Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Pretty excited for this season

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Pretty excited for this season
Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:04 am
  • This finally feels different. Like 49 is officially, finally, flushed away. There's going to be a bunch of young, hungry guys out there running around trying to create a new identity. There's going to be a ton of positive energy.

    Seasons like this are really interesting to me. We're going to learn so much about so many different guys. Those of us that like to break down players and watch individuals are going to have a lot more to do than we have in the past several years. In addition to new players, we're going to have new coaches, Schottenheimer in particular. Are we going to be able to identify zone defenses and execute some plays to beat them? Are we going to see any younger corners step-up? Can Shaquem play? Are we going to be able to win the games in the phone-booth again, or are we going to keep getting beat at our own game?

    Honestly, I don't expect us to be that good. Which, I promise, is not why I'm excited about this team. I just don't think we have enough talent playing at a high level at the moment. I expect this to be one of those transition years, where guys start to break out over the course of the season, and we go into next season with a bunch of guys trending up, rather than flat-lining or going backwards. What's going to make this team good for years to come will be the same thing that made this team good starting in 2011. We're going to have to find some hungry, young players that we got for cheap, to become the core of this team. Opportunity and "competition" will be UNLIMITED. Who is going to make the most of theirs?
    I'm fly
    I should be in the sky with birds
    User avatar
    Tical21
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3810
    Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:37 pm


Re: Pretty excited for this season
Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:37 am
  • The hungry factor is a lot of what has been missing.
    I don't expect a great season either but I want to be really suprised
    expectation wise and see future stars emerging.
    Will Dissly
    2018 Adopt a rookie
    User avatar
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4056
    Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:42 pm


Re: Pretty excited for this season
Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:57 am
  • I couldn't agree more. So excited to see what the new guys bring to the table. Feels like a fresh start indeed.
    Michael Dickson, P, Texas: Adopt a Rookie 2018

    Living below sealevel: The only way is up!
    Zeearend
    NET Practice Squad
     
    Posts: 92
    Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:20 am
    Location: 3 meters below sea level


  • One thing is for sure.

    This will be the most exciting preseason since 2012. With so much new talent expected to take over important roles, this preseason will offer alot to digest.

    Whereas in years past (the last 3) most of the spots were already claimed so there wasn't alot to get excited about in the 3rd and 4th quarter in games. Whereas this year I'll be glued to the tube checking out these new guys.

    for instance

    Backup QB- McGough vs. Davis

    RB- How will that get sorted out- Penny, Carson, Prosise, MCKissic, and Davis. I got to believe 1 of those five will be carrying the rock through the end of the game and not seeing scrubs that we know won't make it.

    WR/TE- With Richardson and Graham gone we now will be focused on vets Marshall and Brown, as well as young bucks Darboh, Moore and Johnson. Dissly and Vannett and Dickson will be exciting to see how the 2 young guys and the vet do this year.

    On Defense you've got

    Delano Hill, Tedric Thompson-- how will they fit in?

    AT CB= Tre Flowers, the progress of Shaq Griffin and Mike Tyson.

    At LB you've got Shaquem, but there's bound to be 1-2 other new guys make the team and provide depth.

    Heck even at Special teams it will be exciting to watch the punter competition. Between the gifted youth and the seasoned vet.

    To me this will be a terrific preseason to watch to see the development of the 2nd and 3rd year players along with the rookies.
    jlwaters1
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2782
    Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:48 pm


Re: Pretty excited for this season
Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:18 am

Re: Pretty excited for this season
Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:25 pm
  • The real question is how many remotes and big screens will need to be replaced by the end of the season :)
    Image

    To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    User avatar
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 25458
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


  • jlwaters1 wrote:One thing is for sure.

    This will be the most exciting preseason since 2012. With so much new talent expected to take over important roles, this preseason will offer alot to digest.

    Whereas in years past (the last 3) most of the spots were already claimed so there wasn't alot to get excited about in the 3rd and 4th quarter in games. Whereas this year I'll be glued to the tube checking out these new guys.

    for instance

    Backup QB- McGough vs. Davis

    RB- How will that get sorted out- Penny, Carson, Prosise, MCKissic, and Davis. I got to believe 1 of those five will be carrying the rock through the end of the game and not seeing scrubs that we know won't make it.

    WR/TE- With Richardson and Graham gone we now will be focused on vets Marshall and Brown, as well as young bucks Darboh, Moore and Johnson. Dissly and Vannett and Dickson will be exciting to see how the 2 young guys and the vet do this year.

    On Defense you've got

    Delano Hill, Tedric Thompson-- how will they fit in?

    AT CB= Tre Flowers, the progress of Shaq Griffin and Mike Tyson.

    At LB you've got Shaquem, but there's bound to be 1-2 other new guys make the team and provide depth.

    Heck even at Special teams it will be exciting to watch the punter competition. Between the gifted youth and the seasoned vet.

    To me this will be a terrific preseason to watch to see the development of the 2nd and 3rd year players along with the rookies.

    Thanks for expounding. A lot of fun stuff to talk about here. CB will be super fun to watch. Those guys you mentioned, as well as a couple FA's that look promising, and maybe even one in the Bozworth draft.
    WR will be great fun. I hope it's Marshall and he plays well, but who else is going to step up?

    I kind of wish they didn't sign McDougald so we would be assured of a chance to see Delano or Tedric, but I guess with the Earl situation, they didn't have a choice but to retain at least one good veteran safety.

    DE is another position that should be fun to watch. Can Shaquem play outside on passing downs? Can that other kid they drafted late? What about Jordan and Smith? If they can all only stay GROUNDED.
    I'm fly
    I should be in the sky with birds
    User avatar
    Tical21
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3810
    Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:37 pm


Re: Pretty excited for this season
Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:00 pm
  • Rasheem Green is a Michael Bennett clone physically, can he come in and make an impact?
    Anajimmc
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 196
    Joined: Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:32 pm


Re: Pretty excited for this season
Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:11 pm
  • Anajimmc wrote:Rasheem Green is a Michael Bennett clone physically, can he come in and make an impact?


    It's tough for rookie DL to make an impact. The only recent rookies who did that I can think of were Aaron Donald and Joey Bosa. Mules Garrett played pretty well too I think. Those guys are the best of the best though.
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3281
    Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:22 pm
    Location: Portland, OR


Re: Pretty excited for this season
Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:21 pm
  • Whoa whoa whoa, how are we 9 posts in and no one has mentioned watching Dickson punt??? That's a travesty. I haven't been this excited to watch a punter ever.
    User avatar
    EverydayImRusselin
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1513
    Joined: Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:38 am


Re: Pretty excited for this season
Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:28 pm
  • The exciting thing is you've got a top 3 QB entering his PRIME... I'm so glad for Russ we're addressing the line and running and TE game!! This will be nothing if not FUN :), hell, at this point in the summer, even wnba would be watchable
    User avatar
    SNDavidson
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1570
    Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:22 pm


Re: Pretty excited for this season
Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:25 am
  • I'm excited NOBODY broke their skull in an ATV accident or lost a hand during July 4th.
    It seems guys actually want to play this year.
    Russ Willstrong
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1610
    Joined: Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:31 am


Re: Pretty excited for this season
Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:42 pm
  • Right on. Good post. Yeah, I know it sucks that the window has closed, but I'm with ya. I'm really curious if Pete 'n John can do it again. I expect a 9-7 type season, or 'round about there. And yeah, I really want Shaquem to make the team, and boast some great stats in the process! That's my story of this year. And looking forward to next spring where Pete 'n John put the rest of the pieces in place, and then build on that the next season. And do it all over again. Fingers crossed!!! I do think L.A. and Santa Clara own the next couple years though. Look for disappointing season sweeps.... arghhhh….
    Image
    "Tackling is an attitude. You have to want to." Kam Chancellor

    RIP Les
    :les:
    User avatar
    BlueThunder
    *Net Enemy Forum Guy*
     
    Posts: 3603
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 4:39 am
    Location: Arlington, Washington


Re: Pretty excited for this season
Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:22 pm
  • In Petes first season we had the 23rd ranked offense and the 25th ranked defense the next season our defense was ranked #7 then we went to #9 on offense and 1st in defense, that was starting with a bare cupboard, we are not starting with a bare cupboard.

    Expect respectability and maybe a pleasant surprise or two.

    Lots of Mediots choking on under cooked Crow.
    Image

    To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    User avatar
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 25458
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


Re: Pretty excited for this season
Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:24 am
  • PFF says we have the 12th best roster.
    Hasselbeck wrote:Matt Flynn should be our starter. Wilson is nothing more than a backup and will never amount to anything in this league.
    User avatar
    ImTheScientist
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3449
    Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:14 am


Re: Pretty excited for this season
Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:10 am
  • I think it will be better overall just by flushing the 2 turds they were offensive coaches.
    I expect the offense to be much better, but the defense will take a step or 2 back. If ET gets traded or holds out the defense is going to struggle big time.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

    May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

    I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 24158
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:36 pm
    Location: The pit


Re: Pretty excited for this season
Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:15 pm
  • This will be a season for the diehards, the fans that knows some xo. This will not be a season for the fair weather.

    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    ++ You can call me a homer, but I am not the only one ++
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    toffee
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1357
    Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:44 pm


Re: Pretty excited for this season
Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:08 pm
  • toffee wrote:This will be a season for the diehards, the fans that knows some xo. This will not be a season for the fair weather.



    So your saying the Mods will be busy this season then :P
    Image

    To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    User avatar
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 25458
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


Re: Pretty excited for this season
Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:23 pm
  • The fact that there is so many unknown variables has made it difficult at best to determine how good they will be. That is the biggest factor in the media being "disrespectful". There is only two factors that are a given, Pete Carroll will coach them with fundamentals and Wilson will be the explosive star QB.
    Personally, I have high expectations. My only concerns are a tough schedule and keeping Wilson from getting hurt vs the Rams.
    ~ HOLY CATFISH ~
    User avatar
    MD5eahawks
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 863
    Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:10 pm
    Location: Baltimore, Maryland


Re: Pretty excited for this season
Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:17 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:In Petes first season we had the 23rd ranked offense and the 25th ranked defense the next season our defense was ranked #7 then we went to #9 on offense and 1st in defense, that was starting with a bare cupboard, we are not starting with a bare cupboard.

    Expect respectability and maybe a pleasant surprise or two.

    Lots of Mediots choking on under cooked Crow.

    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS!!!!^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Anyone who actually believes that we are starting all the way back at square one isn't giving enough credit to RW, Doug Baldwin & SUBSTANTIALLY BETTER circumstances in overall Coaching, ++++,( field General ) Bobby Wagner, & side-kick KJ Wright, Frank ( The Freak) Clark, who are ALL great MENTORS for the up & comers.
    Oh and also, if Kam Chancellor is still here, he just might be a great help on Coaching up some of the newbies in the Secondary.
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 6610
    Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:48 pm


Re: Pretty excited for this season
Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:59 am
  • Attention to detail helped get the Hawks to the SB. Hopefully a renewed dedication to that will go a long way towards righting the ship. Marshawn Lynch covered a lot of Hawk offensive weaknesses especially OC and OL. Special teams have been in a steady decline. The team doesn't need a Top 5 defense to compete as long as a dedication to solid field position, execution, protection, tackling etc, gives the playmakers like RW a chance.
    Thomas Paine: To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead
    User avatar
    Seafan
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5886
    Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:30 pm
    Location: Helotes, TX


Re: Pretty excited for this season
Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:34 am
  • Seafan wrote:Attention to detail helped get the Hawks to the SB. Hopefully a renewed dedication to that will go a long way towards righting the ship. Marshawn Lynch covered a lot of Hawk offensive weaknesses especially OC and OL. Special teams have been in a steady decline. The team doesn't need a Top 5 defense to compete as long as a dedication to solid field position, execution, protection, tackling etc, gives the playmakers like RW a chance.


    I'm curious what you mean by that. It seemed to me like the team overall lacked attention to detail in terms of Xs and Os (at least on offense) and relied on being more talented than the opponent and beating them up. I think Lynch epitomized that more than anyone with how many tackles he (had to) broke and defenders he overpowered. I actually hope that with Solari and Schotty we can focus more on details and execution. Defensively, I agree the players were keyed in on the scheme and tackled very well. Penalties were a HUGE problem on both sides of the ball even when we were going to SBs and I hope we can find a way to reduce them.
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3281
    Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:22 pm
    Location: Portland, OR


Re: Pretty excited for this season
Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:29 am
  • Cautiously optimistic, lol.
    Fallin' in love with this new installment of the Seahawks!!!
    User avatar
    DomeHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 940
    Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:20 am
    Location: Meadowdale


Re: Pretty excited for this season
Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:01 am
  • toffee wrote:This will be a season for the diehards, the fans that knows some xo. This will not be a season for the fair weather.

    I thought that was last year.
    Possibly the worst run game since the team was created.
    The Anthem issues.
    Frustration watching the OL.
    Some players putting themselves ahead of the team.
    Another year of Bevell and Cable.
    Malik's disaster.
    Richardson and Graham trades going "poof".
    User avatar
    LudwigsDrummer
    US Navy Air VP 56 `74-`78
     
    Posts: 1857
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 3:44 pm
    Location: Smokey Point


Re: Pretty excited for this season
Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:55 am
  • I haven't felt this sort of excitement since the 2012 season. I remember Russell coming into camp that year and winning the starting job. Guys like Richard Sherman and Earl Thomas weren't common names yet. The Seahawks weren't expected to make the playoffs neverless be playing for a Super Bowl the following year. That 2012 team wasn't on anyone's radar, but the common factor was that we had John Schneider and Pete Carrol as the lead architects who took that team and created a super team that all the NFL teams would want to mirror.

    What people don't understand that NFL is a game of turnover. You can build a team, but can't expect that team to be the same team you started with four years ago. Off course it was heartbreaking to watch Richard Sherman get released and go to rivals San Fran. Off course it was a shock to see Michael Bennett traded to the Philadelphia Eagles. Why did Cliff Avril and Kam Chancellor have to get hurt. And Earl, who knows where he will end up at the start of the season. But we have a new generation upon us, The Griffins, Clark, and that entire secondary we drafted last year. It's an exciting time to be a fan.

