Coach Carroll's FInal OTA Press Conference

hawknation2018

Reaction score
[youtube]6mFzYgFATgo[/youtube]

“What has really jumped out is Chris Carson,” Carroll said. “Chris has looked incredible the whole time, the entire offseason. He hasn’t missed one snap of anything. He just looks so fit, he’s just so cut and quick and explosive and all that. He might be the guy, when you look at everybody, who jumps out in that regard.”

https://www.seahawks.com/news/five-thin ... ay-of-otas

OP
OP
hawknation2018

hawknation2018

Reaction score
HEAD COACH PETE CARROLL
OTA #9
June 7, 2018

(Opening) “Today is really kind of the final exam for this offseason. We’ve been through Phase 1, 2 and 3 now, so today was about putting them in as many situations as we could to see how much they understand about our football, make them have to think and use all the installation that has been presented to the guys. And we had really good work today, got a ton of situations taken care of, and I really though the guys were really focused into it. We’ve had a very, very good offseason to this point. We’ve got minicamp coming up this week, then it’ll be in the book for this season. We’ve made a lot of progress, there has been a lot of communication emphasis here between coaches and players, and players and players, across the board. I’m really pleased with what we’re seeing. Energy was great again, and really we look like we’ve recaptured the mentality that we need to practice the way we need to practice. We’ll get through this minicamp, then when we come back is when we really start football. This is really OTA football; you’re really under control and managed, and the guys really stuck to it and did a nice job, we got a lot of work done.”

(On what he saw to sense they recaptured the mentality) “Really, to see if they’re tuned every day we’ve been out here. I couldn’t tell you after a couple of day, I’ve got to see, do they hold it throughout everything that we’ve been doing? Meaning they bring their energy, they bring their focus, they’ve got good attitude about it, they’re flying around and hustling around. It doesn’t tell many anything if they do it four or five times, it’s, do they do it every single day? That’s really the mark that we’re on point, and guys came through in a great way in that fashion.”

(On if that mentality wavered in the past couple of years) “No, not necessarily. But every year I would always tell you the exact same thing—the first thing we’ve got to do is recapture our work ethic. It has been paramount in the presentation of our approach and philosophy. It doesn’t matter about your football, if the guys don’t work hard and bust your tails, then you’re not making the most of your opportunities, so that’s really what that’s about. I think there’s a sense of energy that there is some newness, you can feel it. I really appreciate that the guys are in that mentality. There’s some opportunities for positions and openings and stuff that are available, and you can feel them, they know. They know what we’re looking for, we spent a lot of time talking about what’s important to us as a staff as we’re trying to put our team together—the mentality the need to bring, the energy they need to bring and the consistency they need to bring. These guys matched the criteria there and gave themselves a good shot. It’s going to be a very, very competitive camp with a lot of really exciting spots to watch. So it’ll be fun to see how it goes.”

(On what he’s seen from Shaquill Griffin in offseason workouts) “He has been really comfortably involved with everything. He just looks like he’s a veteran. He grew a ton out of last season. Remember, we didn’t have a lot of problems with him last year. There was not an inconsistency to him, there was not the rookie wall, there was none of that kind of stuff. He just kept cruising all the way through and had a really consistent first season, and he has just kind of picked up where he left off. It’s kind of like—on the other side of the ball—one of the things Russell (Wilson) has always impressed us with is how consistently he approaches everything. There’s never much fluctuation in his intensity and his focus; I see that in Shaq. He has had a great body of work that he put together in this offseason getting ready, so it’s a good sign. It means that last season didn’t affect him in any negative ways, didn’t distract him in any ways, and that’s important to see.”

(On Griffin moving to left cornerback) “It just depends on the guys. We started early, so we had to wait and see. Physically it was no problem, he had played back in forth in earlier years. His mentality about it was fine, he was wide open to it. That’s most of it. If a guy feels uncomfortable and he’s telling you he’s feeling uncomfortable, then he is. He never balked at it at all, and there’s no signs of any evidence at all that it’s going to be a problem.”

(On why Griffin is going to left corner) “Just wanted to do that, because we think Maxie (Byron Maxwell) has done a really nice job on the other side, and we thought if we’re going to balance it out and open it up, let’s open it up on the right side and see what happens.”

(On Tyler Lockett’s offseason) “It has really been a blessing for him to be able to get his legs back underneath him. Last year it was a struggle throughout the season—the offseason for certain—but through the season itself, he was not able to do things in the same manner he had done in years past. That’s really just workload, he just couldn’t do as much, he had to take care of his legs more. He’s back at it, he’s really playing fast, he has no resemblance of any after effects of the surgery. So that’s real positive. He looked great today in particular.”

(On if he’s expecting Earl Thomas to be here for minicamp) “Yeah, it’s mandatory, so we expect everybody to show up.”

