments. Because he didn't do it much. But that doesn't mean he can't if you teach him. He can athletically for sure IMO.

    I will say again yes I agree with you an NFL RB will block. He will and he will do fine with it when the staff tells him what his assignments are. But for the most part you would want to use him running and out in the patterns catching and on special teams as a return man. Because those are his strengths. It doesn't mean they can't get his blocking up to speed. I believe they will as he gets more familiar with it. Use him a lot that way in training camp and preseason. That way he will adjust to it. He didn't block as bad as is claimed on the internet BTW. He does OK with it. Sometimes it's a mental thing because of lack of familiarity. But that can become better with more repetition.
    SanDiego49er
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 225
    Joined: Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:21 am


  • King Dog wrote:
    MagnificentSeven wrote:I still think it's going to be a 1-2 Combo Attack...Penny is the Lightning, and Carson is the Thunder. As long as the Offensive Line is Average, I see us returning to a Top 5 Rushing Team.


    Whoa, whoa....WHOA. Let's not get too crazy here.


    Crazy is about all we do around here. Oh, and sometimes talk football. ;)
    Own The West
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 183
    Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:20 pm


  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    KiwiHawk wrote:Hey, constant unbridled sarcastic negativity (or "realism" if that's your thing) IS valuable - there's a long and storied history of it around here.

    A lot of fluffers ;) consider anything that isn't positivity to be negativity. Realism IS a thing, and it's NOT negativity - too many people trying to hide negativity behind the guise of realism is not realism's fault; you leave him the hell alone. :)

    No, we just realize that every little thing that is a negative, isn't the end of the world situation that you "realists" try to make it out to be. You come on here and bitch for endless amounts of time, and in as many unrelated threads that you can, about every little move that this team makes. You insult and assault the team, and any fan who disagrees with you. You take over every thread, and mentally drain anyone who wants to have optimism. Someday maybe you will figure out how to discuss the positives and negatives without being insulting jerks.

    And yeah, yeah..... I already know the response. Toughen up, blah blah blah. Has nothing to do with that. You know nothing about the thickness of my skin. I'm just tired of seeing the same crap year after year. Hey, let's bring up something that happened five years ago, for the hundred millionth time.
    User avatar
    Jimjones0384
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 760
    Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:43 am


  • SanDiego49er wrote:
    original poster wrote:
    SanDiego49er wrote:
    mikeak wrote:I am so glad people are excited that we drafted a RB because of our abysmal running game last year and then the same people are super excited about he RBs ability to catch the football!!!

    So when running game stalls, qb is pressured we now have a guy to bail us out (let’s ignore that he is not a good pass blocker)

    Sounds like 1st round pick used wisely!!!

    Again not saying he won’t work out. Just slightly confused about the logic used to be excited about him


    Rashaad Penny is not bad at pass blocking. There was a lot of misinformation about him on the internet. They found him more valuable to be used out in the patterns on 3rd down. And you will too. He is speedy, runs good routes and has soft natural hands like a WR. Plus he gives you huge RAC. Use your Fullback to stay in and block or an extra TE. It would be the best use of Penny to have him out in the patterns making plays. That said he will block for you if need be. This blocking issue is exaggerated. I have seen him block. They just didn't use him a huge amount there. But it doesn't mean he can't do it. IMO it is a misuse of his talents though. If you want a blocker bring in a Fullback or an extra TE. He will do it once in a while. But to use a talent like Rashaad Penny as an every down blocker would just be such a waste and misuse of talent.

    I believe coach Carroll will know how to use him. He is a good coach and understands. When they do ask him to block they will teach him his assignments. He will do fine with it.


    I respectfully disagree.

    Blocking absolutely is his weak spot and an area he needs to improve in.

    Running backs MUST be able to block in this league. At least if you want an every down back.

    I have no doubt that Penny can get up to speed with it during camp, though.


    I wouldn't really call it a weak spot for him. He can do it. He just lacks familiarity with it. They did not ask him to do it much at San Diego State. Of course he will need to block sometimes. And yes they will get him up to speed on his blocking assignments working with him. A lot of it is just a mental thing and recognizing his blocking assignments. Because he didn't do it much. But that doesn't mean he can't if you teach him. He can athletically for sure IMO.

    I will say again yes I agree with you an NFL RB will block. He will and he will do fine with it when the staff tells him what his assignments are. But for the most part you would want to use him running and out in the patterns catching and on special teams as a return man. Because those are his strengths. It doesn't mean they can't get his blocking up to speed. I believe they will as he gets more familiar with it. Use him a lot that way in training camp and preseason. That way he will adjust to it. He didn't block as bad as is claimed on the internet BTW. He does OK with it. Sometimes it's a mental thing because of lack of familiarity. But that can become better with more repetition.


    There is a lot of film on him being really bad at it. It IS a weak spot.

    Doesn't mean he can't get better at it. Some though never take to their blocking roles even if they 'could' do it. See Graham.
    User avatar
    Smellyman
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4399
    Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:58 pm
    Location: Taipei


  • Or...we could get a FB and use the RB for the actual things they are good at.

    Just a thought.

    With Bevel gone, I am going to hope the stupidity of keeping our better offensive players back to 'block' has been replaced by something else.
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2900
    Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:48 pm


  • SanDiego49er wrote:
    mikeak wrote:I am so glad people are excited that we drafted a RB because of our abysmal running game last year and then the same people are super excited about he RBs ability to catch the football!!!

    So when running game stalls, qb is pressured we now have a guy to bail us out (let’s ignore that he is not a good pass blocker)

    Sounds like 1st round pick used wisely!!!

    Again not saying he won’t work out. Just slightly confused about the logic used to be excited about him


    Rashaad Penny is not bad at pass blocking. There was a lot of misinformation about him on the internet. They found him more valuable to be used out in the patterns on 3rd down. And you will too. He is speedy, runs good routes and has soft natural hands like a WR. Plus he gives you huge RAC. Use your Fullback to stay in and block or an extra TE. It would be the best use of Penny to have him out in the patterns making plays. That said he will block for you if need be. This blocking issue is exaggerated. I have seen him block. They just didn't use him a huge amount there. But it doesn't mean he can't do it. IMO it is a misuse of his talents though. If you want a blocker bring in a Fullback or an extra TE. He will do it once in a while. But to use a talent like Rashaad Penny as an every down blocker would just be such a waste and misuse of talent.

    I believe coach Carroll will know how to use him. He is a good coach and understands. When they do ask him to block they will teach him his assignments. He will do fine with it.


    The problem with the whole "he wasn't asked to do it" argument is that it has been heard before in regards to players such as Graham

    Or go look at Christine Michael - whenever he played he had decent numbers but neither Seattle nor GB gave him a lot of time on the field - why if he can run the ball? Because he missed assignments and forgot where he was supposed to go.

    I absolutely hope that Penny tears it up, becomes an awesome pass blocker and catches the ball for 15 yard chunks out of the backfield. THat is by far the best outcome

    But to pick a guy in the first round from a school that faced less competition, had huge holes to run through and always able to have speed by the time he got hit and didn't do any pass blocking is IN MY OPINION a risk. To go from taking that risk to people discussing offensive rookie awards before they have even seen him in pre-season is to me really strange.

    Others here complain about the negativity - to have tampered expectations of a rookie that we don't know he will perform is now being negative. To identify the concerns and discussing them is "spewing negativity". We are the same people that said for the last three years that our OC sucked, that our OL coach sucked and that our OL sucked. I guess we should have walked into every season and say that our OL should be up for best unit in the NFL and claim to believe it then be shocked every year.......
    mikeak
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 7112
    Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:24 pm
    Location: Anchorage, AK


  • Atradees wrote:i didnt realize Chris carson had so many highlights in like a 300 yard season. Wow. i mean its like what Curt warner or Alexander did in one game. Obviously he is a star 7th rounder.


    He ran hard, had a certain elusiveness, showed a knack for catching the ball, looked capable in pass blocking, contributed on special teams, and finished his runs, all behind a bad O-Line. He contributed more in those 300 yards then most 7th rounders do in their first season, assuming they even make the team....he's going to be a piece of the puzzle if Seattle does indeed return to a Top 5 Rushing Offense.
    MagnificentSeven
    NET Bench Warmer
     
    Posts: 46
    Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:26 pm


  • Penny stated he needs to work on his blocking, end of story.

