Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Earl Thomas to hold out until contract resolved

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13

• You have to trim the link code, much like a youtube vid.
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• Really, really hate to see this. Kam 2.0. :34853_doh:
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• It'll be interesting to see what happens. Honesty I don't see the Hawks giving in.
    I hate Tim Ruskell.
    Trrrroy
    NET Veteran

• sutz wrote:

You have to trim the link code, much like a youtube vid.

Thank you!
    Seahawks4life
    NET Rookie

• We were all worried about this for good reason but it's still very disappointing. Kam's holdout really hurt our 2015 season and I'm pessimistic that Earl's holdout will end up a similar way.
    AgentDib
    NET Veteran

• or... they could just renegotiate his contract quickly and move forward.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

• The difference between earl and kam is that kam had more than 1 year left. Hawks have been willing to renegotiate with 1 year left... so they wouldn't be breaking precedent to extend him.

"We all we got, we all we need"
    lukerguy
    NET Veteran

• lukerguy wrote:The difference between earl and kam is that kam had more than 1 year left. Hawks have been willing to renegotiate with 1 year left... so they wouldn't be breaking precedent to extend him.

exactly... Thomas is taking a great risk entering into the year. This is a big difference than Kam

I can see Seattle renegotiating, or trading. But it will be resolved soon enough
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

• Give him a one year extension with performance bonuses.
    2018 Adopt a Rookie: Rashaad Penny

Sox-n-Hawks
    NET Veteran

• AgentDib wrote:We were all worried about this for good reason but it's still very disappointing. Kam's holdout really hurt our 2015 season and I'm pessimistic that Earl's holdout will end up a similar way.

Wasn’t it Earl who said in a post game interview after going 0-2 something to the effect of “he needs to be out here with us”. Basically calling Kam selfish for holding out without saying it? Now he is going to do the same thing...
    Touchdooooooown SEAHAWKS!!!!
    Seahaaaawks
    NET Veteran

• Just pay him
    Steve2222
    NET Veteran

• Seahaaaawks wrote:
    AgentDib wrote:We were all worried about this for good reason but it's still very disappointing. Kam's holdout really hurt our 2015 season and I'm pessimistic that Earl's holdout will end up a similar way.

Wasn’t it Earl who said in a post game interview after going 0-2 something to the effect of “he needs to be out here with us”. Basically calling Kam selfish for holding out without saying it? Now he is going to do the same thing...

its not the same thing though...

that extra year makes a significant difference.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

• Sox-n-Hawks wrote:Give him a one year extension with performance bonuses.

surely a future Hall of Famer who thinks he's still in his prime and now sees he is the leader of this team's defense will jump all over that
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

• Paul Allen forbade a new contract with Kam's holdout. It's not going to happen in this manner.
    Decimation
    NET Veteran

• I loved earl, but screw him. Let Sherman be his agent I liked his deal in SF. I say wait it out and franchise him next year.
    GO HAWKS
    425HawkSpark
    NET Veteran

• Uncle Si wrote:
    Sox-n-Hawks wrote:Give him a one year extension with performance bonuses.

surely a future Hall of Famer who thinks he's still in his prime and now sees he is the leader of this team's defense will jump all over that

Yeah, no way he's going to take that.
    If Seattle wants t keep him, this could be quickly resolved, but I am not sure they do, especially for what he demands. :?
    "It's payback, Russell Wilson falling way back, in the draft, turn nothing into something"
    rossob
    NET Rookie

• 425HawkSpark wrote:I loved earl, but screw him. Let Sherman be his agent I liked his deal in SF. I say wait it out and franchise him next year.

Thats a waste of time and money

Earl is nearing 30 and has one year left on his deal. He wants a bit more security. It's not a reflection of anything but that.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

• Seattle will not receive a first round pick for Earl. Let's get that out of the way, first and foremost.

No team not even Earl's beloved Cowboys will pay that king's ransom. Probably won't even offer a second round. I wouldn't.

The Cowboys know Earl wants to play for Dallas, hence, leverage.

Other teams know Earl wants to play for Dallas, so why should they offer anything? Much less a first rounder. The Seahawks saw how this already played out preceding/during the draft. Nothing happened.

If/when Earl becomes a free agent, teams know he does not want to entertain them for his services unless they are the Dallas Cowboys. No one wins with Thomas making these claims, other than possibly/maybe the Cowboys, cause inevitably, Dallas
    may "get" Thomas for cheap.

This is a lose/lose situation for Seattle and Earl.

I personally still like Earl, but, Earl saw what happened to Kam and Sherm and wants to lock something in now before it's too late and he possibly gets a big injury ending his season right before his current contract is set to expire and his now getting way older.

I get why Thomas is doing this and harbor him no ill will.

If this is the prelude to the end of Earl in a Seattle uniform, it has been an absolute pleasure to have watched him play and win the one and only SuperBowl for Seattle. I absolutely thank him and will watch his Hall of Fame induction.

Thank you, Earl Thomas!

I wish the best for you and your family!

Just my two cents though.
    "Awww, you so weak!" Richard Sherman to Joe Webb

"Uh, huh, you suck!" Richard Sherman to Pierre Garçon

"Don't f***** try me--I'm the best!" Richard Sherman

Seattle Seahawks Super Bowl XLVIII Champions
    TheLegendOfBoom
    NET Veteran

• Let him sit out, do not cave. The time to trade already passed.
    Coug_Hawk08
    NET Veteran

• TheLegendOfBoom wrote:

I personally still like Earl, but, Earl saw what happened to Kam and Sherm and wants to lock something in now before it's too late and he possibly gets a big injury ending his season right before his current contract is set to expire and his now getting way older.

Why is this a "lose/lose?"

are you saying there is no contract that can be negotiated that suits both parties?

hard to believe it doesnt exist, Seattle wouldn't offer it and Earl wouldnt sign it.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

• No worries. We have Tedric Thompson and Delano Hill on the roster :lol:
    King Dog
    NET Veteran

• We're not about to pay Earl what he is probably thinking he's worth. He's on a contract and needs to honor it, otherwise, kick rocks. Earl has seen how the guys that didnt believe in the system have been shipped out and that is the only reason he is saying that he still wants to be a Seahawk, it's obvious that he wants one last payday and believes he still has value in Seattle. His heart isnt with this team, hes proven that with his comments. His boys are gone and hes just trying to get paid.
    SpokaneHawks
    NET Starter

• This is so not surprising. And he only is saying he wants to be a seahawk because that is the professional thing to do. I doubt he wants to actually be a Seahawk
    NJlargent
    NET Veteran

• Uncle Si wrote:
    TheLegendOfBoom wrote:

are you saying there is no contract that can be negotiated that suits both parties?

hard to believe it doesnt exist, Seattle wouldn't offer it and Earl wouldnt sign it.

We'll see.

But I imagine Earl does not want his possible last deal to be a "team friendly" discount.

Why would he choose to sign something for less than he's worth?

Earl is a HOF and he still plays like an All-Pro (or least Pro-Bowl) level and should be top 3 highest paid Safeties in the league. Yes, Earl is that good!

Earl doesn't play, Seattle may possibly be 6-10 this year.
    "Awww, you so weak!" Richard Sherman to Joe Webb

"Uh, huh, you suck!" Richard Sherman to Pierre Garçon

"Don't f***** try me--I'm the best!" Richard Sherman

Seattle Seahawks Super Bowl XLVIII Champions
    TheLegendOfBoom
    NET Veteran

• Please trade the final distraction on this team. No way can he be signed long term. We would have buyers remorse at max 2 yes. Then just get stuck with a giant contract and diminishing skills with more risk of injury. Time to unload him for what we can get which isn't much....
    Super Bowl XLVIII Champions 2014.02.02 Seahawks 43 Broncos 8
    Cyrus12
    NET Veteran

• TheLegendOfBoom wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:
    TheLegendOfBoom wrote:

We'll see.

But I imagine Earl does not want his possible last deal to be a "team friendly" discount.

Why would he choose to sign something for less than he's worth?

Earl is a HOF and he still plays like an All-Pro (or least Pro-Bowl) level and should be top 3 highest paid Safeties in the league. Yes, Earl is that good!

Earl doesn't play, Seattle may possibly be 6-10 this year.

But that's the reality of any contract.

If he is what he is, All Pro but aging, there is certainly a contract that suits both
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

• Just pay the guy already, he has certainly earn it. Lets go in the season fresh without distractions for once.
    rcaido
    NET Starter

• rcaido wrote:Just pay the guy already, he has certainly earn it. Lets go in the season fresh without distractions for once.

So Lets say he is demanding top safety money (resetting market), at five years and 70% guaranteed, we should just do that to avoid this hold out? Nah.

Earl is desperate, and getting bad advice. Let’s see if he is really willing to miss actual games, and game checks, not just mini camp. Even if he is, yes it hurts the team, but it hurts him even more. Best thing for him is to not talk (because he says dumb things) and continue to be great on the field.
    Coug_Hawk08
    NET Veteran

• Hawks have all the leverage here since we already know that we aren’t getting anything for him in trade. Let him hold out as long as he wants. He either plays a season for us, or he never plays another down in the NFL (unless the new/2021 CBA changes the rules for accrued seasons).

This announcement confirms that the Hawks have already had discussions with Thomas, and have made whatever offer (possibly nothing) they are going to make. They should stick to their guns.

The loss of Earl won’t be as problematic with a full offseason to plan and practice for life without him as it would be if we lost him mid season.

