In General

hawks85

Reaction score
I know most of us are happy that Bevelle and Cable are gone, But i wonder what the players really think. We have heard some of the players responses etc... I know deep down inside some of these guys are really happy, but cant really express that during interviews. I know last year and all the sacks wilson took he had to be thinking come on Bevelle. I could see it in Wilson's face sometimes. Same thing with Cable.

getnasty

Reaction score
I think that most players go to bat for there coaches but I'm not sure to many will argue that a change needed to be made. I'd be curious to know how they feel about the replacement to Bevell though.

ivotuk

Reaction score
I think Russell still likes Bevell, and possibly blames Cable for all the offensive troubles. He's stuck up for Bevell and I believe he's sincere about it.

Bevell can, and has been a successful OC as long as he has a running game, but like most OC's, once the running game struggles, their offense struggles. There aren't very many Josh McDaniels out there that can manipulate a game plan to fit the players and approach needed each week for different opponents.

DB will get another chance once a little time goes by and there's a coaching change somewhere. I think most coaches get stale after 5 - 10 years, and there are very few Andy Reids.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
A change was way needed, I’m glad it finally happened, I’m looking forward to much better results starting game 1.

chris98251

Reaction score
I'm sure the players don't like being outside a known comfort zone, but that was part of the problem. The other part was the league had moved past Bevell and Cables system so to speak, Bevel was a broken clock OC, once or twice a season everything lined up right, other then that it was painful to watch. Cable's system fell apart after the rule changes and fell apart more with the additional add ons. That and trying to make guys perform a skill they were not physically gifted to do.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
The fact that Bevell doesn’t have a job right now is telling.

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
Honestly, anyone who's been successful in any type of leadership.. will tell you not to worry about "what the players think" at the first phases of building a new team. I couldn't care less if people like them right now, or ever. As long as they perform for them. Now respect? Yeah I hope to hell the team respects the new coaching staff. How many of them truly respected Cabevell?

jammerhawk

Reaction score
The change was long overdue. The O wasn’t working and each season there needed to be re-works to try to keep RW from being crushed or to deal with the at time league high number of sacks, and to try to do something to awaken a moribund running game. It was at last clear neither Cable nor Bevell had any answers that worked and were both taking the team in a direction Pete finally woke up to realizing was down.

We all will soon enough be screaming for Schotty’s head if the O struggles, or Solari’s too if the OLine continues to look like crap. The changes were necessary to remain competitive or to become so again the trend wasn’t pointing in the right direction and hadn’t since XLIX.

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
jammerhawk":1yfjypl5 said:
The change was long overdue. The O wasn’t working and each season there needed to be re-works to try to keep RW from being crushed or to deal with the at time league high number of sacks, and to try to do something to awaken a moribund running game. It was at last clear neither Cable nor Bevell had any answers that worked and were both taking the team in a direction Pete finally woke up to realizing was down.

We all will soon enough be screaming for Schotty’s head if the O struggles, or Solari’s too if the OLine continues to look like crap. The changes were necessary to remain competitive or to become so again the trend wasn’t pointing in the right direction and hadn’t since XLIX.

I might get Slain for saying this. BUT if for some reason PC can't get this team back on track and he leaves, how long will it take for Jim Harbaugh to be standing on the sidelines in Seattle? Asking for a friend*

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Sox-n-Hawks":2bkdystl said:
I might get Slain for saying this. BUT if for some reason PC can't get this team back on track and he leaves, how long will it take for Jim Harbaugh to be standing on the sidelines in Seattle? Asking for a friend*
Jim?... never, imo.

John?... I could see it since his days in Baltimore seem to be limited at this time.

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":2g4phr2o said:
Sox-n-Hawks":2g4phr2o said:
Jim?... never, imo.

John?... I could see it since his days in Baltimore seem to be limited at this time.

You don't think Jim would want to come back to the NFC West and make Jed York cry?

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":3rhv8gkq said:
Sox-n-Hawks":3rhv8gkq said:
Jim?... never, imo.

