Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Former Colts GM Ryan Grigson lands with Hawks

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
  • Do you ever have something positive to say about the Hawks? Just curious :mrgreen:
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    User avatar
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 10499
    Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:59 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


  • So they pick up one of the worst FO people in the NFL currently and you want me to find something nice to say about it? How are you happy about this is my question?
    User avatar
    pittpnthrs
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1097
    Joined: Fri May 19, 2017 10:19 am


  • Because the team won't stand in the way of a FO member getting a better job and as such are able to have regular line-up of folks want to improve themselves working here.

    Grigson was voted NFL executive of the year by the whole league, as such he probably is a whole lot better than some here would acknowledge. he apparently wants to be here and JS & Co want him here. That's good enough for me.

    Nobody is telling anyone what they should think here but this guy is far from being a bum, as alleged by some here. Let's get some perspective with respect to this situation. Think what you want, and say whatever you want, I just disagree and think the wholly negative viewpoint is unreasonably negative.
    Last edited by jammerhawk on Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Until we develop a pass rush that will cause opposing teams to be forced to scheme to defend it we will never be able to consistently take the final step. The interior rush needs improvement. The OLine clearly still needs work.

    Super Bowl XLVIII Champions at last after 38 seasons. Awesome!!!
    jammerhawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5414
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:13 pm


  • Well, he isn't that fat guy with the goblet that destroyed our first Super Bowl team and more than anyone else, is responsible for why Walter Jones has no ring.

    That is a positive.

    But the issue I have with second chances is that you lose the ability to find someone that deserves a first chance.

    And it was not just his decisions. Yes, he made terrible decisions as a GM based on his roster record.

    But he compounded it by being a jerk. He was a toxic personality in the clubhouse, by many accounts.

    So we are taking this massive chance that he is not going to make things unpleasant for others there.

    At least with Scot, he might have been difficult to get along with (or drunk, I have no idea) but he had exceptional results - especially with juxtaposed with the cost.

    This guy has terrible results AND might be a complete jerk.

    BUT he isn't Ruskell. So I suppose that is a positive....is that better?
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3348
    Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:48 pm


  • Perhaps time will tell, he may be terrible or he may help the FO. Suspecting only the worst is a pessimistic viewpoint.
    Until we develop a pass rush that will cause opposing teams to be forced to scheme to defend it we will never be able to consistently take the final step. The interior rush needs improvement. The OLine clearly still needs work.

    Super Bowl XLVIII Champions at last after 38 seasons. Awesome!!!
    jammerhawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5414
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:13 pm


  • Some people just want to see the negative in everything. Do you, it's all good :irishdrinkers:
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    User avatar
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 10499
    Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:59 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


  • jammerhawk wrote:Perhaps time will tell, he may be terrible or he may help the FO. Suspecting only the worst is a pessimistic viewpoint.


    That depends on the situation IMO. Turning a blind eye to red flags and downward trends can become a disaster and destroy a team also. Which do we have the most recent experience seeing happen here?

    For the record, I am "fairly" content with this years draft at this early stage, and believe we could be getting back on track. But I also believe that this is a crucial time for Pete and this organization and it could easily go either way. That is why I am closely watching all moves myself.
    User avatar
    Seymour
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5612
    Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:41 pm


  • People getting their panties in a bunch over this is funny. :P

    We hired a former GM in a minor advisory role within the front office.
    User avatar
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2534
    Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:04 pm




  • Well said. :lol:
    User avatar
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2534
    Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:04 pm


  • jammerhawk wrote:Grigson was voted NFL executive of the year by the whole league, as such he probably is a whole lot better than some here would acknowledge.


    And he's been fired twice since then. The same team he received that award with, thought so much of him that they got rid of him with 3 years left on his contract. He then goes to a team that didnt win a single game last season and when the dust settled, they didnt want him either. Why do we?

    he apparently wants to be here and JS & Co want him here. That's good enough for me.


    Of course he wants to be here, we're the only organization willing to offer him a paycheck. JS & Co have been making a lot of questionable decisions the past 3 or so years and this looks like another one. You cant expect fans to not wonder and question this move.
    User avatar
    pittpnthrs
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1097
    Joined: Fri May 19, 2017 10:19 am


  • pittpnthrs wrote:
    jammerhawk wrote:Here's another viewpoint on Grigson:
    complain if you want, but the FO has been pretty astute in getting things done as all sorts of team aroundd the league keep picking up members of the Seahawks FO.


    Then why are we letting them go and settling on guys like Ryan Grigson?


