Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Seahawks.NET Celebrates 20 Years!

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Seahawks.NET Celebrates 20 Years!
Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:36 pm
  • It's incredibly hard to imagine that it has been two decades since this community was launched. Back then, Seahawks.com was nothing more than a black page with a tiny graphic with a couple links that went basically nowhere at all. It was in fact the very reason I started Seahawks98.com. I wanted the fans to have a voice. It was really that simple.

I remember when I created the first forum I think there was about 10 of us or less. It didn't matter. We were the happiest 10 Seahawks fans on the internet. "Holy **** you mean there are others like me?" It was instantly a hit.

By the time the site was called Seahawks99.com our community was taking off. Over a hundred 12's if I recall. The thirst for Seahawks information was palpable so I decided having a writing staff made a lot of sense. Through the years I was blessed to have many talented 12's writing articles including Doug Farrar, Matt Wolfe, Doug Snazel and others. By 2003 Seahawks.NET was a legitimate presence in the NFL fan forum world. Speaking of, I got tired of having to renew a new domain name every year so in 2000 I discovered Seahawks.net was a available domain name.

Wait, what?!?

How in the world the Seahawks or the NFL did not have that domain taken will always be a mystery to me. Alas, it was mine for the taking. 18 year's later, it remains in the hands of 12's where it belongs.

In the years since, I have had the privilege and the honor to watch true friendships be born on this site. Nothing, and I mean nothing, gives me more satisfaction than thinking about the friendships that have manifested here. People that are unforgettable. Take Les for instance. The impact he had and so many of us is my greatest reward.

This site has always been about COMMUNITY. Even when I moved to that network, my focus was always about keeping the community strong. One of my proudest moments came when I broke free of that oppressive network and went back to being 100% independent and advertisement free. The donations from the community were always enough to keep the lights on.

After a decade or so, I decided to sell the site. Our beloved landlord Mark Olsen (aka RockHawk) took up the challenge. I asked of him one thing. Just keep .NET's community the heart of the site. And he did not disappoint. It's not easy to run a site like this. There's a lot of work that goes into making this the valued community that it remains to this day. Mark overseeing the website, Anguish...ANGUISH! the amount of blood, sweat and tears he has poured into this site to keep the back end running efficiently...The volunteer mod staff...My word the silent heroes!! The Kidhawks the Kitsaps, the countless volunteers who have and continue to make this forum so well ran could never be the great community it remains without their tireless and humble efforts. Never has it been about payment or reward. Always about the mutual love for the Seahawks and the camaraderie of being a fellow 12.

I don't have a clue where this site will be 20 years from now but I want to give my respect to everyone that has made this site what it is and remains to be. The whole point of .NET was to bring 12's together, to have a place online we could all come together and commune over our favorite team.

I never realized the friendships that would blossom. I never thought about the impact this site would have and so many, and for that I am most proud.

20 years. Wow. Here's to another 20.

Go Hawks!

"Shaquem Griffin tells ESPN after he got drafted by Seattle; 'I can't breathe.' That's the only time you'll hear him say he can't do something." - Dan Wetzel via Twitter.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Re: Seahawks.NET Celebrates 20 Years!
Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:33 pm
  • Ricky Watters era line art was a classic .net header
    Amazing and inspiring design throughout the years Aros , not forgotten
    Heyseed
    NET Veteran

Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:16 pm
  • Just think, in another year .net can legally drink. 8)
    Thanks for creating this site Todd. Without you this place doesn’t exist.

Also thanks to Mark, Neal and the mods that put up with the good, bad, and ugly here. If folks knew about all of the behind the scenes work that goes on here to keep this place all spiffy, you’d be impressed.

.... but we are all .net, we may fight like brothers and sisters at times but we all love our team and that’s why we keep coming back here. :)
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:43 pm
  • Sports Hernia wrote:Just think, in another year .net can legally drink. 8)
    Thanks for creating this site Todd. Without you this place doesn’t exist.

Also thanks to Mark, Neal and the mods that put up with the good, bad, and ugly here. If folks knew about all of the behind the scenes work that goes on here to keep this place all spiffy, you’d be impressed.

.... but we are all .net, we may fight like brothers and sisters at times but we all love our team and that’s why we keep coming back here. :)

So your having a birthday party next year and there will be plenty of drink ? Start sending out invitations now so we can start saving for the Bail money thats going to be needed :P

Congradulations Aros, I say this because you had a idea, you made it thru the concept and rough times and created a gem cut from what was at that time a unknown stone, you kept us independent, you fought the law and you won as with the NFL for the Seahawks.Net domain, you gave us a place to talk, vent, celebrate and just flat out bitch at times, in other words be fans !

