Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Earl Thomas to hold out until contract resolved

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
  • toffee wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    SoulfishHawk wrote:Agree to disagree

Then why isn't anyone trading for Earl. If he's the HOF safety in his prime that you think he is, shouldn't teams be breaking down our FO's door to trade for him?

For the following reasons:

1. No GM or HC are willingly take a risk that one day Earl will make them look like they have lost the locker room. Pete looked very silly when Earl pull that “come get me”. A Job security risk most HC aren’t willing to take.

2. Earl’s market value is not in sync with his expectation.

3. He may or may not be willing to sign that long term contract if you aren’t the Cowboys.

4. He is at the age that his speed starts to decline, and injury risks are higher.

5. Why trade for him if he could be a free agent in one year or even sooner if Pete got fed up with him.

All in all, earl damaged his own brand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This^
    Super Bowl XLVIII Champions 2014.02.02 Seahawks 43 Broncos 8
    Cyrus12
    NET Veteran

• This issue is going to be very interesting as it works out. This could get us a very motivated ET or a very disruptive ET. We will see.
    Hawk1217
    NET Rookie

• Unless our HOF Earl’s totally void of manner or decency; otherwise he knew the “come get me” to a rival team will make Pete looked like an idiot that lost the locker room, offend some of his teammates, piss off diehard 12s.

He did it without apology or remorse!! !!

Along the same thought process and behavior pattern, one can only imagine what he did and will do behind closed locker room doors?

Football is a team sport, still think we can afford to have him? Most HCs and GMs in the league apparently said pass. We will suffer short term without Earl, but I have faith in Pete.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    ++ You can call me a homer, but I am not the only one ++
    toffee
    NET Veteran

• One thing I know-the Pete era Hawks are gonna have a hell of a 30 for 30 (in some form) one day when everybody's chapters are written.
    The Breh
    NET Rookie

• toffee wrote:Unless our HOF Earl’s totally void of manner or decency; otherwise he knew the “come get me” to a rival team will make Pete looked like an idiot that lost the locker room, offend some of his teammates, piss off diehard 12s.

Along the same thought process and behavior pattern, one can only imagine what he did and will do behind closed locker room doors?

Football is a team sport, still think we can afford to have him? Most HCs and GMs in the league apparently said pass. We will suffer short term without Earl, but I have faith in Pete.

Added to this was his/or his agent's advice he would NOT holdout. however, we are watching him do exactly that. The i'm not going to holdout advice was given to the team before the draft. Was this a move to screw the team?

So not only is ET void of manners and remorse, he's a person who's word means nothing. In reality it would appear he's getting poor advice, or he's rather stupid, in all he has done a bang-up most excellent job of destroying his value and his value to the team.
    Until we develop a pass rush that will cause opposing teams to be forced to scheme to defend it we will never be able to consistently take the final step. The interior rush needs improvement. The OLine clearly still needs work.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions at last after 38 seasons. Awesome!!!
    jammerhawk
    NET Veteran

• toffee wrote:Unless our HOF Earl’s totally void of manner or decency; otherwise he knew the “come get me” to a rival team will make Pete looked like an idiot that lost the locker room, offend some of his teammates, piss off diehard 12s.

Actually, he did apologize, said he wanted to go remain a Seahawk for life, and said this was only a contingency in case the Seahawks decided they didn’t want him long term.
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

• hawknation2018 wrote:
    toffee wrote:Unless our HOF Earl’s totally void of manner or decency; otherwise he knew the “come get me” to a rival team will make Pete looked like an idiot that lost the locker room, offend some of his teammates, piss off diehard 12s.

Actually, he did apologize, said he wanted to go remain a Seahawk for life, and said this was only a contingency in case the Seahawks decided they didn’t want him long term.

I apologize when I fart, but is more because it is what is expected (and to claim it) than because I am actually sorry.

ET's apology and claims that he wants to be a Seahawk gives me the same type of vibe.
    I used to be Bitter.
    JustTheTip
    NET Veteran

• JustTheTip wrote:
    hawknation2018 wrote:
    toffee wrote:Unless our HOF Earl’s totally void of manner or decency; otherwise he knew the “come get me” to a rival team will make Pete looked like an idiot that lost the locker room, offend some of his teammates, piss off diehard 12s.

I apologize when I fart, but is more because it is what is expected (and to claim it) than because I am actually sorry.

ET's apology and claims that he wants to be a Seahawk gives me the same type of vibe.

I agree..
    His time in Seattle is done,it's only a matter of when and where he goes.
    I don't want a player who is not all in and he screams of just that by all his
    actions.
    Will Dissly
    2018 Adopt a rookie
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

• Leaving this here for people to cry to later. "Don't leave me, Earl." Haha!

vin.couve12
    .NET Poster of the Month

• vin.couve12 wrote:https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bloggingtheboys.com/platform/amp/2018/7/3/17530470/earl-thomas-liked-an-instagram-post-urging-him-to-go-to-dallas-noting-the-legion-of-boom-was-done

Hopefully soon.

Could have been liking the video of himself without having read the caption. I wouldn't read too much into a "like."
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

• Seems like the last year has shown he doesn't have the closest relationship with the 2 defensive captains who call the plays and make adjustments. I'll be looking forward to seeing him play when he isn't riding the cotails of Kam telling him what to do (he admitted it) anf Wagner setting everything up. Even when he was a rookie he had Milloy to get him straight and last year Kam spent extra time with McDougald as a leader at SS where McDougald noted how much that meant while the coaches were trying to get Earl to be a vocal leader.

Earl's gonna have a drop off and we'll be lucky to get a 3rd for him.

https://www.givemesport.com/1346045-ear ... chancellor
    vin.couve12
    .NET Poster of the Month

• vin.couve12 wrote:Seems like the last year has shown he doesn't have the closest relationship with the 2 defensive captains who call the plays and make adjustments. I'll be looking forward to seeing him play when he isn't riding the cotails of Kam telling him what to do (he admitted it) anf Wagner setting everything up. Even when he was a rookie he had Milloy to get him straight and last year Kam spent extra time with McDougald as a leader at SS where McDougald noted how much that meant while the coaches were trying to get Earl to be a vocal leader.

Classless just like Dallas. Earl (all about me) Thomas isn't the sharpest tool in the shed and this is no surprise to me.
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

• hawknation2018 wrote:

He apologized because got caught being indiscrete, he didn't realize that he was being filmed running up to Garrett and selling out on his 12's fans, Pete Carroll, John Schneider, & the Seahawks franchise.
    Other fans, Coaches & GM's took notice too.
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran

• What will matter is if he cannot play.

What does not matter is if people get their feelings hurt in the meantime. The world does not care about your feelings, I doubt that Earl should have to.

Is Earl a better option than the alternative? Unless you want another giant hole in the secondary on a team that already has giant holes in it - probably not.

Unless we can suddenly turn into the West Coast version of the Steelers and win games by scoring 30+ points per game, trading him just makes us weaker. We have him until we don't have him but trading him is going to make us endure that issue that much sooner.

Trading away superstars very rarely works out well for the team doing it.

There is not much upside here. Only delaying the downside but that is better than rushing it. Until we have a capable replacement for Earl available, we need him.
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran

• vin.couve12 wrote:Seems like the last year has shown he doesn't have the closest relationship with the 2 defensive captains who call the plays and make adjustments. I'll be looking forward to seeing him play when he isn't riding the cotails of Kam telling him what to do (he admitted it) anf Wagner setting everything up. Even when he was a rookie he had Milloy to get him straight and last year Kam spent extra time with McDougald as a leader at SS where McDougald noted how much that meant while the coaches were trying to get Earl to be a vocal leader.

Thanks for the insight on the dynamic of on field defense captains and Earl. Also how Kam still trying to help the team even when he was hurting. If Earl hasn't developed the ability to set things up yet, ie observed what the offense's doing, making necessary calculation, formulate a counter plan, vocalize the plan to teammates, all in split seconds, Earl won't have the ability, period.

toffee
    NET Veteran

• TwistedHusky wrote:What will matter is if he cannot play.

What does not matter is if people get their feelings hurt in the meantime. The world does not care about your feelings, I doubt that Earl should have to.

Is Earl a better option than the alternative? Unless you want another giant hole in the secondary on a team that already has giant holes in it - probably not.

Unless we can suddenly turn into the West Coast version of the Steelers and win games by scoring 30+ points per game, trading him just makes us weaker. We have him until we don't have him but trading him is going to make us endure that issue that much sooner.

There is not much upside here. Only delaying the downside but that is better than rushing it. Until we have a capable replacement for Earl available, we need him.

