Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Brandon Marshall signing

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Re: Brandon Marshall signing
Tue May 29, 2018 9:02 pm
  • I absolutely love this signing. Top 5 blocking WR in the league. Size to help in red zone. Great route runner. Passionate dude. For 2MM this is fantastic.

If you want to commit to the running game, but have poor blocking WRs, good luck. Hawks are throwing their chips in with the running game- look forward to seeing them move the chains and work back on play action.

"We all we got, we all we need"
    lukerguy
    NET Veteran

Tue May 29, 2018 9:29 pm
  • In my book this is a move with low downside and medium upside. If Marshall can stay healthy then he could give our red zone offense a decent boost and he's one of the best run blocking WRs in the league.

I don't agree with people who are worried about our young receivers getting playing time. This isn't the MLB and we don't have a farm system. If players are not ready to contribute this year then that's too bad, and losing their spot to 2018 Brandon Marshall means they weren't good enough to play for us this year. Most of the young receivers that people are over-hyping are FA's next season anyway and it makes zero sense to prioritize developing them over winning.

I know it was actually a few years back by this point and so people forget, but when Carroll joined the team in 2010 he signed a bunch of experienced veterans to key depth roles. Especially along the defensive line: Raheem Brock, Junior Siavii, Colin Cole, and Craig Terrill were all in that 30-32 range at the time. Lawyer Milloy and Brandon Stokely weren't in anybody's long range plans either with both considering retirement, but Milloy ended up starting the entire season and being a key defensive leader.

I just can't fathom how a Hawks fan can watch the team closely since Carroll's arrival and think that Pete will be doing anything in 2018 other than trying to win as many football games as possible.
    AgentDib
    NET Veteran

Tue May 29, 2018 9:33 pm
  • Years too late but I’m ok with this. He can bring a good option.
    TwilightError
    NET Veteran

Tue May 29, 2018 10:27 pm
  • I'm liking this acquisition with the little risk and possible significant contribution he could have. I just hope it's not a move that's really designed to motivate Darboh, Moore, McEvoy and others in which Pete has really no intention of having Marshall make the team--ala T.O., Antoine Winfield, Browner the last time, etc.
    West TX Hawk
    NET Veteran

Tue May 29, 2018 10:52 pm
  • This is absolutely a low-risk high reward signing, who doesn't like them?

Marshall, at minimum, will be used in the red zone and on third down then sporadically between the 20's.

At best, he will become WR2 and get at least 800 yards.

My bet is edging towards the first statement with a hint of the second thrown in. My biggest concern going into this season was who catches passes in the endzone, that is now answered. We finally got back to half decent redzone production last season and I feared this season we'd be going back to our old ways but even if Marshall doesn't step foot on the field until we get into the redzone I'll still be happy.

I'd imagine his contract will look something like this -

Base - $1,015,000 non GTD
    SB - $250,000 - $400,000
    Incentives to take it up to $2M based on production, all of those will be classed as 'not likely to be earned' so his cap hit will be under $1,500,000 for 2018.
    www.hawk-talk.com

Richard Sherman wrote:People look forward to writing us off. Our demise was greatly overstated.
    original poster
    * NET Moderator *

Tue May 29, 2018 10:59 pm
  • original poster wrote:This is absolutely a low-risk high reward signing, who doesn't like them?

Marshall, at minimum, will be used in the red zone and on third down then sporadically between the 20's.

At best, he will become WR2 and get at least 800 yards.

My bet is edging towards the first statement with a hint of the second thrown in. My biggest concern going into this season was who catches passes in the endzone, that is now answered. We finally got back to half decent redzone production last season and I feared this season we'd be going back to our old ways but even if Marshall doesn't step foot on the field until we get into the redzone I'll still be happy.

I'd imagine his contract will look something like this -

Base - $1,015,000 non GTD
    SB - $250,000 - $400,000
    Incentives to take it up to $2M based on production, all of those will be classed as 'not likely to be earned' so his cap hit will be under $1,500,000 for 2018.

If he can catch like 5-7 TDs, he would be a good investment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    ++ You can call me a homer, but I am not the only one ++
    toffee
    NET Veteran

Wed May 30, 2018 12:02 am
  • Brandon Marshall is a hands catcher, and is an attribute the rest of the receivers need to learn. It's one of the things that makes Brandon so good.

Bringing up his emotional history is ridiculous IMHO, he was diagnosed with bipolar
    I believe it was, and is on medication for it. Not only that, but he is spreading awareness about mental disease and doing what he can to help others. Then there's his dad who kept asking for money then treated him like crap.

I really admire Brandon for what he's overcome, and how he donates his time to help others. He's a smart man, and is why he's on Inside the NFL.

Harvin and Graham are in no way comparable. They Pete's fault for trying to shove a square peg in a round hole. His arrogance allowed him to think he could handle Percy. What a collosal mistake that was.
    "God Bless the Seattle Seahawks" Cortez Kennedy

http://ivotuk.com/
    ivotuk
    * NET Moderator *

Wed May 30, 2018 12:35 am
  • The Bi Polar was found out after we had him in the last time I think, he was able to turn stiff around, his Cancer in the Locker room issue was about a feud with a defensive player he I believe said mailed it in, to me that's not a cancer it's holding them accountable. The problem is he did it through the media, that was his mistake.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Wed May 30, 2018 1:45 am
  • If nothing else, there is the royalty of a new face at training camp.

8)
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

Wed May 30, 2018 3:40 am
  • Don't see many downsides to this deal, don't know what some are trippin' over. Marshall is not the same guy he was in his prime, but he doesn't need to be that guy here. Marshall was called here to compete, and if he makes the roster, a role player. He offers the Seahawks a variety of things that they don't currently have on this roster, and most of all he provides us with flexibility. Marshall can be a threat on the outside, allowing Baldwin to move to the slot position on key downs -- which is where he does his best work. Marshall also provides us with a big body, YAC potential, and red zone threat. He most certainly will not the guy he was in his prime, however I fully expect that he can fulfill the Joe Jurvicious type of role for us. Think of him almost like a TE, not a big play receiver.

As a role player, I really do love Brandon Marshall, especially for only 2 million per year IF he hits incentives. If we get lucky, maybe he have a late career surge like Boldin did. They do have similar skill sets, and athletic abilities at this point in their career. I could see something happening like that for Marshall.
    Spin Doctor
    NET Veteran

Wed May 30, 2018 3:49 am
  • Eh, dont care to much about the signing either way. Hopefully he can be productive. Only negative I can see is that the other WR's arent panning out as quickly as I would have liked, thus this signing.
    pittpnthrs
    NET Veteran

Wed May 30, 2018 7:04 am
  • I don't see Marshall as much of a red zone threat anymore. In the Last 2 years (20 games played), he has scored a grand total of 3 TD's. Richardson scored 6 TD's last season alone. I think he is finished and chasing a dream, and some fans are chasing a name. That doesn't make this a bad signing (depending on guaranteed $$), but I'm expectlng little production from a washed up WR myself.
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

Wed May 30, 2018 11:02 am
  • Kind of JAG nowadays. If he makes the team it’s a real indictment on the development of younger guys.
    Coug_Hawk08
    NET Veteran

Wed May 30, 2018 11:22 am
  • Coug_Hawk08 wrote:Kind of JAG nowadays. If he makes the team it’s a real indictment on the development of younger guys.

If he has his legs under him 959 catches and that ability to make clutch catches is hard to pass up, the young guys may learn it but I still think were in the compete now idealism, the red shirt project continues until a young guy can step up and show he can do it. McEvoy has been given that chance and they don't appear sold on him to do it. Nobody else has that body type.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Wed May 30, 2018 11:40 am
  • chris98251 wrote:
    Coug_Hawk08 wrote:Kind of JAG nowadays. If he makes the team it’s a real indictment on the development of younger guys.

If he has his legs under him 959 catches and that ability to make clutch catches is hard to pass up, the young guys may learn it but I still think were in the compete now idealism, the red shirt project continues until a young guy can step up and show he can do it. McEvoy has been given that chance and they don't appear sold on him to do it. Nobody else has that body type.

Disagree with that too. His last full season (2016) he was 2nd in the NFL in drops with 8 along with an abysmal 46% completion to target rate.

Here is another clutch drop just last year. IMO he just isn't any longer what he once was.

