Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Will Dissly - The Lumbering Giant

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:11 pm
  • J.S. "You can't hear the ball hit his hands."

Samuel Gold: "He blocks well in to the play, while others are standing there, watching the play develop. That kind of persistence is going to endear him to the rest of the guys in the locker room."

Unk: "He's 'Catch & Carry' as in he catches the ball and carries defenders down the field."

Film Room: How Will Dissly instantly upgrades the Seahawks' running game (NFL Draft 2018 Ep. 19)

"God Bless the Seattle Seahawks" Cortez Kennedy

http://ivotuk.com/
    ivotuk
    * NET Moderator *

Re: Will Dissly - The Lumbering Giant
Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:39 am
  • Lets hope he can become Zach Miller, excellent blocker and a reliable guy over the middle to convert third downs.
    mistaowen
    NET Veteran

Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:06 am
  • I can't wait to watch him in preseason. A guy that can help convert both a 3rd & 2 and a 3rd & 5 with different skillsets.
    Jac
    NET Veteran

Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:04 am
  • If he becomes 80% of what Zach Miller did for the team it will help the run game!
    DontRussellWithMe
    NET Bench Warmer

Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:44 am
  • The drafting and the post draft praises of Will’s blocking prowess was the franchise’s not so subtle way of flipping a finger at Jimmy Graham.

Every off season Jimmy talked about working on blocking, came game time, he seldom made real effort, sometimes didn’t even try.

If Will lived up to the billing, our blocking WILL improve, no doubt about it. Simple math of six linemen vs five.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    ++ You can call me a homer, but I am not the only one ++
    toffee
    NET Veteran

Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:15 am
  • I don’t think it’s a middle finger to Graham. If anyone is to blame for Graham not fitting in this team it’s Pete and/or JS. Graham continued to play the same way he played in New Orleans while he was here and it just didn’t fit. That’s the job of the GM and coach to decide whether or not he’s worth the capital it took to acquire in trade. I have nothing against Graham although I’m very glad he’s gone.
    endzorn
    NET Veteran

Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:37 am
  • Yeah, Graham is a heck or a WR and slot, but he's not a TE and was asked to be. That's not on him, but also glad he's not here anymore.
    vin.couve12
    .NET Poster of the Month

Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:39 am
  • toffee wrote:The drafting and the post draft praises of Will’s blocking prowess was the franchise’s not so subtle way of flipping a finger at Jimmy Graham.

Every off season Jimmy talked about working on blocking, came game time, he seldom made real effort, sometimes didn’t even try.

Jimmy cant block. Never could. Asking him to do so is reflective of how bad our coaching staff was.

I think Graham will be giving us the middle finger when he is enshrined in Canton with NFL fans not remembering or even knowing who Will Dissly even is or was.
    pittpnthrs
    NET Veteran

Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:42 am
  • Jac wrote:I can't wait to watch him in preseason. A guy that can help convert both a 3rd & 2 and a 3rd & 5 with different skillsets.

This should be the most exciting preseason since 2012. The 3rd and 4th quarters won't be so boring as I'm sure will see plenty of McGough, Flowers, Dickson, Griffin, Dissly. etc.
    jlwaters1
    NET Veteran

Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:23 pm
  • pittpnthrs wrote:
    toffee wrote:The drafting and the post draft praises of Will’s blocking prowess was the franchise’s not so subtle way of flipping a finger at Jimmy Graham.

Jimmy cant block. Never could. Asking him to do so is reflective of how bad our coaching staff was.

I think Graham will be giving us the middle finger when he is enshrined in Canton with NFL fans not remembering or even knowing who Will Dissly even is or was.

Graham was being overpaid, he WOULDN'T even TRY to LEARN block, so as far as I'm concerned, he LIMETED his worth, & was an incomplete TE....Gates, Gronkowski, were/are COVETED for their willingness to do whatever the Coaches asked of them...They are without a doubt, HOF players.
    Not saying that JG won't become a HOF'r, but his play not anywhere near as stellar as it could be IF he'd have put forth a little more effort.
    Pete & the Seahawks TRIED to Coach him to become a more complete player, it's a shame that he couldn't cut the mustard.
    AND, you can't state for a fact that Will Dissly won't excel in Seattle, He's more of a bring the lunch pail give it his all type player....LIKE GATES & GRONK
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:40 pm
  • scutterhawk wrote:
    pittpnthrs wrote:
    toffee wrote:The drafting and the post draft praises of Will’s blocking prowess was the franchise’s not so subtle way of flipping a finger at Jimmy Graham.

Graham was being overpaid, he WOULDN'T even TRY to LEARN block, so as far as I'm concerned, he LIMETED his worth, & was an incomplete TE....Gates, Gronkowski, were/are COVETED for their willingness to do whatever the Coaches asked of them...They are without a doubt, HOF players.
    Not saying that JG won't become a HOF'r, but his play not anywhere near as stellar as it could be IF he'd have put forth a little more effort.
    Pete & the Seahawks TRIED to Coach him to become a more complete player, it's a shame that he couldn't cut the mustard.
    AND, you can't state for a fact that Will Dissly won't excel in Seattle, He's more of a bring the lunch pail give it his all type player....LIKE GATES & GRONK

My point exactly, it was Jimmy’s attitude or arrogance when it comes to learning/improving his blocking. Blocking is and always will be in any TE’s job description, all the HOF TEs were at least willing to block.

Every off season he paid lip service to blocking, no doubt just to get coaches off his back. His blocking negatively impacted our running game and pass blocking. A dominating OL might have hide his deficiencies, but not the Cable OL of last three years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

++ You can call me a homer, but I am not the only one ++
    toffee
    NET Veteran

Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:43 pm
  • Back on topic. Love the pick, but I saw one thing in the Dissly videos that might be problematic. It looks to me like he has a tendency to get his hands outside the body frame. I don't think he'll get away with that as much in the pros. But that is what pre-season is for, right? Seems it should be coachable. Sounds like a hard working guy.

Looks like Dissly will be a solid addition.
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:35 pm
  • sutz wrote:Back on topic. Love the pick, but I saw one thing in the Dissly videos that might be problematic. It looks to me like he has a tendency to get his hands outside the body frame. I don't think he'll get away with that as much in the pros. But that is what pre-season is for, right? Seems it should be coachable. Sounds like a hard working guy.

Yeah saw that too, sure he got away with it in college because of his strength and size. Hopefully he gets some serious time in O-line practices because this guy looks really promising.

All I wanted from a TE in the offseason is someone who can block. This guy looks like he can eventually pull that off in the pros. Along with that, guy has hands and is good after the catch. Could care less about his athleticism. Improve what he is already good at and I will be extremely happy. Really excited about this pick.
    "It's Ground Hawks Day" Chris Berman
    seahawkfreak
    NET Veteran

Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:47 pm
  • endzorn wrote:I don’t think it’s a middle finger to Graham. If anyone is to blame for Graham not fitting in this team it’s Pete and/or JS. Graham continued to play the same way he played in New Orleans while he was here and it just didn’t fit. That’s the job of the GM and coach to decide whether or not he’s worth the capital it took to acquire in trade. I have nothing against Graham although I’m very glad he’s gone.

All of this. So Frustrating trying to make Graham what he is not.
    Smellyman
    NET Veteran

Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:14 pm
  • People are hyped for a 5th round blocking tight end. Can't say I expect more then that but hopefully he can contribute as a pass catcher too.
    getnasty
    NET Veteran

Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:35 pm
  • getnasty wrote:People are hyped for a 5th round blocking tight end. Can't say I expect more then that but hopefully he can contribute as a pass catcher too.

Well it has been something missing and very important to our team's identity. You can not have a run first offense without a legit blocking TE.

Also, 4th round pick.
    "It's Ground Hawks Day" Chris Berman
    seahawkfreak
    NET Veteran

Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:39 pm
  • getnasty wrote:People are hyped for a 5th round blocking tight end. Can't say I expect more then that but hopefully he can contribute as a pass catcher too.

I’m hyped because Dissly’s skill set is what we need and the kid is buying in and working to improve his game. In my opinion, I’ll take 53 average players willing to work & improve their game than a bunch of top notch talent and a 10 cent head (See Bruce Irvin)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    AKNFidel
    NET Practice Squad

Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:28 pm

People wouldn't be as excited if he went to any other school but UW. Local fans and local media are aiding in hyping him.