Yeah....You bullshit your friends, & I'll bullshit mine, but FACTS will still remain....You're are obviously an ET Fan, great, but, he's not worth more than the other 52 players on the team, PERIOD!
    Fans don't like being pissed on, and told that it's only rain...His actions are speaking louder than words, his coaxing to Garrett spoke volumes.
    He's holding out and forcing PC & JS to concede :141847_bnono:
    IF they give in, the team as a whole will be in turmoil for several years to come....Chancellor's contract is proof of that.
    ONE PLAYER, no matter how great he might be, is more important than the other 52 players on the team.
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran

• Earl is gone. That defense quit from the 2013 squad. Now it’s time to see if the coaching staff can rebuild the defense.
    NJlargent
    NET Veteran

• NJlargent wrote:Earl is gone. That defense quit from the 2013 squad. Now it’s time to see if the coaching staff can rebuild the defense.

Nah, our HOF Earl repeatedly said he's a Hawk for life, those 'come get me' or rush home after Hawks game to watch Cowgirl games were just really minor details. It's like a wife telling the husband he's the love of her life, those affairs were just, ya know, affairs, does not change her love for him. Hubby must overlook those affairs or sit in to watch as cheerleader.

It's not like there are suitors for our Earl out there, where's he gonna go? 31 stupid GMs and HCs, can't they understand the value of getting a HOF free safety in his prime?

toffee
    NET Veteran

In 180 games, Walter Jones was called for 9 holding penalties in the course of 5,703 pass plays.
    First Round Inductee To Hall Of Fame 2014
    ESPN #1 Rated Seahawks Player of All Time
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

• TwistedHusky wrote:What will matter is if he cannot play.

BINGO! Great post!
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Vindictively trade him to the Browns or argonauts. Bellicheck would have him sleeping with the fishes already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    NOLAHawk
    NET Rookie

• toffee wrote:
    NJlargent wrote:Earl is gone. That defense quit from the 2013 squad. Now it’s time to see if the coaching staff can rebuild the defense.

Nah, our HOF Earl repeatedly said he's a Hawk for life, those 'come get me' or rush home after Hawks game to watch Cowgirl games were just really minor details. It's like a wife telling the husband he's the love of her life, those affairs were just, ya know, affairs, does not change her love for him. Hubby must overlook those affairs or sit in to watch as cheerleader.

GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

• 1) Earl is a good person who did a dumb thing.

2) He never gave any of us a single reason to complain about him on the field. He played at an elite level and his skillset allowed a very good defense to become an historically dominant one.

3) If any of the Seahawks diehards that post on this board were somehow to be drafted into the NFL by a team not the Seahawks, any of us may secretly pine to eventually join the team we love. I do not fault Earl for wanting to fulfill his boyhood dream of becoming a Cowboy. Unfortunately his unvarnished, forthright personality meant he was way too open about it.

4) Earl was disloyal to the fans, teammates, coaching staff, and ownership. There is no salvaging this. He cannot remain a Seahawk just as Benedict Arnold could not remain an American. His colors have been shown and his heart is elsewhere.

5) Earl continues to use his Instagram account to disrespect the Seahawks by showing his preference for the Cowboys:

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/platfor ... -instagram

If the team acquiesces to Thomas now they will set a bad precedent and other players may employ these tactics in the future. Since we are likely to get marginal compensation for him I really hope Pete and John send a message that this behavior won't be rewarded by suspending Thomas for the year. Let him walk in 2019 but maintain the integrity of your brand and the loyalty expected of employees.
    "It was so loud Derrick Coleman heard it."
    Thunderhawk
    NET Veteran

• So, when did Earl Thomas all the sudden become Satan?
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

• SoulfishHawk wrote:So, when did Earl Thomas all the sudden become Satan?

This is how myopic insulated Hawk fans think.............they think any little slight by outside forces, media or players (even if they're our players) is a direct attack on their beloved Seahawks.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• It was a joke, but fair enough. I see both sides, but you would think he was Dez Bryant or something. If he ends up with the Cowboys, so be it. If he stays, great.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

• MontanaHawk05 wrote:
    toffee wrote:
    NJlargent wrote:Earl is gone. That defense quit from the 2013 squad. Now it’s time to see if the coaching staff can rebuild the defense.

I read that Cuckoldry could be taught and developed, some enjoy it as a fetish.

toffee
    NET Veteran

• SoulfishHawk wrote:It was a joke, but fair enough. I see both sides, but you would think he was Dez Bryant or something. If he ends up with the Cowboys, so be it. If he stays, great.

I don't think it was a joke.

Earl's frustrated right now, so this is his way of mildly needling the situation and stirring the pot by letting everyone know he still loves his Cowboys and isn't happy with the Hawks not giving him his extension.

Who cares is what I say. I totally get where he's coming from, but that's the beauty of Earl...............I have ZERO doubt that if he's a Hawk and on the field he's going to give us 100% all out effort, cause that's the only way he's ever played.

