Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

The Ethan Pocic Transformation

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
The Ethan Pocic Transformation
Tue May 15, 2018 6:50 am
  • I don't know. From everything I read during the off-season, I was expecting a little more of a George Fant transformation. Aside from his gut, I'm not seeing a lot of difference physique wise. Hopefully he improved his strength significantly and makes a big jump this year. We need him.

King Dog
    NET Veteran

Re: The Ethan Pocic Transformation
Tue May 15, 2018 7:13 am
  • Arms & legs are noticeably thicker. He still has time to convert fat into good weight. He struggled last year to hold his ground. Hopefully the added weight will help him not be overpowered. He’s the favorite to win the starting Left Guard position entering his 2nd year. The other options at that spot are Jordan Roos (somewhat of a fan favorite because of his athleticism), 3rd-year LT/LG Rees Odhiambo, and rookie Jamarco Jones.
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

Tue May 15, 2018 7:16 am
  • I agree that picture doesn't do him much justice.

Let's see how he looks in preseason.
    www.hawk-talk.com

Richard Sherman wrote:People look forward to writing us off. Our demise was greatly overstated.
    original poster
    * NET Moderator *

Tue May 15, 2018 7:48 am
  • I'm kind of hoping that someone like Beavers steps up. He had great scouting reports coming out, good size, length, and athleticism. Entering his 3rd season, the game should be slowing down for him.

Isaiah Battle is interesting to me since we gave up a draft pick to get him from the Chiefs. 6'7" and 290 though? Get this man a cheeseburger. I think he must have edited his wikipedia page himself as it says 350 lbs, but everywhere else on the net says 290 :)
    King Dog
    NET Veteran

Tue May 15, 2018 7:52 am
  • Battle has gained a lot of weight since his rookie season. He looks around 325 lbs now I would guess. Has very quick, nimble footwork but doesn’t finish many blocks and has struggled to improve as a run blocker, even with the added weight. He could be a dark horse to make the roster if he improves technique and physicality under Solari.
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

Tue May 15, 2018 7:57 am
  • Even seahawks.com has him at 290 lbs. Shouldn't surprise me though. Joey Hunt is listed at 6'2" (lol).
    King Dog
    NET Veteran

Tue May 15, 2018 8:13 am
  • What is the basis of the posts saying this pic does him no justice? Are there better pics showing this is not representative of how he looks today? :?:
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

Tue May 15, 2018 8:22 am
  • Earl's thighs are too big. It is making him slow.
    Smellyman
    NET Veteran

Tue May 15, 2018 8:24 am
  • Smellyman wrote:Earl's thighs are too big. It is making him slow.

Yep and Penny's are too thin and they will snap like a twig. :roll:
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

Tue May 15, 2018 8:45 am
  • Smellyman wrote:Earl's thighs are too big. It is making him slow.

Trade Russell Wilson.
    www.hawk-talk.com

Richard Sherman wrote:People look forward to writing us off. Our demise was greatly overstated.
    original poster
    * NET Moderator *

Tue May 15, 2018 8:50 am
  • original poster wrote:
    Smellyman wrote:Earl's thighs are too big. It is making him slow.

Trade Russell Wilson.

And Fire Bevell!!

"Shaquem Griffin tells ESPN after he got drafted by Seattle; 'I can't breathe.' That's the only time you'll hear him say he can't do something." - Dan Wetzel via Twitter.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Tue May 15, 2018 8:54 am
  • Earl is slow? :34853_doh:
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

Tue May 15, 2018 8:56 am
  • I guess I'm still in the minority. He's the one guy I hope isn't the choice and my least favorite draft pick of recent years.
    purpleneer
    NET Starter

Tue May 15, 2018 10:01 am
  • SoulfishHawk wrote:Earl is slow? :34853_doh:

If you have never had a joke go over your head; it just happened.
    TransGenderHawkFan
    NET Starter

Tue May 15, 2018 10:14 am
  • TransGenderHawkFan wrote:
    SoulfishHawk wrote:Earl is slow? :34853_doh:

It wasn't a joke. Someone actually said that last year when Earl was rehabbing, and it was stated again sarcastically.
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

Tue May 15, 2018 10:25 am
  • Yep, was funny then, and is still funny :lol:
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

Tue May 15, 2018 10:26 am
  • purpleneer wrote:I guess I'm still in the minority. He's the one guy I hope isn't the choice and my least favorite draft pick of recent years.

Worse than McDowell, Prosise or Ifedi?

