Mediots piling on

chris98251

Reaction score
Yes it's Yardbarker but this is pretty bad.

21. Seattle Seahawks
How the mighty have fallen. Richard Sherman, Michael Bennett, Cliff Avril and Sheldon Richardson are all gone from last season’s team. Kam Chancellor may never play football again after suffering a neck injury. Meanwhile, fellow safety Earl Thomas promises to be a training camp holdout. That’s a total of 19 Pro Bowls right there. Seattle might think it has in-house replacements for this group, but that’s certainly a far-fetched conclusion to come to. While there’s talent with the likes of Frank Clark, Bobby Wagner, K.J. Wright and Shaquill Griffin on this unit, we’re not expecting much more than a below-average defense in Seattle this coming season. A mass exodus like we saw during the spring only magnifies that further.

Vincent Frank, Sportsnaut

We are being written off basically.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nf...ding-into-2018/ss-AAze3NS?li=BBnba9I#image=13

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
LOL doesn't even mention Wilson. And this dude gets paid for his "prose"?

Seymour

Reaction score
Perfect!

12's are more comfortable being dogged. All that hype just lead to mayhem anyway! :2thumbs:

Maxresdefault

Mojambo

Reaction score
Good. There is NO better state for a Pete Carroll coached team than hungry and unrecognized.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
"While there’s talent with the likes of Frank Clark, Bobby Wagner, K.J. Wright and Shaquill Griffin on this unit, we’re not expecting much more than a below-average defense in Seattle this coming season."

Soooo, these names should be just written off? These are high quality players which this guy wants to minimize. BWags is no joke and KJ can ball, so can Shaq. Not to mention we have quality smart players on defense with these guys and the possibility of ET on the team. If ET goes, it is obvious the offense needs to step up. So what! It should. This team still looks solid as far as I'm concerned.

sdog1981

Reaction score
Did they think all of these guys got hurt in week 17 or something? All of those players were missing from the team by week 8 or 9. The team won 9 games and had the lowest rushing total ever for running backs in a 16 game season. This tells me that Pete is finally going to win his coach of the year award after the team wins 11-12 games.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
sdog1981":bnov2zcv said:
Did they think all of these guys got hurt in week 17 or something? All of those players were missing from the team by week 8 or 9. The team won 9 games and had the lowest rushing total ever for running backs in a 16 game season. This tells me that Pete is finally going to win his coach of the year award after the team wins 11-12 games.

I think Pete deserves it at some point, but the W-L spread between a losing and winning year isn't enough. He'd have to go 16-0 to win it, I think.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Ad Hawk":kxwxd6lt said:
sdog1981":kxwxd6lt said:

I think Pete deserves it at some point, but the W-L spread between a losing and winning year isn't enough. He'd have to go 16-0 to win it, I think.

Usually that is the case with Coach of the Year, but there are exceptions. Andy Reid won Coach of the Year with a 12-4 record, a year after going 11-5. One of Belichick's Coach of the Year awards came the year after he missed the playoffs with a 9-7 record. With so many highly publicized departures, national expectations are incredibly low for this team. If Pete managed to overcome the odds, I think he would be in the running. He would probably need to win the division for that to happen. There could also be more of a push for it as a career achievement kind of thing. He deserved to win it in 2012 and 2013. If he can win now, despite the number of personnel losses, he may receive more recognition.

OP
OP
chris98251

chris98251

Reaction score
The fact Pete is a defensive coach and I can't remember college or Pro where his defense wasn't one that drove people nuts, we may have a slightly different scheme without Kam in there to punish unless there is a Joker card we have yet to see Pete play. Remember the Bandit package in Chicago, he found a way to put guys on the field that gave us a chance to win.

We still have speed all over like a Nascar raceway, we still have Coaching for our guys and Pete still knows how to take a guys best attributes and put him in a position to play down hill.

We may not be top 5 this coming season but I would bet easily top ten and pushing the rest above us with the rebuild.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Seymour":2nt6x1l4 said:
Perfect!

