EDIT: LT Duane Brown interview hijacked by grievance posts

Jville

Reaction score
Duane Brown: Mike Solari’s playbook will utilize Seahawks’ linemen better - By Brent Stecker >>> [urltargetblank]http://sports.mynorthwest.com/462869/duane-brown-mike-solaris-playbook-will-utilize-seahawks-linemen-better/[/urltargetblank]

“Last year we were pretty much emphasized on zone scheme,” said Brown, who came to Seattle from Houston in a midseason trade in 2017. “We still have zone concepts in our packages, but we also have power schemes and things that are more downhill. … We have everything. We have some man blocking, we have some double team things and gap schemes, we have zone schemes. I think we have a great assortment of runs and packages in this system. I think we’ll be able to throw defenses off balance.

John Clayton audio interview of Duane Brown starts 18 minutes into podcast >>> [urltargetblank]http://sports.mynorthwest.com/category/podcast_player/?a=10031725&sid=1141&n=John+Clayton[/urltargetblank]

brimsalabim

Reaction score
If the play call doesn’t call for all five offensive linemen to dive on the ground in front of the feet of the defense and roll over on their backs like turtles on the highway while all receivers run deep routes close enough to each other that one safety can cover three at once well then they will be better utilized for sure.

Blitzhawk

Reaction score
brimsalabim":1j93vvm6 said:
If the play call doesn’t call for all five offensive linemen to dive on the ground in front of the feet of the defense and roll over on their backs like turtles on the highway while all receivers run deep routes close enough to each other that one safety can cover three at once well then they will be better utilized for sure.

Clearly, you are being a bit facetious here. Everybody knows big lineman can tire out in a game so blocking while laying on the ground keeps them well rested. Besides, a QB like Dangeruss Wilson should be able to make 7-8 guys miss on any play but only if you have your WR's running long routes....and anybody can do the math and figure out that having your WR's bunched together increases your chances of catching the ball; 6 hands are better than 2, right.

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
Returning to the topic of the Duane Brown interview and reflecting on what he had to say ........

His impressions of a bigger faster stronger second year Ethan Pocic is encouraging. It is an attractive scenario when a young ascending guard arrives along side of an accomplished but aging veteran tackle just in time to help extend a valued career. Nice positive interview. So far so good for 2018.

S4k2l6hatnzmfgmf7ufn[urltargetblank]https://www.seahawks.com/news/thursday-round-up-duane-brown-talks-seahawks-offensive-line-changes[/urltargetblank]

GeekHawk

Reaction score
oregonhawkfan":1yd11hmq said:
brimsalabim":1yd11hmq said:

Clearly, you are being a bit facetious here. Everybody knows big lineman can tire out in a game so blocking while laying on the ground keeps them well rested. Besides, a QB like Dangeruss Wilson should be able to make 7-8 guys miss on any play but only if you have your WR's running long routes....and anybody can do the math and figure out that having your WR's bunched together increases your chances of catching the ball; 6 hands are better than 2, right.

Gawd, you two absolutely nailed what I was saying (and posting around here) since bevel was first hired in 2011. And came to agree with about rhymes-with-unable after the first year of him as well. :2thumbs: :irishdrinkers:

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
GeekHawk":aalvsbx2 said:
oregonhawkfan":aalvsbx2 said:
brimsalabim":aalvsbx2 said:

Gawd, you two absolutely nailed what I was saying (and posting around here) since bevel was first hired in 2011. And came to agree with about rhymes-with-unable after the first year of him as well. :2thumbs: :irishdrinkers:

Perhaps this hijacked thread needs to be edited, re-titled and re-purposed to make room for a therapy session that knows no bounds. Sorry Duane.

Seymour

Reaction score
Back on topic: Hopefully Solari has plans to turn Ifedi into security guard to save 16 or so penalties per season. :2thumbs:

GeekHawk

Reaction score
Jville":7eygmjno said:
Perhaps this hijacked thread needs to be edited, re-titled and re-purposed to make room for a therapy session that knows no bounds. Sorry Duane.

