Passing game was better in two WR sets than three

hawknation2018

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/SharpFootball/status/976931271615172608[/tweet]

Interesting, given that Brian Schottenheimer is likely to utilize more 2WR sets than Bevell did. Bevell used 11 personnel (3WR) 65% of the time in 2017 vs. 59% for the rest of the NFL.

Russell Wilson's passer rating was 116.1 out of 12 personnel (2WR sets with one running back and two tight ends). But these sets were underutilized (18%).

The Seahawks ran 22 personnel only 1% of the time last season (four times less frequently than the rest of the NFL). These are the sets that include two TEs and a fullback or extra lineman. Our success rate out of these sets was a perfect 7/7 with a 131.3 QB rating. Kind of ridiculous that they ran only seven plays out of this personnel grouping all season long.

We can safely expect Schottenheimer to utilize more 12 and 22 personnel than Bevell did. That means more physicality at the line of scrimmage. Schottenheimer is also expected to be much more diverse in his personnel usage, constantly challenging the defense with different looks, lots of shifting, etc.

DY7BZQsXkAE61ap

ivotuk

Reaction score
Nice find. I'm guessing, but 22 personnel has 1 wide receiver, correct?

Also, (please people, don't derail this thread with Bevell or Cable bashing), I'd bet that Pete used similar stats, or information to finalize his decision to make major changes.

For me, I felt like we ran a lot less, but the number of runs didn't look that much different than before. So what these numbers tell me is, it's not so much number of runs, but type of run formations that screwed the pooch. And now, IMHO, it's plainly obvious what part of the run game was not promoting the run itself.

Thanks for that.

OP
OP
hawknation2018

hawknation2018

Reaction score
ivotuk":33j9wg30 said:
Nice find. I'm guessing, but 22 personnel has 1 wide receiver, correct?

Also, (please people, don't derail this thread with Bevell or Cable bashing), I'd bet that Pete used similar stats, or information to finalize his decision to make major changes.

For me, I felt like we ran a lot less, but the number of runs didn't look that much different than before. So what these numbers tell me is, it's not so much number of runs, but type of run formations that screwed the pooch. And now, IMHO, it's plainly obvious what part of the run game was not promoting the run itself.

Thanks for that.

Correct, right on. 2-2 personnel means two backs, two TEs, one WR (+ 5 OL + QB = 11).

They ran the ball 76% of the time out of 13 personnel (this is the heavy set with one back and 3 TEs) but only 39% of the time out of 11 personnel. Part of that is due to down and distance when certain personnel are deployed. Still, there is a predictability and finesse to the way the offense was previously deployed. I expect to see 11 personnel usage drop to around 50%, as the diversity of the offense increases and physicality improves with more FB and 2TE sets.

If you look back at 2012 & 2013, the Seahawks were using 11 personnel 40%, 22 personnel 18%, 12 personnel 16%, 21 personnel 13%. It was a much more diverse, physical, blocking-focused offense.

Own The West

Reaction score
So excited for 22 personnel this year!

Remember 2013, 2014 when teams always lost the week after they played us? I want to get back to that kind of physical.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
2 receiver sets....Would that be "Max pro" packages?

OP
OP
hawknation2018

hawknation2018

Reaction score
brimsalabim":57mz0t7a said:
2 receiver sets....Would that be "Max pro" packages?
2WR sets
12 personnel (1 back, 2 TEs)
21 personnel (2 backs, 1 TE)
30 personnel (3 backs, 0 TEs) - this is like the "wishbone" formation, among others.
0-3 personnel (0 backs, 3 TEs) - pretty rare, but apparently the Seahawks ran one play with this personnel last season. Kansas City ran this formation an NFL-high five times last season.