Thank you Rockhawk for the continued legacy of Aros's dream and idea and keeping it pure and functioning.

Thank You Anguish for being the Scotty of .NET, you held her together thru Hacks and outages :P

As a Former Mod I want to also thank all those I have worked with, it was a honor to be a part of the crew, my delivery may not have been the most PC at times, but then again look at my Sig, it was never going to be. But I always was trying to think about the site and keep personal beliefs out of things when it came to actual Moderation. A lesson from Les I tried to emulate.

Last but not least thanks for every member past present and Banned for making this sight the local hang out for all of us and keeping theings moving thorugh the years, this place is really about everyone that is a contributor and all those guests that may be some day as well.

One think I don't miss is waiting ten minutes to log on though, that 28k connection was a pain in the ass.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:35 am
  • Congratulations and Thanks each and everyone for making this place as awesome as it is. :229031_thewave:
    DesiHawk
    * NET Desi *

Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:13 am
  • Aros wrote:It's incredibly hard to imagine that it has been two decades since this community was launched. Back then, Seahawks.com was nothing more than a black page with a tiny graphic with a couple links that went basically nowhere at all. It was in fact the very reason I started Seahawks98.com. I wanted the fans to have a voice. It was really that simple.

I remember when I created the first forum I think there was about 10 of us or less. It didn't matter. We were the happiest 10 Seahawks fans on the internet. "Holy **** you mean there are others like me?" It was instantly a hit.

By the time the site was called Seahawks99.com our community was taking off. Over a hundred 12's if I recall. The thirst for Seahawks information was palpable so I decided having a writing staff made a lot of sense. Through the years I was blessed to have many talented 12's writing articles including Doug Farrar, Matt Wolfe, Doug Snazel and others. By 2003 Seahawks.NET was a legitimate presence in the NFL fan forum world. Speaking of, I got tired of having to renew a new domain name every year so in 2000 I discovered Seahawks.net was a available domain name.

Wait, what?!?

How in the world the Seahawks or the NFL did not have that domain taken will always be a mystery to me. Alas, it was mine for the taking. 18 year's later, it remains in the hands of 12's where it belongs.

In the years since, I have had the privilege and the honor to watch true friendships be born on this site. Nothing, and I mean nothing, gives me more satisfaction than thinking about the friendships that have manifested here. People that are unforgettable. Take Les for instance. The impact he had and so many of us is my greatest reward.

This site has always been about COMMUNITY. Even when I moved to that network, my focus was always about keeping the community strong. One of my proudest moments came when I broke free of that oppressive network and went back to being 100% independent and advertisement free. The donations from the community were always enough to keep the lights on.

After a decade or so, I decided to sell the site. Our beloved landlord Mark Olsen (aka RockHawk) took up the challenge. I asked of him one thing. Just keep .NET's community the heart of the site. And he did not disappoint. It's not easy to run a site like this. There's a lot of work that goes into making this the valued community that it remains to this day. Mark overseeing the website, Anguish...ANGUISH! the amount of blood, sweat and tears he has poured into this site to keep the back end running efficiently...The volunteer mod staff...My word the silent heroes!! The Kidhawks the Kitsaps, the countless volunteers who have and continue to make this forum so well ran could never be the great community it remains without their tireless and humble efforts. Never has it been about payment or reward. Always about the mutual love for the Seahawks and the camaraderie of being a fellow 12.

I don't have a clue where this site will be 20 years from now but I want to give my respect to everyone that has made this site what it is and remains to be. The whole point of .NET was to bring 12's together, to have a place online we could all come together and commune over our favorite team.

I never realized the friendships that would blossom. I never thought about the impact this site would have and so many, and for that I am most proud.

20 years. Wow. Here's to another 20.

Go Hawks!

:irishdrinkers:

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

:les: Check your PM's....We miss you :les:
    kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:14 am
  • It was a big part of my life for many years. I used to feel like a lonely schmuck being a Seahawks back then, but at least here I could be a schmuck among friends. Thanks to all who made it happen, especially the GODFATHER himself.
    * NET Staff *

Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:21 am
  • Has it been that long already? I've been a member of since inception. I can still remember seeing the new SH99 Watters on the front page of the site year 2 and being excited about that up and coming season.

I'm not much of a contributor here but I love this site and it's been my go-to for anything everything Seahawks.

Thanks Aros and everyone currently involved in keeping this place the best place for Hawk fans. You guys are the BOMB!

