Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Summer talk : Who advocated in drafting Russell Wilson?

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
  • It took lots of guts to draft a short QB, in fact post draft reviews overwhelming laughed at Pete for drafting an undersized QB, a short running QB for that matter.

We sort of knew Pete was talked into drafting Russ, who scouted Russ, who advocated for him, and who convinced Pete to watch Russ’ game tapes?

I still give credit to Pete fir not letting his ego get in the way and took a big risk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    ++ You can call me a homer, but I am not the only one ++
    toffee
    NET Veteran

• Russell was Schneider’s pick in the draft and Pete’s pick on the field. He’s a great example of the two of them working well together.
    Help bring peace to the South LA / Puget Sound communities. Are you in?
    http://www.abetterla.org | http://www.abetterseattle.com
    sc85sis
    NET Veteran

• sc85sis wrote:Russell was Schneider’s pick in the draft and Pete’s pick on the field. He’s a great example of the two of them working well together.

Exactly!!
    Hawk1217
    NET Rookie

• sc85sis wrote:Russell was Schneider’s pick in the draft and Pete’s pick on the field. He’s a great example of the two of them working well together.

Yep, it was the two of them that created the perfect storm.
    The Seahawks messed up by letting someone who didn't know what the hell they're doing, pass on Drafting Brett Favre when we had the chance.
    Pete & John are still not getting the kudos/credit they deserve for Drafting RW, & even now days the pundits are dis'n his value to the Seahawks for the upcoming season.
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran

• I know I was was extraordinarily happy when Wilson was drafted.

After that I was worried at first about how quickly he took to his feet to dodge pressure instead of following his reads. However the run/pass option worked for him and he became a lot better at making his reads. Reality of course was his Line was not protecting him very well. I can only imagine how awesome he could become if he had a lot more time to pass and once again some run support. He's pretty awesome now!

Drafting him was one of the best draft moves ever made by the team.
    Last edited by jammerhawk on Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Until we develop a pass rush that will cause opposing teams to be forced to scheme to defend it we will never be able to consistently take the final step. The interior rush needs improvement. The OLine clearly still needs work.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions at last after 38 seasons. Awesome!!!
    jammerhawk
    NET Veteran

• I who admittedly knew very little of Russ in college thought he'd be another Seneca Wallace
    seabowl
    NET Veteran

• seabowl wrote:I who admittedly knew very little of Russ in college thought he'd be another Seneca Wallace

Such an open and honest statement is a declaration of independence and freedom from any and all pretense and posturing. Not everyone can volunteer as much. Well done!

Happy Independence Day!

In my case, I had minimum awareness of Russell Wilson in the days leading up to the draft and nothing in the way of prediction after the fact ..... only intrigue. But, that's just as well since I enjoy surprises and unfolding stories.
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

• I must confess that I didn't know anything about Russ before he was drafted, taken aback when Pete picked him, and disturbed post draft under the influence of 100% negative reviews and predictions by national experts.

The joy when Russ started to perform and excel was incomparable, even ahead of Walsh's drafting of Montana which was quite controversial if not as much so as Russ, (disclosure: I was a 9ers fan in Walsh and Seifert days.)

Any information on who scouted Russ for the Hawks?

toffee
    NET Veteran

• toffee wrote:

Based on what I recall at the time, I believe that it was John Schneider and he alone.

John earned his spurs in the Packers organization as a college talent evaluator under Ron Wolff.
    Superbowl XLVIII Champions..."Can't keep everyone."
    onanygivensunday
    NET Veteran

• onanygivensunday wrote:
    toffee wrote:

Based on what I recall at the time, I believe that it was John Schneider and he alone.

John earned his spurs in the Packers organization as a college talent evaluator under Ron Wolff.

One can said John single handedly changed the fortune of the Hawks with that draft. Can't imagine what the record would be without Russ in the past 2 seasons.

toffee
    NET Veteran

• Well we were looking at Tannehill also...…………….

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• Listening to Brock and Salk is what got me excited about the Hawks possibly drafting RW. Only two draft picks in recent memory was I sure about. When the Army Sgt went to the podium with the 75th pick I knew he was going to announce RW. The same way I fully expected the Hawks to select Shaquem with their first pick in the 5th round.
    Thomas Paine: To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead
    Seafan
    NET Veteran

• Kearly and a few of the others here on this board were fairly big advocates for Russell. I'd not heard of Russell, but upon reading some of those posts in the NCAA forum here, the pick made sense (looking forward at the time running up to that draft). Without having heard of Wilson, my first choice were Nick Foles; because it appeared that a) he had the measurables and b) he was going to be a later pick; not a 1st round guy.

Anyway, by the time the draft arrived, I were pleased as punch that they drafted Wilson.

From an armchair GM standpoint, it's nice to see Foles pan out, too.
    mrblitz
    NET Veteran

• I don't really follow college football but once we drafted Wilson I took a look and was really excited to see him play. Particularly because I wasn't all that enamoured with Flynn.

By the time training camp came around and reports that Wilson was stamping his authority in the huddle and putting the likes of T.O. in his place I could tell we had something special, and all it took was the opening preseason tilt against the Titans to be certain.
    themunn
    NET Veteran

• chris98251 wrote:Well we were looking at Tannehill also...…………….

So....? Tannehill is a successful QB in his own right. He certainly isn't Russell Wilson, but that doesn't mean he is some bum. He's been surrounded by bad talent, and management in Miami and still looks like a competent QB. He has his moments of bad play, but we could have done much worse than Tannehill.

Objectively he was a better pick than Weeden, Griffin, Foles, and Osweiler. That is half of the 8 QB's taken in the 2012 NFL. We had a 50/50 shot at drafting a complete bum, and the two QB's that were potentially obtainable on our draft board became either decent, or top 3 at their respective division. Schneider was pretty on point here with the Quarterbacks.
    Spin Doctor
    NET Veteran

• I am hoping John’s QB pick this year will also turn into a future star.

toffee
    NET Veteran

• As a huge Wisconsin Badgers fan, I was really excited to see that the Hawks took him in the third round. I thought he'd go somewhere in the third or fourth but that was only because of his lack of size. If it weren't for that I thought he had late first round potential based solely on how he played on the field in college.

Having said that I have to be honest that I didn't think Russell was likely to become the kind of player that he is today, and has been for the past three years. Thank goodness Schneider locked in on him and convinced Pete that he was the guy!
    "There is no delay of game. We did not let the team know we were scratching our balls"
    IBleedBlueAndGreen
    * NET Injury Guru *

• IBleedBlueAndGreen wrote:As a huge Wisconsin Badgers fan, I was really excited to see that the Hawks took him in the third round. I thought he'd go somewhere in the third or fourth but that was only because of his lack of size. If it weren't for that I thought he had late first round potential based solely on how he played on the field in college.

Having said that I have to be honest that I didn't think Russell was likely to become the kind of player that he is today, and has been for the past three years. Thank goodness Schneider locked in on him and convinced Pete that he was the guy!

No one saw that coming, certainly NONE of the experts. Salute to John for finding and recommending him, salute to Pete for drafting him. Both knew that they would be crucified by national media for drafting Russ, and they did. Got to remember it was at the stage when Pete and John didn't really have job security. Pete was supposed to be not good for NFL, a college coach. John wasn't a household name, finding, recommending, and drafting the "obviously" wrong QB would be a huge minus on John resume.

Both Pete and John got balls.

toffee
    NET Veteran

• I really didn't know who he was so I was ambivalent about drafting him. Then I watched his first game against KC and never looked back.
    PlinytheCenter
    NET Veteran

• Schneider was the impetus behind picking RW. During the draft JS was crapping his pants worrying about losing RW. The FO team even had a fierce discussion about picking Wilson in the 2nd round as John wanted him badly and was worried about him getting picked elsewhere before the team could pick again. Pete won the discussion, and the team got a very good player with the second round pick. The middle of the team suddenly got strong.
    Until we develop a pass rush that will cause opposing teams to be forced to scheme to defend it we will never be able to consistently take the final step. The interior rush needs improvement. The OLine clearly still needs work.

jammerhawk
    NET Veteran

• Perhaps the drafting acumen of PC/JS extends into the 2018 draft. Rashaad Penny is a pick that got National attention as a supposed "reach", then is disrespected with the Madden's RB rankings and downplayed as JAG? RB's apparently aren't considered of much value anymore. I hope Penny goes off for 1800+ yards and 20+ TD's, that'll show them all that they don't know what the heck they are talking about.
    :smilingalien:
    ------------------Rashaad Penny, the next great Seahawks RB.------------------
    CamanoIslandJQ
    NET Veteran

• CamanoIslandJQ wrote:Perhaps the drafting acumen of PC/JS extends into the 2018 draft. Rashaad Penny is a pick that got National attention as a supposed "reach", then is disrespected with the Madden's RB rankings and downplayed as JAG? RB's apparently aren't considered of much value anymore. I hope Penny goes off for 1800+ yards and 20+ TD's, that'll show them all that they don't know what the heck they are talking about.
    :smilingalien:

They said the same thing before Lynch, after Lynch teams started to look at RB's more again, I think if we show a winning record as in deep in the playoffs with a running attack that will all change, right now we are Eqypt again so anything we do will be mocked or critisized.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• Pundits got long memories, perhaps some still remember the humble pie of Pete/John's 2012 draft? They are just trying to get even by mocking our current draft, however, if Penny becomes a star, those national expert ought to starting calling Pete: daddy.

toffee
    NET Veteran

• I know Salk was enamored of Wilson before that draft and he saw Schneider a a golf tournament. Apparently, John told him to "Shut up about Russell Wilson." :lol:
    0118 999 881 999 119 725 3
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

• I don't follow college football, so every draft is more or less a surprise. But after every pick, I like to learn about each player through articles, media-coverage, or videos. It was Jon Gruden's confidence in his QB camp video featuring RW that got me excited, then the Kansas City pre-season game where he both ran and put the ball on target while under pressure.

Based on measurables, height is the only one that might not have recommended him as a top-tier QB in the draft. Can it be really be that important to all the mediots?!?
    NET Veteran

• The national media was not alll negative about Wilson, but the dumb ones were, along with “he’s too short” sheep.

I recall that John Gruden was pretty much a total fan, believing Wilson had the mind and arm to be special. Mariucci was also a big fan and had done his whiteboard schtick with Russell who the two coaches described as special, driven, and sharp.

The height thing was thought to just be a limitation Wilson would need to work around, yet neither coach though Wilson would not be able to do just that. Most of the rest of the national media, however, like our friend (not) ‘Priscilla’ Prisco we’re beating the too short drum. Seattle was widely panned for that year’s draft but it changed the team forever.

jammerhawk
    NET Veteran

• Pete Crisco is a complete Niners moron anyway.
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

• Wasnt following Wisconsin at the time......didnt know about Wilson. Wasn't he also a transfer in college? Another red flag besides the height. He could go down as one of the best ever to play the game.

Hopefully get him some balance this year.
    Michael Dickson, P, Texas: 2018 Adopt a Probowl Rookie
    Atradees
    NET Veteran

• They made him a team captain almost immediately as well after he transferred.
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

• Atradees wrote:Wasnt following Wisconsin at the time......didnt know about Wilson. Wasn't he also a transfer in college? Another red flag besides the height. He could go down as one of the best ever to play the game.

He had a solid run at North Carolina State from 2008-2010, graduated in 3 years, and then transferred to Wisconsin for a masters degree in education/leadership. He had better stats with Wisconsin, in a new Offense. And look at his high-school stats, too.

Basically, he's had success everywhere he's gone, and been a winner for a long time.
    NET Veteran

• Ad Hawk wrote:
    Atradees wrote:Wasnt following Wisconsin at the time......didnt know about Wilson. Wasn't he also a transfer in college? Another red flag besides the height. He could go down as one of the best ever to play the game.

He had a solid run at North Carolina State from 2008-2010, graduated in 3 years, and then transferred to Wisconsin for a masters degree in education/leadership. He had better stats with Wisconsin, in a new Offense. And look at his high-school stats, too.

Basically, he's had success everywhere he's gone, and been a winner for a long time.

And yet, most experts couldn’t see beyond his height.

toffee
    NET Veteran

• I felt the same way most did. I was a little surprised that he went in the third round, but he was impressive as hell in college. People talk about the height thing like it never should have been considered in the draft analysis process, but keep in mind that Wilson is doing something that has never been done before. It was a legitimate thing to question at the time.

He was a different kind of prospect, but if anyone was going to make the short QB thing work, it was going to be Russell Wilson.
    Rat
    * NET Cynic *

• Rat wrote:I felt the same way most did. I was a little surprised that he went in the third round, but he was impressive as hell in college. People talk about the height thing like it never should have been considered in the draft analysis process, but keep in mind that Wilson is doing something that has never been done before. It was a legitimate thing to question at the time.

He was a different kind of prospect, but if anyone was going to make the short QB thing work, it was going to be Russell Wilson.

Well-put.

I agree that height is worth considering, and there certainly may be plays he cannot execute well or at all; we'll never know the truth since he wouldn't say so, and neither would the coaches.

However, it's all he's ever known and thus he works with/around it; he's just better at it than others his size, with better preparation, mind, skills and awareness than many taller QBs. Perhaps his height has become the chip on his own shoulder that pushes him to work harder when taller QBs take it for granted.

It's just hard to argue with long-term success, and he had it at every stage of his life, for the right reasons. I'm so very glad we gave him a shot. :179417:
    NET Veteran

• As I recall JS was all in on Russ based on his Wisconsin connections.
    brimsalabim
    NET Veteran

• IBleedBlueAndGreen wrote:As a huge Wisconsin Badgers fan, I was really excited to see that the Hawks took him in the third round. I thought he'd go somewhere in the third or fourth but that was only because of his lack of size. If it weren't for that I thought he had late first round potential based solely on how he played on the field in college.

The reason for not seeing it coming is because you only watched him for one year

Those of us from NC State first watched him for three years where he despite baseball in the offseason improved tremendously between seasons and then we watched him play for the Badgers. We saw it coming :)
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

• Atradees wrote:Wasnt following Wisconsin at the time......didnt know about Wilson. Wasn't he also a transfer in college? Another red flag besides the height. He could go down as one of the best ever to play the game.

No not a red flag. The NC State coach who shall not be named had an option. Russel for one year or Glennon for two. So RW was told to quit baseball or lose the starting role. So he graduated and transferred. Then he walked into the Wisconsin locker room and became captain within something ridiculous like 24hrs after driving cross country.

There were no red flags around the transfer
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

• TBH I think the height thing has become the stuff of legend over time, and a talking head or two filling air time by saying stupid stuff about his height has gotten remembered as a general consensus.

If you go back to the actual post-draft grades from that year from reputable sites, the knock on the Hawks taking Wilson in the 3rd wasn't at all about his height, it was that it was a weird decision given that they'd just invested a bunch of resources in a new starting QB (Flynn): the idea was that spending a 3rd on a backup didn't make much sense.

With the benefit of hindsight that's of course a terrible take, but without the benefit of hindsight it's a take that kinda made sense at the time.

Overall draft analysts didn't knock Wilson because of his height -- he was pretty popular among draft analysts and was a major riser through the draft process -- the story on him was he was gonna be good value rounds 3-5 b/c he was going to get unfairly discounted due to both his height and having changed schools.
    Popeyejones
    NET Veteran

• Popeyejones wrote:TBH I think the height thing has become the stuff of legend over time, and a talking head or two filling air time by saying stupid stuff about his height has gotten remembered as a general consensus.

If you go back to the actual post-draft grades from that year from reputable sites, the knock on the Hawks taking Wilson in the 3rd wasn't at all about his height, it was that it was a weird decision given that they'd just invested a bunch of resources in a new starting QB (Flynn): the idea was that spending a 3rd on a backup didn't make much sense.

With the benefit of hindsight that's of course a terrible take, but without the benefit of hindsight it's a take that kinda made sense at the time.

Overall draft analysts didn't knock Wilson because of his height -- he was pretty popular among draft analysts and was a major riser through the draft process -- the story on him was he was gonna be good value rounds 3-5 b/c he was going to get unfairly discounted due to both his height and having changed schools.

We are pretty much an expert on Wilson and everything was about his height, his football IQ off the charts, his throwing and completion percentage great, his leadership skills off the charts, he won in both schools in the systems he was given. Played better in the games with higher stakes.

He was too short period was the knock.

Everyone was saying if he was 6'2" or taller he would be a first rounder.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• ^^^ Go back and read the post-draft grades from right after the draft if you don’t believe me.

The Seahawks were overall graded poorly on that draft which was obviously wrong, but the knock on Wilson was spending a third on a QB when they had just invested in Flynn as their starter (again, that was wrong, but the complaint wasn’t about his height — he was a riser during the process b/c people coalesced around saying he was unfairly knocked for his height and for changing schools).
    Popeyejones
    NET Veteran

• Popeyejones wrote:^^^ Go back and read the post-draft grades from right after the draft if you don’t believe me.

The Seahawks were overall graded poorly on that draft which was obviously wrong, but the knock on Wilson was spending a third on a QB when they had just invested in Flynn as their starter (again, that was wrong, but the complaint wasn’t about his height — he was a riser during the process b/c people coalesced around saying he was unfairly knocked for his height and for changing schools).

Every one on this Board heard every Mediot other then Jon Gruden slam him for his height, career back up, or Camp Cut was the commentary because of his height. Not his skills.

Everyone began backpeddling real quick after pre season and Flynn was let go. They were shitting themselves after the KC pre season game.

We here remember, don't rewrite the history, we got a F I think that year from almost everyone.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• chris98251 wrote:
    Popeyejones wrote:^^^ Go back and read the post-draft grades from right after the draft if you don’t believe me.

Every one on this Board heard every Mediot other then Jon Gruden slam him for his height, career back up, or Camp Cut was the commentary because of his height. Not his skills.

Everyone began backpeddling real quick after pre season and Flynn was let go. They were shitting themselves after the KC pre season game.

We here remember, don't rewrite the history, we got a F I think that year from almost everyone.

Exactly, Chris. The post-draft grades were simultaneously discouraging (if you believed them) and hilarious (if you looked at production of the rookies drafted).

If Russ were 6' 2" or taller, some other team would have taken him much earlier. Sure, the Seahawks looked odd taking him with Flynn already in the stable and paid well, and any criticism of the Hawks for being bold enough to take a 3rd round flyer on him is somewhat justified at the time. But that's not what we're talking about here.

The question is this: why wasn't a QB with that kind of production, leadership, intelligence, clutch, willingness to learn, etc. taken much higher by any team? It wasn't because of off-the-field problems... or injury history... or his skin tone... or his girlfriend... or the school he was from... or taking money while in college... etc.

There is only one reason.
    NET Veteran

• Popeyejones wrote:^^^ Go back and read the post-draft grades from right after the draft if you don’t believe me.

His draft status had nothing to do with Flynn or the Hawks posture. Changing schools wasn’t a knock. It was actually used to highlight his leadership and ability to absorb a new system.

It was his height that dropped him. If he was 6’2” - 6’4”, he was a probable top 10 pick.
    lobohawk
    NET Veteran

It is currently Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:39 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information