But like I said, to myopic Hawk fans, they see these things as a slight.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• Actually it was, but ok. I want him to stay. In no way is this a better team without him. And he only knows how to play one way, full on.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

• SoulfishHawk wrote:Actually it was, but ok. I want him to stay. In no way is this a better team without him.

How is Earl saying "american's team" a joke?

And I agree, I'd love Earl to stay.............but only if he's cool with a short incentive packed 1-2 year extension at around what he's making now.

No way in hell I'm OK with the Eric Berry monster 5-6 year with 40M guaranteed extension he wants.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• ? I'm saying that what I SAID was a joke.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

• SoulfishHawk wrote:? I'm saying that what I SAID was a joke.

Who's on first?
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• Thunderhawk wrote:5) Earl continues to use his Instagram account to disrespect the Seahawks by showing his preference for the Cowboys:

Ah.. Well, now I think Seahawks fans have reason to start getting annoyed at Earl. The "come get me" was one thing that could be written off to emotion. Now it's a pattern.
    GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

• What's on 2nd? Shoot, if he does get traded, send him to a crap team in the AFC :lol:
    And, as much as I love Earl, if he truly doesn't want to be here, see ya. I don't want players here who don't want to be a part of this team. IF that's the case.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

• MontanaHawk05 wrote:
    Thunderhawk wrote:5) Earl continues to use his Instagram account to disrespect the Seahawks by showing his preference for the Cowboys:

Ah.. Well, now I think Seahawks fans have reason to start getting annoyed at Earl. The "come get me" was one thing that could be written off to emotion. Now it's a pattern.

Wait a minute.

If there was another great player who's not happy with his current team and loves the Hawks because he grew up here loving our team? We'd be like "OMG isn't it great he wants to play here, let's go get him John and Pete!!"

But because Earl wants to go home and play for his beloved Cowboys, all of a sudden he's annoying and disrespectful?

He'll be disrespectful to me when he refuses to get on the team bus because we traded a player, or is a locker room cancer that other players resent.

THAT'S disrespectful, because it affects team culture and wins and losses. Just Tweeting out innocuous replies to someone asking him about the Cowboys? That's not even a 1 on a scale of 1-10 annoying or disrespectful.

When Earl plays, he balls out. That's all I care about.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• Nothing should surprise any of us when it comes to NFL players. It's a different time. Until he's gone, he's a Hawk in my book. And if the Cowboys want him, they can pay. No bargain basement crap for one of the best players in football.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

• Just saw that. This is the second time in two weeks he's pimped the Cowboys via Instagram.

Yes, it is indeed a pattern.
    vin.couve12
    .NET Poster of the Month

• I have to laugh at all the fans who were cheering when we let Bennett and Sherm go and they were touting that Pete rid the team of all the problem players. Pretty obvious he didnt get rid of all of them. This headache rides on the FO. After the Cowboy lockroom escapade, you get rid of him. He doesnt want to be here. He see's no future here. They let Sherman go for basically nothing, Kam has now retired, and the team is in a rebuilding mode. I believe he feels like he would rather do something meaningful with those few remaining years like playing for his home/boyhood team the Cowboys rather than fading out here in Seattle while they try to put the pieces together again. Love Earl and would hate to see him leave, but he'll be a distraction and problem if he stays.

As for the contract numbers, he made the window high so the Hawks are less likely to sign him. He realizes he's not worth that much. He'll sign with another team for less eventually just to get out of here.
    pittpnthrs
    NET Veteran

• To add to the point about trading stars not usually working out, people often cite the Pats as an example of it working, but they sure as heck could've used Chandler Jones this year.

I'm worried that if Earl leaves we will have to replace so many positions it'll be tough to field a top 10 D ad I just don't see the offense being good enough to compensate for that.
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran

• adeltaY wrote:To add to the point about trading stars not usually working out, people often cite the Pats as an example of it working, but they sure as heck could've used Chandler Jones this year.

I'm worried that if Earl leaves we will have to replace so many positions it'll be tough to field a top 10 D ad I just don't see the offense being good enough to compensate for that.

Of course there's a risk for trading players, especially in their prime like NE does.

The difference is NE is still good and goes to SB's, we clung to our aging high priced players and got bounced out of the playoffs and didn't even get there last year.

What NE does, and I hope Pete and John learned is to trust your system more than you trust your players.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• Agreed, they make it to the SB, but they won their past two by the skin of their teeth and got let down by a defense that was a weakness the entire season in the most recent one. Their system is the best, but their talent has let them down before.