If Carroll were to leave next year I have a feeling that the Seahawks would be calling up Urban Meyer. It seems like a Paul Allen kind of move. He seems to like coaches with a track record of success whether it be at the collegiate level or the NFL level. Both Holmgren, and Carroll had a championship or two of some kind under their belt. I'm excluding Mora from this because that was technically all the "I drink diet coke from a goblet, Ruskell".

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
The only intelligent criticism of Bevell I've ever seen came from Scottemojo, who had some actual X's and O's on why certain things Bevell did were dumb.

The hand-wringing over The Call is misplaced. The problem wasn't calling a doable pass play on third down in order to save clock for a possible fourth down, but the fact that Seattle's goal-line playbook was so thin that Patriots players knew it was coming. Seattle's offense had been dumbed down for Wilson since he got here. That was what killed us on the call, and it was Pete's doing, not Bevell.

So meh with Bevell. Stone-cold average OC. He wasn't the problem, but Wilson was never going to realize his full potential under him, either.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":1n0h5gkt said:
The only intelligent criticism of Bevell I've ever seen came from Scottemojo, who had some actual X's and O's on why certain things Bevell did were dumb.

The hand-wringing over The Call is misplaced. The problem wasn't calling a doable pass play on third down in order to save clock for a possible fourth down, but the fact that Seattle's goal-line playbook was so thin that Patriots players knew it was coming. Seattle's offense had been dumbed down for Wilson since he got here. That was what killed us on the call, and it was Pete's doing, not Bevell.

So meh with Bevell. Stone-cold average OC. He wasn't the problem, but Wilson was never going to realize his full potential under him, either.
I'm of that mindset as well, and I have constantly reiterated it. The Patriots said it was literally the only play we ran from that formation in short yardage situations. What is even more stupid is the personnel that we used to execute this play, and the match-ups that we drew on that play. The situations was stacked against us, the personnel was at least something that Bevell could control if it was indeed Pete's call to use THAT play.

I think you're giving Bevell too much credit, he is without a job for a very good reason at the moment. He just wasn't very good as a play caller, moreover we also had a stupid duo coordinator deal going on between Cable, and Bevell.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":18av08ue said:

The whole world AGREES that Our Offensive Line was one of the WORST LINES in all of Pro Football, that lands full on Tom Cable's shoulders....It wasn't Darryl Bevell who was getting restrained &hushed by Doug Baldwin when Russell Wilson was addressing the O-Line on the sidelines, it was TOM CABLE.
Bevell's biggest obstacle was trying to design plays, using Cable's screwed up O-Line.
I can very well see why shit got dummied down to ridiculous.
What else could Bevell do, ESPECIALLY with Tom Cable in charge of COACHING the Offensive Line to making the Run Game VIABLE?
No Pass Protection....Cable's fail.
No Run Game, again....Cable's fail.

NOLAHawk

Reaction score
No Pass Protection....Cable's fail.
No Run Game, again....Cable's fail.

Was it cable that only had hero ball plays. Other teams masked their online issues with quick flat passes, draws screens etc.

In any event I’m looking forward to the potential of a first down in the first half.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Seymour

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":1z2qrl73 said:

Unbelievable!!

It was 2nd down dude!! :roll:

Ozzy

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":1mn6sp0x said:

Meh a lot to disagree with here. Scott didn't have the only intelligent criticism of Bevell. There are plenty others who understand X/O's enough to see the shortcomings. The call wasn't Pete's call either. He signed off on a pass play which is fine, but Bevell's job was the specific call and it was also his job to understand personnel in place and how it favored NE on that play. There were plenty of other calls that could of been made on the goal line regardless of how 'dumbed down" people think it was at the time.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
I still maintain that Bevel is an average coordinator, with streaks of brilliance interspersed with streaks of aboslute boneheaded stupidity. He was hamstrung by Cable's run game, and protection scheme (and possibly by Carroll as well).

I did not want to keep him, but it would have been interesting to see what he did with full control over the offensive game plan and a decent line (at least as much full control as Carroll allows).

I think he gets a shot with a college team somewhere. He can lean on that record setting stretch with Wilson and Baldwin to demonstrate his ability to design a college type gameplan. I doubt anyone in the NFL gives him a chance unless and until he proves himself in the college ranks. It's too big of a gamble.

As for Oakland and Cable... HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA