Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Summer talk: DJ Fluker’s potential and issues

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13

• At this point of the offseason it looks like a logjam at RG/RT. They must feel C to LT is set and the only competition will be on the right side.
    sdog1981
    NET Veteran

• This just indicates we are going with power run, bringing in a guy that is best when he is not thinking so to speak and can just play and do what he does best. Our lineman can just play now mostly, line calls will be more basic and not asking guys to get to areas challenging their raw abilities to perform, they will be in more a comfort zone and so will our offense I hope.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• chris98251 wrote:This just indicates we are going with power run, bringing in a guy that is best when he is not thinking so to speak and can just play and do what he does best. Our lineman can just play now mostly, line calls will be more basic and not asking guys to get to areas challenging their raw abilities to perform, they will be in more a comfort zone and so will our offense I hope.

Fluker did play in a mostly zone blocking system in Bama according to his draft scout report. what system was the chargers when Fluker was there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    toffee
    NET Veteran

• Chargers were and I presume still are primarily a zone team. As I recall, Mike Solari introduced zone principles to the Seahawks when he was here his first time around in the two years prior to Carroll. Fluker is in Seattle because of Solari. The investment in Fluker is limited to $300K prior to the 1st regular season game.

Ironically, big DJ Fluker at right guard would be a direct polar opposite to the very athletic JR Sweezy. At some point in time, I'd like to see better strength/athletic consistency along the line from tackle to tackle. Lots of choices at guard this year. However, I have absolutely no influence on what they decide to do for 2018.
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

• "Western Kentucky’s head coach also made note that Fluker was tipping run or pass by his pre-snap stance, allowing the WKU defense to record six sacks."
    "God Bless the Seattle Seahawks" Cortez Kennedy

http://ivotuk.com/
    ivotuk
    * NET Moderator *

• toffee wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:This just indicates we are going with power run, bringing in a guy that is best when he is not thinking so to speak and can just play and do what he does best. Our lineman can just play now mostly, line calls will be more basic and not asking guys to get to areas challenging their raw abilities to perform, they will be in more a comfort zone and so will our offense I hope.

Fluker did play in a mostly zone blocking system in Bama according to his draft scout report. what system was the chargers when Fluker was there?

There are different types of the Zone scheme, Power Zone is what he was taught which a lot different then the Gibbs scheme which Cable is a advocate of, Gibbs uses smaller quicker guys to take out legs and cut block, Cable used the same scheme but tried to do it with bigger men who are slower or not as agile, why it failed and then add the rules that changed it was crab blocking by big guys that are used to power blocking.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• ivotuk wrote:"Western Kentucky’s head coach also made note that Fluker was tipping run or pass by his pre-snap stance, allowing the WKU defense to record six sacks."

Fluker obviously had some deficiencies in pass blocking, result of slow and heavy feet? If Fluker failed, we will basically the same bunch of linemen as last year,

toffee
    NET Veteran

• toffee wrote:
    ivotuk wrote:"Western Kentucky’s head coach also made note that Fluker was tipping run or pass by his pre-snap stance, allowing the WKU defense to record six sacks."

Fluker obviously had some deficiencies in pass blocking, result of slow and heavy feet? If Fluker failed, we will basically the same bunch of linemen as last year,

Yes and no, a defense isn't going to go off every play if we can also run which gives Fluker a chance to set up better. Play action with a legit running game will hold a defender for a second till he knows if pass or run giving Fluker a chance to position better.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• I think he'll be just fine at right guard now that he's learned the position. He's a big slow footed, powerful guy that can overwhelm DL if he's put in a position to succeed.

I hope, that his long arms can slow down any DT rush, keep their hands down, and be used to pick up stunts.

Solari needs to pay special attention to keeping Fluker in a short area, so that he can pick up stunts without having to think about it

ivotuk
    * NET Moderator *

• It’s been said that our play designs and formations are too simplistic and easy to diagnose. That is difficult enough to overcome as it is. If DJ is out there tipping run / pass on top of that we are hosed. Solari and company had better coach that tendency out of him before they play him because it is a big deal.
    brimsalabim
    NET Veteran

• brimsalabim wrote:It’s been said that our play designs and formations are too simplistic and easy to diagnose. That is difficult enough to overcome as it is. If DJ is out there tipping run / pass on top of that we are hosed. Solari and company had better coach that tendency out of him before they play him because it is a big deal.

Lol, that was college. Have any pro coaches or evaluators said this is an issue with his pro game? He was what, the 17th best run blocker in the league? Kinda hard to believe that he is tipping plays with that ranking. He is a great run blocker, not so much pass blocker. Good thing is, he is young enough to improve, and already has time in Solaris scheme. For the money, great signing.
    Click the link, I dare you! You will love it!!!!
    https://youtu.be/RTycAlWhrt8

https://youtu.be/RaqSNpWDyCc
    Jimjones0384
    NET Veteran

• I hope you are correct. He is a physical monster. He looks like the Hulk. Hulk smash!
    brimsalabim
    NET Veteran

• He should help the running game, and it's clear this team is very focused on running the rock in 2018
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

• SoulfishHawk wrote:He should help the running game, and it's clear this team is very focused on running the rock in 2018

One thing for sure: our OL will get help from TE and FB this season, which is invaluable. Under Cable, we seldom used FB and jimmy was useless when it comes to blocking. So the combination of long draw out plays, Russ likes to hold on to the ball, no TE or FB help in blocking, plus the three amigos ... Ifeldi, Pocic, and Joekle.

This season, I think Fluker is better than Joekle, Ifeldi improve some and hopefully either Pocic also improves or replace by say Roos.

toffee
    NET Veteran

• Fluker consistently graded out better at RT than at guard. Uses length and footwork well in pass pro at RT, compensating for slow feet. Not an explosive north-south road grader, despite his appearance. His strengths as a run blocker come from his footwork and heavy hands, mostly as a RT facing smaller DEs. Struggles to quickly mirror in pass protection when playing guard. Usually, you want a guy with better lateral agility on the outside, but Fluker's length, footwork, heavy hands makes him an exception to the rule. Sticking him at guard would be a mistake, IMO. Strengths are hidden & weaknesses are amplified for him at guard. Bum knee in OTAs was an early warning sign of potential injuries to come.
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

• For the sake of game theory, let's just assume that Fluker is hurt and/or struggles at guard, how do you see the offensive line playing out if this happens?
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

• hawknation2018 wrote:Fluker consistently graded out better at RT than at guard. Uses length and footwork well in pass pro at RT, compensating for slow feet. Not an explosive north-south road grader, despite his appearance. His strengths as a run blocker come from his footwork and heavy hands, mostly as a RT facing smaller DEs. Struggles to quickly mirror in pass protection when playing guard. Usually, you want a guy with better lateral agility on the outside, but Fluker's length, footwork, heavy hands makes him an exception to the rule. Sticking him at guard would be a mistake, IMO. Strengths are hidden & weaknesses are amplified for him at guard. Bum knee in OTAs was an early warning sign of potential injuries to come.

Preseason games will be interesting this year. Quite sure Ifeldi will be under microscope, if he fails, Fluker, Fant or even our rookie may get some snaps.

toffee
    NET Veteran

• hawknation2018 wrote:For the sake of game theory, let's just assume that Fluker is hurt and/or struggles at guard, how do you see the offensive line playing out if this happens?

Wouldn’t be surprise if we go shopping unless both Roos and Pocic are ready to start. Fluker is quite durable if he can improve some on pass protection, he would be a keeper.

toffee
    NET Veteran

• Fluker playing inside limits the negative impact of his pass protection issues

https://www.fieldgulls.com/2018/5/29/17 ... pff-grades

This sentiment is totally wrong, IMO. Fluker's pass protection is much sounder at RT, where he has more time to setup and uses his long wing span to corral rushers.

Fluker's pass pro at guard is a big problem. The shortest path to the QB is through the middle of the field. As a guard, Fluker is too slow off the ball and does not have the instincts to mirror rushers inside. Some of the best rushers the Seahawks will face this season are interior rushers.
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

• hawknation2018 wrote:
    Fluker playing inside limits the negative impact of his pass protection issues

This sentiment is totally wrong, IMO. Fluker's pass protection is much sounder at RT, where he has more time to setup and uses his long wing span to corral rushers.

Fluker's pass pro at guard is a big problem. The shortest path to the QB is through the middle of the field. As a guard, Fluker is too slow off the ball and does not have the instincts to mirror rushers inside. Some of the best rushers the Seahawks will face this season are interior rushers.

Leaving that judgement to Solaris, dude coached OL for decades, and he hand picked Fluker.

toffee
    NET Veteran

• toffee wrote:
    hawknation2018 wrote:

Leaving that judgement to Solaris, dude coached OL for decades, and he hand picked Fluker.

Yeah and we have seen hand picked guys here before just as a reference, not that I am doubting the guy in his first year as O line Coach.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Interesting physique, built to push DE or LB to the right.

toffee
    NET Veteran

• toffee wrote:
    hawknation2018 wrote:

The only reason I can think of to stick Fluker at guard is if you believe we have a better option at RT. But if you think having Ifedi at RT is like trying to fit a square peg into a round hole, then I'm concerned.

The notion of "continuity," even when what you have was failing, is bizarre to me. Switching horses midstream is another challenge because it requires getting guys up to speed at new positions.

I'm more excited about what we have going on the left side of the line with Pro Bowler Duane Brown at LT, 2nd years Pocic or Roos at LG, and former Pro Bowl alternate Justin Britt at C. In general, I think Russell does a better job adjusting to the pressure from the right side (as he did with Britt at RT in 2014 or Gilliam at RT in 2015).
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

• Sounds like a RG to me. Mmmmmm. Love me some pancakes.

The Giants averaged 25 yards more per game when he was in the lineup at Guard last season (5 of best 6 rushing outputs of the season with him in the lineup).

From ESPN:

"Fluker, 26, is now expected to reap the benefits. He’s set to become a free agent next week in a weak offensive line class. Surely, there is a market for a mauling right guard who can displace defenders and also flashed improvement as a pass blocker.

The Giants originally said Fluker was being viewed as a right-side player. He would get a chance at right tackle and guard. But they came to realize that he was best suited for guard. It plays to his strengths and doesn't leave him on an island as a pass blocker."

nj.com

"The Giants are averaging 130.3 yards rushing in the three games since Fluker entered the lineup. Offensive coordinator Mike Sullivan said Fluker's pancake blocks give the team a spark."
    King Dog
    NET Veteran

• King Dog wrote:Sounds like a RG to me. Mmmmmm. Love me some pancakes.

The Giants averaged 25 yards more per game when he was in the lineup at Guard last season (5 of best 6 rushing outputs of the season with him in the lineup.

"The Giants are averaging 130.3 yards rushing in the three games since Fluker entered the lineup. Offensive coordinator Mike Sullivan said Fluker's pancake blocks give the team a spark."

Man, if we could have 130 rushing yards per game ....

toffee
    NET Veteran

• toffee wrote:
    King Dog wrote:Sounds like a RG to me. Mmmmmm. Love me some pancakes.

The Giants averaged 25 yards more per game when he was in the lineup at Guard last season (5 of best 6 rushing outputs of the season with him in the lineup.

That would be a huge improvement I think Pete would like closer to 180 to 200 overall not including Wilsons scrambles, if we can find a middle ground Wilson should be more upright and the defense more rested.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• King Dog wrote:Sounds like a RG to me. Mmmmmm. Love me some pancakes.

hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

• Everything I've read from draft profiles to NFL reviews says that quick footed DEs eat him alive. Imagine him at RT vs Von Miller.

He's needs to stay inside where he's had the most success.

ivotuk
    * NET Moderator *

• chris98251 wrote:
    toffee wrote:
    King Dog wrote:Sounds like a RG to me. Mmmmmm. Love me some pancakes.

That would be a huge improvement I think Pete would like closer to 180 to 200 overall not including Wilsons scrambles, if we can find a middle ground Wilson should be more upright and the defense more rested.

