Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

So the experts say the Hawks will suck this season?

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
  • Worst case I've read is the team will finish last in the NFC-W.

Somehow I suspect those folks are underestimating the talent already here on the roster. There is still a strong nucleus of young talent on the team and the loss of the the divisive guys on the roster may be compensated by the younger more hungry guys. I believe we could see addition by subtraction.

I still believe the Rams will be a problem but the other two teams in the division aren’t there yet or any longer. There is some pay back owed to them and we know who they are now.To me the Digits are overrated and our DEs will eat the GQ man for lunch. The Cardinals have a new coach and have lost a lot of talent.

The Hawks by far have the best QB in the Div., that means a lot. If the OLine and the running game develops as hoped things could be interesting.

At present if I defer with reluctance to the”experts” I still can see the team snatching a wildcard and being dangerous in the postseason. If however the team can win both matchups in the div. vs. the Rams the potential for a deeper playoff run could be more probable than those “experts” acknowledge.

What is the majority view here?

I see 10-6 or better.
    Until we develop a pass rush that will cause opposing teams to be forced to scheme to defend it we will never be able to consistently take the final step. The interior rush needs improvement. The OLine clearly still needs work.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions at last after 38 seasons. Awesome!!!
    jammerhawk
    NET Veteran

• I think the team needs a year to integrate the new young guys and regroup from the veteran losses. To me this is like PC's 2nd year where we went 7-9 just like the year before. So I say 9-7 with another near miss for the playoffs. But 2019 could be a really good year for this team if all falls into place with our running game and a young/aggressive defense.

Perhaps 12-4 or even 13-3 and HFA for 2019 will be in the cards. I can see it.
    kf3339
    NET Veteran

• Yeah, I've been seeing a lot of 6-10, 7-9 predictions. Maybe they are right but their reasoning is a causation analysis. Our defense had some solid moments with Sherm and Kam out last year. Until Russ and Bobby go I will keep thinking good things. IMO I feel like our teamed improved this year but what do I know.
    seahawkfreak
    NET Veteran

• The national media narrative is always going to be lazy analysis for the most part. I was just talking to my neighbor about this. If Vegas has the line at 8-8 for the Hawks this season, we would both drop a grand on the over.

9-7 is my prediction.

John's right. The Hawks are reloading.

"Shaquem Griffin tells ESPN after he got drafted by Seattle; 'I can't breathe.' That's the only time you'll hear him say he can't do something." - Dan Wetzel via Twitter.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

• The Rebuild will be quicker then expected, our O line is a bunch of guys coached away from their strengths, Power, Solari should be able to correct them more easily then teaching guys that have not seen NFL caliber defenders, that should help turn things around a bit. Penny is going to take off quickly I think as well, he will be underestimated and faster then people think, big guys look slower going fast then smaller guys that stride shorter. Having a TE that will make contact and not whiff block is going to also be a big difference. The passing game will benifit from above along with having RB's breaking off and actual screens set up. Thats the offense.

On defense we got a chance to see our reclamition projects step in and up, I think they come back with more attitude and confidence and it will be a legitimate defense, maybe not top 5 but a contending defense, Our LB's will be fine and I can see Griff making some awe inspiring plays, from both the DE and Weak side. The secondary will have Earl, McDougald, Maxwell and Shaq, they should only be better having a chance to now play together and sync up in training camp, if they let their gaurd down we have viable guys now pushing hard to take their job, Maxwell especially.

The key is Pete, does he give the guys the ability to win or tyr not to lose. Taking off the handcuffs and letting the guys play especially on offense is going to be the major key to starting off quickly.

Two records for me.

If Pete lets them play. 10 - 6 and or better and playoffs.

