Summer talk: Odhiambo’s potential and issues.

toffee

Reaction score
Anyone care to talk about potential of Rees? Apparently he measured well but hasn’t play well. Was it skills or Cable?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chris98251

Reaction score
I don't think you can pick out one player and say good or bad at this point, I think were in the wait and see what a new coach can do with talent that was projected to have some good attributes coming out of the draft or as a F.A. that was coached by someone that tried to make them something they were not.

Unfortunately this does not add to trying to generate a conversation topic since we have a chalk board full of bad formulas written on it that has to be erased and started over.

sdog1981

Reaction score
Cable kiss of death. Over the next three years expect a 100% turnover along the Oline. The team will back to drafting guards to play guard and tackles to play tackle.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
It will be interesting to compare and contrast the Hawks and Raiders offensive lines this season.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Odhiambo wasn't good in his stint at LT last season, but remember that he was thrown into the role at the last minute due to the Fant injury, it was his first NFL start at any position, and he was playing alongside a newcomer in Joeckel with very little coordination between the two. Odhiambo's 2017 wasn't any worse than Fant's 2016 season and he still only has 8 starts or so under his belt. Finally, availability is underrated and finishing out that game where he bruised his sternum was a big plus in his favor. In my opinion him finishing the season on IR was mostly because they picked up Brown.

It's also only natural that relatively unknown commodities like Roos and Battle will garner more hype from the fan base. Sort of like how the backup QB is the most popular player on any losing football team right up until he gets put into a game, and then the 3rd string QB becomes the most popular player on the team.

JerHawk81

Reaction score
He was my adopt a rookie a couple years ago, and I've tried to follow him since.

IMO: Rees is a pure guard. He doesn't have the athleticism or length to play at tackle, and judging his long-term potential based on his play at LT probably wouldn't be fair.

When he plays at guard, his play has still been below average, but less embarrassing. With that said, I still say that he has potential as a legit starter. His strength is adequate, but he doesn't have the power to move big DL. His quickness is actually pretty good - though it's only short-area quickness... he shuffles well from block to block, but isn't great in space (including chasing down a LB).

His technique has been hard to judge. In year 1, he looked a bit lost, and I often thought that he regressed that year. If blocking in the pros is that much different from blocking in college, his rookie year was simply him relearning the basics. He didn't look great.

I thought he looked better at guard in 2017. He doesn't seem to win a lot of battles, but also doesn't lose a lot either.

I really do think that if he can get his mind in the right place, that he can be a legit starter. But, I also haven't seen the power from him to make me think he can press for a starting job on a team trying to be a power running team.

Seymour

Reaction score
Odhiambo is one of the strongest guys on the team. That is one of his big assets. Here is a common assessment of him coming out of college before Fable began his curse on him.

On the slightly negative side though there wasn’t a clear edge to Odhimabo’s play and you’d love to see him knocking some helmet’s like we saw from Shon Coleman at Auburn. At tackle he’s a bit of a lunger and he sometimes overextends. Moving him inside will limit some of his weaknesses and bring out his power/agility.

To that extent he’s an exciting project for Tom Cable. He’s big, strong and mobile. Everything you hear about him suggests he’s a quick learner, he’s intelligent and a good worker. There’s no real pressure for him to start immediately (Mark Glowsinki appears to be pencilled in at left guard) and in a years time he could be really pushing to be the long term answer at that position.

Even though he’s better suited inside — like Ifedi he also has some swing-tackle benefits.

The key is health. He’s missed at least four games in each of the last three seasons. Injuries have been an issue for the Seahawks O-line in the past due to the physical nature of the scheme and their running style.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
I don't think Rees has shown anything over the last 2 years to give anyone confidence that he'll become a quality starter. He was bad at Tackle and bad at guard.

Though it's curious people are giving him a pass, making excuses like "He's still learning, or he was thrown into a new position. He was a 3rd round pick and looked completely overwhelmed for most of the last 2 years. Curiously Ifedi, gets none of that courtesy from this board despite starting for 2 years (That's at least something). I would argue Ifedi has been a better player thus far in their careers. Yet it's Ifedi whose constantly being thrown under the bus.

I think Rees is a backup again this year-- Pocic will win the starting LG job, and he'll have a hard time making the team next year.

AgentDib

Reaction score
jlwaters1":1et8htiw said:
Curiously Ifedi, gets none of that courtesy from this board despite starting for 2 years (That's at least something). I would argue Ifedi has been a better player thus far in their careers. Yet it's Ifedi whose constantly being thrown under the bus.
Obviously Ifedi should also improve with experience. It's not the same people who are making both arguments.

The biggest issue our OL has faced recently is having so many players with no experience at the position they are playing. The second biggest issue is having so many players with no experience playing with the people next to them.

Erebus

Reaction score
toffee":2ili1kfg said:
Anyone care to talk about potential of Rees? Apparently he measured well but hasn’t play well. Was it skills or Cable?

