Byron Maxwell, aka “Boost,” taking first team reps at RCB

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Maxwell had no health issues, working fully throughout the practice and with the first team at right cornerback when the first team defense took the field for the first time, with Shaquill Griffin on the left side, a cornernback alignment that will likely be the team’s starting cornerback pairing in 2018.
As Maxwell took the field Tuesday, he did so with a jersey on which was written the word “Boost’’ over his name. Since Maxwell was not made available to the media, though, the meaning was left a mystery.

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/sea ... m-defense/

FinNasty

Reaction score
Not a fan of Maxwell, dude is a bum lol. Maybe he's good in this defense but man he is abysmal outside of it lol...

sdog1981

Reaction score
FinNasty":1gd6kwp8 said:
Not a fan of Maxwell, dude is a bum lol. Maybe he's good in this defense but man he is abysmal outside of it lol...

He is a system player and he works in the system Carroll runs. It is the same thing as all the players who are "bums" once they leave New England. That is how you win in the NFL get a system that works and find cheap players who only work in your system.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Yep Max may not be much outside of Seattle but in our system he thrives.

sutz

Reaction score
When Maxwel left, he was doing quite well for us. Because of that, he got a good FA contract elsewhere. Since he's been back, he's shown much of the talent he had when here before.

One caveat, of course, is that he had the best safety in the league behind him in our typical 3-deep zone system. He didn't have that on the other teams. ET is endangering that with his holdout. If we can't replace him, it might affect the play of the CB's.

Overall, though, I'm certainly happy to have Maxie back.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I’m happy to see this player show up along with Clark, Maxie is no bum in our system and likely was expected to do too much in Philly and Miami when it clear he’s very solid in run support and reliable and steady but not exceptional in pass coverage.

He plays well in our C3 which is probably the best fit for him. The whole scheme will need to be tweaked if Thomas isn’t here.

Atradees

Reaction score
Love Maxwell.....he just causes turnovers with his length. Missed him when he was gone. We were diminished. It would be nice to get an extended look at the 6 foot 3 Tre Flowers at RCB in the preseason.

Greenhell

Reaction score
Aros":28wnijmg said:

Dude is a baller in Seattle's system.

Vaclav44

Reaction score
Greenhell":1rl3h2u8 said:
Aros":1rl3h2u8 said:

And this (above) is all that matters. He's here, he's in and he's ours. May he overcome the naysayers and ball out!

daveyoung52

Reaction score
Vaclav44":2rsw4e4b said:
Greenhell":2rsw4e4b said:
Aros":2rsw4e4b said:

And this (above) is all that matters. He's here, he's in and he's ours. May he overcome the naysayers and ball out!
And so say all of us :irishdrinkers:

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Greenhell":25wzv1gh said:
Aros":25wzv1gh said:

The free safety that made Seattle's system what it is, just committed to a holdout.

toffee

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":i66irnyo said:
Greenhell":i66irnyo said:
Aros":i66irnyo said:

The free safety that made Seattle's system what it is, just committed to a holdout.

We shall see how our HOF FS perform this season. With another team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jville

Reaction score
Byron Maxwell returned and plugged right in while giving their take away game a boost.
Seattle may have lost some key players on defense, but 10 of their 14 interceptions were created by players still on the team (Shaquill Griffin, Earl Thomas, Justin Coleman, Bobby Wagner, K.J. Wright, Byron Maxwell, and Nazair Jones), as well as nine of the 11 forced fumbles (Thomas, Maxwell, Frank Clark, Marcus Smith, Kam Chancellor, Jarran Reed, and Dion Jordan). [urltargetblank]https://www.fieldgulls.com/2018/6/4/17424098/seahawks-defense-led-nfl-in-games-with-a-takeaway-in-2017-turnovers-kris-richard[/urltargetblank]

raisethe3

Reaction score
Atradees":2lhx6498 said:
Love Maxwell.....he just causes turnovers with his length. Missed him when he was gone. We were diminished. It would be nice to get an extended look at the 6 foot 3 Tre Flowers at RCB in the preseason.

I think Tre Flowers work at LCB with Griffin sliding in at the slot on passing downs. Maxwell stays at RCB. I could see this happening. Since Griffin is super quick, I am sure he can the smaller slot receivers who have always given us trouble in the past.

LudwigsDrummer

Reaction score
raisethe3":2eze7s2t said:
Atradees":2eze7s2t said:

I think Tre Flowers work at LCB with Griffin sliding in at the slot on passing downs. Maxwell stays at RCB. I could see this happening. Since Griffin is super quick, I am sure he can the smaller slot receivers who have always given us trouble in the past.
Griffin sliding into the slot would eliminate Coleman. Bad move IMO.

chris98251

Reaction score
LudwigsDrummer":xdxh7e8v said:
raisethe3":xdxh7e8v said:
Atradees":xdxh7e8v said:

Griffin sliding into the slot would eliminate Coleman. Bad move IMO.

Agreed Griff is too long, why Coleman works there so well great quick twitch.

adeltaY

Reaction score
In a Cover 3 system the FS doesn't really help the CBs unless there's no deep middle route because the outside thirds aren't actually his responsibility, right? Not sure how common those kinds of route combos are, but in that case it was good to have a CB of Sherman's caliber so Earl could leave him on an "island" against a deep route run on his side and cheat towards the lesser CB's deep third. Now that we don't have a shutdown CB (unless Quill takes a massive leap) it'll be interesting to see that works for a whole season. That's assuming ETIII is playing.

I'm hoping Maxwell will be better for us this year than last after knocking off some rust. Barring an age or injury-related slowdown, being back in the system for offseason programming should help. Both CBs were having trouble against comebacks and in-breaking routes from what I recall. Ball skills are a little lacking too (asides from Maxy retaining his knack for forcing fumbles). I don't think Browner was necessarily a much more fundamentally sound corner than what we have now, but boy did he have a knack for getting turnovers. Sherman was the same before they stopped throwing at him. INTs have dried up since the glory days, would be great to see our guys get their hands on some more passes this season.

Atradees

Reaction score
Tre will get some action in the preseason as it makes less sense to play the wiley veteran Maxwell. That's my 2 cents as far as opportunity to see what he (Tre) has. We do have a host of other CB pickups....

Tical21

Reaction score
People conveniently forget that Maxwell thrived to one of the worst QB ratings against last season. Was like a 120+.

12thman.garydrake

Reaction score
Time to see who all is ready to step up. It feels alot like when Sherm got his chance when Tru went down. I'm just glad the K. Jennings and J. Wilson days are over. Lol