    And look at LA and SF last year, it took years of being in the bottom of the dog house to get where they are today. We still have our Franchise QB who is only getting better, who only wants greatness. Doug Baldwin is still in his prime as one of the most underrated WR's in the game. Bobby Wagner is quite possible they best LB in the league. Rashad Penny is a phenomenal talent who is going to prove to the world that he was that first rounder and that 27 teams made a mistake passing on him.

    I can't wait to watch this years Seahawks and looking forward to another solid year.
    Dang3Russ
    NET Bench Warmer
     
    Posts: 21
    Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:35 pm


Re: Pretty excited for this season
Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:51 am
  • It literally cannot get worse.

    If I see an actual offense in the 1st half, I will be happy. I think our defense giving up more points is going to help in this respect - because the offense is going to have to produce to compensate. So I will see less trying to suck the air out of the ball and drain the clock.

    Last year, (I think it was last year), I missed the entire 1st half of the GB game. The freaking home opener. Showed up at the half, figured it would hardly matter because they would not do anything in the 1st half anyway. Apparently, I missed some terrible call that swung the game GB's way...but the reality is that I had been conditioned to not bother that much with the 1st half.

    As the season progressed, I found myself turning into the away games later and later - reasoning I was not missing anything. And I rarely did.

    I think I missed the entire first half in almost half the away games last year. Maybe more.

    If we can just actually play football for 2 full halves, I am almost OK with the rest. Just make the playoffs somehow (unlikely) or at least play 4 full quarters (hopefully?).

    Cautiously optimistic.
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3357
    Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:48 pm


Re: Pretty excited for this season
Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:12 pm
  • Agreed. I just would like to see a drive go through a series of first downs. And hopefully retiring the run run throw 40 punt is done


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    User avatar
    NOLAHawk
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 217
    Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:55 pm


Re: Pretty excited for this season
Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:06 pm
  • This is a great thread. Thanks for it Tical. There are some great thoughts in it as well from all posters. Tis like a breath of fresh air after all the carbuncle stuff we had to deal with last year. I do think that the new fresh heads in the locker room and the new old hats in the coaching staff will bring something that will be interesting to the game and the team. We try to teach those under us to take our place so we can move up in the spectrum, hopefully Kam can be one of them that can adapt to that role this year while on the bench. Sometimes you cant knock on someone, but you can show them how to knock without doing it yourself.

    Keep this coming. It is very interesting.
    R.I.P. Queen.
    User avatar
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 8315
    Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:20 pm
    Location: A little ways from Boise.


Re: Pretty excited for this season
Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:49 pm
  • TwistedHusky wrote:It literally cannot get worse.

    If I see an actual offense in the 1st half, I will be happy. I think our defense giving up more points is going to help in this respect - because the offense is going to have to produce to compensate. So I will see less trying to suck the air out of the ball and drain the clock.

    Last year, (I think it was last year), I missed the entire 1st half of the GB game. The freaking home opener. Showed up at the half, figured it would hardly matter because they would not do anything in the 1st half anyway. Apparently, I missed some terrible call that swung the game GB's way...but the reality is that I had been conditioned to not bother that much with the 1st half.

    As the season progressed, I found myself turning into the away games later and later - reasoning I was not missing anything. And I rarely did.

    I think I missed the entire first half in almost half the away games last year. Maybe more.

    If we can just actually play football for 2 full halves, I am almost OK with the rest. Just make the playoffs somehow (unlikely) or at least play 4 full quarters (hopefully?).

    Cautiously optimistic.


    I've said this a couple times. Last year's team was unwatchable and that was mainly Bevell's issues. Since 2014 I've complained about him. Last year it just came to a head and the good thing is that 9-7 got Pete to finally move him. Bev did the same things all season long, he never made adjustments. The only reason the offense seemed to be better in the 4th quarter is Russ got the pressure taken off thanks to prevent defenses that were far enough in the lead. To give Bev some credit when Pete let him turn the offense loose like in 2015 he put together a quick throw offense that was amazing for about 5 games. But then Pete pulled back the reigns in the playoffs (or Bev did) and the team looked like last season. You can't have a pounding run first offense if you don't have the tools. Russ has shown he can run about any offense you want but Pete has a history of not trusting QBs that goes way back. He's very conservative until he has no choice but to turn it loose. My hope is he lets Schott really run things and supports an effective offense. You may not be able to win a game in the first quarter but last year proved you sure can lose it.
    Thomas Paine: To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead
    User avatar
    Seafan
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5886
    Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:30 pm
    Location: Helotes, TX




It is currently Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:47 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]




Information