At least Pocic is on the field and playing sorta kinda well..............these stiffs either didn't even play, barely played or we wished they weren't playing.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Tue May 15, 2018 10:53 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    purpleneer wrote:I guess I'm still in the minority. He's the one guy I hope isn't the choice and my least favorite draft pick of recent years.

At least Pocic is on the field and playing sorta kinda well..............these stiffs either didn't even play, barely played or we wished they weren't playing.

The only one close is McDowell, and he was at least a swing for the fences. It was a risk that didn't pay off, but not like it was really beyond the risk continually made in guys like Big Ben and Gronk, who have been as reckless at ages when their maturity should be much stronger.
    purpleneer
    NET Starter

Tue May 15, 2018 11:04 am
  • Patience Grasshopper

Ethan Pocic with 11 starts at age 22 coming off his first year.

Battle hardened Justin Britt with 63 starts at age 26 going into his fifth season in the system.

This is going to be a year of visible progress and encouragement. :2thumbs:
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

Tue May 15, 2018 11:23 am
  • It's good that he set out to get stronger, but there are risks with adding 20 pounds in a short span. For his own sake, he needs to cool it with the heavy lifting and concentrate on functionally strengthening stabilizers and ligaments while trying to maintain flexibility and such before training camp. I said the same thing about Fant last year. Granted, he got rolled up on, but the same still applies.
    vin.couve12
    .NET Poster of the Month

Tue May 15, 2018 11:40 am
  • Jville wrote:Patience Grasshopper

Ethan Pocic with 11 starts at age 22 coming off his first year.

Battle hardened Justin Britt with 63 starts at age 26 going into his fifth season in the system.

This is going to be a year of visible progress and encouragement. :2thumbs:

LMAO....too bad "Master" is blind as a bat!! :lol: :lol:

Seymour
    NET Veteran

Tue May 15, 2018 12:12 pm
  • purpleneer wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    purpleneer wrote:I guess I'm still in the minority. He's the one guy I hope isn't the choice and my least favorite draft pick of recent years.

The only one close is McDowell, and he was at least a swing for the fences. It was a risk that didn't pay off, but not like it was really beyond the risk continually made in guys like Big Ben and Gronk, who have been as reckless at ages when their maturity should be much stronger.

idk, in a draft that was bereft of above average O-line talent after the first round, not sure what direction you wanted us to go if you didn't like the Pocic pick.

He's high motor, high character, versatile (guard/center) and can be a good lineman for 10 years.

Especially on team DESPERATE for O-line stability and depth, I'm fine with Pocic.........especially if we're talking "least favorite pick of recent years."

McDowell's a major bust, Ifedi's terrible 60% of the time and Prosise trips over his own shadow and ends up on the IR.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Tue May 15, 2018 12:30 pm
  • I don't understand not liking the Pocic pick, I don't think he was a reach and played at a pretty decent level for a rookie that needed to bulk up. He was technique-wise the most polished lineman in the country coming out of LSU, which meant he regularly played against great competition, and allowed a ridiculously low number of sacks and QB pressures across three different positions IIRC.

I think he could be one of our most reliable and safest o-line picks since Okung.
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

Tue May 15, 2018 12:58 pm
  • JGfromtheNW wrote:I don't understand not liking the Pocic pick, I don't think he was a reach and played at a pretty decent level for a rookie that needed to bulk up. He was technique-wise the most polished lineman in the country coming out of LSU, which meant he regularly played against great competition, and allowed a ridiculously low number of sacks and QB pressures across three different positions IIRC.

I think he could be one of our most reliable and safest o-line picks since Okung.

Not saying much since he and Britt are the only O-line picks since Okung that haven't flat out stunk...........but I agree. I like me some Pocic, I think with a Solari style run blocking scheme he's going to be just fine, maybe even great.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Tue May 15, 2018 1:20 pm
  • I think another year with better coaching will really help Pocic, as well as the added weight. At least we all hope so.

It was underrated how bad he was last year. I think we just wanted to believe he was doing better than he was. I know I certainly did, but I was looking at a cutup of negative rushing plays and another of sacks and Pocic was as culpable as anyone on the line. There was a poster here responding to Ifedi criticism who showed some stats indicating Pocic was just as bad. That's why I would've been happy with us taking a guard with our first pick in this draft. I don't think RW has had good pass protecting guards since he's been here and that's hurt us.
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran

Tue May 15, 2018 1:37 pm
  • JGfromtheNW wrote:I don't understand not liking the Pocic pick, I don't think he was a reach and played at a pretty decent level for a rookie that needed to bulk up. He was technique-wise the most polished lineman in the country coming out of LSU, which meant he regularly played against great competition, and allowed a ridiculously low number of sacks and QB pressures across three different positions IIRC.