If we can run consistently, opposing defense would have to respect our run game. That itself will make Wilson’s job a bit easier.

toffee
    NET Veteran

• ivotuk wrote:Everything I've read from draft profiles to NFL reviews says that quick footed DEs eat him alive. Imagine him at RT vs Von Miller.

He's needs to stay inside where he's had the most success.

He hasn't had success inside. His pass protection has been better against those quicker DEs because he uses his length/footwork pretty well on the outside. On the inside, Fluker just gets eaten alive on the regular.
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

• He's not going to be an amazing pickup, and he doesn't have to be. If he can be a 6/10 mauling run guard instead of 2/10 at everything, like Joeckel, it'll be an improvement.
    GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

• RG could be Fluker’s spot to lose. RIP Jordan Roos. J/K

D.J. Fluker, limited for much of OTAs with a knee issue, got some significant work with the first-team line at right guard. The rest of the starting OL was as it has been throughout OTAs — left tackle Duane Brown, left guard Ethan Pocic, center Justin Britt and right tackle Germain Ifedi. Intriguingly, when Fluker did get some rest, his replacement at right guard with the first team was typically Willie Beavers and not Jordan Roos, who had filled that role during most of OTAs. Beavers signed as a free agent last year and spent time on the practice squad but was a fourth-round pick of the Vikings in 2016 and appeared in two games that year for Minnesota.

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/sea ... m-defense/
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

• toffee wrote:Image

Interesting physique, built to push DE or LB to the right.

Do night fight this man.
    bmorepunk
    NET Veteran

• LOL. DJ Fluker aka John Coffee.

Seymour
    NET Veteran

• What I want to see as the O LINE.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• Seymour wrote:LOL. DJ Fluker aka John Coffee.

Hanks’ a 6 footer, David Mose’ 6’4”, and Duncan was 6’5”. In the movie, and this pic. Coffee sure looked over a footer.

toffee
    NET Veteran

• hawknation2018 wrote:RG could be Fluker’s spot to lose. RIP Jordan Roos. J/K

D.J. Fluker, limited for much of OTAs with a knee issue, got some significant work with the first-team line at right guard. The rest of the starting OL was as it has been throughout OTAs — left tackle Duane Brown, left guard Ethan Pocic, center Justin Britt and right tackle Germain Ifedi. Intriguingly, when Fluker did get some rest, his replacement at right guard with the first team was typically Willie Beavers and not Jordan Roos, who had filled that role during most of OTAs. Beavers signed as a free agent last year and spent time on the practice squad but was a fourth-round pick of the Vikings in 2016 and appeared in two games that year for Minnesota.

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/sea ... m-defense/

The other spots are pretty set. I wonder if this was more to determine what we have in Beavers and if he should be on the team or not.
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

• One reason I hope Roos earn the job over Fluker . . .

hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

• Pete's renewed emphasis on the run game has me feeling that the RG spot is Fluker's to lose. Knock on him is pass blocking and he is supposed to be a solid run blocker. Solari chose him and he is a low cost hire. I bet Solari knows if he can coach him up.
    LudwigsDrummer
    US Navy Air VP 56 `74-`78

• hawknation2018 wrote:One reason I hope Roos earn the job over Fluker . . .

Pete did talk up Roos some last off season, not this off season. At this point no sure if Roos will have a future with the Hawks.

toffee
    NET Veteran

• Once again, the memories of impatience are reflected in the premature naming of a starting lineup.

The historical testament is that the starting lineup will not be named for many weeks to come. Annual examples, such as last year's George Fant upset along with other unanticipated outcomes, wreck early roster proclamations. However, many revel in a time of unbridled fan anticipation followed by surprises in disruptions and upsets yet to come. While those who pause and reflect, recall lessons from seasons past that remind us that it is still way too soon to name an opening day 2018 lineup.

We are all unique. So to those who enjoy and revel in an annual ritiual of recipicating anticipation and upset ....... carry on. This is your time and place.
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

It is currently Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:42 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information