Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Mediots piling on

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Mediots piling on
Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:50 pm
  • Yes it's Yardbarker but this is pretty bad.

21. Seattle Seahawks
    How the mighty have fallen. Richard Sherman, Michael Bennett, Cliff Avril and Sheldon Richardson are all gone from last season’s team. Kam Chancellor may never play football again after suffering a neck injury. Meanwhile, fellow safety Earl Thomas promises to be a training camp holdout. That’s a total of 19 Pro Bowls right there. Seattle might think it has in-house replacements for this group, but that’s certainly a far-fetched conclusion to come to. While there’s talent with the likes of Frank Clark, Bobby Wagner, K.J. Wright and Shaquill Griffin on this unit, we’re not expecting much more than a below-average defense in Seattle this coming season. A mass exodus like we saw during the spring only magnifies that further.

Vincent Frank, Sportsnaut

We are being written off basically.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/ranking-all-32-nfl-defenses-heading-into-2018/ss-AAze3NS?li=BBnba9I#image=13

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Re: Mediots piling on
Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:49 pm
  • LOL doesn't even mention Wilson. And this dude gets paid for his "prose"?

"Shaquem Griffin tells ESPN after he got drafted by Seattle; 'I can't breathe.' That's the only time you'll hear him say he can't do something." - Dan Wetzel via Twitter.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:03 pm
  • Perfect!

12's are more comfortable being dogged. All that hype just lead to mayhem anyway! :2thumbs:

Seymour
    NET Veteran

Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:45 pm
  • Good. There is NO better state for a Pete Carroll coached team than hungry and unrecognized.
    Mojambo
    NET Veteran

Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:59 pm
  • "While there’s talent with the likes of Frank Clark, Bobby Wagner, K.J. Wright and Shaquill Griffin on this unit, we’re not expecting much more than a below-average defense in Seattle this coming season."

Soooo, these names should be just written off? These are high quality players which this guy wants to minimize. BWags is no joke and KJ can ball, so can Shaq. Not to mention we have quality smart players on defense with these guys and the possibility of ET on the team. If ET goes, it is obvious the offense needs to step up. So what! It should. This team still looks solid as far as I'm concerned.
    "It's Ground Hawks Day" Chris Berman
    seahawkfreak
    NET Veteran

Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:17 pm
  • Did they think all of these guys got hurt in week 17 or something? All of those players were missing from the team by week 8 or 9. The team won 9 games and had the lowest rushing total ever for running backs in a 16 game season. This tells me that Pete is finally going to win his coach of the year award after the team wins 11-12 games.
    sdog1981
    NET Veteran

Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:52 pm
  • sdog1981 wrote:Did they think all of these guys got hurt in week 17 or something? All of those players were missing from the team by week 8 or 9. The team won 9 games and had the lowest rushing total ever for running backs in a 16 game season. This tells me that Pete is finally going to win his coach of the year award after the team wins 11-12 games.

I think Pete deserves it at some point, but the W-L spread between a losing and winning year isn't enough. He'd have to go 16-0 to win it, I think.
    NET Veteran

Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:13 pm
  • Ad Hawk wrote:
    sdog1981 wrote:Did they think all of these guys got hurt in week 17 or something? All of those players were missing from the team by week 8 or 9. The team won 9 games and had the lowest rushing total ever for running backs in a 16 game season. This tells me that Pete is finally going to win his coach of the year award after the team wins 11-12 games.

I think Pete deserves it at some point, but the W-L spread between a losing and winning year isn't enough. He'd have to go 16-0 to win it, I think.

Usually that is the case with Coach of the Year, but there are exceptions. Andy Reid won Coach of the Year with a 12-4 record, a year after going 11-5. One of Belichick's Coach of the Year awards came the year after he missed the playoffs with a 9-7 record. With so many highly publicized departures, national expectations are incredibly low for this team. If Pete managed to overcome the odds, I think he would be in the running. He would probably need to win the division for that to happen. There could also be more of a push for it as a career achievement kind of thing. He deserved to win it in 2012 and 2013. If he can win now, despite the number of personnel losses, he may receive more recognition.
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:22 pm
  • The fact Pete is a defensive coach and I can't remember college or Pro where his defense wasn't one that drove people nuts, we may have a slightly different scheme without Kam in there to punish unless there is a Joker card we have yet to see Pete play. Remember the Bandit package in Chicago, he found a way to put guys on the field that gave us a chance to win.