AND. I think that a lot of people here are forgetting that Cable was his Coach last year, I'm hoping that Solari will fix not only Pocic, but a few others that were having struggles getting their shit together under Cable's tutelage.
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran

Tue May 15, 2018 1:54 pm
  • We gotta stop "fat shaming" 2nd year lineman trying to gain weight in the off-season. :lol:

I don't even think it would be bad if Pocic didn't start this year. Roos was looking really good at the end of last year. Pocic could be a good swiss army knife/backup center/utility lineman, whom we can just plug in when the inevitable injury occurs.
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

Tue May 15, 2018 2:28 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    JGfromtheNW wrote:I don't understand not liking the Pocic pick, I don't think he was a reach and played at a pretty decent level for a rookie that needed to bulk up. He was technique-wise the most polished lineman in the country coming out of LSU, which meant he regularly played against great competition, and allowed a ridiculously low number of sacks and QB pressures across three different positions IIRC.

Not saying much since he and Britt are the only O-line picks since Okung that haven't flat out stunk...........but I agree. I like me some Pocic, I think with a Solari style run blocking scheme he's going to be just fine, maybe even great.

Oh I totally agree, it's not like we've hit our line picks outta the park or anything. I just think Pocic is probably the "safest" out of all picks in recent years because he was actually a relatively well developed lineman coming outta school vs. the project after project set up to fail under Cable that Hawks fans have become accustomed to. I have no doubt that he'll be functionally stronger over the next couple years and I think he'll end up being a very good player by the time he's up for extension.
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

Tue May 15, 2018 5:25 pm
  • adeltaY wrote:I think another year with better coaching will really help Pocic, as well as the added weight. At least we all hope so.

It was underrated how bad he was last year. I think we just wanted to believe he was doing better than he was. I know I certainly did, but I was looking at a cutup of negative rushing plays and another of sacks and Pocic was as culpable as anyone on the line. There was a poster here responding to Ifedi criticism who showed some stats indicating Pocic was just as bad. That's why I would've been happy with us taking a guard with our first pick in this draft. I don't think RW has had good pass protecting guards since he's been here and that's hurt us.

This, except I'd put him low on the list of how much the coaching change will help.
    purpleneer
    NET Starter

Tue May 15, 2018 5:46 pm
  • Relax guys. Granted, it is only one pic but Ethan looks just fine for being 6 months prego.
    LudwigsDrummer
    US Navy Air VP 56 `74-`78

Tue May 15, 2018 6:06 pm
  • Seymour wrote:
    TransGenderHawkFan wrote:
    SoulfishHawk wrote:Earl is slow? :34853_doh:

It wasn't a joke. Someone actually said that last year when Earl was rehabbing, and it was stated again sarcastically.

I remember. I was referring to the sarcasm as a joke.
    TransGenderHawkFan
    NET Starter

Tue May 15, 2018 6:08 pm
  • LudwigsDrummer wrote:Relax guys. Granted, it is only one pic but Ethan looks just fine for being 6 months prego.

I heard that he was already in labor with a baby elephant, and that the trunk & ears were already hanging out :P
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran

Tue May 15, 2018 6:17 pm
  • Well Cable took the most technically sound lineman in the draft and managed to make him worse at the end of the year then he was in Pre Season.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Tue May 15, 2018 6:44 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:[

idk, in a draft that was bereft of above average O-line talent after the first round, not sure what direction you wanted us to go if you didn't like the Pocic pick.

He's high motor, high character, versatile (guard/center) and can be a good lineman for 10 years.

Especially on team DESPERATE for O-line stability and depth, I'm fine with Pocic.........especially if we're talking "least favorite pick of recent years."

McDowell's a major bust, Ifedi's terrible 60% of the time and Prosise trips over his own shadow and ends up on the IR.

My plan would have included going into the draft without Cable, but assuming that still wasn't happening yet, I would have preferred one less trade down earlier to take Cam Robinson at 34. Either way, I'd probably have gone with Jordan Willis at 58. The list of OL I liked better than Pocic available there or later includes: Dawkins, Elflein, Feeney, Garcia, 2 Johnsons, Siragusa, and more. I just don't see the quality of football player you do in Pocic and I see issues in Ifedi that are far more fixable.
    purpleneer
    NET Starter

Tue May 15, 2018 6:52 pm

I think the issue that most people had was picking a center for an O-line that ONE player that didn’t need to be replaced.....