Seymour
    NET Veteran

Wed May 30, 2018 11:43 am
  • All receivers drop balls, some of it is on them, some of it is a good defensive play, some of it is weather and ball preparation, I mean by that if they don't take the shiny coating off the ball and it is slicker, gloves or no gloves, some of it is on ball placement by the QB. tell me when a Jets QB last made the Pro Bowl ?
    Last edited by chris98251 on Wed May 30, 2018 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Wed May 30, 2018 11:44 am
  • chris98251 wrote:All receivers drop balls, some of it is on them, some of it is a good defensive play, some of it is on ball placement by the QB. tell me when a Jets QB last made the Pro Bowl ?

Agree. Not league leading though!!

Read my update on abysmal catch rate of 46% also. That is really bad.

That also happens to be 3rd worst in the league.!!

https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/stats?season=2016&week=100&category=RECEIVING&opp=0&sort=12&qualified=1&sortOrder=1

So lets just drop the great hands / clutch player card....not lately folks.
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

Wed May 30, 2018 11:48 am
  • Seymour wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:All receivers drop balls, some of it is on them, some of it is a good defensive play, some of it is on ball placement by the QB. tell me when a Jets QB last made the Pro Bowl ?

You have to look at is that his consistent rate or a abberition, again he is a cheap body right now, if he has his focus back and wants to prove something we may see his numbers show much better, also Wilson throws a very catchable ball. Don't like his placement all the time and I hope the throws his receivers open more under Schotty as well.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Wed May 30, 2018 11:54 am
  • chris98251 wrote:
    Seymour wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:All receivers drop balls, some of it is on them, some of it is a good defensive play, some of it is on ball placement by the QB. tell me when a Jets QB last made the Pro Bowl ?

You have to look at is that his consistent rate or a abberition, again he is a cheap body right now, if he has his focus back and wants to prove something we may see his numbers show much better, also Wilson throws a very catchable ball. Don't like his placement all the time and I hope the throws his receivers open more under Schotty as well.

Disagree. When you go past 30 (now 34) as a WR a natural "abberition" is going to come with age.

LOL @ catchable ball. Watch the video I posted!! Breadbasket drop.

Best thing he "could do" IMO is play decoy and block. They aren't paying him squat compared to his NY contract, and there is a reason he was available so cheap. Just don't go thinking he is out "answer" or you'll be disappointed IMO.
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

Wed May 30, 2018 11:54 am
  • He was targeted 128 times, Edelman and Crabtree the only other two targeted more, Crabtree had 9 drops, Edelman 5, his targets were high and before injury he really was a guy that had the focus of the defense I am sure. Don't think it's a big alarm bell.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Wed May 30, 2018 11:56 am
  • chris98251 wrote:He was targeted 128 times, Edelman and Crabtree the only other two targeted more, Crabtree had 9 drops, Edelman 5, his targets were high and before injury he really was a guy that had the focus of the defense I am sure. Don't think it's a big alarm bell.

And his 46% catch rate compared to Baldwins 75% for 2016?? :roll:

Seymour
    NET Veteran

Wed May 30, 2018 11:56 am
  • Seymour wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:
    Seymour wrote:

Disagree. When you go past 30 (now 34) as a WR a natural "abberition" is going to come with age.

Best thing he "could do" IMO is play decoy and block. They aren't paying him squat compared to his NY contract, and there is a reason he was available so cheap. Just don't go thinking he is out "answer" or you'll be disappointed IMO.

As I said everyone drops a ball, could have thought he had it and misjudged, it happens. I am not saying he is a Steve Largent, Jerry Rice, Michael Irvin, I am saying that he is better then many of our past guys, Riccardo Lockette comes to mind as a Receiver.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Wed May 30, 2018 12:07 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:
    Seymour wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:
    Seymour wrote:

As I said everyone drops a ball, could have thought he had it and misjudged, it happens. I am not saying he is a Steve Largent, Jerry Rice, Michael Irvin, I am saying that he is better then many of our past guys, Riccardo Lockette comes to mind as a Receiver.

Not better than Kearse!! The year before we traded Kearse, he and Marshall had the exact same catch rate of 46.1%. :pukeface:

I personally just hope Darboh sends him packing at this point.
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

Wed May 30, 2018 12:22 pm

In 180 games, Walter Jones was called for 9 holding penalties in the course of 5,703 pass plays.
    First Round Inductee To Hall Of Fame 2014
    ESPN #1 Rated Seahawks Player of All Time
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

Wed May 30, 2018 12:44 pm
  • One aspect not being discussed, is both Solari and Marshall came from NY and if there was any locker room issues I'd have to think they talked to Solari about it. Solari also may have been a key to bringing him back here. I'm not down on Marshall, I'm just going to post the facts I know and believe and try to help keep a reasonable perspective on what he may be able to do for us. :2thumbs:
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

Wed May 30, 2018 2:01 pm
  • Seymour wrote:One aspect not being discussed, is both Solari and Marshall came from NY and if there was any locker room issues I'd have to think they talked to Solari about it. Solari also may have been a key to bringing him back here. I'm not down on Marshall, I'm just going to post the facts I know and believe and try to help keep a reasonable perspective on what he may be able to do for us. :2thumbs:

Well 73 percent of his catches were for first downs and a 13.4 yard per catch also.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Wed May 30, 2018 2:06 pm
  • Seymour wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:He was targeted 128 times, Edelman and Crabtree the only other two targeted more, Crabtree had 9 drops, Edelman 5, his targets were high and before injury he really was a guy that had the focus of the defense I am sure. Don't think it's a big alarm bell.

What kind of throws wre thrown at Doug and what were thrown at Brandon? if Doug was taking posssession of the ball 5 yards down field on short throws and Brandon was running 20 yard routes and coming back the percentage is going to be lower since a harder throw was made. You can't cherry pick what you want to look good.Doug had 56 percent of his catches go for first downs.

They play different positions, Marshall is a primary Outside guy and Baldwin a Slot guy, their stats are going to differ based on that.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Wed May 30, 2018 2:10 pm
  • Forget about Baldwin since he has a magic QB if you want. (BTW the magic QB threw 46.1% to Kearse if you keep reading) How many 5 yard routes do you remember Baldwin running? Come on man.....

3rd worst in the entire NFL in 2016 is NEVER going to be 100% on the QB. :roll:

I expect you'll never own the reality that he is no longer what you dreamed of.
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

Wed May 30, 2018 2:42 pm
  • Here's Brandon Marshall's profile page on playerprofiler.com. There are some interesting stats on there, like catchable target rate, contested catch rate, etc.
    https://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/brandon-marshall/

His stats are quite comparable to Mike Evans, Bucs WR. I don't think anyone would be complaining if Mike Evans became a Seahawk. The biggest bias against Marshall is age and we all know that age in WRs isn't as big of a deal as it is in other positions.
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran

Wed May 30, 2018 3:09 pm
  • Seymour wrote:Forget about Baldwin since he has a magic QB if you want. (BTW the magic QB threw 46.1% to Kearse if you keep reading) How many 5 yard routes do you remember Baldwin running? Come on man.....

3rd worst in the entire NFL in 2016 is NEVER going to be 100% on the QB. :roll:

I expect you'll never own the reality that he is no longer what you dreamed of.

Baldwin caught a whole lot of hitches and curls and ran for YAC, maybe a revisit to film study may help, other then scramble drills Wilson didn't have time for long developing routes.

I never said he was going to be Randy Moss, I said he is going to be better then what we have till proven different, you seem to have the Hate going against him.

You ignore all the other stats and just focus on the one that suits your arguement as well, nit the amount of throws to him, not the Yards per catch average, not the first down per catch average.

Lets see you run 7 yards and come back on a route, 2 seconds and a person could throw you a catchable ball. Even with bad protection from the shot gun.

Now lets see you run a 20 or 15 yard route and come back for the ball, that takes more time, you have more pressure, chances are you have a DB hanging on you and you have a tougher throw from the QB and have to fight for the ball from a defender. Or a go route down the sidelines, while the ball is in the air you peek to make sure your inbounds and look up and misjudge where the ball is at and have a drop, by your standards he sucks now, those 959 catches prior don't mean anything, the player has lost it and is now garbage.

Also he is going to make defenses play honest, you can't double up on Doug and Brandon without someone else being open, Baldwins route running and Brandons size one on one with a DB is a win for the offense.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Wed May 30, 2018 3:42 pm
  • He might not make the team if the young receivers have great preseasons. Darboh & Moore in particular.