Salute!!! :irishdrinkers:
    Greenhell
    NET Veteran

Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:15 am
  • Dang, time flies! I think I was here for Seahawks98, I know I was for Seahawks99 and onwards. Back then my username was PatS as I recall, but that was deemed 'too short' (just like a certain QB... :mrgreen: ) during one of the switchovers so now I'm the geek. Definitely made several of the Temple pre-funks over the years, and made friends

Thanks, Aros! See, this is the real reason the internet was invented.
    GeekHawk
    US Navy ET Nuc

Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:55 am
  • Does anyone remember the AOL Hawks page or the Seahawks newsgroup from the early '90s?
    When a person is dead, he doesn't know he's dead .. Same goes for being stupid.
    chet380
    NET Veteran

Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:57 am
  • chet380 wrote:Does anyone remember the AOL Hawks page or the Seahawks newsgroup from the early '90s?

Sporting News was my first intro to Seahawks message boards. That's where I first learned that "I'M NOT BEING NEGATIVE JUST REALISTIC YOU'RE BLIND IF YOU THINK JON KITNA WILL EVER AMOUNT TO ANYTHING".
    * NET Staff *

Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:12 pm
  • There was Fanstop for awhile too. Once that folded most people came here. Myself included.
    In 180 games, Walter Jones was called for 9 holding penalties in the course of 5,703 pass plays.
    First Round Inductee To Hall Of Fame 2014
    ESPN #1 Rated Seahawks Player of All Time
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:24 pm
  • I really hated the Fanstop format of cascading threads broke out.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:27 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:I really hated the Fanstop format of cascading threads broke out.

It was like that here too at first for a few years. :shock:
    In 180 games, Walter Jones was called for 9 holding penalties in the course of 5,703 pass plays.
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:01 pm
  • Twenty years of a great fan resource thanks to Aros.
    Thomas Paine: To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead
    Seafan
    NET Veteran

Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:17 pm
  • A big "Thank You" from the few remaining members of the .Net Old Farts Society.
    Proud Member of the .Net Old Farts Society
    Bigpumpkin
    NET Veteran

Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:04 am
  • I wasn't around for the old days but back then it wasn't easy to
    find a Hawks site..I had an AOL and dialup connection ..
    I can remember after AOL being a member on a Fox Sports
    forum with one other Hawk fan "QWest"and as you can imagine
    we constantly had to endure the SeaChicken insults ect..
    I'm glad to have found this site somehow and I know I missed
    out on a lot prior but Thanks to Aros and a lot of others for keeping
    it going through the years..~S~
    Will Dissly
    2018 Adopt a rookie
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:51 am
  • chet380 wrote:Does anyone remember the AOL Hawks page or the Seahawks newsgroup from the early '90s?

Good lord, yes (the netnews group anyway). rec.sport.football.pro.seattle-seahawks - something like that. I remember the likes of Bill Besette, Bill Tommisser, Peter Reggio & others. There was someone else - California Kent - who I remember having a "discussion" with on the main NFL site on who the better FB was - Tom Rathman or John L. Williams. You can guess which one I was batting for! :) :49ersmall:

We had a group in the UK too, set up by Matt Cheesman back in the mid/late '90s I think. That too is sadly defunct.

Anyway, congrats for keeping this going for 20 years! I don't post here often (and I haven't been here long) but it's the best source of Seahawks stuff I've come across in recent years. So, excellent job guys!

:D
    Used to be young, free and single. Now I'm old, cheap and single!
    The S.W.R.A.!
    Eltagi
    NET Bench Warmer

Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:20 am
  • Eltagi wrote:
    chet380 wrote:Does anyone remember the AOL Hawks page or the Seahawks newsgroup from the early '90s?

Good lord, yes (the netnews group anyway). rec.sport.football.pro.seattle-seahawks - something like that. I remember the likes of Bill Besette...

Wow, Bill Besette...Now that is a name I haven't heard in YEARS!

"Shaquem Griffin tells ESPN after he got drafted by Seattle; 'I can't breathe.' That's the only time you'll hear him say he can't do something." - Dan Wetzel via Twitter.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:22 pm
  • MizHawk and Myself have many fond memories of .Net Gatherings in Cheney, and Pre-Funking at Temples for games we have been fortunate to attend. Miss a lot that's happened over the past 20 years, but looking forward to the New! :irishdrinkers:
    Looking For That One Particular Harbor....
    Hawkboi
    * Class Act Hawk Fan *

Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:49 pm
  • Aros wrote:
    Eltagi wrote:
    chet380 wrote:Does anyone remember the AOL Hawks page or the Seahawks newsgroup from the early '90s?

Good lord, yes (the netnews group anyway). rec.sport.football.pro.seattle-seahawks - something like that. I remember the likes of Bill Besette...

Wow, Bill Besette...Now that is a name I haven't heard in YEARS!