If Pete wants to micro manage, 7 - 9 or 6 - 10.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• 7-9 as of today. Still lots of off season to go.
    Super Bowl XLVIII Champions 2014.02.02 Seahawks 43 Broncos 8
    Cyrus12
    NET Veteran

• I want to watch our TC before I make any predictions. "Experts" are the ones that frequently "suck" with their early predictions.
    Proud Member of the .Net Old Farts Society
    Bigpumpkin
    NET Veteran

• I'm gonna stick with my usual 16-0. The way I figure it I'm bound to be right one of these years. :lol:
    RezHawk
    NET Veteran

• if penny cant run we are screwed. i pray Solari is a magic man. The division is strong; but I believe in Wilson. the things I saw the Oline do under Cable was embarrassing. perhaps it will be much better now.
    Michael Dickson, P, Texas: 2018 Adopt a Probowl Rookie
    Atradees
    NET Veteran

• Lot of unanswered questions. 7-9 sounds and looks about right. Nobody knows if we'll be able to run the ball and I feel the defense is going to be pushed around some this season.
    pittpnthrs
    NET Veteran

• I cant see seahawks finishing below Cardinals... niners are good and the rams are great, but Cardinals?
    The Moment: Image
    TwilightError
    NET Veteran

• 1-5 in the division.
    5-5 the rest of the way.
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran

• I'm thinking 9-7 as well, but back in the playoffs in 2019. And I love the fact that everyone thinks they will suck.
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

• How would the experts even know?

The offense will be completely different.

The defense will be completely different.

We literally will not have a clue where we stand until 3 or so games in. Maybe longer, because the team will be picking up the new offense and new defense.

Any projections at this point are just guesses. And there simply is not enough information to make informed guesses at this point.
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran

• The team finished 9-7 last season but easily with a competent kicker should have finished 11-5 or possibly 12-4.

The only genuine losses of substance were Bennett, WR-Richardson, and Graham although you could fairly argue Graham had checked out. I believe that both O players have been replaced by positionally capable guys. The other losses were for us JAGs. It remains to be seen if Bennett’s loss can be effectively replaced.

For me I will remain optimistic until proven contrary.
    Until we develop a pass rush that will cause opposing teams to be forced to scheme to defend it we will never be able to consistently take the final step. The interior rush needs improvement. The OLine clearly still needs work.

jammerhawk
    NET Veteran

• jammerhawk wrote:The team finished 9-7 last season but easily with a competent kicker should have finished 11-5 or possibly 12-4.

The only genuine losses of substance were Bennett, WR-Richardson, and Graham although you could fairly argue Graham had checked out. I believe that both O players have been replaced by positionally capable guys. The other losses were for us JAGs. It remains to be seen if Bennett’s loss can be effectively replaced.

Avril, Kam, Sherman, Richardson and Benett. That's a lot of really good players to lose from a defense.
    QuickLightning
    NET Rookie

• QuickLightning wrote:
    jammerhawk wrote:The team finished 9-7 last season but easily with a competent kicker should have finished 11-5 or possibly 12-4.

Avril, Kam, Sherman, Richardson and Benett. That's a lot of really good players to lose from a defense.

60% of that list missed a huge chunk of the season anyway.
    www.hawk-talk.com

Richard Sherman wrote:People look forward to writing us off. Our demise was greatly overstated.
    original poster
    * NET Moderator *

• That's a lot of players who were good at one time, but were beginning to be slowed (or worse) by injury, or distraction; or just wanted more $ than they were worth on the field for a number of reasons, their actual play being only one of these.
    NET Veteran

• Aros wrote:The national media narrative is always going to be lazy analysis for the most part. I was just talking to my neighbor about this. If Vegas has the line at 8-8 for the Hawks this season, we would both drop a grand on the over.

9-7 is my prediction.

John's right. The Hawks are reloading.

This is where I'm at.

The cupboard of talent, especially on defense was too bare to reload in one year, so IMO it'll take another draft or two for us to get back to a top 10 defense.

So I see us around the 8-8 mark this year, it'd be more bleak if we didn't have Russell. I'd be more optimistic if we were in just about any other division............................... But both the Rams and Niners are now stacked, and the Cards are in the same place we are, trying to re-load but still competitive.

I hope I'm wrong, but we still are very thin at DB, LB, D-line, O-line, TE and WR. That's a LOT of hoping younger unproven players step up.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• QuickLightning wrote:
    jammerhawk wrote:The team finished 9-7 last season but easily with a competent kicker should have finished 11-5 or possibly 12-4.

But 3 of those 5 players played only half the year or less. The defense didn't suffer a huge dropoff.
    jlwaters1
    NET Veteran

• QuickLightning wrote:

Avril was hurt and out for half last season, so was Kam, and Sherman was gone for a bit less. I didn't think Richardson added much to our D but certainly is a good player. The D played adequately or better in the absence of Avril, Sherman and Kam who really hasn't been playing much over the past 2.5 seasons at any rate.

The 3 tech position that Richardson played may be able to be addressed by a platooning of players who may be fresher than Richardson was or Bennett was as well.

Long term the loss of Sherman will hurt but will the loss of his divisive behaviour?

To me I think the lost star version of assessment fails to recognize the potential talent of the younger players on the roster and underestimates the ability of the D to play at a high level, better than the "experts" assess.

Time will tell.

jammerhawk
    NET Veteran

• I hate to say it but I agre with the experts. You cannot lose that much talent on Defense and expect to gel right away. I think 7-9 is being optimistic for this year. Should see some sucess in a year or two but not expecting anything this year. :roll:

Wilson will be the reason for at least 5 wins single handedly though.
    SeAhAwKeR4life
    NET Veteran

• Interesting couple of comments about 'Defense didn't drop off much without them".

Did any of these people watch the Rams destroy our team 42-7 at C-Link??

When was the last time something like that happened?

:snack:
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

• Shoot, watch the Houston game WITH a lot of the D still in there. Shredded our D. Titans shredded the D as well.
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

• But this is all very interesting... we won 9 games this last season with virtually NO running game, and many injuries on Defense. I know there were games that were lost by a field goal that could/should have been wins, and a couple close wins that could have swung the other way. So we'll call it an authentic 9-win season.

But 9 wins with all those issues? Why should we expect less this year with a potentially better O-line development, fewer distractions, and several new high-motor, sound skill players added to the mix? If our RB stable stays uninjured and the o-line is merely serviceable, our Offense can be significantly better. The Defense has more youth, so there will be some mistakes made, but they also have some new sparks. Our Special Teams should see some real gains all around.

1-5 in the division? No way. We'll stay competitive, and I expect to see the team do better in the division, certainly, and probably 3-3 at minimum.
    NET Veteran

• Way too early for predictions, but my range at this point is somewhere between 6-10 and 10-6
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

• Ad Hawk wrote:But this is all very interesting... we won 9 games this last season with virtually NO running game, and many injuries on Defense. I know there were games that were lost by a field goal that could/should have been wins, and a couple close wins that could have swung the other way. So we'll call it an authentic 9-win season.

But 9 wins with all those issues? Why should we expect less this year with a potentially better O-line development, fewer distractions, and several new high-motor, sound skill players added to the mix? If our RB stable stays uninjured and the o-line is merely serviceable, our Offense can be significantly better. The Defense has more youth, so there will be some mistakes made, but they also have some new sparks. Our Special Teams should see some real gains all around.

1-5 in the division? No way. We'll stay competitive, and I expect to see the team do better in the division, certainly, and probably 3-3 at minimum.

Unknowns are the reason.

Unknowns all the way across the D-line (other than Clark). Unknowns as to whether Earl can stay healthy and both Maxwell and McDougal can step in and not have a big dropoff from Sherman and Kam.

Unknowns in the run game, unknowns with whether Solari can fix the O-line issues.

Unknowns with the WR and TE corp, no more Richardson and Graham, who's going to pick up that production.

So yeah, it's not a crazy notion for some analysts and us fans here to not know if all this turnover is going to work. You're being optimistic that the young players taking over can produce, but you, we, no one knows that yet until we see it.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• 9-7 or 10-6.
    .NET Pick The Score - 1st Season

"Sometimes, guys can't hang with what's expected for one reason or another, their growth, their development and all that, and the best thing I can tell you is that they're not here." - Big Balls Pete
    NFSeahawks628
    NET Veteran

Location: Born: Tacoma, WA Current Location: Tally, Seminole Country (Road Hawk)

• I would have put more resources into the OL.

But having said that, Seattle is still above the Niners rather easily IMO.

Even if you said Jimmy was on the same level as Russell, which would be asinine, the rest of the Hawks team is still better than the rest of the Niners team.

Looking at the Seahawks schedule, I don't think they will win less than 9 games, and they play a ton of road games to start the season - if they come out of their first 7 games at 4-3 or better, IMO they will win at least 10 games.
    Ramfan128
    NET Veteran

• I see us as basically the epitome of a 8-8 team. We're going to be so average, casual fans will think we're coached by Jeff Fisher.

We have a franchise QB though, and that is worth quite a bit in the win column. I wouldn't be shocked if we won 10 games, but I wouldn't gamble a cent on it. This is one of those seasons where I think we'll just be so-so, but I would love it if I was wrong. There's just too much in the air to bet the almost no money I have on our record.
    Rat
    * NET Cynic *

• Rashaad Penney was the RB that the Seahawks wanted in the draft. Why? (1) He's a downhill, one cut and go, North to South runner with the optimum size & speed for the position. (2) He had a fantastic Senior season of production as both a RB and returner. (3) The 2018 Seahawks draft supports that PC/JS are committed in fixing the running game based on the players that they selected.

Had the Seahawks somehow drafted Sequan Barkley, (who, last season had a total of 56.5% of the rushing yards that Penney had) everyone here would be thrilled. The Seahawks brass clearly picked the better running back - for their system. IMO; In their rookie years, Penney will out-perform Barkley in rushing and return yards, Barkley may catch a few more passes but overall Penney will be the better of the two. I say this with confidence after watching a lot of film on both players. To my eye, Barkley is a bit soft and tries to avoid hits as much as possible which is different from Penney and it may end up being a problem or at least, indicative of future injury possibilities for Barkley due to said softness.

After the preseason games, where I'd expect Penney to really shine, many here will change their tune on both Penney as a RB and the "projections" of Seahawks win loss record will suddenly be much higher. Currently, IMO I can't see anything worse than 11-5 & likely better than that. Penney is the guy that will make many here forget about Marshawn Lynch after he destroys the competition. We, as Seahawks fans shouldn't be listening to the National Media about how bad the Seahawks drafted, primarily because they don't know crap & we know better, this was an excellent draft and the coming WINS will bare that out. Penney is going to be a real BEAST on his way to OROTY.
    :smilingalien:
    **MY 2018 ADOPT A ROOKIE: RB-RASHAAD PENNEY, THE NEXT GREAT SEAHAWK RB.**
    CamanoIslandJQ
    NET Veteran

• :179422:

Quite the Kool-Aid to be sippin' on.

I think prolly about 9-7 again. I don't think we get back to the top of the NFC West until the Rams start shedding players they can't afford anymore.
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

• There are lots of things that could go wrong with our team in 2018 but that's true of every team in the NFL. The Rams just won the division last year for the first time since 2003. Remember how short lived the 49ers and Cardinals reign as NFC West champions were the last time each of them won the division? The NFL is up and down and up and down and up and down...

Our expected win total is probably around 8 but 5 wins or 12 wins are also completely plausible at this stage of the season.
    AgentDib
    NET Veteran

• QuickLightning wrote:Avril, Kam, Sherman, Richardson and Benett. That's a lot of really good players to lose from a defense.

When we faced the NFL's #1 offense last year (Philadelphia), how many of those guys played?
    KiwiHawk
    NET Veteran

• KiwiHawk wrote:
    QuickLightning wrote:Avril, Kam, Sherman, Richardson and Benett. That's a lot of really good players to lose from a defense.