We still have speed all over like a Nascar raceway, we still have Coaching for our guys and Pete still knows how to take a guys best attributes and put him in a position to play down hill.

We may not be top 5 this coming season but I would bet easily top ten and pushing the rest above us with the rebuild.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:20 am
  • Seymour wrote:Perfect!

12's are more comfortable being dogged. All that hype just lead to mayhem anyway! :2thumbs:

I love the mayhem guy! 8)

Awesome I like it when the national media writes off my team. It’s fun watching them backpeddle and stumble when they are wrong! :)
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:53 am
  • chris98251 wrote:Yes it's Yardbarker but this is pretty bad.

21. Seattle Seahawks
    How the mighty have fallen. Richard Sherman, Michael Bennett, Cliff Avril and Sheldon Richardson are all gone from last season’s team. Kam Chancellor may never play football again....

Yea, last season's team, and last season's defense. 11th in yards, 13th in points, 6th in passing yards, 19th in rushing yards.

Oh no, what ever shall we do?? /s :lol:
    Long you live and high you fly, and smiles you’ll give and tears you’ll cry, and all you touch and all you see Is all your life will ever be
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:19 am
  • Hilarious. Love it. Hope they continue to be this clueless. PLEASE tell the Hawks what they can't do.
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:25 am
  • "19 pro bowls" -- I find it laughable when people just frivolously add numbers together to try to emphasize a point.

That's up there with "they have 95 years of combined experience".
    Mindsink
    NET Starter

Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:33 am
  • Aros wrote:LOL doesn't even mention Wilson. And this dude gets paid for his "prose"?

It would be weird to write about Wilson in an article titled "Ranking All 32 NFL Defenses."

twisted_steel2 wrote:Yea, last season's team, and last season's defense. 11th in yards, 13th in points, 6th in passing yards, 19th in rushing yards.

FWIW in the back half of the year once they started losing some of the defensive players that they don't have any more to injury (Sherman and Kam -- they had Bennett and Richardson through the full year) they gave up 23.5 ppg, which would put them at 21st in the league (incidentally where this article puts them).

sdog1981 wrote:Did they think all of these guys got hurt in week 17 or something? All of those players were missing from the team by week 8 or 9.

Michael Bennett, Sheldon Richardson, Jimmy Graham, and Paul Richardson all played the full season.

Kam and Sherman played until Week 9, and Avril only to Week 4.

If you want to ignore that most of their player losses this off-season played the full year, even going to the Week 9 injuries in which they lost Kam and Sherman, without those two guys who they no longer have they were under .500 from that point on.

To be really clear, I'm not arguing that the Hawks are going to have the 21st ranked defense or are going to be bad on defense (with this much turnover we'd expect them to take a step back, but how big that step will be is anyone's guess), but I think the rationales given for why this guy is an idiot don't really hold that much water.

#21 looked really low to me too until I started looking into some of the details, at which point, although I still think it's low, I can now at least understand how a neutral, third part observer could come to that conclusion.
    Last edited by Popeyejones on Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Popeyejones
    NET Veteran

Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:34 am
  • I expect us to play above our talent level a little bit, but I think it's quite a longshot to anticipate that we have a top defense. We're going to need some guys to step up huge that aren't really projected to be that good. It will happen, they'll probably find a decent CB2 and hopefully find an impactful DE, but my guess is that it is going to take some time to churn through the roster and find these people. I think it is very possible that we took the talent level of a lot of our defensive veterans for granted a little bit.