Perhaps you need to mind your own business, or become a mod.

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
GeekHawk":45r7hfsm said:
Jville":45r7hfsm said:

Yet another grievance.

Sorry Duane.

Seymour

Reaction score
Jville":17av79ah said:
GeekHawk":17av79ah said:
Jville":17av79ah said:

Yet another grievance.

Sorry Duane.

What is with the martyr thread title??

Atradees

Reaction score
Brown seems like an intelligent guy. Our lineman ran straight up the field last year-right past the dline.... Never seen anything like it. So I hope technique means quite a bit here. Many times I have heard it said "football is football". "You need football players." Lets hope that doesn't apply in this instance. My worst nightmare is seeing Penny average a yard and half a carry. We've beefed up the TEs, the WR's..........cant wait to see the boys in action.

kf3339

Reaction score
Well, this is an interesting thread.

On topic, I think if any O-Lineman needs to be listened to in relation to the O-Line coach change it would be Brown. If he says that there could well be a change in scheme to fit the players abilities then let's go!

Solari could and should ask our pro bowl LT what happened last year as he is the only guy who came in after the season started and experienced what was happening in person. The fact he regressed under Cable only adds validity that a change in coaching was needed.

Something a lot of us had seen and been saying for the last 3-4 years. We just didn't have a true veteran pro bowl lineman that could see what was happening, or say anything. Now we do.Why it took PC so long to see it as well still bugs the crap out of me.

nategreat

Reaction score
I feel like previous comments above were well within the topic of discussion- horrible o-line play of the past; and people have the right to joke around. This is supposed to be a fun community, let people speak as they may, as long as we're not attacking each other.

On topic, I'm definitely excited to see what our line does next year. It'll be eye opening to see the impact both Tom Cable and Darrell Bevell had on this offense, and I hope we are finally able to figure some things out on the o-line. Duane Brown seems optimistic, and that's great to hear.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
I am sorry for the misdirection. I do agree that Brown's interview sounds very positive.

Seymour

Reaction score
brimsalabim":kxtctnyq said:
.....I do agree that Brown's interview sounds very positive.

Hopefully a happy Brown means that they are negotiating a nice $$ bonus / extension for the guy. :2thumbs:

RockinHawks

Reaction score
oregonhawkfan":2yv27kmb said:
brimsalabim":2yv27kmb said:

Facetious? Check this out...

https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/909855192216166401

scutterhawk

Reaction score
nategreat":dk7wm8bi said:
I feel like previous comments above were well within the topic of discussion- horrible o-line play of the past; and people have the right to joke around. This is supposed to be a fun community, let people speak as they may, as long as we're not attacking each other.

On topic, I'm definitely excited to see what our line does next year. It'll be eye opening to see the impact both Tom Cable and Darrell Bevell had on this offense, and I hope we are finally able to figure some things out on the o-line. Duane Brown seems optimistic, and that's great to hear.
I think that Bevell takes too much blame for shitty O-Line Coaching, he was charged with making silk purses out of sow's ears.
Lots of dysfunction, the O-Line was being pulled in two different directions, so it's pretty hard to use your creativity on play calls.
After dumbing it down for the Offensive Linemen, the Defenses were able to read the system at about the same speed as the guys across the line.....Small wonder that some defenders were in the backfield in less than 2 seconds, and without a Beastmode, Defenses were forcing RW into escape mode.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Variety only goes for so much. Variety can mean more to learn, more to remember, and more potential mistakes to make. When you see sacks, TFL's, and missed passes, those can be the result of pure poor execution, but they can also be someone making an individual mistake because they've got too much to remember.

Sticking to one system, on the other hand, can carry its benefits. Consolidation favors mastery. Get really, really good at a smaller set of things and you can't be stopped even if your opponent knows what's coming.