    That's a factual realist statement by the way. :P
    Image

    To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    User avatar
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 23954
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


  • Smellyman wrote:
    SanDiego49er wrote:
    original poster wrote:
    SanDiego49er wrote:
    Rashaad Penny is not bad at pass blocking. There was a lot of misinformation about him on the internet. They found him more valuable to be used out in the patterns on 3rd down. And you will too. He is speedy, runs good routes and has soft natural hands like a WR. Plus he gives you huge RAC. Use your Fullback to stay in and block or an extra TE. It would be the best use of Penny to have him out in the patterns making plays. That said he will block for you if need be. This blocking issue is exaggerated. I have seen him block. They just didn't use him a huge amount there. But it doesn't mean he can't do it. IMO it is a misuse of his talents though. If you want a blocker bring in a Fullback or an extra TE. He will do it once in a while. But to use a talent like Rashaad Penny as an every down blocker would just be such a waste and misuse of talent.

    I believe coach Carroll will know how to use him. He is a good coach and understands. When they do ask him to block they will teach him his assignments. He will do fine with it.


    I respectfully disagree.

    Blocking absolutely is his weak spot and an area he needs to improve in.

    Running backs MUST be able to block in this league. At least if you want an every down back.

    He can get better at that easily. You can teach blocking to a RB. You can't teach the breakaway speed, soft natural hands as a receiver and his all world return skills. A lot of it is just learning his assignments. Because he didn't do it much he lacks familiarity. But it's not like he can't do it athletically. He can do it athletically. So teach him. And they will teach him. He will be fine with it. The argument is over blown IMO from watching Penny. He blocks fine when the ask him to do it. They used him a lot out in the patterns on 3rd down and would bring their Fullback in to block. They would even put him in the slot or line him up at WR. They would even send him deep and he would make plays like that. You should too. Yes he will be asked to block and he will do fine if you teach him his assignments. Coach Carroll will work with him on that. It's not like athletically he can't do it. He can. He has 220 lbs. and he is strong. He can block if he understands his assignment on a given play.

    I have no doubt that Penny can get up to speed with it during camp, though.


    I wouldn't really call it a weak spot for him. He can do it. He just lacks familiarity with it. They did not ask him to do it much at San Diego State. Of course he will need to block sometimes. And yes they will get him up to speed on his blocking assignments working with him. A lot of it is just a mental thing and recognizing his blocking assignments. Because he didn't do it much. But that doesn't mean he can't if you teach him. He can athletically for sure IMO.

    I will say again yes I agree with you an NFL RB will block. He will and he will do fine with it when the staff tells him what his assignments are. But for the most part you would want to use him running and out in the patterns catching and on special teams as a return man. Because those are his strengths. It doesn't mean they can't get his blocking up to speed. I believe they will as he gets more familiar with it. Use him a lot that way in training camp and preseason. That way he will adjust to it. He didn't block as bad as is claimed on the internet BTW. He does OK with it. Sometimes it's a mental thing because of lack of familiarity. But that can become better with more repetition.


    There is a lot of film on him being really bad at it. It IS a weak spot.

    Doesn't mean he can't get better at it. Some though never take to their blocking roles even if they 'could' do it. See Graham.


    He can do it fine when he understands his assignment. They used him more as a receiver out of the backfield because he is great at it. They would line him up wide and put him in the slot. I've seen them send him deep and he makes TD's that way. You can teach a RB to block. He has the athleticism to do it. It's more of a mental thing because they didn't ask him to do it much. They wanted the ball in his hands because he is a huge game breaker. You should want the ball in his hands too for that same reason. He will block yes and he will do it well if you drill him on his assignments. Coach Carroll will get him on board. That is the purpose of mini camp, training camp and preseason.
    SanDiego49er
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 225
    Joined: Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:21 am


  • mikeak wrote:
    SanDiego49er wrote:
    mikeak wrote:I am so glad people are excited that we drafted a RB because of our abysmal running game last year and then the same people are super excited about he RBs ability to catch the football!!!

    So when running game stalls, qb is pressured we now have a guy to bail us out (let’s ignore that he is not a good pass blocker)

    Sounds like 1st round pick used wisely!!!

    Again not saying he won’t work out. Just slightly confused about the logic used to be excited about him


    Rashaad Penny is not bad at pass blocking. There was a lot of misinformation about him on the internet. They found him more valuable to be used out in the patterns on 3rd down. And you will too. He is speedy, runs good routes and has soft natural hands like a WR. Plus he gives you huge RAC. Use your Fullback to stay in and block or an extra TE. It would be the best use of Penny to have him out in the patterns making plays. That said he will block for you if need be. This blocking issue is exaggerated. I have seen him block. They just didn't use him a huge amount there. But it doesn't mean he can't do it. IMO it is a misuse of his talents though. If you want a blocker bring in a Fullback or an extra TE. He will do it once in a while. But to use a talent like Rashaad Penny as an every down blocker would just be such a waste and misuse of talent.

    I believe coach Carroll will know how to use him. He is a good coach and understands. When they do ask him to block they will teach him his assignments. He will do fine with it.


    The problem with the whole "he wasn't asked to do it" argument is that it has been heard before in regards to players such as Graham

    Or go look at Christine Michael - whenever he played he had decent numbers but neither Seattle nor GB gave him a lot of time on the field - why if he can run the ball? Because he missed assignments and forgot where he was supposed to go.

    I absolutely hope that Penny tears it up, becomes an awesome pass blocker and catches the ball for 15 yard chunks out of the backfield. THat is by far the best outcome

    But to pick a guy in the first round from a school that faced less competition, had huge holes to run through and always able to have speed by the time he got hit and didn't do any pass blocking is IN MY OPINION a risk. To go from taking that risk to people discussing offensive rookie awards before they have even seen him in pre-season is to me really strange.

    Others here complain about the negativity - to have tampered expectations of a rookie that we don't know he will perform is now being negative. To identify the concerns and discussing them is "spewing negativity". We are the same people that said for the last three years that our OC sucked, that our OL coach sucked and that our OL sucked. I guess we should have walked into every season and say that our OL should be up for best unit in the NFL and claim to believe it then be shocked every year.......


    If less competition is your argument then what happened with these?

    ~ Ran all over Arizona State (Pac 12) - they can't stop him.

    ~ Ran all over Stanford (Pac 12) - they can't stop him.

    ~ Had huge explosive plays at the Senior Bowl against the supposed to be best players in the country. They can't stop him.

    **** "Competition level" works BOTH ways. Do you seriously think he had the Penn State line to run behind? Not by a long shot. Do you think he had Penn State WR's to draw attention away from him? No way. Did he have star TE's like Penn State to draw attention away from him? No way. Did he have a functional Penn State QB who is accurate throwing him the ball. No way. His QB couldn't hit a bright red barn from 5 yards away. He would have bigger #'s if he had an accurate QB and more threats around him.

    Further if it is so easy in that conference how come no other RB put up #'s anywhere near what he did? Because nobody did by a long shot.

    Also on his own team I didn't see anybody else doing what he did. I didn't see any other RB's have huge holes. I saw Penny have explosive speed and quickness to get to places and power to run people over when the contact comes. It's Penny in other words.

    Athletically speaking and production wise there is not one other back like him in the Draft like him other than Barkley. He's the only one. Nobody else.
    SanDiego49er
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 225
    Joined: Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:21 am


  • RE: Penney is a bad pass blocker, according to the, always right, "experts", all of which base that on limited, if any, watching of actual game film. This then becomes a further negative to downgrade a player they took lightly and justifies their "rankings".

    IIRC: "We focus on what a player can do, not what he can't" was the teams attitude toward draft picks?
    When did that change?

    When and IF Penney, in his rookie year, returns a couple of kicks for 100-yard TD's and then proceeds to average over 100 rushing yards for the season, yes, he'll be the Offensive Rookie of the Year and all the "Experts" will say they knew it all along. Guaranteed.
    :smilingalien:
    ------------------Rashaad Penny, the next great Seahawks RB.------------------
    User avatar
    CamanoIslandJQ
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1360
    Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:11 am
    Location: Camano Island, WA


  • CamanoIslandJQ wrote:RE: Penney is a bad pass blocker, according to the, always right, "experts", all of which base that on limited, if any, watching of actual game film. This then becomes a further negative to downgrade a player they took lightly and justifies their "rankings".