I know, Madden, but I did the exercise of starting a Franchise after cutting the players we don't have anymore and adding the rookies and FA's in their place. This exercise really brought the roster changes to life. We're in a different world right now. There's very much a 2010 feel to this thing. This time though, our 4-3 under, cover-3 defense isn't going to sneak up on anyone. There's quite a challenge ahead of us.
    I'm fly
    I should be in the sky with birds
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:47 am
  • On defense....No I don't see a top 5 defense. But I see enough to believe we could fall somewhere between #8-12 and with improvements of offense that could possibly mean better than last seasons record of 9-7 IMO. My point. We need to see these guys hitting and playing real football, and these Bozo's are being paid to take shots in the dark. Kick 'em while their down seems to be their go to move right now. Fine with me, we will remember. :snack:
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:56 am

• Cue Underdog Mantra
    Michael Dickson, P, Texas: 2018 Adopt a Probowl Rookie
    Atradees
    NET Veteran

Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:23 am
  • Popeyejones wrote:It would be weird to write about Wilson in an article titled "Ranking All 32 NFL Defenses."

Well that will teach me not to just read the quoted portion of the post without clicking on the link. :34853_doh:

"Shaquem Griffin tells ESPN after he got drafted by Seattle; 'I can't breathe.' That's the only time you'll hear him say he can't do something." - Dan Wetzel via Twitter.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:42 am
  • Aros wrote:
    Popeyejones wrote:It would be weird to write about Wilson in an article titled "Ranking All 32 NFL Defenses."

Well that will teach me not to just read the quoted portion of the post without clicking on the link. :34853_doh:

I'm guilty as well and for good reason. Why give those trolls the business clicks is my reason.
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:46 am
  • Aros wrote:
    Popeyejones wrote:It would be weird to write about Wilson in an article titled "Ranking All 32 NFL Defenses."

We've all done it before, and no doubt will all do it again. :lol: :2thumbs:
    Popeyejones
    NET Veteran

Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:27 pm
  • I would love to watch these media types eat their words come Halloween as the Hawks lead the Division. We can dream can't we?
    Proud Member of the .Net Old Farts Society
    Bigpumpkin
    NET Veteran

Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:39 pm
  • Well, they likely won't eat their words with the Rams implode.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:43 pm
  • seahawkfreak wrote:"While there’s talent with the likes of Frank Clark, Bobby Wagner, K.J. Wright and Shaquill Griffin on this unit, we’re not expecting much more than a below-average defense in Seattle this coming season."

Soooo, these names should be just written off? These are high quality players which this guy wants to minimize. BWags is no joke and KJ can ball, so can Shaq. Not to mention we have quality smart players on defense with these guys and the possibility of ET on the team. If ET goes, it is obvious the offense needs to step up. So what! It should. This team still looks solid as far as I'm concerned.

I suspect that there will be more a just a few defensive players who will have a large chip on their shoulders after this type of disrespect, and those mentioned are all very good players.

This whole storyline from the media is nothing more than lazy reporting. while it is clear the loss of Bennett, Sherman, Avril, Chancellor, and possibly Thomas will cause the D to be different than at the end of last season the younger players who have served as quality depth now get their shot to start. They will be motivated to change the national storyline.

Crow will be consumed!
    Until we develop a pass rush that will cause opposing teams to be forced to scheme to defend it we will never be able to consistently take the final step. The interior rush needs improvement. The OLine clearly still needs work.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions at last after 38 seasons. Awesome!!!
    jammerhawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:59 pm
  • You know, what Chris98xxx stated made me think, what did defenses look like when PC was the DC with the NY Jets and Niners?

He always had an elephant/Leo rush end. That's a constant.

He had 6-2 215lbs Tim McDonald (Niners) and Brian Washington (Jets) at SS. I recall McDonald was a hitter, but no idea about Washington. But neither intimidated and smashed players like BamBam.

And, PC didn't have a cover safety like Earl. Merton Hanks (Niners) was the free and he made a couple of splash plays, but...

I think the demise of this defense is overstated. Yes, he lost future HoF players but they forgot PC is still here. He designed great defenses without a LOB without future HoFers with the Jets and Niners.