(On if there is anyone who impressed him with how they looked coming back this offseason) “What has really jumped out is Chris Carson. Chris has looked incredible the whole time, the entire offseason. He hasn’t missed one snap of anything. He just looks so fit, he’s just so cut and quick and explosive and all that. He might be the guy, when you look at everybody, who jumps out in that regard. Doug (Baldwin) and Russell (Wilson) had really good work up to now. They have really been the best they’ve ever been, looked the tightest they’ve ever been. Schotty (Brian Schottenheimer) has helped them in some ways that shows that. There’s a bunch of guys—Duane Brown has looked phenomenal throughout the camp, he has just looked great; Jarran Reed has been at his best; Ethan Pocic came back 20 pounds heavier after a really great offseason of work that we really wanted him to do, and he just carried it off and did a beautiful job. I could keep going, there’s a lot of guys, but those guy are really the guys that are kind of at the top of it. And I’m going to get in trouble with Bobby and K.J. and all the rest of those guys, but those guys looked good.

(On the next six weeks after minicamp next week) “These six weeks coming up are like the six weeks of our lives. These guys have got to figure it out how to find a way to get in a great regimen. We’re really talking a bunch about the plan that they’re setting. It’s a long, long time to break from football to come back and start, and 12 days later you’re playing games. So I’m really concerned about that, and have been—last year was really the first time we really had six weeks. It’s a long break for these guys. After all this great work they had, they’re in terrific shape right now, almost everybody’s back out working, then to take six weeks off, that’s a long haul. I’m really hoping we can make a great impression on these guys. They’ll do a great job working their schedules out so they can together and stay fit and sharp and tough and all that, so that we can come back to camp and hit it.”

(On if Carson is back to full steam) “He’s absolutely full steam. He has just had a great offseason. He was really frustrated about not being able to finish us last year, and he put it to work. He did it. I’m excited to see how he goes. He’s going to play really good for us when we get back.”

(On Dion Jordan) “He had a surgery, kind of an after surgery to correct a little something. Everything went really well, and we’re hoping that by camp time he’ll be ready to rip and all that. A little knee thing. He’s has some complications over time, so it was worth it to go ahead and clean this thing up. It was a really small issue, but it’s one that was going to sit him down for six to eight weeks, so we just went ahead and did it.”

(On if George Fant will be ready for camp) “Yeah. George could probably get out now if we need him to, but it’s just not worth it to do that. He’s chomping at the bit. Now he has had two years of lifting and getting his strength training in order, he looks great. He has done everything, he has been here the whole time working with us, so we feel really good about the process of getting him ready. There’s just no reason to do it. I don’t know if you saw D.J. Fluker had missed some time, got out there today and should give us some more work next week. We had a chance to help him out too with something that came off of last season, so we rested him a lot during this time, and now he’s ready to go again.”

toffee

Reaction score
hawknation2018":14wrhvow said:
HEAD COACH PETE CARROLL
OTA #9
June 7, 2018

(Opening) “Today is really kind of the final exam for this offseason. We’ve been through Phase 1, 2 and 3 now, so today was about putting them in as many situations as we could to see how much they understand about our football, make them have to think and use all the installation that has been presented to the guys. And we had really good work today, got a ton of situations taken care of, and I really though the guys were really focused into it. We’ve had a very, very good offseason to this point. We’ve got minicamp coming up this week, then it’ll be in the book for this season. We’ve made a lot of progress, there has been a lot of communication emphasis here between coaches and players, and players and players, across the board. I’m really pleased with what we’re seeing. Energy was great again, and really we look like we’ve recaptured the mentality that we need to practice the way we need to practice. We’ll get through this minicamp, then when we come back is when we really start football. This is really OTA football; you’re really under control and managed, and the guys really stuck to it and did a nice job, we got a lot of work done.”

(On what he saw to sense they recaptured the mentality) “Really, to see if they’re tuned every day we’ve been out here. I couldn’t tell you after a couple of day, I’ve got to see, do they hold it throughout everything that we’ve been doing? Meaning they bring their energy, they bring their focus, they’ve got good attitude about it, they’re flying around and hustling around. It doesn’t tell many anything if they do it four or five times, it’s, do they do it every single day? That’s really the mark that we’re on point, and guys came through in a great way in that fashion.”

(On if that mentality wavered in the past couple of years) “No, not necessarily. But every year I would always tell you the exact same thing—the first thing we’ve got to do is recapture our work ethic. It has been paramount in the presentation of our approach and philosophy. It doesn’t matter about your football, if the guys don’t work hard and bust your tails, then you’re not making the most of your opportunities, so that’s really what that’s about. I think there’s a sense of energy that there is some newness, you can feel it. I really appreciate that the guys are in that mentality. There’s some opportunities for positions and openings and stuff that are available, and you can feel them, they know. They know what we’re looking for, we spent a lot of time talking about what’s important to us as a staff as we’re trying to put our team together—the mentality the need to bring, the energy they need to bring and the consistency they need to bring. These guys matched the criteria there and gave themselves a good shot. It’s going to be a very, very competitive camp with a lot of really exciting spots to watch. So it’ll be fun to see how it goes.”

