Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Russell Wilson is third best QB in NFL, per Sporting News

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
  • 1. Tom Brady, Patriots
    Brady is building on his GOAT resume before he retires, whenever that might happen. He has played like a passer possessed over the last three seasons, and there’s no reason to think he’ll drop off from arguably his best-ever play anytime soon.

2. Aaron Rodgers, Packers
    Rodgers is coming off a season mostly lost to a broken collarbone, but considering how he rebounded from a similar injury a few years ago, he should make up for lost time with stellar play in 2018. Given how deep some of Rodgers’ elite contemporaries have played into their careers, his best could be yet to come.

3. Russell Wilson, Seahawks
    With even more riding on his arm and legs, Wilson has gone from an exceptional complementary player to the all-out carrier of his team. His numbers are prolific and efficient, and so is his impact as a consistent MVP candidate. Just wait until he hits 30.

4. Drew Brees, Saints
    Brees has a lost a little on his deep ball, but otherwise, his mental and physical skills remain sharp. He is durable and can adapt his play to what’s around him. He knows he can now get more from the running game and defense in New Orleans, which should lead to more wins.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/list/ra ... vt/slide/3
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

• I like it and agree with it although I would certainly understand if some put Brees over him just for the career aspect. Russell is Top 5 no question. A few years from now he may be number 1 on the list. Keep it going Russ (and protect him linemen!) and you very well just may have a gold jacket in your future.

"Shaquem Griffin tells ESPN after he got drafted by Seattle; 'I can't breathe.' That's the only time you'll hear him say he can't do something." - Dan Wetzel via Twitter.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

• Seems right, but I agree with Aros.

Winning playoff games and games won puts matters into clear perspective. Longevity adds to the calculation.
    Last edited by jammerhawk on Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Until we develop a pass rush that will cause opposing teams to be forced to scheme to defend it we will never be able to consistently take the final step. The interior rush needs improvement. The OLine clearly still needs work.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions at last after 38 seasons. Awesome!!!
    jammerhawk
    NET Veteran

• Needless to say, there are threads here talking about trading him. That said, we should keep an open mind if Alex McGough turn out to be second coming Brady.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by toffee on Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:11 am, edited 2 times in total.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    ++ You can call me a homer, but I am not the only one ++
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    toffee
    NET Veteran

• Can't fix stupid.

Why would you want to trade a player who has just come to a stage of their career where they are not struggling to learn how to play QB in the NFL? If it's the money argument so that the team gets a short window of an inexpensive QB then you'd best be sure you have a talent waiting in the wings capable of being as good as the player you are offloading.
    Until we develop a pass rush that will cause opposing teams to be forced to scheme to defend it we will never be able to consistently take the final step. The interior rush needs improvement. The OLine clearly still needs work.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions at last after 38 seasons. Awesome!!!
    jammerhawk
    NET Veteran

• I have all kinds of things to say to those who want to trade Russell but I rarely frequent the Shack these days.

"Shaquem Griffin tells ESPN after he got drafted by Seattle; 'I can't breathe.' That's the only time you'll hear him say he can't do something." - Dan Wetzel via Twitter.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

• Yep, top 5 for sure.
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

• Funny David Poo rant . . . :lol:

:roll:
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

• hawknation2018 wrote:Image

Well, he held the ball there, I was afraid he was going to drop it.
    "God Bless the Seattle Seahawks" Cortez Kennedy

http://ivotuk.com/
    ivotuk
    * NET Moderator *

hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

• hawknation2018 wrote:Funny David Poo rant . . . :lol:

this guy a straight wind up merchant another "media guy" that insta blocks anyone questioning his opinions :irishdrinkers:
    “Well, they’re going to have to stop all of us. You feel me. I’m a piece to it, but we’ve got some dogs.”
    Str8OuttaSkittles
    NET Starter

• I literally don't have a clue who this Davis Hsu is, and for that matter why any of us care what he has to say?

Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

• Aros wrote:I literally don't have a clue who this Davis Hsu is, and for that matter why any of us care what he has to say?