    IIRC: "We focus on what a player can do, not what he can't" was the teams attitude toward draft picks?
    When did that change?

    When and IF Penney, in his rookie year, returns a couple of kicks for 100-yard TD's and then proceeds to average over 100 rushing yards for the season, yes, he'll be the Offensive Rookie of the Year and all the "Experts" will say they knew it all along. Guaranteed.
    :smilingalien:


    Yes I agree on a lot of the things you said here. It's a good post. There was so much misinformation about Rashaad Penny on the internet. Any arm chair guy can be a "draft expert" on the internet by building a website and calling themselves that. They don't watch San Diego State. They just watch the big name nationally televised programs. They don't know anything about Rashaad Penny.
    SanDiego49er
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 225
    Joined: Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:21 am


  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    KiwiHawk wrote:Hey, constant unbridled sarcastic negativity (or "realism" if that's your thing) IS valuable - there's a long and storied history of it around here.

    A lot of fluffers ;) consider anything that isn't positivity to be negativity. Realism IS a thing, and it's NOT negativity - too many people trying to hide negativity behind the guise of realism is not realism's fault; you leave him the hell alone. :)

    Dang, you whiners are laying it on thick.
    User avatar
    Jazzhawk
    * NET News Scoop *
     
    Posts: 9628
    Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:16 pm


  • Or people can fan how they want? The doom and gloom stuff is a waste of time. But to each his/her own.
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    User avatar
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 9318
    Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:59 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


  • SoulfishHawk wrote:Or people can fan how they want? The doom and gloom stuff is a waste of time. But to each his/her own.


    You are right - being skeptical that Penny will be offensive rookie of the year is the definition of doom and gloom........

    :sarcasm_off:
    mikeak
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 7112
    Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:24 pm
    Location: Anchorage, AK


  • :lol: Nah, being skeptical about everything is kind of the norm. Oh well, we all look it our own way.
    And, he's a Seahawk, he could have 1,800+ all purpose yards and somehow they would give it to a different player.
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    User avatar
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 9318
    Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:59 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


  • If healthy I think Carson is going to be really really hard to keep off the field. And I don't mean that as a negative towards Penny, I'm just really high on Carson. The workload may be too split for either guy to receive any sort of award recognition, but ultimately I think it will prove great for the team.
    kobebryant
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2212
    Joined: Sat May 23, 2009 1:45 pm


  • SoulfishHawk wrote::lol: Nah, being skeptical about everything is kind of the norm. Oh well, we all look it our own way.
    And, he's a Seahawk, he could have 1,800+ all purpose yards and somehow they would give it to a different player.


    We do look at it our own way -- I am very optimistic about O-line being way better simply because of competent coaching

    I am optimistic about a change being good / great for RW

    I think our new punter is going to make a huge difference

    I am skeptical that new coaches will mean a significant philosophical change for PC. I think we will still run, run, pass a lot and not keep our opponents on their toes enough. I hope the new coaching staff will be strong "against" PC and be more aggressive. Especially if we have a punter that can kick it 80 yards with a 10 minute hang time :)

    I am optimistic that Carson and Penny will be able to combine for a potent running attack. I would be happily surprised if Penny is the offensive rookie of the year, especially with four QBs in the first round - but there is nothing better than being happily surprised by a Seahawks player.

    I think we are thin all around. I think injuries is our biggest hurdle to a wild-card spot

    I expect a division win in 2019

    So if that perspective and some tampered expectations for this season is doom and gloom then I simply find it interesting. Every single rookie drafted this year had a highlight tape. They ALL look awesome. Sure great that we also have been joined by fans of Penny (I joined this site the week after RW was drafted even though I was a Seahawk fan before) but they are not partial in looking at his skill and separately they may know a lot about him but frequently don't have the right reference points.

    Every year 1st round picks fail, every year some of them are huge surprises, every year an undrafted rookie becomes a known player by all NFL fans - every single year. So lets go through training camp and pre-season before we actually make informed opinions about what we may have on our team
    mikeak
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 7112
    Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:24 pm
    Location: Anchorage, AK


  • SoulfishHawk wrote::lol: Nah, being skeptical about everything is kind of the norm. Oh well, we all look it our own way.
    And, he's a Seahawk, he could have 1,800+ all purpose yards and somehow they would give it to a different player.


