Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Seahawks Plan To Have “Very Sharp O-Line” Under Solari

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
  • Carroll and his team also have high hopes for the line because of one of the big changes that did take place with regards to that position group, with Mike Solari replacing Tom Cable as the team’s offensive line coach.

“Mike's already putting his stamp on these guys and he comes about it in a really classic fashion style of teaching and coaching and expectations and standards,” Carroll said last week “I see our guys—the format conceptually is a little bit different. He has an opportunity to put a stamp on us and he’s already doing that.”

https://www.seahawks.com/news/seahawks- ... ike-solari
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

• Sure hope so.

Imagine having an OLine that can both run block, and pass protect?

I’d settle for one that was superior at one of the two. However, i’d Rather not settle.
    Until we develop a pass rush that will cause opposing teams to be forced to scheme to defend it we will never be able to consistently take the final step. The interior rush needs improvement. The OLine clearly still needs work.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions at last after 38 seasons. Awesome!!!
    jammerhawk
    NET Veteran

• It sounds like old school boot camp, coaches yelling and drilling involved, getting back to the basics so to speak. Solari and Schotty hands on and pushing the guys. The fact that Solari already pointed out Ifedi's issues and is drilling them of leverage and not lazy play is a big bonus, I am sure the other guys are getting schooled on their deficiencies and bad habits picked up. Brown stating he has learned some stuff already is a great start, he admitting this will make the others more likely to listen and follow his directions.

Can't wait to see or hear about padded practice now.

That warm and fuzzy is starting to happen :)

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• Its promising that they should be better, but i'm not going to get caught up in this lip service. I need to see it first to believe it. The Oline is definitely the most interesting piece of the team right now in my opinion.
    pittpnthrs
    NET Veteran

• Fewer false starts?
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

• Anyone noticed that we are seeing more of WalterJones around the team lately?

Is this just wishful thinking on my part?
    Until we develop a pass rush that will cause opposing teams to be forced to scheme to defend it we will never be able to consistently take the final step. The interior rush needs improvement. The OLine clearly still needs work.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions at last after 38 seasons. Awesome!!!
    jammerhawk
    NET Veteran

• mikeak wrote:Fewer false starts?

This is huge. I'm sure many here aren't fans, but I was watching a clip of First Things First with Nick Wright and Cris Carter and they were discussing with Eric Mangini what the Seahawks offense needs to do to improve. Mangini had some good insights as he coached with the Niners for a few years. He said that they noticed when playing us that we would start off drives and end up killing ourselves with a false start or holding penalty. He said that our offense's greatest enemy was itself at times.

I almost forgot about how bad we've been with penalties. If Solari can clean up the holding and false starts, that will be huge because we can finish more drives and stay on schedule. 1st and 20 is a heck of an impediment for most offenses and has been a drive death sentence for ours these past few years. Looking forward to Mike drilling that out of the guys. Hopefully Schotty can coach RW to step up in the pocket or slide around instead of bailing as often to cut down on the holding penalties as well.
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran

• Well I'd say "we're screwed". Pete just put the Cable kiss of death on the oline with his latest statement. This happens EVERY SINGLE YEAR with our oline BTW...

“this is the best we’ve been in some time,” :roll:

Statements like this are ridiculous at this point in the off season when real hitting is not even taking place yet. :pukeface:

On the plus side....at least Solari has his head on straight! :2thumbs:

" I don’t want to over-exaggerate, because we’re not in pads, and that’s when you really ascend as an offensive line.”
    Last edited by Seymour on Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

• Nobody comes out and says "we are gonna' suck" :lol:
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

• SoulfishHawk wrote:Nobody comes out and says "we are gonna' suck" :lol:

No, but they could say, "I like what i see, and time will tell" when it comes to progress. Look at the line I updated about Solari and what he said. He's better than Pete on not talking horse shit.
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

• Pete is the forever optimist, that's not gonna' change. Meh
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

• SoulfishHawk wrote:Pete is the forever optimist, that's not gonna' change. Meh

Agree. And that = keeping dead horse staff around too long and killing our SB window because of it. I'm not alright with that quite yet. :|
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

• I’m not sure how saying “we’re screwed” is better than projecting optimism based on facts (more experienced depth returning to the O-Line than we have had since 2015, combined with a fundamentals-based OL Coach). Such “doom and gloom” posts lack substance. There are reasons to be concerned about the O-Line, which I have enumerated in several posts. But concerns about positivity/self-actualization/paranoid jinxes are not one of those substantive reasons. That’s just being negative for its own sake, which contributes zero to the discussion.
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

• Good lord... Ever heard of said in jest? Yes, my comment (we're screwed) was equally as dumb and baseless as Pete's, and that was intentional for those that need it explained. :roll:
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

• I just hope posts like the ones above will contain a modicum of substance in the future. It makes the board more readable, as opposed to the negativity for its own sake, let’s complain about only winning one Super Bowl posts.
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

• hawknation2018 wrote:I just hope posts like the ones above will contain a modicum of substance in the future. It makes the board more readable, as opposed to the negativity for its own sake, let’s complain about only winning one Super Bowl posts.