12's are more comfortable being dogged. All that hype just lead to mayhem anyway! :2thumbs:

Maxresdefault
I love the mayhem guy! 8)

Awesome I like it when the national media writes off my team. It’s fun watching them backpeddle and stumble when they are wrong! :)

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
chris98251":1j1chu4f said:
Yes it's Yardbarker but this is pretty bad.

21. Seattle Seahawks
How the mighty have fallen. Richard Sherman, Michael Bennett, Cliff Avril and Sheldon Richardson are all gone from last season’s team. Kam Chancellor may never play football again....

Yea, last season's team, and last season's defense. 11th in yards, 13th in points, 6th in passing yards, 19th in rushing yards.

Oh no, what ever shall we do?? /s :lol:

Mindsink

Reaction score
"19 pro bowls" -- I find it laughable when people just frivolously add numbers together to try to emphasize a point.

That's up there with "they have 95 years of combined experience".

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Aros":1jc7rwfi said:
LOL doesn't even mention Wilson. And this dude gets paid for his "prose"?

It would be weird to write about Wilson in an article titled "Ranking All 32 NFL Defenses."

twisted_steel2":1jc7rwfi said:
Yea, last season's team, and last season's defense. 11th in yards, 13th in points, 6th in passing yards, 19th in rushing yards.

Oh no, what ever shall we do?? /s :lol:

FWIW in the back half of the year once they started losing some of the defensive players that they don't have any more to injury (Sherman and Kam -- they had Bennett and Richardson through the full year) they gave up 23.5 ppg, which would put them at 21st in the league (incidentally where this article puts them).

sdog1981":1jc7rwfi said:
Did they think all of these guys got hurt in week 17 or something? All of those players were missing from the team by week 8 or 9.

Michael Bennett, Sheldon Richardson, Jimmy Graham, and Paul Richardson all played the full season.

Kam and Sherman played until Week 9, and Avril only to Week 4.

If you want to ignore that most of their player losses this off-season played the full year, even going to the Week 9 injuries in which they lost Kam and Sherman, without those two guys who they no longer have they were under .500 from that point on.

To be really clear, I'm not arguing that the Hawks are going to have the 21st ranked defense or are going to be bad on defense (with this much turnover we'd expect them to take a step back, but how big that step will be is anyone's guess), but I think the rationales given for why this guy is an idiot don't really hold that much water.

#21 looked really low to me too until I started looking into some of the details, at which point, although I still think it's low, I can now at least understand how a neutral, third part observer could come to that conclusion.

Tical21

Reaction score
I expect us to play above our talent level a little bit, but I think it's quite a longshot to anticipate that we have a top defense. We're going to need some guys to step up huge that aren't really projected to be that good. It will happen, they'll probably find a decent CB2 and hopefully find an impactful DE, but my guess is that it is going to take some time to churn through the roster and find these people. I think it is very possible that we took the talent level of a lot of our defensive veterans for granted a little bit.

I know, Madden, but I did the exercise of starting a Franchise after cutting the players we don't have anymore and adding the rookies and FA's in their place. This exercise really brought the roster changes to life. We're in a different world right now. There's very much a 2010 feel to this thing. This time though, our 4-3 under, cover-3 defense isn't going to sneak up on anyone. There's quite a challenge ahead of us.

Seymour

Reaction score
On defense....No I don't see a top 5 defense. But I see enough to believe we could fall somewhere between #8-12 and with improvements of offense that could possibly mean better than last seasons record of 9-7 IMO. My point. We need to see these guys hitting and playing real football, and these Bozo's are being paid to take shots in the dark. Kick 'em while their down seems to be their go to move right now. Fine with me, we will remember. :snack:

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Popeyejones":3qaxuyaq said:
It would be weird to write about Wilson in an article titled "Ranking All 32 NFL Defenses."

Well that will teach me not to just read the quoted portion of the post without clicking on the link. :34853_doh:

Seymour

Reaction score
Aros":1supudi3 said:
Popeyejones":1supudi3 said:

Well that will teach me not to just read the quoted portion of the post without clicking on the link. :34853_doh:

I'm guilty as well and for good reason. Why give those trolls the business clicks is my reason.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Aros":aj5fol0r said:
Popeyejones":aj5fol0r said:

We've all done it before, and no doubt will all do it again. :lol: :2thumbs:

Latest posts