    So we're still on the everyone hates us nonsense?

    I'm all for hypothetical questions, but it's hard for me to get excited about this question when we don't even know how many carriers he'll even get when the season starts.

    If he has a great camp and pre-season, he very well could be on his way to being the starter. But even that means that Solari works some magic with this terrible line AND Penny kicks ass in the run game.

    Two big asks, let alone having the type of season to win ROTY.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 12742
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


  • Nah, I don't care if he gets it or not. Pete has never won Coach of the year, John has never won exec of the year. Just goes with being in Seattle. Adds to the chip regardless.
    The team gets plenty of respect, but is ignored quite often when it comes to any type of awards.
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    User avatar
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 9318
    Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:59 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


  • The objective with Penny is to get better at something we are terrible at.

    Whatever risk there might have been to selection was offset by the risk of hoping Carson could be the guy.

    Carson demonstrated potential. But he did not produce a run game for us. Most of that was him being injured.

    But we bet on hoping an injured RB would come back and be fine for us before. That was the mistake we made with Rawls.

    So given the horrendous run game we had, we had no choice but to reduce the risk that we had with no run game. Drafting one OL would not have fixed it and likely drafting 4 would not...given the track record we have on OL being effective draft picks.

    We needed both another RB in the event Carson could not produce for us (for whatever reason) and OL. It would have been nice to get Hernandez but he was a risk too.

    What Penny gave us was a returner, a RB and a receiving threat. He might be iffy on pass blocking but considering the risks we were trying reduce - I think we did that.

    I don't know that he has a shot for offensive rookie of the year. That would be a hell of a fix for the OL to suddenly make that happen. But he makes us better at an area we were struggling with.
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2900
    Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:48 pm


  • kobebryant wrote:If healthy I think Carson is going to be really really hard to keep off the field. And I don't mean that as a negative towards Penny, I'm just really high on Carson. The workload may be too split for either guy to receive any sort of award recognition, but ultimately I think it will prove great for the team.

    Great points. I would not be at all surprised if Carson wins the starting job and Penny gets spot duty. I also wouldn't be surprised if it went the opposite way, or the two split carries equally. I wouldn't even be surprised if Prosise suddenly bucks the injury bug and becomes the dynamic third down back Pete originally envisioned. For all we know, Prosise may shock us all by having an injury free season and beating both Penny and Carson out. Regardless, talk of rookie of the year seems somewhat premature.
    Sun Tzu
    NET Practice Squad
     
    Posts: 98
    Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:45 am
    Location: Idaho


  • Given the amount of running backs and QB's taken this draft there is a lot of competition, first the negatives, our line is shit or was, other teams have better lines that took RB's I mean really everyone we sucked to about the worst as far as a run game. Second many teams took a QB that pass a lot and enables them to stand out with numbers if not wins. There is also this problem of being in what the media considers the armpit of the NFL, our players have to stand head and shoulders higher then other players to get the recognition they deserve and would get easily in other markets.

    Now the positives, we are a running team, Pete is committed to running the ball and everything he has done this off season has indicated we run or bust, we have a new O line coach that has had success where ever he has went developing O Lineman and in different offenses, Schotty has also been able to use the RB's in both passing and running games which will garner more stats and will give him more recognition . If we use him as a returner he could have a Terry Metcalf type attention on him and the flash big plays will get him a lot of highlight reels, additionally the change in return rules may open the door for more big plays on kickoffs depending how fast we and other teams adapt. We have a roster of Lockett, Penny, Carson, Prosise, Mckissic, Grayson that can all return, a guy that can accelerate and get to the edge and find a seam can possibly get around the bunch, we won't be using the typical wedge anymore if I understand it now.
    Image

    To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    User avatar
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 23954
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


  • Right now the Seahawks need a running back who can run the ball. Blocking is secondary. Shaun Alexander couldn’t block but still had over 1800 yards and 20+ tds in a season. Penny doesn’t even need to that to have good impact. Even if he ran for half those totals, it would be an upgrade over the past couple of seasons. Furthermore, no one complains about Todd Gurley, Lesean McCoy, L. Bell, and Zeke Elliott’s lack of blocking. Did Eric Dickerson block? how about Barry Sanders, or Tiki Barber, Marshall Faulk? None of those guys were particularly great blockers. They didn’t need to be.
    It’s another lazy reason for those to nitpick a player because they didn’t agree with where he was chosen.
    User avatar
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 7107
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:10 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


  • Nobody watched this guy because he played at San Diego State.