We will see this season if it was the Seahawks system or all pro players who made it happen.
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran

• adeltaY wrote:
    We will see this season if it was the Seahawks system or all pro players who made it happen.

I trust Pete's system, it's worked for him for the better part of 20 years at USC and the NFL......................... but IMO it's going to take 2-3 years before the verdict is in on whether he and John still have the magic in finding value and talent on the personnel side.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• That's a great point. It did take Pete a few years to get us into contention when he first arrived, though he started with much less established talent than we have now. If we aren't seriously competing for the SB by 2020, we'll have our answer.
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran

• adeltaY wrote:That's a great point. It did take Pete a few years to get us into contention when he first arrived, though he started with much less established talent than we have now. If we aren't seriously competing for the SB by 2020, we'll have our answer.

The good news is we already have a top 5 QB in his prime, we didn't have that before.

So really all Pete and John have to fix is the defense and run game, and IMO we're on our way to doing both........but the D-line and defensive backfield still need quite a bit of work and time to get back to an elite level. Never going to get back to the elite level of 2010-2013, but we can get close.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• Shoot, if they have a middle of the pack running game this year, they could be surprisingly good. Really looking forward to seeing what they can do. And w/out Cabevell, hopefully something new and creative.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

• Part of the reason our defense struggled last year was the ineptitude of the offense. The defense wasn't allowed to rest and often had to defend a short field after the offense went 3-and-out.

Relying on a passing game means more series because of clock stoppages. That's more times the defense needs to take the field.

Combine the two, and any defense struggles.

So a healthy running game means a rested defense taking the field for fewer defensive series, which sets a defense up for success, particularly since the success of a defense is measured on scoring and yards, both of which go down if there are fewer offensive series for the opponent.

Last year the offense was no help whatsoever. The defenders got tired, so they gave up yards and scores. This year if the offense is even half-competent, look for much-improved defensive numbers.
    KiwiHawk
    NET Veteran

• KiwiHawk wrote:Part of the reason our defense struggled last year was the ineptitude of the offense. The defense wasn't allowed to rest and often had to defend a short field after the offense went 3-and-out.

Relying on a passing game means more series because of clock stoppages. That's more times the defense needs to take the field.

So a healthy running game means a rested defense taking the field for fewer defensive series, which sets a defense up for success, particularly since the success of a defense is measured on scoring and yards, both of which go down if there are fewer offensive series for the opponent.

Last year the offense was no help whatsoever. The defenders got tired, so they gave up yards and scores. This year if the offense is even half-competent, look for much-improved defensive numbers.

Seattle was towards the top for defensive snaps last year, but that doesn't explain away all of the defensive struggles.

We got old and lacked depth VERY fast towards the middle of the season........and I get it, the more the offense plays well, of course that helps keep the defense healthier and fresher.

But 2017 is a case study in EXACTLY why you don't spend most of your cap on aging defensive stars who break down and can no longer perform like they did in their prime.

Stay young, hungry and nasty on defense, and if you're going to pay, pay on offense to keep your quality and add talent if needed.

We've been doing the opposite the last 4-5 years. Pay all your defensive stars, and bargain bin shop on the O-line.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• Gotta' eat up more clock this year, period. It's too much to ask of any defense when you keep going 3 and out on offense.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

• Sgt. Largent wrote:
    KiwiHawk wrote:Part of the reason our defense struggled last year was the ineptitude of the offense. The defense wasn't allowed to rest and often had to defend a short field after the offense went 3-and-out.

Seattle was towards the top for defensive snaps last year, but that doesn't explain away all of the defensive struggles.

We got old and lacked depth VERY fast towards the middle of the season........and I get it, the more the offense plays well, of course that helps keep the defense healthier and fresher.

But 2017 is a case study in EXACTLY why you don't spend most of your cap on aging defensive stars who break down and can no longer perform like they did in their prime.

Stay young, hungry and nasty on defense, and if you're going to pay, pay on offense to keep your quality and add talent if needed.

We've been doing the opposite the last 4-5 years. Pay all your defensive stars, and bargain bin shop on the O-line.

The reason it is a case study is for exactly the purpose of making sure that the backups in integral positions are up to the task. In our sB year, our backups were as qualified as our front liners. So, if we lost one, NEXT MAN UP actually meant something. The following year, we were poached like deer in the back woods. We had NO BACKUPS. at all. That is what drew us down. When we lost a few players last year, our backups were marginal if that. That would be the next case study....Are our backups ready for the challenge if our mainbots lose their harddrive?????????????????
    R.I.P. Queen.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

PreviousNext

It is currently Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:11 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information