Quick assessment by unit

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
The national pundits are barely giving the Seahawks a second thought. Many of our own fan base looks at this as a rebuilding year while others seemingly have already written off the 2018 season. Some of the main cogs of the last 5 years have been jettisoned. Subtraction by addition some argue. Here is my quick assessment of each unit with a bit of analysis. I am grading thusly:

+....unit improved from 2017
-.....unit declined from 2017
=....unit remains same from 2017

QB.....=
RW is coming off a year where he was the offense. With a little help from other units he could be better by doing less.

RB.....+
Penny/Carson should provide an actual run threat

WR....+
Even though we lost Richardson I give this a plus. I thought about an = but I think it’s slightly better. Tyler Lockett has his injury return year in the past. I look for him to be much better than last year. Brandon Marshal brings some big play potential.

TE.....-
The loss of Jimmy may or may not be felt. Much of that impact will be determined by the new OC. The talent loss is a minus but the utilization factor might be a plus.

OL....+
Guys practicing, learning and playing one position will help. DJ Fluker will help. Experience will help. Unlike every other year of the past 5-7, there is at least some experience at every position. Ethan Pocic being the least experienced of all. Mike Solari is the anti cable and his presence alone brings the +

DL.....-
I give it a - mainly because of the number of guys lost....50% of the starters. The roster as it sits shows this position to be one of potential. Potentially explosive or potentially in need of impact players.

LB.....+
2/3 of the starters remain and make this unit one of the best in the league. The acquisitions made in the offseason give that last available position the opportunity to make it a better unit than in 2017.

DB....-/+
I had to give this unit 2 grades. One for the unit that started the year and one for the unit that ended the year. A -for whoever replaces the LOB but a + for the unit that ended the year. Whoever the starters are at the start of 2018, they ought to be better than the unit that ended 2017.

ST.....+
No Walsh means a definite +

COACHING...+
No Bevell, no Cable. That’s a definite improvement.

Overall score:
+.....7
=.....1

Only 10 units scored but DBs “earned” 2 grades.

What does all this mean? We won’t know for sure until the games are played, but I’m looking at a generally improved team. At least on paper.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
Thanks for this, oldhawkfan. You have begun to zero in on reasons to be excited about the team this year, and beyond.

Seymour

Reaction score
Nice work on the breakdown! Clearly there is debate on many grades, but it is a good starting point for discussion and is solid footing to having some cautious optimism. :2thumbs:

Hawk1217

Reaction score
I think the biggest question that needs answering is the Offense. Will they play conservative, to not make mistakes, to not win in the 1-2-3rd, and wait till the 4th like last year, as PC has preached. Or will they come out to win from the beginning. Will they try to run at all cost, or let Wilson do what he does. Lots of questions, I think the defense will get better as the season goes on, and by mid-season will be fine. However the offense is the question, will they run a system for the players or make the players run a system. Lots of questions we will see.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Nice post OHF

Like others until we see the various units on the field it's really hard to score them except by guess. my sense is similar to your scores. My suspicion is the DLine will be better than many think the CBs slightly worse than the LOB but adequate and the TEs just better b/c they will actually you know block.

Best still I genuinely believe the team could have a solid run game to go with an improved OLine, and Wilson will still be special and at times truly exceptional. I like the depth a t WR and believe there will be good sold and bigger core here for next season.

NJlargent

Reaction score
The best reason for optimism is that we got rid of some coaches and Penny. He has a chance to be a stud. My concern is the OL is awful outside LT. Hopefully new coaching blood can make these guys serviceable. However, on paper I cannot see Penny or Carson being effective behind this OL. Games are won on the OL and DL.

On defense we lost Sherman, Bennett and potentially Thomas (mentally). It is a difficult to think we upgraded based upon some young players that are still unproven.

All in all, regardless of our record, the coaches needed to go and we needed some fresh energy. We have taken a step in the right direction with a great QB and some young potential. I am interested to see what Carroll does with this new wave of players and personnel.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Good stuff and I agree...A lot to be optimistic about regardless of what the mindless media drones think.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
oldhawkfan":3miv91e5 said:
The national pundits are barely giving the Seahawks a second thought. Many of our own fan base looks at this as a rebuilding year while others seemingly have already written off the 2018 season. Some of the main cogs of the last 5 years have been jettisoned. Subtraction by addition some argue. Here is my quick assessment of each unit with a bit of analysis. I am grading thusly:

QB.....=
RW is coming off a year where he was the offense. With a little help from other units he could be better by doing less.

RB.....+

WR....+
Even though we lost Richardson I give this a plus. I thought about an = but I think it’s slightly better. Tyler Lockett has his injury return year in the past. I look for him to be much better than last year. Brandon Marshal brings some big play potential.

TE.....-
The loss of Jimmy may or may not be felt. Much of that impact will be determined by the new OC. The talent loss is a minus but the utilization factor might be a plus.

OL....+
Guys practicing, learning and playing one position will help. DJ Fluker will help. Experience will help. Unlike every other year of the past 5-7, there is at least some experience at every position. Ethan Pocic being the least experienced of all. Mike Solari is the anti cable and his presence alone brings the +

DL.....-
I give it a - mainly because of the number of guys lost....50% of the starters. The roster as it sits shows this position to be one of potential. Potentially explosive or potentially in need of impact players.

LB.....+
2/3 of the starters remain and make this unit one of the best in the league. The acquisitions made in the offseason give that last available position the opportunity to make it a better unit than in 2017.