When we faced the NFL's #1 offense last year (Philadelphia), how many of those guys played?

Most of the same guys who got their clocks cleaned by the Rams at home.

That's really what was the end of our dominant defense, the wild inconsistency...........which at it's source was age, injury and less than total commitment to what Pete was preaching.

So yes, we should expect more wild inconsistency out of this new group of players. To think it's 100% how we played against the Eagles, and 0% of how we played against the Rams isn't being realistic.

It's both, thus why most of us think it's not going to be much better than 8-8 or 9-7.

To truly dominate on defense you need talent AND depth, and right now the talent is in question, and there's zero proven depth.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• Sgt. Largent wrote:
    KiwiHawk wrote:
    QuickLightning wrote:Avril, Kam, Sherman, Richardson and Benett. That's a lot of really good players to lose from a defense.

That's really what was the end of our dominant defense, the wild inconsistency...........which at it's source was age, injury and less than total commitment to what Pete was preaching.

So yes, we should expect more wild inconsistency out of this new group of players. To think it's 100% how we played against the Eagles, and 0% of how we played against the Rams isn't being realistic.

It's both, thus why most of us think it's not going to be much better than 8-8 or 9-7.

To truly dominate on defense you need talent AND depth, and right now the talent is in question, and there's zero proven depth.

I'd say more like we got our clocks pissed on personally.

Translation to the second highlighted sentence is: Guys flat out quit giving a shit and had their own agenda.
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

• Seymour wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    KiwiHawk wrote:

I'd say more like we got our clocks pissed on personally.

Translation to the second highlighted sentence is: Guys flat out quit giving a shit and had their own agenda.

I don't think "got our clocks pissed on" is a saying, but it's definitely more colorful.

I also disagree with quit giving a sh#$, I think that was the sad part of the decline of guys like Sherman and Bennett.....................they actually were trying, they just didn't have it anymore. Or at least didn't have it to the level we were used to seeing. There was certainly some discontent and animosity towards Pete, but IMO it wasn't why they stopped being as effective.

Which is the NFL, a player's window of dominance, especially on the defensive side of the ball is not very big.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• Ya, I always wondered where "clean your clock" came from as it really makes no sense relating to getting your ass kicked.. So...like always, question everything. :twisted:

Agree on not caring actually too. I think a couple of guys quit at times though.
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

• KJ Wright was out in the Rams game & Wagner was not even close to recovered.
    rcaido
    NET Starter

• Currently I am going for 8-8 or 9-7. There's lots of work to do, but in contrast to last year when we unexpectedly lost a lot of key players, in 2018 the Hawks making the change in players part of a plan for next season and beyond.
    Michael Dickson, P, Texas: Adopt a Rookie 2018

Living below sealevel: The only way is up!
    Zeearend
    NET Bench Warmer

• KiwiHawk wrote:

Yeah and the Dolphins made the Pats look inept last year, the Lions beat the Vikings, flippin Bears beat the Steelers, etc. Inferior teams beat SB contenders, it happens every year. The Fisher rams did it to us, as did the Arians Cards. Fact of the matter is this team played five games against playoff teams and won only two of those games. We just weren't that good. Our record post-Sherm and Kam was 3-4 and we were 25th in points allowed over that stretch... That's a massive impact many here are smoothing over.

Also by what metric were the Eagles the NFL's number one offense? The Eagles were #3 in points, #8 by DVOA, 7th in drive success rate, 11th in yards per drive. They were pretty damn good, but not amazing.
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran

• It is the lazy analysis that national types always do. We as Seahawk fans knew how good the Rams were when they were going 5-11 7-9 every year. We knew that team was loaded with talent that was being held back by bad coaching. But to the national types, the low win totals meant that the team was bad.

The same thing is happening with the Seahawks. National types look at a team that has won 10 games or more for 4 seasons then wins only 9 so to them they think the team has lost a step. They don't know that the Seahawks had the worst production from running backs in NFL history and still won 9 games. They get hung up on the team only winning 9 games.
    sdog1981
    NET Veteran

• The national types’ opinions were based mostly on:

1. Our OL was epically bad, and yet Pete/John seemingly did nothing in term of FA signing and drafting this off season to improve the line.

2. We lost two major receiving asset in Jimmy and Richardson, again we didn’t do much to replace them.

3. Wholesale exodus of stars on defense side. Most replacements were underwhelming.

Can’t fault the above logic. My take:

On the defense:
    I have faith in Pete knows what he is doing. Our major stars were mostly underwhelming before Pete’s magic. It may take more than one season, but I bet by mid next season our defense will be premium again.

Our new punter could single handedly add 10 more yards for the opposing offense to conquer.

On offense:
    On OL, I trust that Pete’s inaction was partially if not mostly based on Solari’s input after his evaluation of our roster. They must felt that the lack of running game were due to lacking a premium back, and blocking help from TE and FB position. So instead of throwing money at OL, they focused on a franchise RB and blocking TEs.

With a functioning running game, pressure would be off quite a bit on Russ and OL.

Pass blocking and WR Corp remains our problems, however, major question marks.

With a developing defense and two question marks on offense, I think 8-8 should be about it. Unless:

Ifeldi makes major improvement, which is not impossible, and they sign another OG with proven record. I don’t have too much confidence in Pocic and Fluker. Guard plays were identified as problem area in ‘16. John tried to fix it with Joekel and Lang. Lang didn’t sign and Joekel was a joke. We needs interior linemen and just don’t think Fluker would be the answer.

One of our young receivers step up, we have quite a few fast, tall, young WRs. Can one or two of them become serviceable?

A motivated young team with good coaching can surprise people, as a Hawks homer, I predict 10-6!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    toffee
    NET Starter

• adeltaY wrote:
    KiwiHawk wrote:

Yeah and the Dolphins made the Pats look inept last year, the Lions beat the Vikings, flippin Bears beat the Steelers, etc. Inferior teams beat SB contenders, it happens every year. The Fisher rams did it to us, as did the Arians Cards. Fact of the matter is this team played five games against playoff teams and won only two of those games. We just weren't that good. Our record post-Sherm and Kam was 3-4 and we were 25th in points allowed over that stretch... That's a massive impact many here are smoothing over.

Also by what metric were the Eagles the NFL's number one offense? The Eagles were #3 in points, #8 by DVOA, 7th in drive success rate, 11th in yards per drive. They were pretty damn good, but not amazing.

At the time they played us they were #1. We hurt their average a little.

And you can look at the negative and say a sucky team got lucky, or you can look at the positive and say even down so many big names, our defense is still capable of stopping the best.
    KiwiHawk
    NET Veteran

• So much depends on the OL and if our new OC can get the ball out of Russell’s hands fast enough to keep him from getting killed but still score more points early and late than we did last season. If our OL play isn’t substantially better right off the bat we could lose our QB first game against Denver. I wouldn’t expect too high a finish if we lost Russ then.
    brimsalabim
    NET Veteran

• KiwiHawk wrote:
    adeltaY wrote:
    KiwiHawk wrote:

At the time they played us they were #1. We hurt their average a little.

And you can look at the negative and say a sucky team got lucky, or you can look at the positive and say even down so many big names, our defense is still capable of stopping the best.

Ah, I did not remember that the Eagles were #1 at the time, my b.

I'm not trying to be negative, just realistic. It's great that we did beat them and showed that we were capable of doing so, but in an NFL season it's not about what you're capable of doing, it's what you're consistently able to do that defines you. There are a few exceptions, like the 2011 Giants, but I'd rather be the team that dominated all the way to the #1 seed and lost a few games to inferior opponents than a solid team that punches above its weight a few times a year. The same collection of guys who stifled the Eagles and the Cowboys also let Kerwynn Williams and Drew Stanton move the ball with ease on us at home while it was still possible for us to make the playoffs (Atlanta hadn't won yet).

