Summer talk: DJ Fluker’s potential and issues

toffee

Reaction score
Our OL was our biggest weakness in past two seasons, to fix our OL Pete fired Cable, hired Solaris and signed DJ Fluker which sounded underwhelming and well critiqued by national media.

So who is Fluker that signed for $1.5 (?) mil?

https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/ ... t.amp.html

https://www.boltsfromtheblue.com/platfo ... om-telesco

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2648 ... d-recovery

https://mobile.twitter.com/WCTideFans/s ... 8706468864

https://mobile.twitter.com/BigDuke50/st ... 3489005569

It seems like he is really tough and durable guy that can play with lots of pain, a good teammate. Blocked and pulled well for his size. Got problems with stunk, probably lacking mental quickness or football IQ.

Seems to have size, strength and heart but lacks foot speed so what has been his issues? Is he a slower learner that has yet to realize his true potential?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sdog1981

Reaction score
At this point of the offseason it looks like a logjam at RG/RT. They must feel C to LT is set and the only competition will be on the right side.

chris98251

Reaction score
This just indicates we are going with power run, bringing in a guy that is best when he is not thinking so to speak and can just play and do what he does best. Our lineman can just play now mostly, line calls will be more basic and not asking guys to get to areas challenging their raw abilities to perform, they will be in more a comfort zone and so will our offense I hope.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
chris98251":28484bf8 said:
This just indicates we are going with power run, bringing in a guy that is best when he is not thinking so to speak and can just play and do what he does best. Our lineman can just play now mostly, line calls will be more basic and not asking guys to get to areas challenging their raw abilities to perform, they will be in more a comfort zone and so will our offense I hope.

Fluker did play in a mostly zone blocking system in Bama according to his draft scout report. what system was the chargers when Fluker was there?

Jville

Reaction score
Chargers were and I presume still are primarily a zone team. As I recall, Mike Solari introduced zone principles to the Seahawks when he was here his first time around in the two years prior to Carroll. Fluker is in Seattle because of Solari. The investment in Fluker is limited to $300K prior to the 1st regular season game.

Ironically, big DJ Fluker at right guard would be a direct polar opposite to the very athletic JR Sweezy. At some point in time, I'd like to see better strength/athletic consistency along the line from tackle to tackle. Lots of choices at guard this year. However, I have absolutely no influence on what they decide to do for 2018.

ivotuk

Reaction score
"Western Kentucky’s head coach also made note that Fluker was tipping run or pass by his pre-snap stance, allowing the WKU defense to record six sacks."

chris98251

Reaction score
toffee":1tdn6slb said:
chris98251":1tdn6slb said:

Fluker did play in a mostly zone blocking system in Bama according to his draft scout report. what system was the chargers when Fluker was there?

There are different types of the Zone scheme, Power Zone is what he was taught which a lot different then the Gibbs scheme which Cable is a advocate of, Gibbs uses smaller quicker guys to take out legs and cut block, Cable used the same scheme but tried to do it with bigger men who are slower or not as agile, why it failed and then add the rules that changed it was crab blocking by big guys that are used to power blocking.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
ivotuk":111yf00j said:
"Western Kentucky’s head coach also made note that Fluker was tipping run or pass by his pre-snap stance, allowing the WKU defense to record six sacks."

Fluker obviously had some deficiencies in pass blocking, result of slow and heavy feet? If Fluker failed, we will basically the same bunch of linemen as last year,

chris98251

Reaction score
toffee":2tsq7zjb said:
ivotuk":2tsq7zjb said:

Fluker obviously had some deficiencies in pass blocking, result of slow and heavy feet? If Fluker failed, we will basically the same bunch of linemen as last year,

Yes and no, a defense isn't going to go off every play if we can also run which gives Fluker a chance to set up better. Play action with a legit running game will hold a defender for a second till he knows if pass or run giving Fluker a chance to position better.

ivotuk

Reaction score
I think he'll be just fine at right guard now that he's learned the position. He's a big slow footed, powerful guy that can overwhelm DL if he's put in a position to succeed.

I hope, that his long arms can slow down any DT rush, keep their hands down, and be used to pick up stunts.