So it was more a dislike in picking a backup for Britt vs picking a starter for the rest of the O-line
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

Tue May 15, 2018 7:04 pm
  • LudwigsDrummer wrote:Relax guys. Granted, it is only one pic but Ethan looks just fine for being 6 months prego.

haha
    King Dog
    NET Veteran

Tue May 15, 2018 7:33 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:Well Cable took the most technically sound lineman in the draft and managed to make him worse at the end of the year then he was in Pre Season.

Of course. That been his specialty 4+ years running. He ruins good linemen, and takes 3 years to make bottom of 32 on the rest. Good luck Gruden! :mrgreen:
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

Tue May 15, 2018 10:17 pm
  • I think I remember this right... Dave Wyman quoted Bill Parcells saying that "Chuck Knox is the guy that TOUGH players want to play for!"

And then he said when I think of tough football players, the first name that comes to mind is Ethan Pocic. All he says is "I just want to play football."

I took this to mean that Pocic isn't about fame and money, but just wants to punish and slobberknock people.

He NEEDS to be on the offensive line. I would like to see Duane Brown, DJ Fluker, Justin Britt, Germaine Ifedi, and Ethan Pocic. And then just leave them there! Jesus Jones on a motorcycle! Enough rotating guys that can't even play the position they are starting!

But I believe our running game is going to make huge improvements this year. And it will be because of Solari, Rashaad Penny, a healthy Chris Carson, and a steady offensive line consisting of the aforementioned players. No more Cute Cable Cock and Bull!

AHHH!!! This is going to bug me until we hit 4 yards per carry. I think the frustration stems from seeing things that work year and year out, simple stuff, being replaced by nonsense that even fans can recognize is BS. Ray Roberts couldn't get over how the linemen got worse once they got here Duane Brown's play deteriorated in Cable's "system."

It's okay, I'll survive, thanks to Penny in the 1st :)
    "God Bless the Seattle Seahawks" Cortez Kennedy

http://ivotuk.com/
    ivotuk
    * NET Moderator *

Tue May 15, 2018 10:25 pm
  • . The Parade High School All-American enrolled at LSU a semester early, and it paid off when he played in six games the following fall, starting once.

He got the full-time gig in 2014, lining up nine games at right guard and three more in the pivot.

Pocic received second-team all-conference recognition as a junior, leading the Tigers in knockdowns with 132.5 in just 12 games.

He finished off his career with a first-team All-SEC nod in 2016, as well as multiple second and third-team All-American honors.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/eth ... id=2557891

The thing that worries me though, he was 310# at the combine, and the Seahawks list him at 309? My guess, they won't update those weights until training camp starts.
    "God Bless the Seattle Seahawks" Cortez Kennedy

http://ivotuk.com/
    ivotuk
    * NET Moderator *

Tue May 15, 2018 11:09 pm
  • ivotuk wrote:I think I remember this right... Dave Wyman quoted Bill Parcells saying that "Chuck Knox is the guy that TOUGH players want to play for!"

And then he said when I think of tough football players, the first name that comes to mind is Ethan Pocic. All he says is "I just want to play football."

I took this to mean that Pocic isn't about fame and money, but just wants to punish and slobberknock people.

He NEEDS to be on the offensive line. I would like to see Duane Brown, DJ Fluker, Justin Britt, Germaine Ifedi, and Ethan Pocic. And then just leave them there! Jesus Jones on a motorcycle! Enough rotating guys that can't even play the position they are starting!

But I believe our running game is going to make huge improvements this year. And it will be because of Solari, Rashaad Penny, a healthy Chris Carson, and a steady offensive line consisting of the aforementioned players. No more Cute Cable Cock and Bull!

AHHH!!! This is going to bug me until we hit 4 yards per carry. I think the frustration stems from seeing things that work year and year out, simple stuff, being replaced by nonsense that even fans can recognize is BS. Ray Roberts couldn't get over how the linemen got worse once they got here Duane Brown's play deteriorated in Cable's "system."

It's okay, I'll survive, thanks to Penny in the 1st :)

:2thumbs:
    Will Dissly
    2018 Adopt a rookie
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed May 16, 2018 12:04 am
  • Pocic was awful last season, but you have to give him a chance since he was playing under Cable. Cable even managed to make Duane Brown look pedestrian.
    pittpnthrs
    NET Veteran

Wed May 16, 2018 9:55 am
  • ivotuk wrote:

But what if Jordan Roos, AKA Creature Man, is better?

hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

Wed May 16, 2018 12:23 pm
  • hawknation2018 wrote:
    ivotuk wrote:

If Roos is clearly better? Start Roos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    ++ You can call me a homer, but I am not the only one ++
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    toffee
    NET Veteran

Wed May 16, 2018 12:34 pm
  • ivotuk wrote:....Jesus Jones on a motorcycle! Enough rotating guys....

Glad to hear "he" got off his crutch! :twisted:
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

Wed May 16, 2018 12:47 pm
  • Generally speaking, the measurables I take the most seriously for linemen besides standard weight/height/arm length are broad jump (best measure of explosiveness off the line), bench press (factoring in arm length), 10-yard split (linemen aren't running 40 yards downfield), and 3-cone drill (basic agility).

Taking those into consideration, Roos is probably the best athlete we have on the offensive line, aside from possibly George Fant. Roos had 41 bench press reps with 33'' arms, went 10 yards in sub-three seconds, and posted an excellent 7.47 3-cone at 6'3.5, 302 lbs.

His broad jump wasn't very good (8'10"). It was about the same as Pocic's (8'11"). The main differences between the two were Pocic is longer, while Roos is a lot stronger and more agile. Roos was a steady four-year starter at guard, while Pocic mainly played center, plus a couple games at other positions.
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

Wed May 16, 2018 12:55 pm
  • King Dog wrote:I don't know. From everything I read during the off-season, I was expecting a little more of a George Fant transformation. Aside from his gut, I'm not seeing a lot of difference physique wise. Hopefully he improved his strength significantly and makes a big jump this year. We need him.

You do realize that what Fant did is considered remarkable and very uncommon (outside of using steroids) right ?

So you're disappointed that a 2nd year player didn't accomplish something completely remarkable ? Sounds like the typical Hawks fan. :34853_doh:

I'd be happy if he shows a league average amount of improvement over last year, and can anchor and hold blocks. He'd already be better than 60% of the OL out there at that point. And it doesn't have to be remarkable, or unrealistic.
    Hawks46
    NET Veteran

Wed May 16, 2018 8:28 pm
  • Hawks46 wrote:
    King Dog wrote:I don't know. From everything I read during the off-season, I was expecting a little more of a George Fant transformation. Aside from his gut, I'm not seeing a lot of difference physique wise. Hopefully he improved his strength significantly and makes a big jump this year. We need him.

You do realize that what Fant did is considered remarkable and very uncommon (outside of using steroids) right ?

So you're disappointed that a 2nd year player didn't accomplish something completely remarkable ? Sounds like the typical Hawks fan. :34853_doh:

I'd be happy if he shows a league average amount of improvement over last year, and can anchor and hold blocks. He'd already be better than 60% of the OL out there at that point. And it doesn't have to be remarkable, or unrealistic.

Not to mention he could be a crap load stronger with much better stamina. That pic says nothing.
    Smellyman
    NET Veteran

Thu May 17, 2018 8:57 am
  • hawknation2018 wrote:Generally speaking, the measurables I take the most seriously for linemen besides standard weight/height/arm length are broad jump (best measure of explosiveness off the line), bench press (factoring in arm length), 10-yard split (linemen aren't running 40 yards downfield), and 3-cone drill (basic agility).

Taking those into consideration, Roos is probably the best athlete we have on the offensive line, aside from possibly George Fant. Roos had 41 bench press reps with 33'' arms, went 10 yards in sub-three seconds, and posted an excellent 7.47 3-cone at 6'3.5, 302 lbs.

His broad jump wasn't very good (8'10"). It was about the same as Pocic's (8'11"). The main differences between the two were Pocic is longer, while Roos is a lot stronger and more agile. Roos was a steady four-year starter at guard, while Pocic mainly played center, plus a couple games at other positions.

I agree with you.

But the first play that comes to mind about the bolded part above is Beastquake. I realize it's a rare event, but blockers certainly get down field a bit, and especially if there's a turnover. Speed isn't irrelevant.
    NET Veteran

Thu May 17, 2018 10:50 pm
  • toffee wrote:
    hawknation2018 wrote:
    ivotuk wrote:

What does he look like! :lol: :lol:
    www.hawk-talk.com

original poster
    * NET Moderator *

Fri May 18, 2018 1:54 pm
  • original poster wrote:
    toffee wrote:
    hawknation2018 wrote:
    ivotuk wrote:

What does he look like! :lol: :lol:

Joey looks small...
    I still get chills when I watch the Beastquake run. "Are you kidding me?!!!"
    Clayfighter
    NET Rookie

Next

It is currently Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:26 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information