I think the defense will be better with Maxwell having more time to re-acclimate and Quill having another year of experience, but I'm very concerned about the pass rush because we lost two of our best pressure producers in Mike B and Sheldon.
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran

• I just don't see how our O-Line can get any worse barring injury. Let's see how this OC does. Responsibility is on him in regards to play calling and not some ridiculous split decision making. As far as I am concerned we can only improve on the OL, running the ball and play calling.

I have full confidence this will be a fun season and not a frustrating one.
    seahawkfreak
    NET Veteran

• seahawkfreak wrote:I just don't see how our O-Line can get any worse barring injury. Let's see how this OC does. Responsibility is on him in regards to play calling and not some ridiculous split decision making. As far as I am concerned we can only improve on the OL, running the ball and play calling.

I have full confidence this will be a fun season and not a frustrating one.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
    www.hawk-talk.com

Richard Sherman wrote:People look forward to writing us off. Our demise was greatly overstated.
    original poster
    * NET Moderator *

• I'm between 10-6 and 11-5. This defense is not the legion of boom, so my wavering is based on how long it takes for them to find their new identity.

Our offense will be improved. A) Because it's new and coaches won't be able to game plan against it for 4-5 weeks, and B) Because we stood pat on our line. That should give them continuity and a confidence, which is what they needed most the last few years.

As for the rest of the division:

The Rams are all in. They are loaded, but it's only going to be for this year. They may be a historically good team, or they may implode since everyone's going to have a eye on the door if they have a slow start. Chargers and Vikings could help make that happen.

The 9ers are going to regress to the mean. The 5-0 finish last year won't translate into a 5-0 start this year. First, teams have tape and know what to expect. Second, teams will be paying attention when they play the 9ers this year.

The Cardnials never got over the hump, and now they've regressed. Fitz hasn't retired yet, but will soon. They will be stuck in transition for the next few years.

Back to the Seahawks: We have a winning tradition, just got rid of the old guard on D -- which may have held back the younger voices or competed with Pete's --, and are tooled up to be a much more physical, ball control offense (which will help the D). I think last year was our fall, which wasn't that far, and that we will recover and grow faster than the 9ers and Cards. Next year, after the cap purge in LA, we'll be in a position to control the division again.
    Own The West
    NET Rookie

• Okay first off the team always has the potential to become a 12-13 win team if somehow some of the rookies just break out, the team stays healthy, other teams turn out to be worse than we thought they would be, and the new coaching staff also just gels. But realistically all of that is NOT going to happen.

Taking off my blue and green glasses this is what I see as factors to consider:

- The team ended last year at 9 wins and then this is the off-season we're looking at:
    - Loss of several probowl (and in some cases All-Pro) caliber players on both sides of the ball : Sherman, Avril, Chancellor (I don't think he's playing), Bennett, Graham, Richardson.
    - No rookies really broke out last year (I can't think of one, can you?) to make us think "oh we'll be fine so and so is gone" like how we thought the Hawks would be fine when Rawls looked amazing to replace Lynch
    - Arguably the worst O-Line didn't look to be getting any better towards the end of the year, a new coach is a wild card, and its not like they drafted anyone or spent money on a quality FA in this area.
    - Arguably your best defensive player (outside of Wagner) is having contract issues and may be unmotivated to play and/or hold out creating more drama within the team. (deny it all you want, just like we denied the drama with previous years and turns out a lot of it was true)
    - Anything "GOOD" coming out of the off season, I see it taking at least 2 years to come to fruition...that's not next season
    - top the above with the Rams will still kick ass, and the Niners look ready to break out themselves.

That all being said. Can this team win 12-13 games, of course it can. But it's not insulting to believe they may wind up a 6 win team in the end. The Hawks mortgaged the future for the win another SB now teams the past few years that did NOT pan out. This is the result.
    ZagHawk
    NET Veteran

Next

It is currently Thu May 24, 2018 5:26 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information