Clayton’s observations from OTAs

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Let’s review some of the observations from OTAs.

I made the comment when the Seahawks drafted Rashaad Penny in the first round that I still think Chris Carson would be the opening day starter. From what we saw in the OTAs, that could still be the case. Penny looks great, but Carson has been the unofficial star of the offseason. His weight is up 10 pounds to 226 and he’s running with speed and power.

http://sports.mynorthwest.com/468084/cl ... a-concern/

sutz

Reaction score
We should all like this one:

Even though it’s hard to judge offensive lines in non-contract practices, the offensive line shows signs of improvement. Germain Ifedi should improve dramatically at right tackle thanks to Mike Solari’s blocking scheme. Ethan Pocic has also been impressive and looks good in a more physical scheme.

Trrrroy

Reaction score
I'm concerned that our D-line will look a lot like it did in 2012, with Clark being the new Chris Clemons and only consistently effective pass rusher. Hopefully someone else steps up.

chris98251

Reaction score
sutz":n8eh7v36 said:

Even though it’s hard to judge offensive lines in non-contract practices, the offensive line shows signs of improvement. Germain Ifedi should improve dramatically at right tackle thanks to Mike Solari’s blocking scheme. Ethan Pocic has also been impressive and looks good in a more physical scheme.

This is Solaris class to Bevell, this is all we need !

[youtube]04F4xlWSFh0[/youtube]

OP
OP
hawknation2018

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Trrrroy":3byfvi2h said:
I'm concerned that our D-line will look a lot like it did in 2012, with Clark being the new Chris Clemons and only consistently effective pass rusher. Hopefully someone else steps up.

Well, they have lost a lot of talent at that position group.

On the plus side, Reed has developed into a better pass rusher. Jones showed some talent as a pass rusher. Johnson is a plus pass rusher. Smith is a very good pass rusher. Jordan should be back by training camp. I really like Green's potential too.

toffee

Reaction score
sutz":12yk46wx said:

If Ifeldi become adequate, we are set at tackles and center positions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
This is all "powder room" talk. I'll believe it when we see real live opponents with pads on a crossed the scrimmage line.
I've been watching the Hawks since 1976. The only TC I got excited about our prospects was Russel Wilson's first year. This is way too early to predict this season's record.

King Dog

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":1bajg2kn said:
This is all "powder room" talk. I'll believe it when we see real live opponents with pads on a crossed the scrimmage line.
I've been watching the Hawks since 1976. The only TC I got excited about our prospects was Russel Wilson's first year. This is way too early to predict this season's record.

I'm not familiar with "powder room" talk. Is that where you hang out?

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":38q9rlw8 said:

Way to ruin it

Smellyman

Reaction score
Trrrroy":208x16km said:

I am more concerned that w/o Bennett and Avril, Clark isn't getting a pass rush at all.

GeekHawk

Reaction score
Smellyman":2cqyiz6m said:
I am more concerned that w/o Bennett and Avril, Clark isn't getting a pass rush at all.

Without Bennett there will be many times when opponent's drives are no longer extended by 3rd-and-long turning into 3rd-and-short due to stupidly lining up offsides or jumping the gun. So, there's that part.

Seymour

Reaction score
Professor squirrel has lost it if he thinks Penny doesn't overtake Carson at some point this season. I like Carson a lot, but Penny is a cut above him and it will show before mid season IMO. :2thumbs:

But...I understand where the OP is coming from. Another attempt to backup his WTH Penny attitude.

mikeak

Reaction score
Seymour":2zcvaqrs said:
Professor squirrel has lost it if he thinks Penny doesn't overtake Carson at some point this season. I like Carson a lot, but Penny is a cut above him and it will show before mid season IMO. :2thumbs:

But...I understand where the OP is coming from. Another attempt to backup his Penny attitude.

Agree based on the number of carries they have in the NFL Penny is clearly the better player. I am sure that there has never been a RB late in the first round that looked good in college that didn't make it in the NFL

:sarcasm_off:

The original quote states "Penny looks great" and Carson would still be the "OPENING day starter"

You know maybe because of knowing how to watch film on an NFL level, blocking etc things like that

But hey lets make that a NEGATIVE post about Penny because anything where Penny isn't the superstar that will fix everything for Seattle the moment he steps onto the field is somehow negative

Seymour

Reaction score
mikeak":x62v60aa said:
Seymour":x62v60aa said:

But...I understand where the OP is coming from. Another attempt to backup his WTF Penny attitude.

Agree based on the number of carries they have in the NFL Penny is clearly the better player. I am sure that there has never been a RB late in the first round that looked good in college that didn't make it in the NFL

:sarcasm_off:

The original quote states "Penny looks great" and Carson would still be the "OPENING day starter"

You know maybe because of knowing how to watch film on an NFL level, blocking etc things like that

But hey lets make that a NEGATIVE post about Penny because anything where Penny isn't the superstar that will fix everything for Seattle the moment he steps onto the field is somehow negative

LMAO!!! Dude....they haven't even put the pads on yet!! :roll:

I made the comment when the Seahawks drafted Rashaad Penny in the first round that I still think Chris Carson would be the opening day starter.

^^^ that is not using NFL film, he made this comment on DRAFT DAY! He too is attempting to backup his original opinion.

No it's not a negative on Penny....Both being good and one edging the other out is a good problem! Move along now, nothing for you to start here.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Trrrroy":1nasni4h said:

Yup. I agree. That's why it's very important to have a really solid secondary to help out the guys up front.

Reaction score
The O-Line should look better in practice just because the star pass rushers are all gone...

Avril, Bennett, Richardson. Even though Clark has looked fairly good, he doesn't match those guys.

Seymour

Reaction score
QuickLightning":3pyj2ekg said:
The O-Line should look better in practice just because the star pass rushers are all gone...

Avril, Bennett, Richardson. Even though Clark has looked fairly good, he doesn't match those guys.

Clark isn't there either. But I agree with your point. Mine has been that as long as pads are off we will know next to nothing on oline and RB positions.

mikeak

Reaction score
Seymour":3bnh1t29 said:
Move along now, nothing for you to start here.

Seymour":3bnh1t29 said:
But...I understand where the OP is coming from. Another attempt to backup his WTF Penny attitude.

.[/quote]

I am not starting anything but you do need to check the mirror. The original post was a fine observation from a very known writer - lets leave it at that.

I do agree - good problem to have and last year's injury proves why we need two RBs that are potential starters

toffee

Reaction score
I have been surprised by the lack of coverage on Penny, and overwhelming coverage on Carson so far, by of media and Pete.

Quite curious to the reason behind the imbalance of coverage, especially by Pete.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts