Carroll falls to #4 in Sporting News Coach Rankings

hawknation2018

Reaction score
4. Pete Carroll, Seahawks

Last year: 2
Record: 112-79-1, .621
Playoffs: 9-5, .643

After Seattle missed the playoffs and did some house-cleaning, we're about to see the next chapter of the Carroll era. That might be needed, and the Seahawks still had a winning record last season. The stakes are raised in a tough division, but Carroll should keep his team in the hunt.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/list/nf ... nc/slide/4

Doug Pederson went from #22 to #2 in one year. Mike Tomlin went from #4 to #3.

Strangely, this could be Carroll's best shot to win NFL Coach of the Year honors because that award tends to go to the head coach who surprises people the most. Expectations are decidedly low against the potential of what the team is capable of doing, which sets up the possibility.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
after last season I'm somewhat surprised his ranking isn't lower. Results count except when the Seahawks slaughter the Broncos in the Super Bowl.

adeltaY

Reaction score
A lot more believable than the ranking that had him at #14. I'm okay with Pederson making such a steep jump, what he accomplished given major injuries was very impressive. I can get behind that more so than the rankings that have McVay in the top 5 and Shanahan in the top 10.

Hawk1217

Reaction score
I actually agree with the ranking. If anything maybe even a little high. The reason is a good coach takes the people they have and builds around their strengths. I am not convinced he did a good job of that last year.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Carroll had one of the most talented teams in the league for years and regularly flamed out in the playoffs. (Unless you count wildcard games).

One of the best QBs in the league and literally had no offense in the 1st half of games for several years. And that is WITH guys like Jimmy Graham on the team. The offense was not threadbare.

Finally, Carroll kept one of the worst OCs in the game for years past his due date.

I have a hard time believing there are not 5 coaches in the league that are not better than him. Results do matter. And the SB was near half a decade ago.

I love the guy came here. But the #14 ranking was probably closer to reality than #4. I would put him in the 7-10 range.

But hey, he turns this whole thing around this year and he can earn the #4 to show that ranking was correct.

Seymour

Reaction score
Hawk1217":35q4f126 said:
I actually agree with the ranking. If anything maybe even a little high. The reason is a good coach takes the people they have and builds around their strengths. I am not convinced he did a good job of that last year.

The problem was, "the guys he had" were a direct result of guys he brought in to strengthen the roster.

What strengths do you build around when you pay guys like Lacey, Walsh, and Joeckel to carry the load?

Pete lost the team last season. Anyone in denial of that is not facing the reality of what took place, and what he did this year to resolve it. Losing your team with a talented roster doesn't get you in the top 10 IMO. Overall Pete is better then that yes, but last year somewhere from 8-12 is about right IMO. You also need to judge him by his weakest links in Cabevell that he kept far too long and was a major reason for losing the players as well.

OP
OP
hawknation2018

hawknation2018

Reaction score
It's actually quite funny to read these posts one after another.

You have one side that wants to give him zero credit for personnel decisions, like trading for Lynch and drafting Thomas, Sherman, Chancellor, Wagner, Wright, etc.

Then you have another side that wants to credit him with EVERY bad personnel decision.

Carroll has won playoff games in all six years he has taken the Seahawks to the playoffs. No other coach can say that.

In those six playoff berths, in eight seasons, he took the team to two Super Bowls. Only three active coaches have done that: Carroll, Tomlin, and Belichick.

His defenses led the league in scoring defense for four-consecutive years.

He set NFL records for most consecutive games without losing by more than seven points and by 10 points. He accomplished the same feat in college football.

If not for one ill-fated decision, Carroll would be 3-0 against Bill Belichick with two-consecutive Super Bowl championships.

Fortunately, he made the difficult decision this off-season to move on from his coordinators, whom he had quite a bit of success with.

Now begins the next chapter of his coaching career.

OP
OP
hawknation2018

hawknation2018

Reaction score
In hindsight, what was accomplished in 2015 and 2016 was very impressive considering all the injuries that took place.

In 2015, they suffered injuries to Marshawn Lynch, Jimmy Graham, Paul Richardson, Thomas Rawls, among others. They came very close to coming back and beating Carolina in the playoffs, despite no running game and Wilson throwing a couple uncharacteristic INTs.

In 2016, they were on pace to lead the NFL in scoring defense for a 5th-straight year, until Earl Thomas got hurt. Russell Wilson dealt with a number of injuries that season, yet they still won the division. They also won a playoff game for a 5th-consecutive year.

The unyielding criticism, since the Super Bowl loss, has been probably the most difficult obstacle, next to the injuries.

adeltaY

Reaction score
Why are you not giving Carroll credit for recruiting and developing those guys. I don't think they would have been as good for other teams as they were, have been, or are for us. Pete built the team with John and has input on any personnel decisions he wants to, good or bad outcome.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
adeltaY":2ufz8473 said:
Why are you not giving Carroll credit for recruiting and developing those guys. I don't think they would have been as good for other teams as they were, have been, or are for us. Pete built the team with John and has input on any personnel decisions he wants to, good or bad outcome.
Exactly. Pete is dinged for having a talented team, but not credited for putting together the talented team. Pretty easy to see what agenda is being followed there.

Seymour

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":30oqfx62 said:
adeltaY":30oqfx62 said:
Exactly. Pete is dinged for having a talented team, but not credited for putting together the talented team. Pretty easy to see what agenda is being followed there.