It does contain substance!

My comment puts the entire Pete optimism into proper (IMO) perspective, and then I confirmed it with Solari's statement.

Seymour
    "Statements like this are ridiculous at this point in the off season when real hitting is not even taking place yet."

Solari
    " I don’t want to over-exaggerate, because we’re not in pads, and that’s when you really ascend as an offensive line.”

Not what you want to see? Well go figure. :snack:

Even the thread and article title is ridiculous! What else would they be "planning"?? Stating the obvious is not always "positive". It can actually be insulting to ones intelligence.
    Last edited by Seymour on Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

• Seymour wrote:
    hawknation2018 wrote:I just hope posts like the ones above will contain a modicum of substance in the future. It makes the board more readable, as opposed to the negativity for its own sake, let’s complain about only winning one Super Bowl posts.

My comment puts the entire Pete optimism into proper (IMO) perspective, and then I confirmed it with Solari's statement.

Seymour
    "Statements like this are ridiculous at this point in the off season when real hitting is not even taking place yet."

Solari

Statements like what? That Solari is starting to put his stamp on the offensive line by focusing on fundamentals? Or that the offensive line returns more experienced depth than it has in several seasons? Those are statements of fact.

Calling it "ridiculous" isn't substantive, LOL.

Projecting positivity as a leader serves the goal of maximizing one's success through self actualization. While being negative, i.e. "we're screwed," is just pointless chatter.

By the way, the statement about having a "very sharp O-LIne" came from Duane Brown, not Carroll, which means your statement was also false. Will you admit that?

Brown: "I think we’re going to be a very sharp O-line, very technically sound, and play with a lot of aggression.” This is what good leaders do. You have to have a vision for success; give it a try sometime.

:2thumbs:
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

• hawknation2018 wrote:
    Seymour wrote:
    hawknation2018 wrote:I just hope posts like the ones above will contain a modicum of substance in the future. It makes the board more readable, as opposed to the negativity for its own sake, let’s complain about only winning one Super Bowl posts.

Seymour

Solari

Statements like what? That Solari is starting to put his stamp on the offensive line by focusing on fundamentals? Or that the offensive line returns more experienced depth than it has in several seasons? Those are statements of fact.

Projecting positivity as a leader serves the goal of maximizing one's success through self actualization. While being negative, i.e. "we're screwed," is just pointless chatter.

Do you even read before you respond? I already admitted it was dumb and explained why. Back to ignore, I should have known better.
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

• Seymour wrote:
    hawknation2018 wrote:
    Seymour wrote:

Seymour

Solari

Do you even read before you respond? I already admitted it was dumb and explained why. Back to ignore, I should have known better.

:34853_doh:

Another non-substantive post.
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

• jammerhawk wrote:Sure hope so.

I’d settle for one that was superior at one of the two. However, i’d Rather not settle.

If they can run block well then they are off to the races because Wilson has been making chicken salad out of chicken crap for an O-line that can't pass protect.
    "Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast!"
    Ace_Rimmer
    NET Veteran

• Ace_Rimmer wrote:
    jammerhawk wrote:Sure hope so.

If they can run block well then they are off to the races because Wilson has been making chicken salad out of chicken crap for an O-line that can't pass protect.

Duane Brown gives the O-Line a solid rock at the LT position, which is huge for Russell WIlson. He generally does a good job eluding pressure from the right side. Problems arise when the pressure comes from multiple directions at once.

Losing Russell Okung (without replacing him) was one of the worst personnel decisions in recent memory. Denver only paid Okung $5.2 million for the 2016 season, a deal we surely should have matched. Thank God they eventually got Brown.
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

• Seymour wrote:
    SoulfishHawk wrote:Nobody comes out and says "we are gonna' suck" :lol:

No, but they could say, "I like what i see, and time will tell" when it comes to progress. Look at the line I updated about Solari and what he said. He's better than Pete on not talking horse shit.

Sounds to me like it doesn't matter what Pete says, you will interpret it as "Horse Shit", got it :2thumbs:
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran

• Pete is who he is, he knows what he's doing. And why would anyone expect something different from him? His approach to football and motivation has been incredibly consistent.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

• I do think Solari will help clean up and minimize mistakes with this line. His blocking schemes are more basic and efficient at the point of attack and protection.

Along with Penny it should mean a more productive and consistent run game.

But you can have the ghost of Vince Lombardi here, and the linemen still have to play well, and that's where the success really will come from if the line improves.

- Can Fluker stay healthy and not be a hobbled liability like Joeckel was last year
    - Can Fant and/or Ifedi solidify the RT position
    - Can Britt bounce back
    - Can Pocic become a better run blocker with his muscle/weight gain

A LOT of ifs, no matter how good Solari is.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• SoulfishHawk wrote:Pete is who he is, he knows what he's doing. And why would anyone expect something different from him? His approach to football and motivation has been incredibly consistent.

Agree. Players coach and his comments are more geared to "encourage his players" at the risk of blowing smoke up the fans asses and that works well for his players (for those that continue to buy in). My point....any conclusions that he may come to on the oline with pads off are.....well, inconclusive. I like Solari's approach. He is still positive, yet realistic to the knowing fans and more of a cautious optimism that until the pads are on he KNOWS it's just hype to over react this early. :2thumbs:
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

• SoulfishHawk wrote:Nobody comes out and says "we are gonna' suck" :lol:

NBA teams did this season, didn't they?
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer

• Sgt. Largent wrote:I do think Solari will help clean up and minimize mistakes with this line. His blocking schemes are more basic and efficient at the point of attack and protection.

Along with Penny it should mean a more productive and consistent run game.

But you can have the ghost of Vince Lombardi here, and the linemen still have to play well, and that's where the success really will come from if the line improves.

- Can Fluker stay healthy and not be a hobbled liability like Joeckel was last year
    - Can Fant and/or Ifedi solidify the RT position
    - Can Britt bounce back
    - Can Pocic become a better run blocker with his muscle/weight gain

A LOT of ifs, no matter how good Solari is.

I like Jordan Roos's potential more Fluker or Pocic's. It would be great if he could grab the RG spot.

Pocic also has his work cut out for him in pass pro.

Even if everyone's technique improves, they still have to put the right players in the right position to succeed.
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

• Duane Brown has said Ifedi is working with Solari a lot and has seen great improvement so far, especially with technique. That was his biggest issue, he let players get a running start every time since his first step was always backwards whereas you watch Duane reach out and hammer his assignment. Keeping Duane around is a huge bonus for the younger guys since he's basically a coach on the field. Getting the line to be averagewill be a huge accomplishment in year 1 and all Russell really needs.
    mistaowen
    NET Veteran

• NBA? It hasn't mattered since the day the Supes were taken away
    Last edited by SoulfishHawk on Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

In 180 games, Walter Jones was called for 9 holding penalties in the course of 5,703 pass plays.
    First Round Inductee To Hall Of Fame 2014
    ESPN #1 Rated Seahawks Player of All Time
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

• Two things must happen in order to progress:

1. A vision of future, ie sharp, aggression, dominant etc.. this is the positive stuff.

2. Self evaluation and how to improve. Pocic lacked strength, Ifedi lack discipline etc., This is the negative stuff.

See, it works like this. New manager told an experienced staff why area needed improvement and how to do improve. Then promise a bright future with improvements.

At press conference, we mostly hear the (1) ie vision aka positive stuff. Frankly most fans don’t understand or need to know footworks or pad levels, or hand placements.

Quite sure, or let’s hope there are lots of (2) ie self analysis and how to improve stuff among the coaching staffs, and coaches and players.

Solaris did let a tiny bit of (2) slip in his presser: Ifedi was lazy, not bending enough thus lost leverage, therefore Ifedi had problem with quick DEs. I suspect behind close door, Solari has been chewing Ifedi alive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    toffee
    NET Veteran

• toffee wrote:Two things must happen in order to progress:

1. A vision of future, ie sharp, aggression, dominant etc.. this is the positive stuff.

2. Self evaluation and how to improve. Pocic lacked strength, Ifedi lack discipline etc., This is the negative stuff.

See, it works like this. New manager told an experienced staff why area needed improvement and how to do improve. Then promise a bright future with improvements.

At press conference, we mostly hear the (1) ie vision aka positive stuff. Frankly most fans don’t understand or need to know footworks or pad levels, or hand placements.

Quite sure, or let’s hope there are lots of (2) ie self analysis and how to improve stuff among the coaching staffs, and coaches and players.

Solaris did let a tiny bit of (2) slip in his presser: Ifedi was lazy, not bending enough thus lost leverage, therefore Ifedi had problem with quick DEs. I suspect behind close door, Solari has been chewing Ifedi alive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not bending is not a laziness issue, it is a problem with technique. You don't want to bend either, you want more of a squat with a straight back, think picking up a heavy object that is on the ground. Bending too much at the waste puts an offensive lineman in a very bad position. Getting beat by quick DE's is either a technique issue, or a problem with lateral quickness. I think Ifedi has a problem with both. He relied on getting off the snap quicker than the opposing DE, which led to a lot of false starts. I don't think he used his hands particularly well either.
    Spin Doctor
    NET Veteran

• Seahawks may plan to have a sharp line, but realistically I see an average, to slightly below average line. I think it will take more than one year to completely turn these guys around. Either way I do think they will be better than last year.
    Spin Doctor
    NET Veteran

• Spin Doctor wrote:Seahawks may plan to have a sharp line, but realistically I see an average, to slightly below average line. I think it will take more than one year to completely turn these guys around. Either way I do think they will be better than last year.

You're right, but I see them doing far better because we'll have a FB and Blocking TE. That will make a MASSIVE difference.
    2018 Adopt a Rookie: Rashaad Penny

Sox-n-Hawks
    NET Veteran

• Spin Doctor wrote:Seahawks may plan to have a sharp line, but realistically I see an average, to slightly below average line. I think it will take more than one year to completely turn these guys around. Either way I do think they will be better than last year.

"Average" OL play would probably get us to the SB. :mrgreen:
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• We brought in one of the best tackles in the NFL last season and under our staff he regressed weekly. We know Brown is a great player so we know that regression wasn’t on him! For this reason more than any other I find what he is saying about our new direction with oline coaching to be encouraging!
    brimsalabim
    NET Veteran

• brimsalabim wrote:We brought in one of the best tackles in the NFL last season and under our staff he regressed weekly. We know Brown is a great player so we know that regression wasn’t on him! For this reason more than any other I find what he is saying about our new direction with oline coaching to be encouraging!

He was also hurt right away.............which is unfortunately typical for holdouts.

I'm not worried about Brown, other than we're not going to be able to extend him and lose another high pick for a rental player.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• hawknation2018 wrote:
    Ace_Rimmer wrote:

Duane Brown gives the O-Line a solid rock at the LT position, which is huge for Russell WIlson. He generally does a good job eluding pressure from the right side. Problems arise when the pressure comes from multiple directions at once.

Losing Russell Okung (without replacing him) was one of the worst personnel decisions in recent memory. Denver only paid Okung $5.2 million for the 2016 season, a deal we surely should have matched. Thank God they eventually got Brown.

Low key such a great point about Okung. Our 2015 line was pretty bad, but it's been particularly terrible since Okung left. Like Unger before him, he did a pretty good job of staying healthy once leaving Seattle too...
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran

• adeltaY wrote:
    hawknation2018 wrote:
    Ace_Rimmer wrote:

Low key such a great point about Okung. Our 2015 line was pretty bad, but it's been particularly terrible since Okung left. Like Unger before him, he did a pretty good job of staying healthy once leaving Seattle too...

Losing starters in free agency and then not making a serious effort to replace them was a big problem from 2015-17.
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

• So far, there isn't much competition on the offensive line. Brown, Pocic, Britt, and Ifedi seem virtually locked in as starters. At RG, there does appear to be some competition between D.J. Fluker and Jordan Roos. Rees Odhiambo was so terrible last year that he's mostly competing with himself to remain on the roster. George Fant has yet to be cleared and may not provide much competition for Ifedi because he still has to learn the RT position once recovered. Jamarco Jones is a rookie, stuck behind Brown. The remaining guys, like Isaiah Battle and Skyler Phillips, are mainly providing competition on the periphery.
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

• Video of OL drills (D.J. Fluker participated for the first time, recovered from a knee injury):
    https://www.seattletimes.com/video/5794 ... on-june-7/

Coach Solari looking pumped during final OTA:

Rookie Skyler Phillips is a load and surprisingly athletic looking. He generates some nice "pop" when he hits the sled.

Last year's surprise O-Line contributor from the undrafted free agent class was Jordan Roos. This year it appears to be Phillips, so far.
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

It is currently Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:15 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information