Exactly! Who cares, no respect....no care. It's the constant quoting him here like his dart board opinion actually matters that FORCES people to read his garbage that is most irritating IMO. :pukeface:
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

• Seymour wrote:
    Aros wrote:I literally don't have a clue who this Davis Hsu is, and for that matter why any of us care what he has to say?

Exactly! Who cares, no respect....no care. It's the constant quoting him here like his dart board opinion actually matters that FORCES people to read his garbage that is most irritating IMO. :pukeface:

Fair point. I'll refrain from quoting him in the future. :2thumbs:
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

• hawknation2018 wrote:Fair point. I'll refrain from quoting him in the future. :2thumbs:

Hey bro, this wasn't intended at you personally. Please don't feel that it was (in case you felt that way). It was just a commentary in general, not about who specifically posted his tweets, or twats, or whatever the kids call them.

:lol: :les:

Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

• Aros wrote:
    hawknation2018 wrote:Fair point. I'll refrain from quoting him in the future. :2thumbs:

Hey bro, this wasn't intended at you personally. Please don't feel that it was (in case you felt that way). It was just a commentary in general, not about who specifically posted his tweets, or twats, or whatever the kids call them.

:lol: :les:

No offense taken, man! 8)
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

• Aros wrote:I literally don't have a clue who this Davis Hsu is, and for that matter why any of us care what he has to say?

His followers include some high profile names. So he isn't just some clown throwing stuff around.

https://twitter.com/DavisHsuSeattle/fol ... you_follow
    In 180 games, Walter Jones was called for 9 holding penalties in the course of 5,703 pass plays.
    First Round Inductee To Hall Of Fame 2014
    ESPN #1 Rated Seahawks Player of All Time
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

• This is obviously a big reason why the demise of Seattle is overstated. Minnesota and the Rams are a lot alike in that they finally got themselves top-level coaches, assembled top talent, etc. But you know that Green Bay and Rodgers aren't going to go away quietly, and they'll continue to challenge for the division year over year as talent levels among teams naturally flux up and down.
    Jac
    NET Veteran

• hawknation2018 wrote:Funny David Poo rant . . . :lol:

Even if all this were true, this is a big sign that Wilson needs a coach that will push him, teach him, to a certain extent help control him, etc. It's not unlike Favre, who needed his natural QBing gifts channeled through a disciplined approach in order to truly elevate his game to the highest level.
    Jac
    NET Veteran

• hawknation2018 wrote:
    1. Tom Brady, Patriots
    Brady is building on his GOAT resume before he retires, whenever that might happen. He has played like a passer possessed over the last three seasons, and there’s no reason to think he’ll drop off from arguably his best-ever play anytime soon.

2. Aaron Rodgers, Packers
    Rodgers is coming off a season mostly lost to a broken collarbone, but considering how he rebounded from a similar injury a few years ago, he should make up for lost time with stellar play in 2018. Given how deep some of Rodgers’ elite contemporaries have played into their careers, his best could be yet to come.

3. Russell Wilson, Seahawks
    With even more riding on his arm and legs, Wilson has gone from an exceptional complementary player to the all-out carrier of his team. His numbers are prolific and efficient, and so is his impact as a consistent MVP candidate. Just wait until he hits 30.

4. Drew Brees, Saints
    Brees has a lost a little on his deep ball, but otherwise, his mental and physical skills remain sharp. He is durable and can adapt his play to what’s around him. He knows he can now get more from the running game and defense in New Orleans, which should lead to more wins.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/list/ra ... vt/slide/3

On his day he is second to none,imho. :2thumbs:
    beaumaris
    NET Bench Warmer

• Like that guy even matters a little bit. David Poo, dude is clueless.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

• Russell Wilson is at least the first best QB in the NFL.
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

• Third best QB in the NFL shouldn't have ranked 26th last year in scoring efficiency (drives led/drives ending in a score).

