Summer talk: Bradley McDougald’s potentials and issues

toffee

Reaction score
Bradley McDougald has been a starting safety in the league, he may even step in as our starting SS or FS this season. His combine 40 yards was 4.74second, does he has the speed as FS?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

getnasty

Reaction score
I thought he was great filling in for Kam last year and hope he stays at strong safety. He seems like a guy that plays quicker then his 40 time but at the same time he doesn't cover ground like Earl does.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
getnasty":k1o8wq60 said:
I thought he was great filling in for Kam last year and hope he stays at strong safety. He seems like a guy that plays quicker then his 40 time but at the same time he doesn't cover ground like Earl does.

Kam’s 40 was 4.69 slightly quicker but very similar. You are right he may be more suited as SS?

LudwigsDrummer

Reaction score
toffee":2ombbmm1 said:
Bradley McDougald has been a starting safety in the league, he may even step in as our starting SS or FS this season. His combine 40 yards was 4.74second, does he has the speed as FS?
No, but Shaqeem does.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
McDougald's solid instincts make up for his lack of speed. I prefer him at strong safety with Tedric Thompson at FS, while Earl continues his holdout. McDougald has said that he is more comfortable at SS, and the tape backs this up. Thompson is just a gamer and playmaker.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
LudwigsDrummer":1t6ydr4a said:
toffee":1t6ydr4a said:
No, but Shaqeem does.

Yes Shaqeem has supreme speed, but I don’t recall Shaqeem being mentioned as a Earl’s replacement candidate?

hawknation2018

Reaction score
They have been running mainly with McDougald at FS and Hill at SS. SS Mo Alexander is expected to return from his injury by the start of training camp.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Shaquem is an OLB and not a S.

From everything I’ve read his play is better playing forward rather than he is playing in coverage and he’s a genuine scary situational blitzer. There his spread creates coverage and blocking issues for opposing OC’s.

At the outset I expect the team will see Mc Dougald play FS, with Hill playing SS and others relieving both situationally.

Zeearend

Reaction score
jammerhawk":uvl2fquc said:
At the outset I expect the team will see Mc Dougald play FS, with Hill playing SS and others relieving both situationally.

I agree. I don't expect Thomas to start in game 1 as it stands right now.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
McDougald had some sort of injury and ran anyway sort of like that USC RB this year. He ran a 4.51(Edit, many reports put him at 4.49 at 215 pounds) healthy at his pro day. Before Kam had his hip problems in his senior year, he ran a 4.47 as a Junior. He had surgery to fix both hips just before the 2013 seaseon. Earl ran a 4.43 at 202 pounds at the combine. Dropped down to 196 pounds at his pro day for the 4.37. He's no where near 196 or 202 pounds now. Steven Terrell ran a 4.34. He was legitimately faster than Earl and THAT turned out so well....

This isn't madden. Both Kam and McDougald are fast enough for FS. As are the two sophmores. It's a matter of knowing what to do.

chris98251

Reaction score
jammerhawk":3k0xqj30 said:

From everything I’ve read his play is better playing forward rather than he is playing in coverage and he’s a genuine scary situational blitzer. There his spread creates coverage and blocking issues for opposing OC’s.

He has played safety and could, he is good in coverage, ideally he could be Kam 2.0 easlily, he brings additional factors with being able to rush the passer from the edge. he has speed to play just about anywhere in the secondary like his brother but has more size.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
chris98251":1v5jdmnk said:
jammerhawk":1v5jdmnk said:

He has played safety and could, he is good in coverage, ideally he could be Kam 2.0 easlily, he brings additional factors with being able to rush the passer from the edge. he has speed to play just about anywhere in the secondary like his brother but has more size.

Got to think Pete may have him playing FS at some point in pre season.

Jville

Reaction score
vin.couve12":3ipk96be said:
McDougald had some sort of injury and ran anyway sort of like that USC RB this year. He ran a 4.51(Edit, many reports put him at 4.49 at 215 pounds) healthy at his pro day. Before Kam had his hip problems in his senior year, he ran a 4.47 as a Junior. He had surgery to fix both hips just before the 2013 seaseon. Earl ran a 4.43 at 202 pounds at the combine. Dropped down to 196 pounds at his pro day for the 4.37. He's no where near 196 or 202 pounds now. Steven Terrell ran a 4.34. He was legitimately faster than Earl and THAT turned out so well....

This isn't madden. Both Kam and McDougald are fast enough for FS. As are the two sophmores. It's a matter of knowing what to do.
^^^^ Post of the Month!

Nice to have someone around that will do the work to reveal the details that provide the context to bring some needed perspective to a topic. Easily the best post in perspective for the month of June.