Will Penalties Decrease?

adeltaY

Reaction score
I was re-watching some 2017 games and reading some recaps of them, which reminded me that penalties were a HUGE issue for the team. Have been for years, really. I'd argue they were in the mix with Walsh, injuries, and OL for main reasons we missed the playoffs.

With the new retooling/rebuilding and Pete seeking younger guys who buy in fully, do you think the team will improve in this area? It sounds like Solari will make this a priority for the OL with his emphasis on technique, but there are many other areas that have hurt us penalty-wise, especially defensive holding and DPI.

http://www.nflpenalties.com/index.php?y ... view=total

I also noticed we were by far the leaders in net yards lost by penalties, with over 200 more yards lost than the team in second place. That's not entirely in the team's control, of course.

seabowl

Reaction score
No Bennett and hopefully less Ifedi will solve much of the problem.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Bennett being gone will alleviate a lot of the offside penalties but the secondary will probably be called for their fair share of PI and holding calls. Ifedi will almost certainly be his usual dumpster fire self when it comes to false starts and so forth, so we might be marginally better.

GeekHawk

Reaction score
Considering how it was pointed out by ex-pros last year how Ifedi had fundamental technique flaws which were coached-in, and considering how Solari is being touted by pro-bowl-level olinemen for his extreme attention to detail and emphasis on teaching the very technique stuff that was missing under rhymes-with-unable, it strains credulity that any *thinking* person would actually expect no improvement in Ifedi (and the whole line). Maybe the *thinking* part is the problem here.

Good call on Bennett and the critical d-killing offsides calls, constantly turning 3rd-&-long into 3rd-&-easy while inexplicably never getting any holds called his way while getting tackled from behind.

Seymour

Reaction score
They sure as hell better or we are destined for more mediocrity until they do. This team isn't good enough to dig out of those holes any longer. That said, I remain skeptical as long as Ifedi is starting.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
On offense yes they should. OL who understand what they are being asked to do and how to execute and aren’t being tasked beyond their abilities should commit less penalties.

On defense ... NO... Defensive penalties are the result of Pete’s coaching his guys to the edge. I don’t expect this to change. Pete enjoys the ringmaster roll and it has worked well for him in the past.

Hawk1217

Reaction score
Seymour":s10qn4bw said:
They sure as hell better or we are destined for more mediocrity until they do. This team isn't good enough to dig out of those holes any longer. That said, I remain skeptical as long as Ifedi is starting.

Agreed though I could argue no team can overcome the number of penalties we get on a consistent basis year in and year out. I also am concerned about Infedi.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
I'm thinking that under Solari's tutoring, the whole Offensive Line will likely be under some heavy scrutiny, particularly Germain Ifedi, and if he resorts to his old habits, I believe Solari will pull him.
Michael "Hair Trigger" Bennett had more than his FAIR SHARE of off-sides, and no, Pete Carroll didn't Coach him up to getting the lions share of penalties, hell, he even dominated in Off-Sides penalties in the last Pro Bowl, that's just how he's wired.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
I absolutely hate Schottenheimer as an OC, I think he is garbage tier. Now that this statement is out of the way, Schottenheimer does have a few plus sides. He is a fantastic QB coach, and he is the type of old school dude that will rail on his players for not being disciplined. He demands discipline and he is usually good at getting his guys to fall in line with his vision. He isn't the mealy mouthed Bevell, he is more like a Jim Mora Sr. sort of dude. Tell it straight like it is, no beating around the bush.