Rashaad Penny for Offensive Rookie of the year?

Mistashoesta

Reaction score
Longshot, but what if... :stirthepot: :179417:

The Seahawks have been extremely pass-heavy the past two seasons, but the offseason change to offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer and subsequent personnel moves suggest a move back to the run. Those moves included taking San Diego State's Penny in the first round of the draft. He led the nation in rushing yards last year (2,248) and has good size, terrific elusiveness and post-contact ability as well as good receiving chops. He's a candidate to push for well more than 250 touches as a rookie.

https://247sports.com/nfl/seattle-seaha ... -118097274

bigskydoc

Reaction score
I wouldn't complain, especially if Wilson also gets OPY. Hey this is the season for dreaming, and Wilson finally getting OPY is certainly possible.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
I'm not convinced yet that he is better than Chris Carson. On the other hand, Carson is coming off an injury and Penny was a pretty significant investment. We'll see how the competition plays out.

Seymour

Reaction score
pmedic920":2yqmvm99 said:
The reality is, we a have a potential
OFFENSIVE rookie and a potential DEFENSIVE rookie on our team.

GoHawks

Not even potential. Every one of them already is that. :idea:

pmedic920

Reaction score
Seymour":2w3z0bnl said:
pmedic920":2w3z0bnl said:

GoHawks

Everybody knows what I mean/meant.

How bout you contribute something of value to the conversation.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
Hey, constant unbridled sarcastic negativity (or "realism" if that's your thing) IS valuable - there's a long and storied history of it around here.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":34hjqz4t said:
Hey, constant unbridled sarcastic negativity (or "realism" if that's your thing) IS valuable - there's a long and storied history of it around here.
A lot of fluffers ;) consider anything that isn't positivity to be negativity. Realism IS a thing, and it's NOT negativity - too many people trying to hide negativity behind the guise of realism is not realism's fault; you leave him the hell alone. :)

SanDiego49er

Reaction score
Yes he can be that if he stays healthy and you put a good O Line in front of him. Plus you have to commit to the run a lot. Which you may do. You can't just give Penny 10 carries a game. He needs 25, 30 or even 35 carries. The more carries the better. As you run him there will be some big, explosive plays in there. He kind of builds momentum the more carries he gets and can get better. Although he can be great very early in the game too. But the point is you need to give him his carries if you want the big explosive plays. You can't just give him 5 carries and say see he didn't have an explosive play that game. It's not a realistic sample size and it's not how he has his big gains. He needs a commitment number of carries.

MagnificentSeven

Reaction score
I still think it's going to be a 1-2 Combo Attack...Penny is the Lightning, and Carson is the Thunder. As long as the Offensive Line is Average, I see us returning to a Top 5 Rushing Team. A Heavy dose of Carson in the 3rd and 4th quarter is going to put away most Defenses....he's just a bruiser.

BTW, Audio on Video is NSFW, so, you have been warned.

[youtube]_0no1I6S6Po[/youtube]

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
He is going to bring something for us catching the ball.

Just wait.

It is going to be awesome.

I am so excited to have a RB that can catch the ball in the flat and turn it into 15-20 yd gains.

You can be a realist and see good things coming with him as an addition.

SanDiego49er

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":2w78ug59 said:
He is going to bring something for us catching the ball.

Just wait.

It is going to be awesome.

I am so excited to have a RB that can catch the ball in the flat and turn it into 15-20 yd gains.

You can be a realist and see good things coming with him as an addition.

He can catch the ball so well that at one time as San Diego State they thought about putting him at WR. He is a natural hands catcher and he runs good routes too. They would line him up wide and put him the slot too and I've seen him make plays from both of those places. He would have much higher receiving numbers if he had a QB worth anything. The starting QB for the San Diego State Aztecs couldn't hit a bright red barn from 5 yards away. Christian Chapman (QB) is really bad. He cost them some games (the QB). It was mostly all Penny. But with a functional and accurate QB which Russell Wilson is I would expect his pass receiving #'s to go up. Yes he is great with run after the catch and will put up big numbers there. He is also hell to bring down in the open field deeper down the field because he is already past the line of scrimmage and has less guys to put moves on and beat. Plus he is bigger and stronger than the DB's and can run them over. He is very dangerous deep down the field for a variety of reasons.

Seymour

Reaction score
pmedic920":1j9p7doe said:
Seymour":1j9p7doe said:
pmedic920":1j9p7doe said:

GoHawks

Everybody knows what I mean/meant.

How bout you contribute something of value to the conversation.

OK but be careful what you ask for.

If Penny is to have that kind of success here, he will need a lot of help from Solari and the oline. Why speculate with so many variables to see how they all work out still?

chris98251

Reaction score
If we draft we better have a player that has the potential to be a Defensive Rookie of the year or Offensive rookie of the year at skill positions. If we don't we might as well write off the seasons. They may not get the prize but at least be in the conversation, Schneider and Pete , Wilson, Lynch, Wagner, Sherman, Thomas all were in conversations at one time or another for awards but always get aced out by the East Coast Voting and mediots.

King Dog

Reaction score
MagnificentSeven":2ti7eqoj said:
I still think it's going to be a 1-2 Combo Attack...Penny is the Lightning, and Carson is the Thunder. As long as the Offensive Line is Average, I see us returning to a Top 5 Rushing Team.

Whoa, whoa....WHOA. Let's not get too crazy here.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
What is a hell of a lot more important than Rookie of the Year is "where are they now".

I am sure not many Redskins fans as of lasy year care that RGIII beat out Wilson for the title. They probably do care that their 3 first-round draft picks are playing backup QB for another team while our 3rd-round pick is a franchise QB.

A rookie season does not a career make.

mikeak

Reaction score
I am so glad people are excited that we drafted a RB because of our abysmal running game last year and then the same people are super excited about he RBs ability to catch the football!!!

So when running game stalls, qb is pressured we now have a guy to bail us out (let’s ignore that he is not a good pass blocker)

Sounds like 1st round pick used wisely!!!

Again not saying he won’t work out. Just slightly confused about the logic used to be excited about him

Atradees

Reaction score
i didnt realize Chris carson had so many highlights in like a 300 yard season. Wow. i mean its like what Curt warner or Alexander did in one game. Obviously he is a star 7th rounder.

Smellyman

Reaction score
'All rookies' are for offensive rookie of the year right now.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Did someone really seriously ask why it is useful to have your RB also be a threat catching the ball?

Yes, I am very happy we have an additional threat the QB can get the ball to, especially as a dump off if under pressure.