Who are these questions being directed to? Or is that a club secret thing there?

Seymour

Reaction score
adeltaY":1kesfpbn said:
Just you Seymour :p

Well a random question in the middle of a thread is pretty impossible to know that for future reference.

I assume the ranking is based on 2017 coaching results. I tried the link and it is useless and does not load. I am basing my comments on 2017 coaching results and moves, not players drafted in 2012...ect.

That is the basis of this comment.
Losing your team with a talented roster doesn't get you in the top 10 IMO. Overall Pete is better then that yes, but last year somewhere from 8-12 is about right IMO.

Did you read "overall Pete is better than that"???

That is giving credit for previous results and moves is it not??

OP
OP
hawknation2018

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Seymour":6edc4xv5 said:
adeltaY":6edc4xv5 said:

Well a random question in the middle of a thread is pretty impossible to know that for future reference.

I assume the ranking is based on 2017 coaching results. I tried the link and it is useless and does not load. I am basing my comments on 2017 coaching results and moves, not players drafted in 2012...ect.

Losing your team with a talented roster doesn't get you in the top 10 IMO. Overall Pete is better then that yes, but last year somewhere from 8-12 is about right IMO.

No one ranks coaches based on one year.

Belichick went a decade between Super Bowls, including three-straight years without a playoff victory.

Link loads for me on multiple devices. Not sure of the issue you're having, sorry.

Seymour

Reaction score
hawknation2018":2pof2hr8 said:
Seymour":2pof2hr8 said:
adeltaY":2pof2hr8 said:

Belichick went a decade between Super Bowls, including three-straight years without a playoff victory.

Link loads for me on multiple devices. Not sure of the issue you're having, sorry.

Bologna. Then how does Doug Pederson go from #22 to #2 in one year?? :roll:

Add blockers and different browsers stall this site to a crawl. I'm not turning them off for a useless opinion.

OP
OP
hawknation2018

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Overall, it's not a bad list, though I think Carroll still belongs at the #2 spot (behind Belichick).

1. Bill Belichick, Patriots

2. Doug Pederson, Eagles - Too high, IMO; I would have Carroll, Payton, and Tomlin ahead of him.

3. Mike Tomlin, Steelers - Carroll has the better playoff record.

4. Pete Carroll, Seahawks

5. Mike McCarthy, Packers

6. Sean Payton, Saints

7. Mike Zimmer, Vikings

8. Andy Reid, Chiefs

9. Dan Quinn, Falcons

10. Ron Rivera, Panthers

11. John Harbaugh, Ravens

12. Sean McVay, Rams

13. Jason Garrett, Cowboys

14. Bill O'Brien, Texans

15. Doug Marrone, Jaguars - Too low, should be ahead of Garrett and O'Brien

16. Jon Gruden, Raiders - Too low, should be ahead of Garrett and O'Brien

17. Marvin Lewis, Bengals

18. Sean McDermott, Bills

19. Anthony Lynn, Chargers - Seems a bit low, I would stick him at #13

20. Kyle Shanahan, 49ers

21. Adam Gase, Dolphins

22. Jay Gruden, Redskins - I would rank him a few notches higher

23. Todd Bowles, Jets

24. Vance Joseph, Broncos

25. Frank Reich, Colts

26. Dirk Koetter, Buccaneers

27. Steve Wilks, Arizona

28. Matt Nagy, Bears

29. Hue Jackson, Browns

30. Pat Shurmur, Giants

31. Mike Vrabel, Titans

32. Matt Patricia, Lions

OP
OP
hawknation2018

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Seymour":2wrzefys said:
hawknation2018":2wrzefys said:
Seymour":2wrzefys said:
adeltaY":2wrzefys said:

Bologna. Then how does Doug Pederson go from #22 to #2 in one year?? :roll:

Add blockers and different browsers stall this site to a crawl. I'm not turning them off for a useless opinion.

To my knowledge, this site doesn't have any ads.

I guess they are projecting a bit for Doug Pederson, having won a Super Bowl and having beaten Belichick head-to-head with Nick Foles at QB. They show career records for each of the coaches, so they are obviously looking at the totality.

If it were based on ONLY one year, it wouldn't be a coaching ranking. That would just be a power ranking.

Seymour

Reaction score
Not sure why I bother....slow day I suppose. No, it would NOT be a power ranking!! Coaches can underachieve and overachieve beyond their strength of roster.

A coach absolutely does not "get 20 spots better" as a coach in 1 year....period!! They are weighting the rankings based on 2017 results and what they had to work with.....period. Bye now.

OP
OP
hawknation2018

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Seymour":61jtefpw said:
Not sure why I bother....slow day I suppose. No, it would NOT be a power ranking!! Coaches can underachieve and overachieve beyond their strength of roster.

If you can find a coaching ranking that considers only ONE solitary year for each coach, then more power to you. Maybe you can create your own such list for Bleacher Report.

This is not one of "those" lists.

OP
OP
hawknation2018

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Seymour":2j2uqoeb said:

A coach absolutely does not "get 20 spots better" as a coach in 1 year....period!! They are weighting the rankings based on 2017 results and what they had to work with.....period. Bye now.

It's funny how adamant you are about this . . . despite having admitted to not reading the list.

Have a good one! :p