That and fans have been hoping for Zach Miller for a while now. Got excited for Vannett too. Didn't pan out yet, but he's still young
    Smellyman
    NET Veteran

Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:34 pm

4th Rd. ;)

sutz
    USMC 1970-77

Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:11 pm
  • sutz wrote:
    getnasty wrote:People are hyped for a 5th round blocking tight end. Can't say I expect more then that but hopefully he can contribute as a pass catcher too.

4th Rd. ;)

^This. But why be accurate? :lol:
    kf3339
    NET Veteran

Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:36 pm
  • sutz wrote:Back on topic. Love the pick, but I saw one thing in the Dissly videos that might be problematic. It looks to me like he has a tendency to get his hands outside the body frame. I don't think he'll get away with that as much in the pros. But that is what pre-season is for, right? Seems it should be coachable. Sounds like a hard working guy.

Good point. He hits like a freight train. Potential is there to be a great blocker, but he's gotta to clean up a lot of stuff. He's got to bend his knees and stay low.

hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:40 pm
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:42 am
  • hawknation2018 wrote:Image

I love how pumped he is to put that defender on his back. It makes me want to go block somebody. Blocking ability aside, that blocking tenacity is also going to be infectious. I'm UW alum, but that's not the reason I'm excited for the guy. He's the kind of role player that I tend to covet on other teams...a lunchpail player that does things to help elevate all the skill players. I can totally imagine commentators bringing up replays and saying things like "Watch Will Dissly help clear that lane..."
    Jac
    NET Veteran

Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:32 am
  • Blocking is very much a "wanna do it" talent. Players who don't want to never get good at it. Players like Graham (there I am drifting OT ;) ). Remember, Graham held out in NO because he wanted to be paid like a premier WR, but lost in arbitration IIRC. IAE, you can't teach something to someone who refuses to lear. That's true in all walks of life.

Dissly looks very much like he likes hitting guys and putting them down. From what I've read, he also has a very high catch rate, so I look forward to seeing what he can do for us.

sutz
    USMC 1970-77

Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:29 am
  • Watched him knock the snot out of people on blocks his entire career at UW. He's the real deal.
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:37 am
  • hawknation2018 wrote:Image

:D This clip cracks me up! He railroads that guy, shoves him in to the ground, then reacts like "Dang! He fell over! I wanted to shove him some more!"

He's probably got his own blocking dummy at home that he pushes up and down the street. "Hey kids! Jump on!"

ivotuk
    * NET Moderator *

Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:28 pm

Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:53 pm
  • Smellyman wrote:
    getnasty wrote:People are hyped for a 5th round blocking tight end. Can't say I expect more then that but hopefully he can contribute as a pass catcher too.

People wouldn't be as excited if he went to any other school but UW. Local fans and local media are aiding in hyping him.

That and fans have been hoping for Zach Miller for a while now. Got excited for Vannett too. Didn't pan out yet, but he's still young

Could also be that because he went to UW, many fans and local media know what he can do firsthand, rather than just via youtube videos and scouting reports.

Interesting take though. You a fan of a different local college perhaps? ;)
    Hawkpower
    NET Veteran

Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:13 am
  • ivotuk wrote:
    hawknation2018 wrote:Image

:D This clip cracks me up! He railroads that guy, shoves him in to the ground, then reacts like "Dang! He fell over! I wanted to shove him some more!"

He's probably got his own blocking dummy at home that he pushes up and down the street. "Hey kids! Jump on!"

Actually I think he's mad that for all his good blocking, his guy made the tackle.
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer

Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:04 am
  • Running back got hit/grabbed several times to slow him down, then Will's guy got an ankle. Looks like 97 set the edge, then was the first one to grab him, then 66 plugged up the running lane and got in on the action, then 15 and Will's guy.

Dissly did his job, but I think you're right. He's the kind of guy IMHO, that would never look to blame anyone else, but would shoulder the responsibility. Still, it looks like they made a 1st down.

ivotuk
    * NET Moderator *

It is currently Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:45 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information