Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

POLL: How Long Until The Hawks Get Back To The Super Bowl?

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13

How Soon Will It Take For The Hawks To Get Back To The Super Bowl?

This year. (mic drop)
46
34%
2 years at least.
39
29%
3 years at least.
29
22%
4 years at least.
1
1%
5 years or longer.
19
14%
 
Total votes : 134

  • getnasty wrote:I want to say this year and it could be but Shotty has done nothing in his life as a OC to make me think that the offense will pick up for the losses on defense.


    Let's remember that he hasn't worked with a QB like RW to work with either with exception to Drew Brees (Chargers), Philip Rivers (Chargers) and Brett Favre (Jets) which none are more mobile than Wilson. I believe that the offense will be stronger with Schotty and our Solari as our new O-line coach.
    User avatar
    nrayorr
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 268
    Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:32 am


  • nrayorr wrote:
    getnasty wrote:I want to say this year and it could be but Shotty has done nothing in his life as a OC to make me think that the offense will pick up for the losses on defense.


    Let's remember that he hasn't worked with a QB like RW to work with either with exception to Drew Brees (Chargers), Philip Rivers (Chargers) and Brett Favre (Jets) which none are more mobile than Wilson. I believe that the offense will be stronger with Schotty and our Solari as our new O-line coach.


    Honestly I think it's the defense that's going to be the issue this year, not the offense.

    With Russell, 2-3 good RB's and Solari making the line more consistent..............we should be a good balanced offense again.

    But the D-line and defensive backfield? Not so sure. A LOT of players have to rise up and play well for the defense to not be an issue.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 13087
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


  • Super Bowl this year.

    Shotty designed a solid offense at NY Jet with Mark Sanchez and the running duo of LT and Shonn Greene. Clearly, RW is a major upgrade and the possibly of replicating the run game with Carson/Penny...

    Yes, we lost Jimmy and PRich, but we didn't have a red zone threat like Graham as SB Champs and what did the pundits call our WRs that year? Pedestrian I think?

    Each year teams that are predicted to win a SB ends up with a losing record and others rises up. The Cowboys had a 13-3 record in 16 with Prescott/Elliott. In 17...And who predicted the Rams or the Eagles to do what they did last year. Really?

    Hawks will surprise with an above average Run game. Russ will do his thing, and Pete/Norton will retool this defense.

    Championship.
    truehawksfan
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 728
    Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:55 pm


  • I think our offense is going to flat out shock people this year. Our defense will be good...Above average good. I see the offense top 10, perhaps top 5 even and the defense top 10-15.

    Stop Sleeping On Seattle Mediots.
    Image

    "Shaquem Griffin tells ESPN after he got drafted by Seattle; 'I can't breathe.' That's the only time you'll hear him say he can't do something." - Dan Wetzel via Twitter.
    User avatar
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]
     
    Posts: 12444
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:58 am
    Location: Just 4 miles from Richard Sherman!


  • I want another SB win. I really do. Honestly, I still can't get over SB 49. A part of me died that night. My hope is winning another SB will ease the pain. But, I had to go on leave from work for a month following that game.

    I believe this team will win it all this season. Just a gut feeling.
    Hawker8989
    NET Practice Squad
     
    Posts: 67
    Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:00 pm


  • Hawker8989 wrote: But, I had to go on leave from work for a month following that game.


    Bro, that's hard core. Respect.
    Image

    "Shaquem Griffin tells ESPN after he got drafted by Seattle; 'I can't breathe.' That's the only time you'll hear him say he can't do something." - Dan Wetzel via Twitter.
    User avatar
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]
     
    Posts: 12444
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:58 am
    Location: Just 4 miles from Richard Sherman!


  • Aros wrote:
    Hawker8989 wrote: But, I had to go on leave from work for a month following that game.


    Bro, that's hard core. Respect.


    Thanks. A game shouldn't affect one's daily life. But after that game, I almost wish they would've lost to the Packers. That would've been easier to get over.
    Hawker8989
    NET Practice Squad
     
    Posts: 67
    Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:00 pm


  • It's entirely possible that the Hawks will lose 5 out of 6 to the NFL West this year.

    I, along with many of the old-timers here, suffered through many years of pinning our hopes on 'promising' teams that resulted in mediocre results and poor drafting positions -- it wasn't until we were able to draft for elite players that the foundation for Super Bowl-quality teams were built. After waiting for decades for those Super Bowl contenders, I am willing to wait for a few years of drafting some elite players to build that foundation for another realistic Super Bowl run.
    When a person is dead, he doesn't know he's dead .. Same goes for being stupid.
    chet380
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 773
    Joined: Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:49 pm


  • chet380 wrote:It's entirely possible that the Hawks will lose 5 out of 6 to the NFL West this year.