    A lot of the big talkers on the networks, they didn't see him actually play -- they just look at highlight clips after the fact.

    They never saw him playing through a game flow.

    I didn't even hear about him until someone on this board on the college forum pointed him out. Unfortunately I wasn't really able to find their games at the bar, but the bowl game, he was electric. I couldn't hear the commentary, but from what I could tell their opponent was entirely focused on stopping Penny. They were stacking the box with like 8, 9 guys on every play, and basically daring the QB to burn them deep. Penny had over 200 yards I think only only 14 carries. It reminded me of a game that Marshawn Lynch had against Buffalo one year, up in Toronto - mean, every time he touched the ball it seemed he was going for 20 yards.

    He was easily the best player I saw in college football this past year.

    I saw Barkley play twice, and all I can say is that Penn State's offense was completely dynamic.... even when they struggled, against Michigan State, for example, their QB was hitting 70 yard bombs.

    Barkley was NOT facing a stacked front, on the contrary - he was running free a lot of the time because safeties were always playing deep. He'd catch the ball against MSU and he had about 10 yards of open field most of the time because the DB's were trying not to give up the big play.


    I really do believe we got the best RB in this draft.

    The last time I was this certain of a college running back was Adrian Peterson. I would say that Penny is on that level, really, a once in a decade player, and in all my years of watching the Seahawks, I've rarely been this excited about a rookie.

    I can count on one hand the Seahawk rookies I've been this stoked about.

    Kenny Easley, Curt Warner, Cortez Kennedy, Joey Galloway, and now Penny... that's how I feel about this guy.
    User avatar
    The_Z_Man
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1932
    Joined: Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:57 pm
    Location: Tucson, AZ


  • Sun Tzu wrote: I wouldn't even be surprised if Prosise suddenly bucks the injury bug and becomes the dynamic third down back Pete originally envisioned. For all we know, Prosise may shock us all by having an injury free season and beating both Penny and Carson out. Regardless, talk of rookie of the year seems somewhat premature.


    Prosise did a double take when his name was mentioned. Pulled a groin on the double take. Out for four weeks.
    Fire Tom Cable

    Still can't believe we let Alex Collins go
    User avatar
    bigskydoc
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2245
    Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:27 am
    Location: Kalispell, MT


  • I've got McGough at 5-1 odds to win it
    User avatar
    King Dog
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1601
    Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:13 pm
    Location: Phoenix, AZ


  • Absolutely LOVE this pick, and I think he will be in the running for Offensive Rookie of the Year.
    \
    Joel Klatt is one of draft analysts that does a good job, and he puts Penny as the 2nd best running back this year, behind Saquon.

    Now, if we just put him in, and LEAVE him in. Instead of last year's bullshit of 1 or 2 plays, "Oh, he didn't break a big one," put RB #2 in and give him 1 or 2 runs, "well shit, he didn't bust one either, put in RB #3, give him 1 shot, then go immediately to RB #4! Because that's how running backs in the NFL work....OMG that still pisses me off to think about. SO glad Cable is gone.

    I think Shotty is going to give Rashaad every opportunity to succeed, by actually having a game plan, with the added point of "get Penny 30 rushing attempts." We used to hear that all the time. "We need to get Marshawn at least 25 rushing attempts a game because he really gets going in the 4th quarter."

    Plus, with Solari here teaching the guys to play their position, instead of teaching them to play all of the positions, this line should be much more efficient at run blocking. I think having Duane Brown, Fluker, Britt, Ifedi, and Pocic in there, that the running backs will have some holes to run through.

    Here's a great breakdown of Rashaad's abilities.




    PFF (Pro Football Focus)




    NFL Draft Geek Film Breakdown - Rashaad Penny

    "God Bless the Seattle Seahawks" Cortez Kennedy

    http://ivotuk.com/
    User avatar
    ivotuk
    * NET Moderator *
     
    Posts: 17211
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:29 pm
    Location: North Pole, Alaska


Next


It is currently Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:52 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]




Information
  • Who is online