It's the one stat I've found that finally confirms my issue with Wilson being a truly top QB instead of a top "playmaking QB". No longer do I have to just talk about eye test or his general play inside/outside the pocket, scramble drill, etc.

Wilson makes unbelievable plays and led the league in TD passes last year, but remove all of those plays from the film and you see a different QB.

I'll try and post up the list later. The top 10 QBs are all the names you would expect....

Anyways, when Wilson moves up on the efficiency list to merely 12-15, he will be considered a #3 QB maybe.

Even that 34 TDs last year, I hear half of them in the 4th quarter.....

So that's about 16 TDs for quarters 1-3, that's about 1 TD pass a game for the first three quarters.....not great.
    Last edited by NINEster on Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
    NINEster
    NET Veteran

• Behind one of the worst running games/o lines in NFL history.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

• SoulfishHawk wrote:Behind one of the worst running games/o lines in NFL history.

As long as we're clear:

Wilson used to have a good run block OL back in the day.

Pass block OL is hard to have when you are good at run block. Double if you have a QB like Wilson and not a standard drop back guy.

Max Unger is the biggest trade loss in recent Seahawk history.
    NINEster
    NET Veteran

• Britt has been pretty good. Russ is top 5 in the league.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

• NINEster wrote:Third best QB in the NFL shouldn't have ranked 26th last year in scoring efficiency (drives led/drives ending in a score).

It's the one stat I've found that finally confirms my issue with Wilson being a truly top QB instead of a top "playmaking QB". No longer do I have to just talk about eye test or his general play inside/outside the pocket, scramble drill, etc.

Wilson makes unbelievable plays and led the league in TD passes last year, but remove all of those plays from the film and you see a different QB.

I'll try and post up the list later. The top 10 QBs are all the names you would expect....

Anyways, when Wilson moves up on the efficiency list to merely 12-15, he will be considered a #3 QB maybe.

So that's about 16 TDs for quarters 1-3, that's about 1 TD pass a game for the first three quarters.....not great.

Strange criticism.

Now it's not the number of TD passes thrown by a QB during the season, it's WHEN they are thrown that is important. wtf

But even if it were, would you not want them thrown in the 4th quarter when the game is on the line?????

Can you win the game in the 1st quarter?... the 2nd quarter?... need I go on.
    Superbowl XLVIII Champions..."Can't keep everyone."
    onanygivensunday
    NET Veteran

• Maybe he should worry about his own over-rated/over-hyped QB.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

• NINEster wrote:
    SoulfishHawk wrote:Behind one of the worst running games/o lines in NFL history.

As long as we're clear:

Wilson used to have a good run block OL back in the day.

Pass block OL is hard to have when you are good at run block. Double if you have a QB like Wilson and not a standard drop back guy.

Max Unger is the biggest trade loss in recent Seahawk history.

Wilson is #2 all-time in QB rating. That is just about as efficient as it gets.

The biggest thing holding the offense back has been play calling. I’m excited about the new OC.
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

• Very good point, play calling has been absolutely putrid.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

• Well I for one am Glad that Russell is now flying helicopters so he can get from here to Portland real quick like!! :twisted: :mrgreen:

Seymour
    NET Veteran

• NINEster wrote:Third best QB in the NFL shouldn't have ranked 26th last year in scoring efficiency (drives led/drives ending in a score).

I actually agree with Ninester that our offense was much worse than it appeared last year and that the passing game was woeful despite RW's really good TD/INT ratio (every other stat was subpar). In context, though, he was held back more by factors out of his control than his own play. How I rank the problems with our offense:

1. Bad offensive line
    2. Bad playcalling/gameplanning
    3. Penalties
    4. Bad/unhealthy RBs
    5. QB play

Let's look at the other QBs in the mix for top 5 (people's lists vary so more than five listed here)

1. Rodgers: playcalling is about as stale, OL is WAY better in pass protection, WRs a bit better, young and promising RBs a bit better