    LOL Such a perception is so totally off. People move on because of choice. John and Pete don't settle. They are free to pick and chose who they want to include for each campaign. This is America. The land of free will, choice and volunteers.
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *
     
    Posts: 7942
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:49 pm


  • hawknation2018 wrote:People getting their panties in a bunch over this is funny. :P

    We hired a former GM in a minor advisory role within the front office.


    I think we are just wanting to know the reason why? Minor or not, why would anybody want counsel from a guy who has been downright terrible at decision making and opinions for the past few years? Even the worst team in the league showed him the door.

    I'll leave it alone after this. but its a move that makes little to no sense.
    User avatar
    pittpnthrs
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1097
    Joined: Fri May 19, 2017 10:19 am


  • The outrage over this hire seems a bit excessive. Would anybody get angry if we hired Hue Jackson to be our offensive coordinator? He's been an utter failure as a HC so far. The logic is the same. Some people just do better in lesser roles.
    I hate Tim Ruskell.
    User avatar
    Trrrroy
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3244
    Joined: Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:24 am


  • pittpnthrs wrote:
    hawknation2018 wrote:People getting their panties in a bunch over this is funny. :P

    We hired a former GM in a minor advisory role within the front office.


    I think we are just wanting to know the reason why? Minor or not, why would anybody want counsel from a guy who has been downright terrible at decision making and opinions for the past few years? Even the worst team in the league showed him the door.

    I'll leave it alone after this. but its a move that makes little to no sense.


    Because he has the rare experience of serving as a GM for six years (in addition to another 13 years as a scout or director), and the position is only a consultant role. Without even having interviewed him, it seems obvious.

    That being said, it would be great if they would add another OL specialist to the FO.
    User avatar
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2534
    Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:04 pm


  • hawknation2018 wrote:
    Because he has the rare experience of serving as a GM for six years (in addition to another 13 years as a scout or director), and the position is only a consultant role. Without even having interviewed him, it seems obvious.



    Whats obvious is how bad he has been for the last 3 to 4 years. Lets disregard that though. He's definitely the guy I want to run ideas past in the teams current state.
    User avatar
    pittpnthrs
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1097
    Joined: Fri May 19, 2017 10:19 am


  • Wow man, relax. Why so salty?
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    User avatar
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 10499
    Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:59 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


  • pittpnthrs wrote:
    hawknation2018 wrote:
    Because he has the rare experience of serving as a GM for six years (in addition to another 13 years as a scout or director), and the position is only a consultant role. Without even having interviewed him, it seems obvious.



    Whats obvious is how bad he has been for the last 3 to 4 years. Lets disregard that though. He's definitely the guy I want to run ideas past in the teams current state.


    People get fired all the time in the NFL. That's not a useful metric to judge them by.

    He did good with the Eagles, and I would discount his getting fired from the Dolts, their owner is a drunk. He kept Chuck Pagano around wayyyyy too long.

    And...Cleveland is also not a good metric. When was the last time they made a good decision? Was it when they traded away the pick that turned in to Carson Wentz?

    You're basing your opinion off of other people's opinions instead of facts.

    Kyle Shanahan was fired as the offensive coach of the Redskins. Were the 49ers stupid to hire him based on that fact?
    "God Bless the Seattle Seahawks" Cortez Kennedy

    http://ivotuk.com/
    User avatar
    ivotuk
    * NET Moderator *
     
    Posts: 17767
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:29 pm
    Location: North Pole, Alaska


  • I get the optimism because this is a seahawk fan forum, but objectively you can’t possibly be excited about this pickup
    NJlargent
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1437
    Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:02 pm


  • NJlargent wrote:I get the optimism because this is a seahawk fan forum, but objectively you can’t possibly be excited about this pickup

    On the other side of that coin, I understand the pessimism but no one can really think this move is going to ruin the team, right?
    User avatar
    Sonichellboy
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 296
    Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:41 pm


  • Sonichellboy wrote:
    NJlargent wrote:I get the optimism because this is a seahawk fan forum, but objectively you can’t possibly be excited about this pickup

    On the other side of that coin, I understand the pessimism but no one can really think this move is going to ruin the team, right?


    I think the move is irrelevant. I am also not going to create optimism over it either because it is not warranted under an objective review.
    NJlargent
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1437
    Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:02 pm


  • It looks to me like his top 4 draft choices every year played a lot a games. Not only is there nothing wrong with that, it shows he is a solid evaluator. The only true way to judge would be on a side by side comparison to others, not by how his team did. Just about all teams suck at winning games without a great QB. That is the case in Indy.
    jeremiah
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 107
    Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:10 pm


  • So my team sucks bad and I get the first, first round pick and pick a guy the world says is a savior because hey he's there. I get executive of the year and can't find another pick that can contribute to the team over several years.