(On what he’s seen from Shaquill Griffin in offseason workouts) “He has been really comfortably involved with everything. He just looks like he’s a veteran. He grew a ton out of last season. Remember, we didn’t have a lot of problems with him last year. There was not an inconsistency to him, there was not the rookie wall, there was none of that kind of stuff. He just kept cruising all the way through and had a really consistent first season, and he has just kind of picked up where he left off. It’s kind of like—on the other side of the ball—one of the things Russell (Wilson) has always impressed us with is how consistently he approaches everything. There’s never much fluctuation in his intensity and his focus; I see that in Shaq. He has had a great body of work that he put together in this offseason getting ready, so it’s a good sign. It means that last season didn’t affect him in any negative ways, didn’t distract him in any ways, and that’s important to see.”

(On Griffin moving to left cornerback) “It just depends on the guys. We started early, so we had to wait and see. Physically it was no problem, he had played back in forth in earlier years. His mentality about it was fine, he was wide open to it. That’s most of it. If a guy feels uncomfortable and he’s telling you he’s feeling uncomfortable, then he is. He never balked at it at all, and there’s no signs of any evidence at all that it’s going to be a problem.”

(On why Griffin is going to left corner) “Just wanted to do that, because we think Maxie (Byron Maxwell) has done a really nice job on the other side, and we thought if we’re going to balance it out and open it up, let’s open it up on the right side and see what happens.”

(On Tyler Lockett’s offseason) “It has really been a blessing for him to be able to get his legs back underneath him. Last year it was a struggle throughout the season—the offseason for certain—but through the season itself, he was not able to do things in the same manner he had done in years past. That’s really just workload, he just couldn’t do as much, he had to take care of his legs more. He’s back at it, he’s really playing fast, he has no resemblance of any after effects of the surgery. So that’s real positive. He looked great today in particular.”

(On if he’s expecting Earl Thomas to be here for minicamp) “Yeah, it’s mandatory, so we expect everybody to show up.”

(On if there is anyone who impressed him with how they looked coming back this offseason) “What has really jumped out is Chris Carson. Chris has looked incredible the whole time, the entire offseason. He hasn’t missed one snap of anything. He just looks so fit, he’s just so cut and quick and explosive and all that. He might be the guy, when you look at everybody, who jumps out in that regard. Doug (Baldwin) and Russell (Wilson) had really good work up to now. They have really been the best they’ve ever been, looked the tightest they’ve ever been. Schotty (Brian Schottenheimer) has helped them in some ways that shows that. There’s a bunch of guys—Duane Brown has looked phenomenal throughout the camp, he has just looked great; Jarran Reed has been at his best; Ethan Pocic came back 20 pounds heavier after a really great offseason of work that we really wanted him to do, and he just carried it off and did a beautiful job. I could keep going, there’s a lot of guys, but those guy are really the guys that are kind of at the top of it. And I’m going to get in trouble with Bobby and K.J. and all the rest of those guys, but those guys looked good.

(On the next six weeks after minicamp next week) “These six weeks coming up are like the six weeks of our lives. These guys have got to figure it out how to find a way to get in a great regimen. We’re really talking a bunch about the plan that they’re setting. It’s a long, long time to break from football to come back and start, and 12 days later you’re playing games. So I’m really concerned about that, and have been—last year was really the first time we really had six weeks. It’s a long break for these guys. After all this great work they had, they’re in terrific shape right now, almost everybody’s back out working, then to take six weeks off, that’s a long haul. I’m really hoping we can make a great impression on these guys. They’ll do a great job working their schedules out so they can together and stay fit and sharp and tough and all that, so that we can come back to camp and hit it.”

(On if Carson is back to full steam) “He’s absolutely full steam. He has just had a great offseason. He was really frustrated about not being able to finish us last year, and he put it to work. He did it. I’m excited to see how he goes. He’s going to play really good for us when we get back.”

(On Dion Jordan) “He had a surgery, kind of an after surgery to correct a little something. Everything went really well, and we’re hoping that by camp time he’ll be ready to rip and all that. A little knee thing. He’s has some complications over time, so it was worth it to go ahead and clean this thing up. It was a really small issue, but it’s one that was going to sit him down for six to eight weeks, so we just went ahead and did it.”

(On if George Fant will be ready for camp) “Yeah. George could probably get out now if we need him to, but it’s just not worth it to do that. He’s chomping at the bit. Now he has had two years of lifting and getting his strength training in order, he looks great. He has done everything, he has been here the whole time working with us, so we feel really good about the process of getting him ready. There’s just no reason to do it. I don’t know if you saw D.J. Fluker had missed some time, got out there today and should give us some more work next week. We had a chance to help him out too with something that came off of last season, so we rested him a lot during this time, and now he’s ready to go again.”

Lots of talk about Carson over the OTA, very quiet on Penny, what’s up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Breh

Reaction score
Lots of talk about Carson over the OTA, very quiet on Penny, what’s up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Screen of the smoke variety.
Or, likely, CC really is just gonna blow everybody's doors the hell right off.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Chris knows pass pro; if Chris is healthy, I look for him to start with Penny worked into the rotation while getting up to speed on playing the game at the professional level.