And this is coming from someone who’s favorite Hawk has been Thomas ever since he came into the league.
    Fire Tom Cable

Still can't believe we let Alex Collins go
    bigskydoc
    NET Veteran

• If he misses time, he gets nothing. True hold outs are rare in the NFL because the player just ends up shooting himself in the foot while screwing over his team. Earl is making millions of dollars and will make millions more after this contract if he wants it. I have zero compassion for his “situation.” Do your job.
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

• The Seahawks need Earl more than Earl needs them. Especially now that they are without Kam. They are very young at corners with Griffin and Flowers. Having a future HOF like Thomas would help. He hasn’t shown a decline in play even after a coming back after a tough injury. He has earned the right to top money. Earl is about as irreplaceable as Russell Wilson is.
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran

• The Seahawks needed to reload or rebuild. Injuries forced them to rebuild but the Seahawks FO is too stubborn to do so. Earl was the last piece to deal to go into full rebuild mode. Now, they are dealing with yet another distraction that could have been avoided.

In order to not be a distraction, the Seahawks should cut off all communications with him and his agent now. The Seahawks need to call around to every team in the NFL. Contact every team and take the best deal available. I don't care if it is a 7th round pick.

I have always loved Earl as a player but the Dallas moment was embarrassing and a precursor to this foreseen development.
    Bevell's Bubble Busted
    bevellisthedevil
    NET Veteran

• Coug_Hawk08 wrote:
    rcaido wrote:Just pay the guy already, he has certainly earn it. Lets go in the season fresh without distractions for once.

So Lets say he is demanding top safety money (resetting market), at five years and 70% guaranteed, we should just do that to avoid this hold out? Nah.

Earl is desperate, and getting bad advice. Let’s see if he is really willing to miss actual games, and game checks, not just mini camp. Even if he is, yes it hurts the team, but it hurts him even more. Best thing for him is to not talk (because he says dumb things) and continue to be great on the field.

But he is not capable of not talk or so the “come get me” kind of things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    ++ You can call me a homer, but I am not the only one ++
    toffee
    NET Veteran

• hawknation2018 wrote:If he misses time, he gets nothing. True hold outs are rare in the NFL because the player just ends up shooting himself in the foot while screwing over his team. Earl is making millions of dollars and will make millions more after this contract if he wants it. I have zero compassion for his “situation.” Do your job.
    this!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

++ You can call me a homer, but I am not the only one ++
    toffee
    NET Veteran

• The Seahawks should not be held hostage, both for now and future players. Let him sit no-play no-pay. Move on. Let him miss out on 8 million dollars. I am done with him. Thanks Earl to bad you lost it at the end.
    Go Hawks!
    j hawk
    NET Rookie

• Uncle Si wrote:Why is this a "lose/lose?" are you saying there is no contract that can be negotiated that suits both parties? hard to believe it doesnt exist, Seattle wouldn't offer it and Earl wouldnt sign it.

I like your optimism here. However, it's very believable that the guaranteed dollars Earl is asking for is a much higher sum than what the Hawks are comfortable paying. Players hold out when there is a significant difference in opinion, not when they are very close to a deal.
    AgentDib
    NET Veteran

• Wonder if we are going to bring in Eric Reid for a look now.
    Hawkfish
    NET Veteran

• I hate being right sometimes. Bargaining power just went to the basement with other teams now. Looks like McDougald, who is listed as a FS, is actually playing FS this year. Competition for SS is where it's at. My guess is it's Alexander.

Should have gotten what you could have gotten for him before, damn it. Sooooo stupid.
    vin.couve12
    .NET Poster of the Month

• There's no way of knowing what the Hawks were offered earlier. The first rounder+ was obviously fake news, and that should call into question why other twitter rumors are being accepted as fact. If Dallas was offering a third round pick then that's what we'll probably end up with for Earl anyway via the compensatory system. If they even offered that; there's not much need for Dallas to trade anything valuable for a player who they can just sign as a free agent next off-season.
    AgentDib
    NET Veteran

• AgentDib wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:Why is this a "lose/lose?" are you saying there is no contract that can be negotiated that suits both parties? hard to believe it doesnt exist, Seattle wouldn't offer it and Earl wouldnt sign it.

I like your optimism here. However, it's very believable that the guaranteed dollars Earl is asking for is a much higher sum than what the Hawks are comfortable paying. Players hold out when there is a significant difference in opinion, not when they are very close to a deal.

Maybe optimistic, but trying to be more level with my thoughts on it, as many are just driving the negative.

Him begging for unreasonable terms leaves him entering his final year of his contract without an extended deal.

We have no idea if he's been offered any terms. I can't see him holding out playing, at 29.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

• vin.couve12 wrote:I hate being right sometimes. Bargaining power just went to the basement with other teams now. Looks like McDougald, who is listed as a FS, is actually playing FS this year. Competition for SS is where it's at. My guess is it's Alexander.

Should have gotten what you could have gotten for him before, damn it. Sooooo stupid.

Pretty sure most people on here saw a holdout of some kind coming. It's the logical step for most players in his position
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

• SpokaneHawks wrote:We're not about to pay Earl what he is probably thinking he's worth. He's on a contract and needs to honor it, otherwise, kick rocks. Earl has seen how the guys that didnt believe in the system have been shipped out and that is the only reason he is saying that he still wants to be a Seahawk, it's obvious that he wants one last payday and believes he still has value in Seattle. His heart isnt with this team, hes proven that with his comments. His boys are gone and hes just trying to get paid.

I agree....... He wants a new contract, or he will hold out, and NOT honor his CURRENT contract?
    He says he wants to be a Seahawk for the long term, because he wants the 12s to plead his case, well, if that's true, why did he go to Garrett and plead for him to "Come Get Me"?
    Too much untruthin' going on here.
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran

• Uncle Si wrote:
    vin.couve12 wrote:I hate being right sometimes. Bargaining power just went to the basement with other teams now. Looks like McDougald, who is listed as a FS, is actually playing FS this year. Competition for SS is where it's at. My guess is it's Alexander.

Pretty sure most people on here saw a holdout of some kind coming. It's the logical step for most players in his position

Not really. It was questionable until he told Pete that he would not hold out the week before the draft. He flat out lied to him and everyone else. Some took a sigh of relief at that point, others didn't take him at his word. You either believed him or you didn't.
    vin.couve12
    .NET Poster of the Month

• Hell, it's even possible that we might have drafted different at that point.
    vin.couve12
    .NET Poster of the Month

• OK, to clarify, Earl's representatives told JS that he wouldn't hold out. That's when Pete got fired up on camera saying, "Heck yeah, I don't know what everyone's talking about. He's on our roster and we're counting on him," etc, etc, etc.

Then Pete pretty much said the same after he wasn't traded after the draft.

Should have traded him, fools.
    vin.couve12
    .NET Poster of the Month

• vin.couve12 wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:
    vin.couve12 wrote:I hate being right sometimes. Bargaining power just went to the basement with other teams now. Looks like McDougald, who is listed as a FS, is actually playing FS this year. Competition for SS is where it's at. My guess is it's Alexander.

Not really. It was questionable until he told Pete that he would not hold out the week before the draft. He flat out lied to him and everyone else. Some took a sigh of relief at that point, others didn't take him at his word. You either believed him or you didn't.

I think its easier to believe the situation..

a football player with one year on his contract is likely to use what ever leverage there is to extend that contract.

most assumed this. and he it is.

you nailed it. I thought they shouldve traded him on draft day. I'm assuming they didnt get a good offer.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

• Hopefully Seahawks don't make the same mistake they did with Kam and overpay. Earl's production has fallen off a cliff yet I guarantee he want's top 3 young Safety money basically rewarding him for how good he was 3 years ago. Obviously no other team wanted to pay him that much either and make a trade. I'd let his ass sit and either play out his contract or retire. Pete and this front office's caused this mess. Now they can lie in it.
    RCATES
    NET Starter

• And there it is. Selfish money-grabber. He knew what he signed when he signed his contract a few years ago. If he didn't like it, he should not have signed it. It's not just an extension he's looking for, he has made it clear he wants to be the highest paid safety in the league, but the team cannot allow themselves to be forced to handcuff themselves to him in that way.
    Jazzhawk
    * NET News Scoop *

• Uncle Si wrote:
    vin.couve12 wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:

I think its easier to believe the situation..

a football player with one year on his contract is likely to use what ever leverage there is to extend that contract.

most assumed this. and he it is.

you nailed it.

That's not really the point. We should have gotten the most we could for him, maybe drafted one of two safeties in the draft or signed one of three vets, and have roster clarity right now heading into camp. This was handled poorly.

T.J. Mutcherson
    38 FS 5-10 197 25 R UCF

Alex Carter
    1 FS 6-0 201 23 1 Stanford

Bradley McDougald
    30 FS 6-1 215 27 6 Kansas

Tedric Thompson
    33 FS 6-0 204 23 2 Colorado

On the other hand, 3 of the 4 of these guys have to be licking their chops.

So let's say that the Hawks are waking up to the fact that they need to plan for getting the most out of this deal. What sort of compensation do the Hawks get if they let him walk in FA next year? Is that a 3rd? What is that dependent on? Conversely, if a trade is back on the table, do they not have to beat the price of that 3rd rounder or whatever would be in the cards for a comp pick?

That's the way I'm looking at it now. A trade would have to meet or exceed the comp pick next year. If he can't be traded for that price, then let him rot and move on as if he isn't there. Don't address it one bit otherwise.
    vin.couve12
    .NET Poster of the Month

Next

It is currently Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:25 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information