I have no doubt he'll do it again. :irishdrinkers:
    truehawksfan
    NET Veteran

Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:11 am
  • Popeyejones wrote:
    Aros wrote:LOL doesn't even mention Wilson. And this dude gets paid for his "prose"?

It would be weird to write about Wilson in an article titled "Ranking All 32 NFL Defenses."

twisted_steel2 wrote:Yea, last season's team, and last season's defense. 11th in yards, 13th in points, 6th in passing yards, 19th in rushing yards.

FWIW in the back half of the year once they started losing some of the defensive players that they don't have any more to injury (Sherman and Kam -- they had Bennett and Richardson through the full year) they gave up 23.5 ppg, which would put them at 21st in the league (incidentally where this article puts them).

sdog1981 wrote:Did they think all of these guys got hurt in week 17 or something? All of those players were missing from the team by week 8 or 9.

Michael Bennett, Sheldon Richardson, Jimmy Graham, and Paul Richardson all played the full season.

Kam and Sherman played until Week 9, and Avril only to Week 4.

If you want to ignore that most of their player losses this off-season played the full year, even going to the Week 9 injuries in which they lost Kam and Sherman, without those two guys who they no longer have they were under .500 from that point on.

To be really clear, I'm not arguing that the Hawks are going to have the 21st ranked defense or are going to be bad on defense (with this much turnover we'd expect them to take a step back, but how big that step will be is anyone's guess), but I think the rationales given for why this guy is an idiot don't really hold that much water.

#21 looked really low to me too until I started looking into some of the details, at which point, although I still think it's low, I can now at least understand how a neutral, third part observer could come to that conclusion.

Quit being reasonable. It's pitchfork season against the media who all hate and underestimate the Hawks!
    Smellyman
    NET Veteran

Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:06 am
  • I like how he mentions Cliff Avril is gone from last years team as if he played more than 4 games
    Steve2222
    NET Veteran

Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:14 am
  • Steve2222 wrote:I like how he mentions Cliff Avril is gone from last years team as if he played more than 4 games

If your gunna dig...may as well go deep.

Seymour
    NET Veteran

Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:58 am

21. Seattle Seahawks
    How the mighty have fallen. Richard Sherman, Michael Bennett, Cliff Avril and Sheldon Richardson are all gone from last season’s team. Kam Chancellor may never play football again after suffering a neck injury. Meanwhile, fellow safety Earl Thomas promises to be a training camp holdout. That’s a total of 19 Pro Bowls right there. Seattle might think it has in-house replacements for this group, but that’s certainly a far-fetched conclusion to come to. While there’s talent with the likes of Frank Clark, Bobby Wagner, K.J. Wright and Shaquill Griffin on this unit, we’re not expecting much more than a below-average defense in Seattle this coming season. A mass exodus like we saw during the spring only magnifies that further.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/ranking-all-32-nfl-defenses-heading-into-2018/ss-AAze3NS?li=BBnba9I#image=13

Perfect!
    Jimjones0384
    NET Veteran

Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:59 am
  • Haven't played a single game and they magically are already a horrible team :roll:
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:01 pm
  • It's a typical national article you see in power rankings with a small high-level blurb to support the ranking, but for all that it isn't a gross miscarriage of justice.

We've lost a ton of veteran talent in the secondary. Sherman - when healthy - was still discouraging offenses from trying the right side. I personally felt McDougald was equal to what Kam had been reduced to recently, but with Earl holding out it's fair to say the secondary is a question mark. Griffin looked the part his first year but is being asked to switch sides. What % of Sherman will Griffin be his sophomore season over there? Maxwell keeping it all in front of him works well when LCB is shutting it all down and safety play is good, but will that be the case?

Which is all compounded by losing a ton of veteran pass-rushing talent.

TBH I am hoping for a defense that can still stop the run and that can make a play in the secondary when it counts. I have a hard time seeing a Pete Carroll defense in the lower-third of the league, but if we were going to see it, next year would be the year.
    hawk45
    NET Veteran

Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:14 pm
  • It’s mostly disrespectful to Pete Carroll, one of the best defensive coaches the game has seen.
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:08 pm
  • McDougald was great against the pass, but considerably weaker against the run compared to Kam. We definitely missed Kam on run D.
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran

Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:21 pm
  • Mindsink wrote:"19 pro bowls" -- I find it laughable when people just frivolously add numbers together to try to emphasize a point.

That's up there with "they have 95 years of combined experience".

My thoughts exactly!
    semiahmoo wrote:I'll say it again - this is Pete's last season in Seattle if the teams doesn't make a legit hard run deep into the playoffs.
    Jerhawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:39 pm
  • I love the young D-Line that is being built but it feels like it needs 1 more pass rusher. Rasheem Green needs to emerge early.

The LB core is fantastic w/Wagner, Wright, Mingo, & Griffin.

The DBs are a big dropoff from the ridiculous 1st team all-pro's they used to have, but that being said they will still be above avg.

LC Griffin -> Above avg could be great.
    FS ET -> HOF in his prime.
    SS McDougald -> Avg.
    RC Maxwell -> Avg in Seattle's scheme.
    NB Coleman -> Fringe top 5 NB in the game. He is awesome, one of the most underrated players in the NFL.
    +1 of the young players that will inevitably emerge.

Defense is the last thing I worry about with PC teams. It is always been about Pete's choices on offense with coaches, and personnel that ends up deciding the success of his teams, and how far they can go.
    Fade
    NET Veteran

Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:53 am
  • Fade wrote:I love the young D-Line that is being built but it feels like it needs 1 more pass rusher. Rasheem Green needs to emerge early.

The LB core is fantastic w/Wagner, Wright, Mingo, & Griffin.

The DBs are a big dropoff from the ridiculous 1st team all-pro's they used to have, but that being said they will still be above avg.

LC Griffin -> Above avg could be great.
    FS ET -> HOF in his prime.
    SS McDougald -> Avg.
    RC Maxwell -> Avg in Seattle's scheme.
    NB Coleman -> Fringe top 5 NB in the game. He is awesome, one of the most underrated players in the NFL.
    +1 of the young players that will inevitably emerge.

Defense is the last thing I worry about with PC teams. It is always been about Pete's choices on offense with coaches, and personnel that ends up deciding the success of his teams, and how far they can go.

I truly do not believe they are done adding edge rushers. There is enough cap room to sign someone, and has been pointed out in other threads, extra cap space can be made by extending other players. Just have to see who becomes available. And I think you are spot on with coleman.
    Jimjones0384
    NET Veteran

Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:47 am

21. Seattle Seahawks

Honestly? I don't think Frank is far off when it comes to the potential issues our defense could have.

Right now our starting D-Line is Clark, Reed, Jones and Green..........with Jackson, Stephens, Johnson and Dion Jordan as depth rotation.

Does that line strike fear into anyone right now? Yeah POTENTIALLY these guys could play well, but on paper it worries the hell out of me.

And on the back end if Earl holds out into the season? This shizzle could get ugly my friend.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:52 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:Honestly? I don't think Frank is far off when it comes to the potential issues our defense could have.

Right now our starting D-Line is Clark, Reed, Jones and Green..........with Jackson, Stephens, Johnson and Dion Jordan as depth rotation.

Does that line strike fear into anyone right now? Yeah POTENTIALLY these guys could play well, but on paper it worries the hell out of me.

And on the back end if Earl holds out into the season? This shizzle could get ugly my friend.

I get what you are saying, but the pundit logic goes like this:

The Seahawks defense was crap when Carroll took over.
      Carroll adds a bunch no-names and cast-offs from other teams.
      Defense is one of the best defenses the NFL has ever seen.
      Some guys leave.
      Carroll adds a bunch no-names and cast-offs from other teams.
      DOOM!

I'll wait until I see how it plays out on the field before judging, but the guy who built the 2013 defense is still in charge and that gives me reason for optimism.
    KiwiHawk
    NET Veteran

It is currently Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:07 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information