    I, along with many of the old-timers here, suffered through many years of pinning our hopes on 'promising' teams that resulted in mediocre results and poor drafting positions -- it wasn't until we were able to draft for elite players that the foundation for Super Bowl-quality teams were built. After waiting for decades for those Super Bowl contenders, I am willing to wait for a few years of drafting some elite players to build that foundation for another realistic Super Bowl run.



    Elite players, Sherman 5th round, Kam 5th Round, Wilson 3rd round, Bennett UDFA, How do you know that we don't have some now once they get a chance to play.
    Image

    To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    User avatar
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 24446
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


  • That whole "draft position" excuse is overrated IMO. After the first round, it doesn't mean near as much....meh. It's more about finding diamonds in the rough when you look at the average draft position of our all pro's IMO.
    User avatar
    Seymour
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5107
    Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:41 pm


  • Hawker8989 wrote:I want another SB win. I really do. Honestly, I still can't get over SB 49. A part of me died that night. My hope is winning another SB will ease the pain. But, I had to go on leave from work for a month following that game.

    I believe this team will win it all this season. Just a gut feeling.


    How the hell did you live through SB40??? :shock: :shock:
    User avatar
    Seymour
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5107
    Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:41 pm


  • Why do all of the options besides the first include "at least?"
    purpleneer
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 320
    Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:19 pm
    Location: The Green Lantern (almost)


  • Aros wrote:I think our offense is going to flat out shock people this year. Our defense will be good...Above average good. I see the offense top 10, perhaps top 5 even and the defense top 10-15.

    Stop Sleeping On Seattle Mediots.

    Can you give any solid reason why Seattle will be good this year besides "im a hawk fan"? I think they will be better than most people are predicting, but I do not know where this "Superbowl" talk is coming from. If you're a pundit, WHAT gives you any sort of indication that this team will be above average? The answer is nothing.

    Our offensive line is the same group of misfits we've been fielding for the last few years. Solari won't magically make them block better. It will take several years to fix this mess. They will be better at runblocking just by virtue of Fluker, but in pass pro I expect the same old garbage. Don't expect Schottenheimer to adjust to our poor line either. We essentially hired a second Bevell. The movement from Bevell to Schottenheimer was a straight across trade as far as I'm concerned. Our receivers are worse off than last year, we lost Richardson, and we have no viable threat on the outside other than a receiver that is ready for his AARP card and social security benefits. Doug is good on the outside, but really he does his best work from the slot. Darboh could be something, but we know next to nothing about him. Our outside threats that are known quantities consist of Doug Baldwin, that is it. Even he does his best work from the slot. We have nobody that can replace Richardson's position on the team. A lot of people are looking at Lockett, but Lockett in my mind is more of a slot guy, and role player. The position here is worse off than last year, especially since our biggest redzone threat is now gone, Jimmy Graham.

    On defense we lost our best defensive tackles, and top pass rusher, we lost Chancellor, Thomas is sitting out, Sherman was cut. Our corners consist of Griffin, whom i am not worried about and Maxwell. The thought of Maxwell without a safety of Thomas's caliber shading him is a pretty awful thought. We have no known pass rusher aside from Frank Clark. The only real improvement that has been made here was to the linebacking core (i'm drinking the griffin koolaid).

    Objectively we are worse off than last year. The only two positions where have made some real strides are LB, and RB. The O-Line will also be better, but not by a large margin. This is a team that is reloading, I have no idea where the enthusiasm is coming from.
    Spin Doctor
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2539
    Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:31 am


  • Spin Doctor wrote:Can you give any solid reason why Seattle will be good this year besides "im a hawk fan"? I think they will be better than most people are predicting, but I do not know where this "Superbowl" talk is coming from. If you're a pundit, WHAT gives you any sort of indication that this team will be above average? The answer is nothing.


    The answer for you is "nothing"; not for others of us.

    #1 - With a quality QB, a team always has a chance. RW is top-tier, and clutch. He'll always give us a chance, as we saw this last year, even with a highly imbalanced offense due to an inept running game. When the running game is better this next year, Russ will also be a greater threat to run as well.

    #2 - If everyone's complaints about Bevell were true, then there's no way Schotty will be worse. He is an upgrade just because he's not Bevell, right? After all, that was the argument made by so many for far too long. Otherwise, we can say the O is undetermined, but there are reasons for optimism.

    #3 - You're simply wrong about the O-line not improving quickly under a different coach. Again, if Cable was as bad as everyone was saying (including DBrown declining immediately on relocating here in Seattle under Cable), Solari will indeed provide improvement to the line. It will be noticeable this coming year.

    #4 - RBs as a whole have more potential and real past production than last year's group; and yes, I would count college as production. The line will look better, and the RBs will help them look better, too.

    #5 - New energy from hungry rookies provides an upgrade over complacent, well-paid vets. There's a reason so many of the latter are now gone. And while we may have had a once-in-a-generation squad in the LoB, Pete's ability to coach up the defense hasn't ended, nor has his system. New players will buy in and we'll just see how well the system works with others plugged in.

    #6 - The WR core with Baldwin, Brown, Lockett, Marshall, Darboh, Stringfellow, etc, provide RW good enough options to move the chains, especially with a decent running game this year. The targets will simply be different.

    #7 - How has the kicking game not upgraded with Walsh gone? That aspect of the game kept us from at least one win, if not two (or potentially 3 including the Falcons game) last season.

    #8 - As you noted, the upgraded LB position will be a strength this year.

    #9 - Injuries were a tough break in 2017-2018. It will always be a wild-card, but good health is just as possible as injuries. Why not believe last year won't be repeated?

    Reasons for optimism? There are a number of indications available even without Hawk-colored glasses. They aren't over-the-top, either.
    ____________
    BLUE and GREEN...
    User avatar
    Ad Hawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1816
    Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:25 am


  • #10 - let me add the Tight End position with Dissly will have the ability to block this year, too. That will increase RZ running production, countering I'm Jimmy's loss. That's an upgrade, since this team wants to run the ball.
    ____________
    BLUE and GREEN...
    User avatar
    Ad Hawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1816
    Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:25 am


  • Ad Hawk wrote:#10 - let me add the Tight End position with Dissly will have the ability to block this year, too. That will increase RZ running production, countering I'm Jimmy's loss. That's an upgrade, since this team wants to run the ball.


    Dissly's a better blocker (obviously), but he's not replacing 10 TD's...............and might need a year or two to become a complete TE.

    That's the problem with most of our roster now, there are question marks at every position except LB and QB. Doesn't mean the draft picks and unproven players can't step up and play well, but we don't know. We............just............don't.............know.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 13087
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Ad Hawk wrote:#10 - let me add the Tight End position with Dissly will have the ability to block this year, too. That will increase RZ running production, countering I'm Jimmy's loss. That's an upgrade, since this team wants to run the ball.


    Dissly's a better blocker (obviously), but he's not replacing 10 TD's...............and might need a year or two to become a complete TE.

    That's the problem with most of our roster now, there are question marks at every position except LB and QB. Doesn't mean the draft picks and unproven players can't step up and play well, but we don't know. We............just............don't.............know.


    He doesn't need to catch 10 TD's if running backs can actually score touchdowns this year. I believe I saw a stat that the 1 RB touchdown we got last year was the worst of all time, or at least tied. Jimmy is a terrific RZ match up nightmare and it took 3 seasons to use it, other teams score plenty of touchdowns with a competent running game and effective play action in close. Schotty loves RB's/TE's catching in the backfield from misdirection, defenses actually thinking a running back could score leads to wide open dump off TD's.

    Rest of the roster, we will see. I am excited to watch pre-season games for the first time in a couple seasons, should be some good battles for starting spots. I'm in the camp that feels Pete will get the LOB revamped quickly given his coaching ability, scheme, and the athletic profiles on the roster.
    Last edited by mistaowen on Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
    User avatar
    mistaowen
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4055
    Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:54 pm


  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Ad Hawk wrote:#10 - let me add the Tight End position with Dissly will have the ability to block this year, too. That will increase RZ running production, countering I'm Jimmy's loss. That's an upgrade, since this team wants to run the ball.


    Dissly's a better blocker (obviously), but he's not replacing 10 TD's...............and might need a year or two to become a complete TE.

    That's the problem with most of our roster now, there are question marks at every position except LB and QB. Doesn't mean the draft picks and unproven players can't step up and play well, but we don't know. We............just............don't.............know.


    Not directly but he can help! Last year we had 1 rushing TD from RB's IIRC. In 2005 Alexander himself had 27! If Dissly's run blocking can help us get back to norm, plus any passing contributions, that combination could more than makeup for Graham IMO because we now are not 1 dimensional any longer in the RZ and other things will begin to open up. :2thumbs:
    User avatar
    Seymour
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5107
    Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:41 pm


  • Seymour wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Ad Hawk wrote:#10 - let me add the Tight End position with Dissly will have the ability to block this year, too. That will increase RZ running production, countering I'm Jimmy's loss. That's an upgrade, since this team wants to run the ball.


    Dissly's a better blocker (obviously), but he's not replacing 10 TD's...............and might need a year or two to become a complete TE.

    That's the problem with most of our roster now, there are question marks at every position except LB and QB. Doesn't mean the draft picks and unproven players can't step up and play well, but we don't know. We............just............don't.............know.


    Not directly but he can help! Last year we had 1 rushing TD from RB's IIRC. In 2005 Alexander himself had 27! If Dissly's run blocking can help us get back to norm, plus any passing contributions, that combination could more than makeup for Graham IMO because we now are not 1 dimensional any longer in the RZ and other things will begin to open up. :2thumbs:


    Yep, I agree, Seymour.

    The balanced attack should be better, considering last year's running game was an NFL low.
    ____________
    BLUE and GREEN...
    User avatar
    Ad Hawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1816
    Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:25 am


  • mistaowen wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Ad Hawk wrote:#10 - let me add the Tight End position with Dissly will have the ability to block this year, too. That will increase RZ running production, countering I'm Jimmy's loss. That's an upgrade, since this team wants to run the ball.


    Dissly's a better blocker (obviously), but he's not replacing 10 TD's...............and might need a year or two to become a complete TE.

    That's the problem with most of our roster now, there are question marks at every position except LB and QB. Doesn't mean the draft picks and unproven players can't step up and play well, but we don't know. We............just............don't.............know.


    He doesn't need to catch 10 TD's if running backs can actually score touchdowns this year. I believe I saw a stat that the 1 RB touchdown we got last year was the worst of all time, or at least tied. Jimmy is a terrific RZ match up nightmare and it took 3 seasons to use it, other teams score plenty of touchdowns with a competent running game and effective play action in close. Schotty loves RB's/TE's catching in the backfield from misdirection, defenses actually thinking a running back could score leads to wide open dump off TD's.

    Rest of the roster, we will see. I am excited to watch pre-season games for the first time in a couple seasons, should be some good battles for starting spots. I'm in the camp that feels Pete will get the LOB revamped quickly given his coaching ability, scheme, and the athletic profiles on the roster.


    Well said concerning the running game/play action combination. I also agree with Pete's ability to get the D back up to speed, even with players not name Sherm, Kam, and Thomas (though I absolutely understand the inability to simply replace exactly their skill--both athletic and brains).
    ____________
    BLUE and GREEN...
    User avatar
    Ad Hawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1816
    Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:25 am


  • Seymour wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Ad Hawk wrote:#10 - let me add the Tight End position with Dissly will have the ability to block this year, too. That will increase RZ running production, countering I'm Jimmy's loss. That's an upgrade, since this team wants to run the ball.


    Dissly's a better blocker (obviously), but he's not replacing 10 TD's...............and might need a year or two to become a complete TE.

    That's the problem with most of our roster now, there are question marks at every position except LB and QB. Doesn't mean the draft picks and unproven players can't step up and play well, but we don't know. We............just............don't.............know.


    Not directly but he can help! Last year we had 1 rushing TD from RB's IIRC. In 2005 Alexander himself had 27! If Dissly's run blocking can help us get back to norm, plus any passing contributions, that combination could more than makeup for Graham IMO because we now are not 1 dimensional any longer in the RZ and other things will begin to open up. :2thumbs:


    But we are one dimensional at the TE position, just the other way around now.

    Dissly caught 3 TD's his entire college career. Or are you counting on Ed Dickson to not have to go into a nursing home before the season begins.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 13087
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Seymour wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Ad Hawk wrote:#10 - let me add the Tight End position with Dissly will have the ability to block this year, too. That will increase RZ running production, countering I'm Jimmy's loss. That's an upgrade, since this team wants to run the ball.


    Dissly's a better blocker (obviously), but he's not replacing 10 TD's...............and might need a year or two to become a complete TE.

    That's the problem with most of our roster now, there are question marks at every position except LB and QB. Doesn't mean the draft picks and unproven players can't step up and play well, but we don't know. We............just............don't.............know.


    Not directly but he can help! Last year we had 1 rushing TD from RB's IIRC. In 2005 Alexander himself had 27! If Dissly's run blocking can help us get back to norm, plus any passing contributions, that combination could more than makeup for Graham IMO because we now are not 1 dimensional any longer in the RZ and other things will begin to open up. :2thumbs:


    But we are one dimensional at the TE position, just the other way around now.

    Dissly caught 3 TD's his entire college career. Or are you counting on Ed Dickson to not have to go into a nursing home before the season begins.


    Nope...Russell doesn't think so. Heard a recent interview, and he thinks Vannett will step up, and Swoops showed promise IMO. I think we could be better than many think there....but I was mostly addressing the 10 TD's that people worry about missing.
    With Graham last year we were ZERO dimensional between the 20's.
    User avatar
    Seymour
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5107
    Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:41 pm


  • Seymour wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Seymour wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Dissly's a better blocker (obviously), but he's not replacing 10 TD's...............and might need a year or two to become a complete TE.

    That's the problem with most of our roster now, there are question marks at every position except LB and QB. Doesn't mean the draft picks and unproven players can't step up and play well, but we don't know. We............just............don't.............know.


    Not directly but he can help! Last year we had 1 rushing TD from RB's IIRC. In 2005 Alexander himself had 27! If Dissly's run blocking can help us get back to norm, plus any passing contributions, that combination could more than makeup for Graham IMO because we now are not 1 dimensional any longer in the RZ and other things will begin to open up. :2thumbs:


    But we are one dimensional at the TE position, just the other way around now.

    Dissly caught 3 TD's his entire college career. Or are you counting on Ed Dickson to not have to go into a nursing home before the season begins.


    Nope...Russell doesn't think so. Heard a recent interview, and he thinks Vannett will step up, and Swoops showed promise IMO. I think we could be better than many think there....but I was mostly addressing the 10 TD's that people worry about missing.


    Wait, Russell's optimistic? LOL, shocker!

    I hope you're right, but my original comment stands. No one knows how any of these guys will pan out, none of them are proven commodities beyond Dickson, and he's just your run of the mill 2nd or 3rd string TE.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 13087
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


  • McKissic scored our lone RB TD on a pass play last year from like the 20 if I remember correctly.
    Image

    To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    User avatar
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 24446
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Seymour wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Seymour wrote:
    Not directly but he can help! Last year we had 1 rushing TD from RB's IIRC. In 2005 Alexander himself had 27! If Dissly's run blocking can help us get back to norm, plus any passing contributions, that combination could more than makeup for Graham IMO because we now are not 1 dimensional any longer in the RZ and other things will begin to open up. :2thumbs:


    But we are one dimensional at the TE position, just the other way around now.

    Dissly caught 3 TD's his entire college career. Or are you counting on Ed Dickson to not have to go into a nursing home before the season begins.


    Nope...Russell doesn't think so. Heard a recent interview, and he thinks Vannett will step up, and Swoops showed promise IMO. I think we could be better than many think there....but I was mostly addressing the 10 TD's that people worry about missing.


    Wait, Russell's optimistic? LOL, shocker!

    I hope you're right, but my original comment stands. No one knows how any of these guys will pan out, none of them are proven commodities beyond Dickson, and he's just your run of the mill 2nd or 3rd string TE.


    That is why uncle Paul is buying this site so we can continue to figure that out for Pete. :2thumbs: 8)
    User avatar
    Seymour
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5107
    Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:41 pm


  • Seymour wrote:
    jlwaters1 wrote:It's amazing how perceptions change based on a few plays. Heck we were literally 1 kick (field goal) away from a 10 win season last year. How, do you suppose the perception from the national media would be if we only made that 1 kick?.......


    Little to none because of this shit show at home.



    Nonsense, blowouts are an outlier for this team. They have happened so rarely that you can count the times they've occurred on 1 hand with fingers to spare in the Russell Wilson era. Only an ignoramus would judge the entire season off 1 bad game. Even games where Seattle loses by 9 or more points are a rare.

    Note- I define blowouts are losses of 17 or more points.

    Blowouts (17 or more point losses)

    2016- Week 14 @GB- 28 Pts
    2017- Week 15 LAR- 35 Pts

    Decisive defeats (9 or more points- 2 scores)

    2014- Week 2 @ SD- 9 Pts (first in RW's career, would have been just 6 points but we were cute and gave them a FG with no time to spare.

    2015- Week 2 @ GB- 10 pts
    2016- Week 12 Bucs- 11 Pts
    2016- DIV RND- @ATL- 16 Pts. - To be fair this felt more like a blowout despite the final score.

    So in 6 years We've had 2 "blowouts" and 6 total losses decided by more than 8 points, I'd be willing to bet that's the best in the league over that time period.

    With 2016 having half of those loses.
    jlwaters1
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2754
    Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:48 pm


  • In January of 2020, the Seahawks will return the the Super Bowl. They will finally strike that balance between a great offense, and a bend but don't break defense needed to win. Defense is not where the money needs to go in the game of today. It was simply a confluence of youth, talent and low salary that allowed them to win the first one. With that said, they should have had a three-peat, but they decided to pay Lynch and Wilson instead of using them until the last minute and signing Wilson to a big contract, and telling Marshawn to take a hike. The O line, and the D line should have been where the money was spent. After a 3 year run of dominance, who would care if they slacked off and had to rebuild?
    jeremiah
    NET Practice Squad
     
    Posts: 91
    Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:10 pm


  • Ad Hawk wrote:
    Spin Doctor wrote:Can you give any solid reason why Seattle will be good this year besides "im a hawk fan"? I think they will be better than most people are predicting, but I do not know where this "Superbowl" talk is coming from. If you're a pundit, WHAT gives you any sort of indication that this team will be above average? The answer is nothing.


    The answer for you is "nothing"; not for others of us.

    #1 - With a quality QB, a team always has a chance. RW is top-tier, and clutch. He'll always give us a chance, as we saw this last year, even with a highly imbalanced offense due to an inept running game. When the running game is better this next year, Russ will also be a greater threat to run as well.

    #2 - If everyone's complaints about Bevell were true, then there's no way Schotty will be worse. He is an upgrade just because he's not Bevell, right? After all, that was the argument made by so many for far too long. Otherwise, we can say the O is undetermined, but there are reasons for optimism.

    #3 - You're simply wrong about the O-line not improving quickly under a different coach. Again, if Cable was as bad as everyone was saying (including DBrown declining immediately on relocating here in Seattle under Cable), Solari will indeed provide improvement to the line. It will be noticeable this coming year.

    #4 - RBs as a whole have more potential and real past production than last year's group; and yes, I would count college as production. The line will look better, and the RBs will help them look better, too.

    #5 - New energy from hungry rookies provides an upgrade over complacent, well-paid vets. There's a reason so many of the latter are now gone. And while we may have had a once-in-a-generation squad in the LoB, Pete's ability to coach up the defense hasn't ended, nor has his system. New players will buy in and we'll just see how well the system works with others plugged in.

    #6 - The WR core with Baldwin, Brown, Lockett, Marshall, Darboh, Stringfellow, etc, provide RW good enough options to move the chains, especially with a decent running game this year. The targets will simply be different.

    #7 - How has the kicking game not upgraded with Walsh gone? That aspect of the game kept us from at least one win, if not two (or potentially 3 including the Falcons game) last season.

    #8 - As you noted, the upgraded LB position will be a strength this year.

    #9 - Injuries were a tough break in 2017-2018. It will always be a wild-card, but good health is just as possible as injuries. Why not believe last year won't be repeated?

    Reasons for optimism? There are a number of indications available even without Hawk-colored glasses. They aren't over-the-top, either.

    1. History has also shown that one guy can't do it alone. It is a tough battle to get to the SuperBowl, and when weather conditions get worse a good defense, and running game become important. A QB can put us into the playoffs, sure, but you surely won't be going all the way without some kind of support. Objectively we're relying on a bunch of unproven players, and has-beens. Can we make it to the playoffs? Absolutely, Superbowl? Unlikely.


    2. Bevell was a bad OC, but Schottenheimer isn't any better. He has been re-treaded for the fourth time. I think he does offer some advantages over Bevell, mainly he runs a much tighter ship. That being said he is practically the same dude, and he possesses many of the same flaws. If you're banking on him to magically become an above average OC I think you're putting your hopes in the wrong places. Wilson may make his stats look better ala' Bevell, but I suspect most fans will have the same exact gripes, and rightfully so. Another negative is the complexity of his offense, and how crazy his naming conventions are. This is not an offense that will come running out of the gates even if he has learned a thing or two.

    3. They will improve, I don't think it will be the magical improvement most are hoping for. Slightly better is what they will be. Some of these offensive lineman could be just bad picks overall that are unteachable. Brown is also at the age where LTs start declining. Overall we have a line that is filled with unknowns, or proven failures. Until they show me otherwise I'm not going to count them as magically being better. A good coach can change things, but sometimes, and much of the time drastic change takes more than one year.

    4. College production? That is non-sense. The NFL is completely different than the college game. You can't say a player is going to be good in the NFL because he produced in college. How many times have we been proven wrong on this matter? Particularly at the RB position. By this logic Trent Richardson, Lawrence Phillips, Beanie Wells, William Green, and Dayne should have been some of the best backs the NFL has ever seen. You cannot say a player is "proven" because of college statistics. You know better than that. Will our RB position be better? Probably, how much better? Hard to say. Not much info on any of them besides McKissic. Penny could be a bust for all we know, will I think he bust?Not really, but on the same token I can't say that he will light the league on fire either.

    5. This sounds nice, but there is no substance here. Even when the Seahawks first burst onto the scene and jettisoned the old guard, we still had a couple of years before we were truly could start thinking about the Super Bowl. We got rid of a lot of talent, and we're replacing much of that talent with young dudes who haven't proven little to anything in the NFL. What is even worse is the Seahawks drafting record over the last few years. Not anything to be excited about. We've had trouble acquiring new talent, which was one of the major reasons why we were in the state that we were in 2017. Will we have some break out players? Maybe, but you can't count on it, and you certainly can't count on the legendary 2012 class to come again.

    6. Doug Baldwin is our only proven receiver. Marshall could have a late career revival, it certainly has happened before. What I'm saying is, don't count on it. More often than not situations like this turn sour. This is a coin flip here, I personally think that he is going to be a situational/utility player. I think he can at least be a redzone threat of sorts. If Marshall can't rekindle his flame we really have nobody that is a proven threat on the outside. Lockett is mostly a slot guy, and Darboh only saw the field a few times last year. We know practically nothing about the guy.

    7. Did I not mention the kicking game? I think it'll be improved, certainly.

    8. Agree

    9. Injuries were a big one, for sure. Unfortunately we kicked some of our major talent to the curb for good reasons I think. Hard to say how this new unit will function given what I've mentioned before. A bunch of old vets, and young players. I think this needed to happen, but I am very much looking at this like the 2010-2011 years. I think some of that young talent needs to develop before we get to a Super Bowl. We could get lucky, and everything can work out in our favor, it has happened before. What I am saying is that we have so many variables, and so many events that need to come together, what we really would need is a perfect storm of sorts. I think this year is a reset for Carroll. I think in 2019 we could be a team to be reckoned with if a few players, and key signings go our way -- even with how poorly I think of Schottenheimer.
    Spin Doctor
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2539
    Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:31 am


  • Spin Doctor wrote:
    Ad Hawk wrote:
    Spin Doctor wrote:Can you give any solid reason why Seattle will be good this year besides "im a hawk fan"? I think they will be better than most people are predicting, but I do not know where this "Superbowl" talk is coming from. If you're a pundit, WHAT gives you any sort of indication that this team will be above average? The answer is nothing.


    The answer for you is "nothing"; not for others of us.

    #1 - With a quality QB, a team always has a chance. RW is top-tier, and clutch. He'll always give us a chance, as we saw this last year, even with a highly imbalanced offense due to an inept running game. When the running game is better this next year, Russ will also be a greater threat to run as well.

    #2 - If everyone's complaints about Bevell were true, then there's no way Schotty will be worse. He is an upgrade just because he's not Bevell, right? After all, that was the argument made by so many for far too long. Otherwise, we can say the O is undetermined, but there are reasons for optimism.

    #3 - You're simply wrong about the O-line not improving quickly under a different coach. Again, if Cable was as bad as everyone was saying (including DBrown declining immediately on relocating here in Seattle under Cable), Solari will indeed provide improvement to the line. It will be noticeable this coming year.

    #4 - RBs as a whole have more potential and real past production than last year's group; and yes, I would count college as production. The line will look better, and the RBs will help them look better, too.

    #5 - New energy from hungry rookies provides an upgrade over complacent, well-paid vets. There's a reason so many of the latter are now gone. And while we may have had a once-in-a-generation squad in the LoB, Pete's ability to coach up the defense hasn't ended, nor has his system. New players will buy in and we'll just see how well the system works with others plugged in.

    #6 - The WR core with Baldwin, Brown, Lockett, Marshall, Darboh, Stringfellow, etc, provide RW good enough options to move the chains, especially with a decent running game this year. The targets will simply be different.

    #7 - How has the kicking game not upgraded with Walsh gone? That aspect of the game kept us from at least one win, if not two (or potentially 3 including the Falcons game) last season.

    #8 - As you noted, the upgraded LB position will be a strength this year.

    #9 - Injuries were a tough break in 2017-2018. It will always be a wild-card, but good health is just as possible as injuries. Why not believe last year won't be repeated?

    Reasons for optimism? There are a number of indications available even without Hawk-colored glasses. They aren't over-the-top, either.

    1. History has also shown that one guy can't do it alone. It is a tough battle to get to the SuperBowl, and when weather conditions get worse a good defense, and running game become important. A QB can put us into the playoffs, sure, but you surely won't be going all the way without some kind of support. Objectively we're relying on a bunch of unproven players, and has-beens. Can we make it to the playoffs? Absolutely, Superbowl? Unlikely.


    2. Bevell was a bad OC, but Schottenheimer isn't any better. He has been re-treaded for the fourth time. I think he does offer some advantages over Bevell, mainly he runs a much tighter ship. That being said he is practically the same dude, and he possesses many of the same flaws. If you're banking on him to magically become an above average OC I think you're putting your hopes in the wrong places. Wilson may make his stats look better ala' Bevell, but I suspect most fans will have the same exact gripes, and rightfully so. Another negative is the complexity of his offense, and how crazy his naming conventions are. This is not an offense that will come running out of the gates even if he has learned a thing or two.

    3. They will improve, I don't think it will be the magical improvement most are hoping for. Slightly better is what they will be. Some of these offensive lineman could be just bad picks overall that are unteachable. Brown is also at the age where LTs start declining. Overall we have a line that is filled with unknowns, or proven failures. Until they show me otherwise I'm not going to count them as magically being better. A good coach can change things, but sometimes, and much of the time drastic change takes more than one year.

    4. College production? That is non-sense. The NFL is completely different than the college game. You can't say a player is going to be good in the NFL because he produced in college. How many times have we been proven wrong on this matter? Particularly at the RB position. By this logic Trent Richardson, Lawrence Phillips, Beanie Wells, William Green, and Dayne should have been some of the best backs the NFL has ever seen. You cannot say a player is "proven" because of college statistics. You know better than that. Will our RB position be better? Probably, how much better? Hard to say. Not much info on any of them besides McKissic. Penny could be a bust for all we know, will I think he bust?Not really, but on the same token I can't say that he will light the league on fire either.

    5. This sounds nice, but there is no substance here. Even when the Seahawks first burst onto the scene and jettisoned the old guard, we still had a couple of years before we were truly could start thinking about the Super Bowl. We got rid of a lot of talent, and we're replacing much of that talent with young dudes who haven't proven little to anything in the NFL. What is even worse is the Seahawks drafting record over the last few years. Not anything to be excited about. We've had trouble acquiring new talent, which was one of the major reasons why we were in the state that we were in 2017. Will we have some break out players? Maybe, but you can't count on it, and you certainly can't count on the legendary 2012 class to come again.

    6. Doug Baldwin is our only proven receiver. Marshall could have a late career revival, it certainly has happened before. What I'm saying is, don't count on it. More often than not situations like this turn sour. This is a coin flip here, I personally think that he is going to be a situational/utility player. I think he can at least be a redzone threat of sorts. If Marshall can't rekindle his flame we really have nobody that is a proven threat on the outside. Lockett is mostly a slot guy, and Darboh only saw the field a few times last year. We know practically nothing about the guy.

    7. Did I not mention the kicking game? I think it'll be improved, certainly.

    8. Agree

    9. Injuries were a big one, for sure. Unfortunately we kicked some of our major talent to the curb for good reasons I think. Hard to say how this new unit will function given what I've mentioned before. A bunch of old vets, and young players. I think this needed to happen, but I am very much looking at this like the 2010-2011 years. I think some of that young talent needs to develop before we get to a Super Bowl. We could get lucky, and everything can work out in our favor, it has happened before. What I am saying is that we have so many variables, and so many events that need to come together, what we really would need is a perfect storm of sorts. I think this year is a reset for Carroll. I think in 2019 we could be a team to be reckoned with if a few players, and key signings go our way -- even with how poorly I think of Schottenheimer.


    So without one play run you already want to start fire Schottenhiemer threads then. Thats a positive outlook without seeing anything, can't wait till the first hick up :P
    Image

    To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    User avatar
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 24446
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


  • If Schotty doesn't work out, the only ones to blame are Pete and John IMO.
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2954
    Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:22 pm
    Location: Portland, OR


  • Look at the Pats drought. It takes a bit of everything and some good luck.

    The Hawks were almost unwatchable last season. I expect things will be better.

    I don't know if they are playoff contenders but I expect with the changes the team will get some first downs in the first half. Knowing Carroll these young guys won't give up so they should be fun to watch again. If all else Michael Dickson will be entertaining.
    Thomas Paine: To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead
    User avatar
    Seafan
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5807
    Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:30 pm
    Location: Helotes, TX


  • 5+ years, sadly.

    Not sold on the OC nor should anyone else be until games have been played. Guy has done nothing in the NFL up to this point but now he's going to magically fix it all?

    I mean I guess we can hope for that.

    I'm happier that the team is almost entirely rid of cancer that has overshadowed this team for the past few years.

    Incredibly poor drafting and contract decisions don't help either though. I'm glad they are being proactive with Earl.

    I don't see anything better than 3-3 in the division and probably 8-8, 9-7 maybe overall.
    Image
    [b] Russell Wilson isn't the problem, the coaching staff IS.
    User avatar
    NFSeahawks628
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4272
    Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:33 pm
    Location: Born: Tacoma, WA Current Location: Tally, Seminole Country (Road Hawk)


  • The 2018 team better show lots of potential and promises, or Pete'll be in very hot seat. The critical areas would be:

    DB:, lots of roaster turnover here. Newcomers and youngster better show some promise or Pete will be widely criticized for letter Earl and Sherm go.

    DL: same as DBs,

    OL: Pete took a huge chance here for not 'addressing' the OL, signing only Fluker and drafted a rather 'slow' dude. I actually like the way Pete fix the OL, but if that plan doesn't work ..... it's all on Pete.

    Running game: Pete put lots and lots of eggs in this one.

    Coaching: New OC and DC better show some creative play calling.

    If all of the above failed, we may not see Pete around.

    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    ++ You can call me a homer, but I am not the only one ++
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    toffee
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 846
    Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:44 pm


  • Yeah and you better turn that boat around or your going to go right over the edge of the earth, it's flat you know. :twisted:

    Most of those questions have already had a answer, he brought in D line guys that will play full time, he had DB's drafted that will get real shots and McDougald and Maxwell already showed good stuff last year, The O line and Offense can't be worse then last year only way is up.
    Image

    To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    User avatar
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 24446
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


Previous


It is currently Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:31 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]




Information