Actually he was the worst-testing o-lineman John, Pete, and Cable ever drafted (until this year). I don't know if you follow Staton's draft blog, but according to the trench explosion formula that he figured out, Odhiambo measured poorly. As far as SPARQ, he was bottom 10% of the league. So based on his measurables and his poor performance, I really don't see much potential. As always when I'm negative about a Seahawk, I hope to be wrong.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Seymour":hzwkq5uf said:
Odhiambo is one of the strongest guys on the team. That is one of his big assets. Here is a common assessment of him coming out of college before Fable began his curse on him.

On the slightly negative side though there wasn’t a clear edge to Odhimabo’s play and you’d love to see him knocking some helmet’s like we saw from Shon Coleman at Auburn. At tackle he’s a bit of a lunger and he sometimes overextends. Moving him inside will limit some of his weaknesses and bring out his power/agility.

To that extent he’s an exciting project for Tom Cable. He’s big, strong and mobile. Everything you hear about him suggests he’s a quick learner, he’s intelligent and a good worker. There’s no real pressure for him to start immediately (Mark Glowsinki appears to be pencilled in at left guard) and in a years time he could be really pushing to be the long term answer at that position.

Even though he’s better suited inside — like Ifedi he also has some swing-tackle benefits.

The key is health. He’s missed at least four games in each of the last three seasons. Injuries have been an issue for the Seahawks O-line in the past due to the physical nature of the scheme and their running style.

Being one of the strongest, perhaps Rees could enjoy success in Solari’s system? Perhaps he could be a rod grader for our running game?

Seymour

Reaction score
toffee":s62t478h said:
Seymour":s62t478h said:

Being one of the strongest, perhaps Rees could enjoy success in Solari’s system? Perhaps he could be a rod grader for our running game?

That was their hope, but hasn't happened yet but I would not count him out either. New game, new leaders, all have a shot. Given what I've seen I give him less than 50/50 personally, but stranger things have happened. :2thumbs:

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Seymour":5lh0osh8 said:
toffee":5lh0osh8 said:
Seymour":5lh0osh8 said:

That was their hope, but hasn't happened yet but I would not count him out either. New game, new leaders, all have a shot. Given what I've seen I give him less than 50/50 personally, but stranger things have happened. :2thumbs:

Cable did identified our guard plays were the roots of our running deficiencies. Of course he wanted Joekel and Lang.

Except Lang didn’t sign and Joekel was a joke. But guards, according to Cable, was the problem.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Although Odhiambo was graded as the worst lineman in the NFL last year and is ranked in the bottom 10% of the NFL in athleticism, I don't feel that he faced that much criticism from the fan base (the real vitriol was reserved almost exclusively for RT/RG Germain Ifedi, due to his unmistakable issue with penalties as an OT). And that's a good thing that Odhiambo has been treated with kid gloves, comparitively. He's doing the best he can, and the name calling helps no one.

In fact, I think internet mob mentality against unpopular players can sometimes be harmful, i.e. Eddie Lacy admitted to being mentally broken by the constant troll attacks on his weight. I'm not happy about Lacy's performance, at all, but what did the childish attacks solve?

As for Odhiambo, he's got a real battle on his hands in fighting for a roster spot against the likes of rookie Jamarco Jones (who has a similar skill set & build, but who is also more physical, more explosive, and more technically consistent), former starting OT George Fant, and second-year OG Jordan Roos, among others.

chris98251

Reaction score
Well as stated above what you all think based on last year is irrelevant now, Cables square peg round hole mentality is not probably going to transition as much, we will see guys playing once again in a different spot but hopefully they will stick there and learn it now.

chris98251

Reaction score
People forget we have ranges of people here from youngsters to old stiffs from all walks of life and education levels. Expression is going to be very different across these differences, why staying on topic and addressing posts without the inflammatory dialogue included is important, once things get personal everything goes sideways almost every time. It's also why we have the Shack !

original poster

Reaction score
chris98251":267vjyjg said:
People forget we have ranges of people here from youngsters to old stiffs from all walks of life and education levels. Expression is going to be very different across these differences, why staying on topic and addressing posts without the inflammatory dialogue included is important, once things get personal everything goes sideways almost every time. It's also why we have the Shack !

This.

original poster

Reaction score
Rees will no doubt be competing for a job but will likely start in the middle to end of the pack in terms of depth chart.

With Solari here now it's going to be a case of evaluating these guys from scratch again and seeing where we stand as camp progresses.

This summer is going to be fantastic to watch, I don't think I've ever been so excited about Pete's press conferences.

Jimjones0384

Reaction score
jlwaters1":32s0p5uz said:
I don't think Rees has shown anything over the last 2 years to give anyone confidence that he'll become a quality starter. He was bad at Tackle and bad at guard.

Though it's curious people are giving him a pass, making excuses like "He's still learning, or he was thrown into a new position. He was a 3rd round pick and looked completely overwhelmed for most of the last 2 years. Curiously Ifedi, gets none of that courtesy from this board despite starting for 2 years (That's at least something). I would argue Ifedi has been a better player thus far in their careers. Yet it's Ifedi whose constantly being thrown under the bus.

I think Rees is a backup again this year-- Pocic will win the starting LG job, and he'll have a hard time making the team next year.

Bad at guard? What evidence do you have of this? I remember reading how odi was looking great at guard, the potential starter, then the Fant injury happened. I want him to get a good look at guard, and will not be surprised if he becomes the starter over Pocic this year.