    Damn, I am awesome and should be given Idol worship level priase because Andrew Luck was available when I picked him.
    Image

    To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    User avatar
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 25106
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


  • So from that chart it seems as if he made some good choices in 2012 but hasn’t hit a lick since? Sounds like he will fit right in.
    User avatar
    brimsalabim
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4154
    Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:50 am


  • We will see how this plays out.

    My concern is that someone with a clear track record of being less than productive and having personality issues is now potentially in a position to impact other people in the organization.

    What makes this organization successful?

    Is it the people or the process?

    If it is the people, we are diluting the pool.

    If it is the process, maybe there is some value to be extracted here - but it still creates additional problems.

    As it is, he is here, we are stuck with him for now. So let's hope he produces some value and does not do too much damage.

    But this is not a move that differentiates our organization from other clubs. If anything, it moves our own club closer to the rest of the pack than it already was. I am not sure how bringing in a guy that literally represents some of the groupthink that permeates the league, and defines a middle of the pack producer, is a win. But maybe we needed someone to fill gaps or carry buckets so the guys that make the extraordinary decisions can be freed up to do so.

    At least I am hoping that is what it is. But if you ever wanted a sign that the Seahawks aren't going to be that different than the rest of league? This is pretty close to one.
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3348
    Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:48 pm


  • Dang, where's my "glum" pic when I need it? :lol:
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    User avatar
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 10499
    Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:59 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


  • A scout who worked with Grigson in Philadelphia said Grigson was the worst scout he had ever been around, and cited that he gave Von Miller a 2nd rd grade. He wasn't surprised that he was a train-wreck as a GM.

    He is terrible, stop white knighting & damage controlling people. It is pathetic.

    Other than maybe taking the tactic of doing the opposite of whatever he says this is a bad hire.
    User avatar
    Fade
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1801
    Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:26 am
    Location: Truth Ray


  • Fade wrote:A scout who worked with Grigson in Philadelphia said Grigson was the worst scout he had ever been around, and cited that he gave Von Miller a 2nd rd grade. He wasn't surprised that he was a train-wreck as a GM.

    He is terrible, stop white knighting & damage controlling people. It is pathetic.

    Other than maybe taking the tactic of doing the opposite of whatever he says this is a bad hire.


    That's interesting. Do you have a link that might contribute to the conversation?

    We are all working with limited information. In general, I don't believe that adding more experience to the front office is a bad thing.
    User avatar
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2534
    Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:04 pm


  • hawknation2018 wrote:
    Fade wrote:A scout who worked with Grigson in Philadelphia said Grigson was the worst scout he had ever been around, and cited that he gave Von Miller a 2nd rd grade. He wasn't surprised that he was a train-wreck as a GM.

    He is terrible, stop white knighting & damage controlling people. It is pathetic.

    Other than maybe taking the tactic of doing the opposite of whatever he says this is a bad hire.


    That's interesting. Do you have a link that might contribute to the conversation?

    We are all working with limited information. In general, I don't believe that adding more experience to the front office is a bad thing.



    Grigson comments start at 11:25.

    John Middlekauff brings his unique perspective as a former NFL scout, NFL analyst and radio host.
    User avatar
    Fade
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1801
    Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:26 am
    Location: Truth Ray


  • Fade wrote:
    hawknation2018 wrote:
    Fade wrote:A scout who worked with Grigson in Philadelphia said Grigson was the worst scout he had ever been around, and cited that he gave Von Miller a 2nd rd grade. He wasn't surprised that he was a train-wreck as a GM.

    He is terrible, stop white knighting & damage controlling people. It is pathetic.

    Other than maybe taking the tactic of doing the opposite of whatever he says this is a bad hire.


    That's interesting. Do you have a link that might contribute to the conversation?

    We are all working with limited information. In general, I don't believe that adding more experience to the front office is a bad thing.



    Grigson comments start at 11:25.

    John Middlekauff brings his unique perspective as a former NFL scout, NFL analyst and radio host.


    Thanks, appreciate it.
    User avatar
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2534
    Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:04 pm


  • Curious hire. He's kind of really awful, and it makes me question the judgment of our front office to give Grigson any kind of role, but that role shouldn't be large enough to take the team down.
    User avatar
    Rat
    * NET Cynic *
     
    Posts: 5082
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:42 pm
    Location: Grand Rapids, MI


  • Fade wrote:

    Grigson comments start at 11:25.

    John Middlekauff brings his unique perspective as a former NFL scout, NFL analyst and radio host.


    Wow. Pretty black and white there.
    User avatar
    pittpnthrs
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1097
    Joined: Fri May 19, 2017 10:19 am


  • pittpnthrs wrote:
    Fade wrote:

    Grigson comments start at 11:25.

    John Middlekauff brings his unique perspective as a former NFL scout, NFL analyst and radio host.


    Wow. Pretty black and white there.


    "Do what Belichick does." 30-year-old Devin McCourty has a $12 million cap hit this year. He turns 31 in August. They recently traded for his twin brother, Jason McCourty. Highly unlikely they will dump McCourty, despite his age and salary.

    The "blueprint" is not as clear as some will make it out to be.
    User avatar
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2534
    Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:04 pm


  • Trrrroy wrote:The outrage over this hire seems a bit excessive. Would anybody get angry if we hired Hue Jackson to be our offensive coordinator? He's been an utter failure as a HC so far. The logic is the same. Some people just do better in lesser roles.


    Good point!
    As a landlord, I find that former homeowners are some of the best tenants. They understand the gig and have respect for the property and the things it takes to keep a house properly maintained, they pitch in and help, in a quality way, often without having to be asked, and generally don't whine or do things or create issues that are counterproductive to the smooth operation of the property.

    Grigson at least understands the GM gig, whether he was ever really any good at it or not, and can contribute, in his limited consultant role, with a reasonably accurate picture of all the things a GM has to deal with. Possibly he can be the dissenting voice that says "No, we shouldn't pick <favorite draft bust goes here>, because <some deficiency that will be exposed in the NFL>" or "No, we shouldn't pick up and pay <Eddie Lacy, Luke Joeckel, Percy Harvin>, because his tank is empty, he's overpriced, he isn't healthy enough to contribute, and <some young underpaid guy he is aware of> would be a far better value." Or even as mentioned elsewhere, the anti-scout--whatever Grigson says--do the opposite.

    With his "abrasive" reputation, for sure he won't be so afraid to share what he perceives as "The ugly truth" about a player, his system fit, personal issues, etc. and could be the dissenting voice that snaps Pete and the rest of the braintrust out of GroupThink, where everyone wants to buy in with Pete so much that they overlook showstopper flaws, especially like the Percy Harvin fiasco. If Grigson were a Narcissistic (PD) sociopath, or has a gift for understanding them, (and I'm absolutely NOT saying he is), he would have recognized elements of that in guys like Percy Harvin (IMO, checks many boxes for sociopathic flavor of Borderline PD) and would know how that player would affect the team and locker room. For example, with guys like Brandon Marshall, an acknowledged Borderline PD guy, Grigson might have unique insights. Personally, as an accidental Borderline Whisperer, I think Marshall will be a good fit for a one-year gig here, if he has enough left in the tank.

    Basically, Grigson has enough abrasiveness, confidence in speaking out, knowledge, and awareness of "dark side" issues to contribute a point of view that could stop several train wrecks from occurring. Pete's excessive positivity and ability to get others on board has a downside at times, in not properly factoring in dark side issues at times. Howie Roseman's comments suggest that providing dissenting opinions and short-circuiting Groupthink was one of Grigson's key roles when with the Eagles. In that type of role, he should be a contributor here.
    2018 Adopt-A-Rookie: Rashaad Penny
    2018 BounceBack Bet: C.J. Prosise
    User avatar
    olyfan63
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2099
    Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:03 am


  • Fade wrote:
    hawknation2018 wrote:
    Fade wrote:A scout who worked with Grigson in Philadelphia said Grigson was the worst scout he had ever been around, and cited that he gave Von Miller a 2nd rd grade. He wasn't surprised that he was a train-wreck as a GM.

    He is terrible, stop white knighting & damage controlling people. It is pathetic.

    Other than maybe taking the tactic of doing the opposite of whatever he says this is a bad hire.


    That's interesting. Do you have a link that might contribute to the conversation?

    We are all working with limited information. In general, I don't believe that adding more experience to the front office is a bad thing.


    Grigson comments start at 11:25.

    John Middlekauff brings his unique perspective as a former NFL scout, NFL analyst and radio host.


    "Without a doubt, the worst scout I have ever worked with".


    .....Confidence inspiring stuff there. I agree on the blame to Pete and John for the situation we are in also. Can they dig their way out is the question we all are waiting to see answered now.

    Moves like this honestly do not inspire confidence in that, and I don't care if they make him waterboy. Winners find ways to win , and losers find ways to lose.
    User avatar
    Seymour
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5612
    Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:41 pm


Previous


It is currently Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:58 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]




Information
  • Who is online