Solari needs to pay special attention to keeping Fluker in a short area, so that he can pick up stunts without having to think about it

brimsalabim

Reaction score
It’s been said that our play designs and formations are too simplistic and easy to diagnose. That is difficult enough to overcome as it is. If DJ is out there tipping run / pass on top of that we are hosed. Solari and company had better coach that tendency out of him before they play him because it is a big deal.

Jimjones0384

Reaction score
brimsalabim":qz17dddx said:
It’s been said that our play designs and formations are too simplistic and easy to diagnose. That is difficult enough to overcome as it is. If DJ is out there tipping run / pass on top of that we are hosed. Solari and company had better coach that tendency out of him before they play him because it is a big deal.

Lol, that was college. Have any pro coaches or evaluators said this is an issue with his pro game? He was what, the 17th best run blocker in the league? Kinda hard to believe that he is tipping plays with that ranking. He is a great run blocker, not so much pass blocker. Good thing is, he is young enough to improve, and already has time in Solaris scheme. For the money, great signing.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
I hope you are correct. He is a physical monster. He looks like the Hulk. Hulk smash!

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":3ns2s3yz said:
He should help the running game, and it's clear this team is very focused on running the rock in 2018

One thing for sure: our OL will get help from TE and FB this season, which is invaluable. Under Cable, we seldom used FB and jimmy was useless when it comes to blocking. So the combination of long draw out plays, Russ likes to hold on to the ball, no TE or FB help in blocking, plus the three amigos ... Ifeldi, Pocic, and Joekle.

This season, I think Fluker is better than Joekle, Ifeldi improve some and hopefully either Pocic also improves or replace by say Roos.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Fluker consistently graded out better at RT than at guard. Uses length and footwork well in pass pro at RT, compensating for slow feet. Not an explosive north-south road grader, despite his appearance. His strengths as a run blocker come from his footwork and heavy hands, mostly as a RT facing smaller DEs. Struggles to quickly mirror in pass protection when playing guard. Usually, you want a guy with better lateral agility on the outside, but Fluker's length, footwork, heavy hands makes him an exception to the rule. Sticking him at guard would be a mistake, IMO. Strengths are hidden & weaknesses are amplified for him at guard. Bum knee in OTAs was an early warning sign of potential injuries to come.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
For the sake of game theory, let's just assume that Fluker is hurt and/or struggles at guard, how do you see the offensive line playing out if this happens?

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
hawknation2018":1sajgxy1 said:
Fluker consistently graded out better at RT than at guard. Uses length and footwork well in pass pro at RT, compensating for slow feet. Not an explosive north-south road grader, despite his appearance. His strengths as a run blocker come from his footwork and heavy hands, mostly as a RT facing smaller DEs. Struggles to quickly mirror in pass protection when playing guard. Usually, you want a guy with better lateral agility on the outside, but Fluker's length, footwork, heavy hands makes him an exception to the rule. Sticking him at guard would be a mistake, IMO. Strengths are hidden & weaknesses are amplified for him at guard. Bum knee in OTAs was an early warning sign of potential injuries to come.

Preseason games will be interesting this year. Quite sure Ifeldi will be under microscope, if he fails, Fluker, Fant or even our rookie may get some snaps.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
hawknation2018":1m49euk5 said:
For the sake of game theory, let's just assume that Fluker is hurt and/or struggles at guard, how do you see the offensive line playing out if this happens?

Wouldn’t be surprise if we go shopping unless both Roos and Pocic are ready to start. Fluker is quite durable if he can improve some on pass protection, he would be a keeper.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Fluker playing inside limits the negative impact of his pass protection issues

https://www.fieldgulls.com/2018/5/29/17 ... pff-grades

This sentiment is totally wrong, IMO. Fluker's pass protection is much sounder at RT, where he has more time to setup and uses his long wing span to corral rushers.

Fluker's pass pro at guard is a big problem. The shortest path to the QB is through the middle of the field. As a guard, Fluker is too slow off the ball and does not have the instincts to mirror rushers inside. Some of the best rushers the Seahawks will face this season are interior rushers.