DB....-/+
I had to give this unit 2 grades. One for the unit that started the year and one for the unit that ended the year. A -for whoever replaces the LOB but a + for the unit that ended the year. Whoever the starters are at the start of 2018, they ought to be better than the unit that ended 2017.

ST.....+

COACHING...+

Overall score:
+.....7
=.....1

What does all this mean? We won’t know for sure until the games are played, but I’m looking at a generally improved team. At least on paper.
I disagree with you on a few of these things

1. WR -- our unit is notably worse this year. We have Baldwin, a special team ace and a receiver that is just about ready for his AARP card. Lockett has looked very sluggish, and he can't seem to stay healthy. Brandon Marshall could be a good role player. The only way this unit does anything is if somebody can replace the production of Richardson. Marshall could be a sleeper -- don't think much of Lockett as a receiver. He was not that great last year.

2. Coaching. Solari is an improvement, but both Richards, and Bevell have better track-records than Schottenheimer and Ken Norton Jr. at DC and OC. I think Ken Norton is only hear to be the enforcer, I heard Carroll was going to be calling plays this year anyways.

3. DB, no Thomas, no Chancellor, no Sherman. The starting unit was objectively better than this years starting unit. Even if we're grading it by "end of the year" we still had Thomas. Now, he could still comeback, but right now things aren't looking good on this front. If he does comeback it is pretty much the same as the unit we ended last year with.

Everything else I agree with.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
Oh for ----- sake. Lockett isn't injury prone, he got his leg broken. He's healed now, so it's all good. He's better than last year.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
I dont even think Marshall makes the team to be honest. With the addition of Jaron Brown though, I think the WR squad is pretty much a push. The loss of Richardson hurts but Tyler should be healthy and better.

DB's,,,,,no way will this years squad be better.

Own The West

Reaction score
I don't even care who the 3rd receiver is. I'm hoping to see a lot of 22 personnel this year.

If we can be a Ground Chuck-type offense and posses the ball for 35-40 mins a game, it will make the defense better and Baldwin and Lockett will be open all day.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Own The West":117ugxu4 said:
I don't even care who the 3rd receiver is. I'm hoping to see a lot of 22 personnel this year.

If we can be a Ground Chuck-type offense and posses the ball for 35-40 mins a game, it will make the defense better and Baldwin and Lockett will be open all day.

Thats the big question with this team. Will we be able to run the ball? If we cant, its going to be a long, long season.

olyfan63

Reaction score
TE unit should be a + as we will have 3 tight ends who can block.
We won't have to rely on jump balls to Jimmy G to score in the red zone.
Maybe Tanner McEvoy took notes and can give us some of Jimmy G's jump ball TD's. IF McEvoy makes the team.

JG the WR wasn't much of a TE for Seattle's attempted offensive scheme.

OP
OP
oldhawkfan

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":3dtsjopj said:
oldhawkfan":3dtsjopj said:

QB.....=

RB.....+

WR....+

TE.....-

OL....+

DL.....-

LB.....+

DB....-/+

ST.....+

COACHING...+

Overall score:
+.....7
=.....1

I disagree with you on a few of these things

1. WR -- our unit is notably worse this year. We have Baldwin, a special team ace and a receiver that is just about ready for his AARP card. Lockett has looked very sluggish, and he can't seem to stay healthy. Brandon Marshall could be a good role player. The only way this unit does anything is if somebody can replace the production of Richardson. Marshall could be a sleeper -- don't think much of Lockett as a receiver. He was not that great last year.

2. Coaching. Solari is an improvement, but both Richards, and Bevell have better track-records than Schottenheimer and Ken Norton Jr. at DC and OC. I think Ken Norton is only hear to be the enforcer, I heard Carroll was going to be calling plays this year anyways.

3. DB, no Thomas, no Chancellor, no Sherman. The starting unit was objectively better than this years starting unit. Even if we're grading it by "end of the year" we still had Thomas. Now, he could still comeback, but right now things aren't looking good on this front. If he does comeback it is pretty much the same as the unit we ended last year with.

Everything else I agree with.

I don’t know that the WR unit is notably worse. The things you say about Lockett are similar to the things said about Richardson his first 2-3 years. 2017 Lockett was not as good as 2016 Lockett. Coming off his injury takes time to get back what he had. I think he’ll be better than what Richardson was last year. That being said, then we just need the guy behind him to be better than 2017 Lockett to make this unit better than 2017.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
Will Dissly is a "load" @ 6'4" and 265. If these TE's can consistently "do their thing"....ie. block and hold onto the ball.....I believe that the "face" of the Hawks can change dramatically.

mistaowen

Reaction score
Nice write up, agree with your points for the most part.

I really hope Thomas shows up, the spine of the defense is still very strong with him out there. I also am hopeful guys like Mingo and Brown can thrive given the opportunity. Brown was limited by poor QB play and still had some explosive games. I have a feeling this team will look hungrier than we've seen the past couple seasons, even if there are some learning pains early on.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
The biggest wildcard for me in the run game (other than a Solari-guided shift to a power blocking scheme) is the emergence of a stud blocking Fullback.

Will one emerge? I sure have my fingers crossed.

Seymour

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":13qpujob said:
Oh for ----- sake. Lockett isn't injury prone, he got his leg broken. He's healed now, so it's all good. He's better than last year.

I'm gunna agree with Kiwi for a change. 8)

Plus "looking sluggish" after that injury??

PLEASE.....he was coming on more and more the 2nd half of the season and on this play blew buy Peterson who has sub 4.4 speed.
Guess again!

[youtube]vYPmNaWIdK0[/youtube]