If he flops they won't bat an eye in cutting him. They will only be out $1M.

That is what makes it a good signing. Low risk with a chance he may have 1 more yr left in the tank to help in an area the team has a major need.
    Fade
    NET Veteran

Wed May 30, 2018 4:07 pm
  • Not sure why he's being labelled with the 46% catch rate. He's only been in the 40s one year. If you look at last year, his rate was 54%, and generally he's been high 50s, low 60s. 46% is definitely not representative.

Statistics are bad enough in the NFL due to small sample size without cherry-picking them.

Also, catch rate has a lot to do with the QB throwing and the overall offensive scheme. It's a simple ratio of targets to receptions and doesn't take into consideration how well covered a player was. I would expect Seahawks players in general to have a fairly high rates because Wilson tends not to even throw the ball unless the receiver is open. We don't often do timing patterns, and rarely throw contestable balls because Carroll has a low-turnover philosophy in which it's better to throw it away than risk throwing interceptions.

It's entirely possible that a good receiver will be targeted when he is covered more often than a bad one, but hat would skew the catch % in favour of the bad one. I don't for a minute suggest that Baldwin is anything other than elite - I'm merely illustrating what a terrible statistic we're using.
    KiwiHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed May 30, 2018 4:14 pm
  • I think many of us get rather reckless with the way we throw around the statistics that others put the time in to develop. Sometimes that carelessness just results in confusion and meandering discourse.
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

Wed May 30, 2018 5:38 pm
  • Note to self. Do not use stats that "favor your point" in a discussion because you are cherry picking. Well then, we should have never traded Kearse and his 2016 46.1% catch rate (same as Marshall in 2016) because that was just cherry picking stats coach. Do not use 2nd in drops because look at Jimmy, and what about his QB? Wait....where is Jimmy now?
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

Wed May 30, 2018 6:49 pm
  • Seymour wrote:Note to self. Do not use stats that "favor your point" in a discussion because you are cherry picking. Well then, we should have never traded Kearse and his 2016 46.1% catch rate (same as Marshall in 2016) because that was just cherry picking stats coach. Do not use 2nd in drops because look at Jimmy, and what about his QB? Wait....where is Jimmy now?

You're characterizing Marshall's catch rate based on one single season that is inconsistent with the rest of his career and isn't even last season's rate. That's pretty much a textbook example of cherry picking.

Then you want to equate Marshall to Kearse and Graham, except we're neither signing Marshall to 3 years for $13.5 million or 3 years for $30 million. Instead, it's 1 year for a maximum $2 million. If other teams value a 46% catch rate at 3/13.5m or a 2nd-in-drops at 3/30m, then aren't we getting a bargain at 1/2m? I'm pretty sure anyone can see they are not comparable situations.

Why not use other metrics like Kearse's 0 pro bowls and 0 all-pros compare to Marshall's 6 pro bowls and an all-pro nod?

And what is the magical significance of the 2016 season? Why not take his stats from 2017, or 2015? Is it because they fail to support your narrative? It's entirely possible that the failure of additional data points to support your narrative has something to do with your narrative not being valid.
    KiwiHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed May 30, 2018 6:52 pm
  • lukerguy wrote:I absolutely love this signing. Top 5 blocking WR in the league. Size to help in red zone. Great route runner. Passionate dude. For 2MM this is fantastic.

If you want to commit to the running game, but have poor blocking WRs, good luck. Hawks are throwing their chips in with the running game- look forward to seeing them move the chains and work back on play action.

Not only this, but the experience he brings to the new guys on the offense in general is worth the cap space taken.
    johnnyfever
    NET Veteran

Wed May 30, 2018 7:05 pm
  • 2016 was his last full season. Most recent full non injured stats. I used them because that is logical with his age becoming a factor.....to some.

I don't think he is a bad signing. I just think some here believe a fairy tale may come true and am pointing toward trends that show otherwise. 3 Td's in 2 years also was stated for obvious reasons.
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

Wed May 30, 2018 11:59 pm
  • Seymour wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:He was targeted 128 times, Edelman and Crabtree the only other two targeted more, Crabtree had 9 drops, Edelman 5, his targets were high and before injury he really was a guy that had the focus of the defense I am sure. Don't think it's a big alarm bell.

LOL.

Only 66 passes thrown to Marshall in 2016 were labelled "catchable." Marshall caught 59 of those 66 catchable balls or 89%.
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

Thu May 31, 2018 12:46 am
  • hawknation2018 wrote:
    Seymour wrote:

LOL.

Only 66 passes thrown to Marshall in 2016 were labelled "catchable." Marshall caught 59 of those 66 catchable balls or 89%.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

www.hawk-talk.com

Richard Sherman wrote:People look forward to writing us off. Our demise was greatly overstated.
    original poster
    * NET Moderator *

Thu May 31, 2018 1:23 am
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

Thu May 31, 2018 4:31 am
  • Regardless of whether or not you or I LIKE Marshall. He's going to draw attention from defenses. He may be on the downslide, but defenses will respect him. I really like the Schotty approach I'm starting to see with his personnel, BALANCE the offense to keep defenses honest. They won't be able to bet on a one sided approach or key in on RW, whichever RB wins the job, ADB, Ed Dickson or any other offensive weapon. For the price? My biggest concern is his behind the scenes impact.

As with any player on the tail end of their career. Is he going to be a positive impact on people or a cancer in the locker room?
    2018 Adopt a Rookie: Rashaad Penny

Sox-n-Hawks
    NET Veteran

Thu May 31, 2018 6:04 am
  • Seymour wrote:One aspect not being discussed, is both Solari and Marshall came from NY and if there was any locker room issues I'd have to think they talked to Solari about it. Solari also may have been a key to bringing him back here. I'm not down on Marshall, I'm just going to post the facts I know and believe and try to help keep a reasonable perspective on what he may be able to do for us. :2thumbs:

Good point.

I often wondered the same thing regarding the Bevell/Harvin situation. Always surprised me there wasn't more discussion on insights DB could or should have had.
    Grahamhawker
    NET Veteran

Thu May 31, 2018 6:18 am
  • Fade wrote:He might not make the team if the young receivers have great preseasons. Darboh & Moore in particular.

That is what makes it a good signing. Low risk with a chance he may have 1 more yr left in the tank to help in an area the team has a major need.

I think that's right. Schneider has definitely had a great offseason re-constituting this roster. Before free agency, Seattle had the fewest number of players signed in the league (something like 43-45 players), some of those signed players had career-threatening injuries, a limited amount of cap space, and massively gutted draft capital w/o an influx of compensatory picks. It's really been a nicely-focused off-season working through those limitations to flesh out this roster with some nice competition/depth options going into training camp.
    Jac
    NET Veteran

Thu May 31, 2018 6:38 am
  • Jac wrote:
    Fade wrote:He might not make the team if the young receivers have great preseasons. Darboh & Moore in particular.

I think that's right. Schneider has definitely had a great offseason re-constituting this roster. Before free agency, Seattle had the fewest number of players signed in the league (something like 43-45 players), some of those signed players had career-threatening injuries, a limited amount of cap space, and massively gutted draft capital w/o an influx of compensatory picks. It's really been a nicely-focused off-season working through those limitations to flesh out this roster with some nice competition/depth options going into training camp.
    this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

++ You can call me a homer, but I am not the only one ++
    toffee
    NET Veteran

Thu May 31, 2018 7:02 am
  • original poster wrote:
    hawknation2018 wrote:
    Seymour wrote:

LOL.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nope.....pick it up. Just makes my point even stronger. Most of those are red zone targets and he was 3 for 21 (the reason many here think he has a big impact) That means he obviously isn't getting open in the red zone and the ball is being thrown away towards him very often.
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

Thu May 31, 2018 7:08 am
  • More proof of diminished red zone skills....

https://247sports.com/nfl/seattle-seahawks/Bolt/Brandon-Marshall-may-not-be-able-to-fix-Seahawks-red-zone-issue-118109476

While the 6'5" wideout use to be a red zone specialist among his many abilities; those skills have been in steep decline lately and unfortunately, the sample size is such that there's not a ton of good information on what player he'll be going forward. For instance, he only appeared in five games last season before requiring ankle surgery. During that time, he had just two targets inside the opponent's 20-yard line and he caught both but scored on neither. They never targeted him once inside the opponent's 10. Another function he could serve is as a big target going deep for some easy big plays and he had no receptions over 20 yards in 2017.

But, of course, a five-game sample isn't much to consider. Unfortunately, it doesn't look much better the year prior with the New York Jets in 2016. Can see it in your eyes already. "Well, no one could succeed with the quarterbacks the Jets have been trotting out lately," you may be saying. Before we look at 2016, consider he did this in 2015 with the New York Jets. Marshall had 1,502 yards on 109 receptions with 14 touchdowns. He had 19 receptions over 20 yards and five receptions over 40 yards with a long of 69 yards (twice). His catch rate was 63 percent; so he had pretty reliable hands.

But 2016 Brandon Marshall couldn't be relied upon to consistently cure the needs the Seahawks have with the absence of Graham and Richardson. It's not that he can't provide any value but his inconsistency means you'll never be able to rely upon it. And, you can't run an offense while trying to guess when a ball may be caught.
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

Thu May 31, 2018 7:37 am
  • Marshall will be good for a few Wilson bail outs this season.

Incredible hands.
    NINEster
    NET Veteran

Thu May 31, 2018 8:23 am
  • Seymour wrote:More proof of diminished red zone skills....

https://247sports.com/nfl/seattle-seahawks/Bolt/Brandon-Marshall-may-not-be-able-to-fix-Seahawks-red-zone-issue-118109476

While the 6'5" wideout use to be a red zone specialist among his many abilities; those skills have been in steep decline lately and unfortunately, the sample size is such that there's not a ton of good information on what player he'll be going forward. For instance, he only appeared in five games last season before requiring ankle surgery. During that time, he had just two targets inside the opponent's 20-yard line and he caught both but scored on neither. They never targeted him once inside the opponent's 10. Another function he could serve is as a big target going deep for some easy big plays and he had no receptions over 20 yards in 2017.

But, of course, a five-game sample isn't much to consider. Unfortunately, it doesn't look much better the year prior with the New York Jets in 2016. Can see it in your eyes already. "Well, no one could succeed with the quarterbacks the Jets have been trotting out lately," you may be saying. Before we look at 2016, consider he did this in 2015 with the New York Jets. Marshall had 1,502 yards on 109 receptions with 14 touchdowns. He had 19 receptions over 20 yards and five receptions over 40 yards with a long of 69 yards (twice). His catch rate was 63 percent; so he had pretty reliable hands.

But 2016 Brandon Marshall couldn't be relied upon to consistently cure the needs the Seahawks have with the absence of Graham and Richardson. It's not that he can't provide any value but his inconsistency means you'll never be able to rely upon it. And, you can't run an offense while trying to guess when a ball may be caught.

These are the reasons we were able to sign him to such a friendly deal. Yes there is a possibility his career may be (or should be) over, but the contract makes it easily worth the risk to see what he's got. If he comes in here and can perform, then we keep him around on a really cheap deal. If he fails from the start, then we walk away pretty much unscathed. It's a win/win deal.

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

:les: Check your PM's....We miss you :les:
    kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Thu May 31, 2018 8:33 am
  • NINEster wrote:Marshall will be good for a few Wilson bail outs this season.

Incredible hands.

Marshall's skill isn't in question, it's his health and attitude.............and IMO at this point in his career it's just his health.

Two major ankle/foot surgeries = might be tough to get back to full speed health and contribute. But if he can? Great signing, cause Marshall knows he has to perform if he wants to keep getting NFL paychecks.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu May 31, 2018 8:34 am
  • kidhawk wrote:These are the reasons we were able to sign him to such a friendly deal. Yes there is a possibility his career may be (or should be) over, but the contract makes it easily worth the risk to see what he's got. If he comes in here and can perform, then we keep him around on a really cheap deal. If he fails from the start, then we walk away pretty much unscathed. It's a win/win deal.

There is a level headed reply. Pretty much what I've been saying. I'm only disputing mostly the "he is our red zone answer crowd" mostly with recent facts that some here dislike or blow off with their personal bias. Yes, I think he can contribute and was cheap for a reason, and YES I think we are better off in the long run if Darboh puts him on the bench.
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

PreviousNext

It is currently Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:22 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information