2. Brady: playcalling much better, OL considerably better overall, WRs worse, TE much better, RBs comparable

3. Brees: playcalling way better, OL way better in both facets, WRs about equal, RBs much better.

4. Ryan: playcalling better (look at their drive stats), OL better overall, WRs and RBs way better

5. Ben: playcalling?? OL much better, WRs much better, RBs much better

6. Wentz (lol should barely be top 10 IMO but people are putting him at #3!): much better playcalling, best OL in league, WRs are better, RBs better

Every single top-tier QB has a better situation that Russell Wilson does right now. The top 3 are definitely better than him straight up and the next three might be too, but you can't say any of them are working with less on offense. For some of them it isn't even close.
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran

• adeltaY wrote:
    NINEster wrote:Third best QB in the NFL shouldn't have ranked 26th last year in scoring efficiency (drives led/drives ending in a score).

I actually agree with Ninester that our offense was much worse than it appeared last year and that the passing game was woeful despite RW's really good TD/INT ratio (every other stat was subpar). In context, though, he was held back more by factors out of his control than his own play. How I rank the problems with our offense:

1. Bad offensive line
    2. Bad playcalling/gameplanning
    3. Penalties
    4. Bad/unhealthy RBs
    5. QB play

Let's look at the other QBs in the mix for top 5 (people's lists vary so more than five listed here)

1. Rodgers: playcalling is about as stale, OL is WAY better in pass protection, WRs a bit better, young and promising RBs a bit better

2. Brady: playcalling much better, OL considerably better overall, WRs worse, TE much better, RBs comparable

3. Brees: playcalling way better, OL way better in both facets, WRs about equal, RBs much better.

4. Ryan: playcalling better (look at their drive stats), OL better overall, WRs and RBs way better

5. Ben: playcalling?? OL much better, WRs much better, RBs much better

6. Wentz (lol should barely be top 10 IMO but people are putting him at #3!): much better playcalling, best OL in league, WRs are better, RBs better

Every single top-tier QB has a better situation that Russell Wilson does right now. The top 3 are definitely better than him straight up and the next three might be too, but you can't say any of them are working with less on offense. For some of them it isn't even close.

I wouldn't say Matt Ryan's play calling is better. Rodgers' play calling was certainly better.

Let's see what Brian Schottenheimer accomplishes. His intelligence is obvious. This will be the most talented offense he has been a part of, by far. I'm very hopeful.
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

• Sark was very underrated because he had some true blunders in big moments, such as on the potential game winning goal line possession in the playoffs. The Falcons offense was actually really good in terms of yards per drive, points per drive, and other efficiency metrics. ICE had awful luck with INTs this year, I think at least half of them were due to receiver error.

Rodgers has had bad playcalling for the past few years. People don't notice it because he's so good that he elevates the offense, largely with incredible precision throws and playing out of structure (like RW propped up our former offensive regime). McCarthy has been holding him back for too long, but that's fine for the Seahawks.
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran

• adeltaY wrote:Sark was very underrated because he had some true blunders in big moments, such as on the potential game winning goal line possession in the playoffs. The Falcons offense was actually really good in terms of yards per drive, points per drive, and other efficiency metrics. ICE had awful luck with INTs this year, I think at least half of them were due to receiver error.

Rodgers has had bad playcalling for the past few years. People don't notice it because he's so good that he elevates the offense, largely with incredible precision throws and playing out of structure (like RW propped up our former offensive regime). McCarthy has been holding him back for too long, but that's fine for the Seahawks.

Irrelevant to the the topic, but agree to disagree on both points.
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

• There will never be a day in the career of Russell Wilson where he wakes up and is better than Drew Brees was at any point in his career.
    I'm fly
    I should be in the sky with birds
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

• So what? He's still one of the best in football.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

• KitsapGuy wrote:
    Aros wrote:I literally don't have a clue who this Davis Hsu is, and for that matter why any of us care what he has to say?

His followers include some high profile names. So he isn't just some clown throwing stuff around.

https://twitter.com/DavisHsuSeattle/fol ... you_follow

I follow Jim Gaffigan because I think he's funny. Very possible that those high profile names are following Hsu because they also feel that his posts are comedic relief. The guy is a blowhard tool.
    "There is no delay of game. We did not let the team know we were scratching our balls"
    IBleedBlueAndGreen
    * NET Injury Guru *

• Tical21 wrote:There will never be a day in the career of Russell Wilson where he wakes up and is better than Drew Brees was at any point in his career.

Qualify and quantify, please, Tical, if you wish this point to hold any validity.
    NET Veteran

• Ad Hawk wrote:
    Tical21 wrote:There will never be a day in the career of Russell Wilson where he wakes up and is better than Drew Brees was at any point in his career.

Qualify and quantify, please, Tical, if you wish this point to hold any validity.

Like when Russell Wilson is 35 and and Drew Brees is 45?
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

• Tical21 wrote:There will never be a day in the career of Russell Wilson where he wakes up and is better than Drew Brees was at any point in his career.

I know the point you're trying to make as a pure QB, but Russ is better all-around than him right now.

Put Brees on the Hawks, and Russell on the Saints, what do you think happens last year? Does Brees put up Wilson's numbers behind that O-Line with no running game? I say not a chance. He would of have been injured most likely and called washed up. Russell on the other hand probably would of set the passer rating record for a single season, and won the MVP. He nearly won the MVP last year with the worst protection, and that historically bad running game.

At the end of the day Russ still has a higher career passer rating, despite the Cable/Bevell handicap. Give Russ Sean Payton, and the Saints O-Line. Plus with Russ' ability to get it done with his legs, c'mon son.

I find it absolutely miraculous Russ is the 2nd highest rated passer of all-time. Given the clown car show he has been surrounded by for years.

Highest Rated Passers of All-Time
    1st Rodgers 103.8
    2nd Wilson 98.8
    3rd Brady 97.6
    --
    --
    6th Brees 96.7

If Russ has never been better than Brees he should not have a higher career rating than him, he should not even be close to him actually. Especially when you factor in Brees being paired with Payton, and good to great O-Lines. While Russ has been paired with the opposite. Also look at Brees career before he linked up with Payton. Brees had 1 good season out of 5. Brees didn't start putting up monster numbers until he linked up with Payton, and I don't think that was a coincidence. Brees would have still been awesome, Payton made/makes him awesomer.

Russ is an extremely rare Steve Young / Fran Tarkenton hybrid that has been underappreciated by not just the national media blowhards, but sadly his own fan base. Appreciated him folks.
    Fade
    NET Veteran

• Brees also said Schotty was the guy that helped him jump to the next level when he was in San Diego, we have something to look forward to.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• Sporting News is owned by Paul Allen.

18 months ago John Clayton said RW was the best QB in the league, basically echoing several other talking heads in the media. A few months later they said he wasn't top 8.

Blah, blah, blah. Who cares what the pundits say. The only thing important is what Pete and JS think.
    Thomas Paine: To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead
    Seafan
    NET Veteran

• Seafan wrote:Sporting News is owned by Paul Allen.

18 months ago John Clayton said RW was the best QB in the league, basically echoing several other talking heads in the media. A few months later they said he wasn't top 8.

Blah, blah, blah. Who cares what the pundits say. The only thing important is what Pete and JS think.

What do you think they think?
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran

Can you tell me how to see the future, too?
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

• Not much I'm going to say to this RW slobfest thread except I will wait
    till the season to say if he is worth the $35-40 million a year you want
    to toss @him.
    The rankings I could care less about..I want wins and smart QB play.
    Will Dissly
    2018 Adopt a rookie
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

• IndyHawk wrote:Not much I'm going to say to this RW slobfest thread except I will wait
    till the season to say if he is worth the $35-40 million a year you want
    to toss @him.
    The rankings I could care less about..I want wins and smart QB play.

He's worth whatever he says he's worth. The question is how much he wants to win because the QBs who do tend to take less money.
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

Next

It is currently Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:55 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information