Ha - I guess that ages us both somewhat! :) He liked to be known as William latterly - had his own website which I haven't visited for, what, 10 years or so. Can't remember what it was (no idea if it's still available), but it wasn't solely Seahawks stuff on there.
    The S.W.R.A.!
    Eltagi
    NET Bench Warmer

Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:22 am

I remember the mid to late 90s being a heady time. In late '96, early '97 a bunch of us AFC West fans on AOL decided their NFL boards just weren't good enough so we created our own Wild Wild West site, which then grew into NFLFans.com. You had Bill "Squidly" Bissett's fansite, Becky's Place, Kohary's Cove and my own little Seahawk's Nest. Then Aros started Seahawks98. I joined the site as a casual member to check it out and fell in love with it. I left NFLFans.com in '99, shut down my site, and became a fulltime member here, eventually becoming a mod for a short time. I've been around, at least lurking, for all the iterations of this community and it remains one of my favorite places on the internet.
    THIS SPACE FOR RENT
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:16 am
  • Wow, time flies. Nothing will ever be like that draft party in Sultan awhile back.
    purpleneer
    NET Starter

Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:56 am
  • Hawkboi wrote:MizHawk and Myself have many fond memories of .Net Gatherings in Cheney, and Pre-Funking at Temples for games we have been fortunate to attend. Miss a lot that's happened over the past 20 years, but looking forward to the New! :irishdrinkers:

You and your lovely bride were a big part of my fond memories in Cheney and pre-funking. So glad you are still around!

Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:58 am
  • SeatownJay wrote:
    I remember the mid to late 90s being a heady time. In late '96, early '97 a bunch of us AFC West fans on AOL decided their NFL boards just weren't good enough so we created our own Wild Wild West site, which then grew into NFLFans.com. You had Bill "Squidly" Bissett's fansite, Becky's Place, Kohary's Cove and my own little Seahawk's Nest. Then Aros started Seahawks98. I joined the site as a casual member to check it out and fell in love with it. I left NFLFans.com in '99, shut down my site, and became a fulltime member here, eventually becoming a mod for a short time. I've been around, at least lurking, for all the iterations of this community and it remains one of my favorite places on the internet.

I remember all of that...Squidly, Becky's Place, your Nest...All fond memories and good times! We were all (and still are) passionate Seahawks fans just wanted our voices to be heard on this expansive new network called the internet. The friendships and bonds forged through our sites is immeasurable.

Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:24 am
  • SeatownJay wrote:

Bill "Squidly" Bissett's fansite

Ah yes, I remember now (sort of) - Bill's website had "squidly" somewhere in his URL. Thanks for the reminder!
    The S.W.R.A.!
    Eltagi
    NET Bench Warmer

Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:49 pm
  • Congrats! Many thanks for getting .NET started Aros and to those involved in keeping it going! :irishdrinkers:
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran

Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:22 pm
  • Yes Aros you should be proud. I just hope no one manages to figure out how much lost productivity this place has caused. Thanks to all that have helped keep the place runnng through the years.
    homerun1970
    NET Veteran

Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:51 pm

KiwiHawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:58 pm
  • KiwiHawk wrote:Image

So good, thanks for posting this Kiwi
    Heyseed
    NET Veteran

Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:19 pm

KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:45 pm
  • Amber and the .NET
    Heyseed
    NET Veteran

Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:40 pm
  • Thanks for this post Todd. This site has been an amazing part of my life for many years. Thank you for creating my online home
    acer1240
    NET Veteran

Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:35 pm
  • Nice to see Les there happy and looking good, Kitsap and then is that Aros in the back and Rockhawk also.

The Amber days were fun times.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:46 pm

Front row: Gandalf, Doug Farrar, Amber, ? (maybe AudioEffects?) , Matt Wolfe, Me, Les, Hawkstorian, Kidhawk.

Back row: Buckethead Jones, Aros, ? (could be a young Rockhawk, not sure though) :oops:
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:28 am
  • KiwiHawk wrote:Image

BOSS!!

Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:05 pm
  • And then MontanaHawk05 found the place and it was all downhill from there.

Thanks to Aros, Mark, Neal, and everyone else who made the place what it is.
    GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:00 pm
  • MontanaHawk05 wrote:And then MontanaHawk05 found the place and it was all downhill from there.

I mean you're not wrong.
    "Sometimes, guys can't hang with what's expected for one reason or another, their growth, their development and all that, and the best thing I can tell you is that they're not here."
    - Big Balls Pete
    NFSeahawks628
    NET Veteran

Location: Born: Tacoma, WA Current Location: Tally, Seminole Country (Road Hawk)

Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:20 pm
  • DesiHawk wrote:Congratulations and Thanks each and everyone for making this place as awesome as it is. :229031_thewave:

You're welcome.
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

It is currently Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:34 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information