Will Dissly - The Lumbering Giant

ivotuk

Reaction score
J.S. "You can't hear the ball hit his hands."

Samuel Gold: "He blocks well in to the play, while others are standing there, watching the play develop. That kind of persistence is going to endear him to the rest of the guys in the locker room."

Unk: "He's 'Catch & Carry' as in he catches the ball and carries defenders down the field."

[youtube]39gHOhSA5hE[/youtube]

Film Room: How Will Dissly instantly upgrades the Seahawks' running game (NFL Draft 2018 Ep. 19)

[youtube]T3_igGTdiuQ[/youtube]

mistaowen

Reaction score
Lets hope he can become Zach Miller, excellent blocker and a reliable guy over the middle to convert third downs.

Jac

Reaction score
I can't wait to watch him in preseason. A guy that can help convert both a 3rd & 2 and a 3rd & 5 with different skillsets.

toffee

Reaction score
The drafting and the post draft praises of Will’s blocking prowess was the franchise’s not so subtle way of flipping a finger at Jimmy Graham.

Every off season Jimmy talked about working on blocking, came game time, he seldom made real effort, sometimes didn’t even try.

If Will lived up to the billing, our blocking WILL improve, no doubt about it. Simple math of six linemen vs five.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

endzorn

Reaction score
I don’t think it’s a middle finger to Graham. If anyone is to blame for Graham not fitting in this team it’s Pete and/or JS. Graham continued to play the same way he played in New Orleans while he was here and it just didn’t fit. That’s the job of the GM and coach to decide whether or not he’s worth the capital it took to acquire in trade. I have nothing against Graham although I’m very glad he’s gone.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Yeah, Graham is a heck or a WR and slot, but he's not a TE and was asked to be. That's not on him, but also glad he's not here anymore.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
toffee":354rx8fp said:
The drafting and the post draft praises of Will’s blocking prowess was the franchise’s not so subtle way of flipping a finger at Jimmy Graham.

Every off season Jimmy talked about working on blocking, came game time, he seldom made real effort, sometimes didn’t even try.

Jimmy cant block. Never could. Asking him to do so is reflective of how bad our coaching staff was.

I think Graham will be giving us the middle finger when he is enshrined in Canton with NFL fans not remembering or even knowing who Will Dissly even is or was.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
Jac":i57ikxvl said:
I can't wait to watch him in preseason. A guy that can help convert both a 3rd & 2 and a 3rd & 5 with different skillsets.

This should be the most exciting preseason since 2012. The 3rd and 4th quarters won't be so boring as I'm sure will see plenty of McGough, Flowers, Dickson, Griffin, Dissly. etc.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":3it463wy said:
toffee":3it463wy said:

Jimmy cant block. Never could. Asking him to do so is reflective of how bad our coaching staff was.

I think Graham will be giving us the middle finger when he is enshrined in Canton with NFL fans not remembering or even knowing who Will Dissly even is or was.

Graham was being overpaid, he WOULDN'T even TRY to LEARN block, so as far as I'm concerned, he LIMETED his worth, & was an incomplete TE....Gates, Gronkowski, were/are COVETED for their willingness to do whatever the Coaches asked of them...They are without a doubt, HOF players.
Not saying that JG won't become a HOF'r, but his play not anywhere near as stellar as it could be IF he'd have put forth a little more effort.
Pete & the Seahawks TRIED to Coach him to become a more complete player, it's a shame that he couldn't cut the mustard.
AND, you can't state for a fact that Will Dissly won't excel in Seattle, He's more of a bring the lunch pail give it his all type player....LIKE GATES & GRONK

toffee

Reaction score
scutterhawk":1uswtpqd said:
pittpnthrs":1uswtpqd said:
toffee":1uswtpqd said:

Graham was being overpaid, he WOULDN'T even TRY to LEARN block, so as far as I'm concerned, he LIMETED his worth, & was an incomplete TE....Gates, Gronkowski, were/are COVETED for their willingness to do whatever the Coaches asked of them...They are without a doubt, HOF players.
Not saying that JG won't become a HOF'r, but his play not anywhere near as stellar as it could be IF he'd have put forth a little more effort.
Pete & the Seahawks TRIED to Coach him to become a more complete player, it's a shame that he couldn't cut the mustard.
AND, you can't state for a fact that Will Dissly won't excel in Seattle, He's more of a bring the lunch pail give it his all type player....LIKE GATES & GRONK

My point exactly, it was Jimmy’s attitude or arrogance when it comes to learning/improving his blocking. Blocking is and always will be in any TE’s job description, all the HOF TEs were at least willing to block.

Every off season he paid lip service to blocking, no doubt just to get coaches off his back. His blocking negatively impacted our running game and pass blocking. A dominating OL might have hide his deficiencies, but not the Cable OL of last three years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sutz

Reaction score
Back on topic. Love the pick, but I saw one thing in the Dissly videos that might be problematic. It looks to me like he has a tendency to get his hands outside the body frame. I don't think he'll get away with that as much in the pros. But that is what pre-season is for, right? Seems it should be coachable. Sounds like a hard working guy.

Looks like Dissly will be a solid addition.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
sutz":1tn3p7e8 said:
Back on topic. Love the pick, but I saw one thing in the Dissly videos that might be problematic. It looks to me like he has a tendency to get his hands outside the body frame. I don't think he'll get away with that as much in the pros. But that is what pre-season is for, right? Seems it should be coachable. Sounds like a hard working guy.

Looks like Dissly will be a solid addition.

Yeah saw that too, sure he got away with it in college because of his strength and size. Hopefully he gets some serious time in O-line practices because this guy looks really promising.

All I wanted from a TE in the offseason is someone who can block. This guy looks like he can eventually pull that off in the pros. Along with that, guy has hands and is good after the catch. Could care less about his athleticism. Improve what he is already good at and I will be extremely happy. Really excited about this pick.

Smellyman

Reaction score
endzorn":1y90p9x8 said:
I don’t think it’s a middle finger to Graham. If anyone is to blame for Graham not fitting in this team it’s Pete and/or JS. Graham continued to play the same way he played in New Orleans while he was here and it just didn’t fit. That’s the job of the GM and coach to decide whether or not he’s worth the capital it took to acquire in trade. I have nothing against Graham although I’m very glad he’s gone.

All of this. So Frustrating trying to make Graham what he is not.

getnasty

Reaction score
People are hyped for a 5th round blocking tight end. Can't say I expect more then that but hopefully he can contribute as a pass catcher too.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
getnasty":i1ty1ht1 said:
People are hyped for a 5th round blocking tight end. Can't say I expect more then that but hopefully he can contribute as a pass catcher too.

Well it has been something missing and very important to our team's identity. You can not have a run first offense without a legit blocking TE.

Also, 4th round pick.

AKNFidel

Reaction score
getnasty":1jh3q2fx said:

I’m hyped because Dissly’s skill set is what we need and the kid is buying in and working to improve his game. In my opinion, I’ll take 53 average players willing to work & improve their game than a bunch of top notch talent and a 10 cent head (See Bruce Irvin)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Smellyman

Reaction score
getnasty":3cdjq9xk said:

People wouldn't be as excited if he went to any other school but UW. Local fans and local media are aiding in hyping him.

That and fans have been hoping for Zach Miller for a while now. Got excited for Vannett too. Didn't pan out yet, but he's still young

sutz

Reaction score
getnasty":2mja5go2 said:
4th Rd. ;)

kf3339

Reaction score
sutz":2p4kfp3r said:
getnasty":2p4kfp3r said:
4th Rd. ;)

^This. But why be accurate? :lol: