Dan Quinn "Kam should be a Coach"

ivotuk

Reaction score
""Dan Quinn would love to see Kam Chancellor become a coach: ‘He has a gift’ for leadership and connection

“For a lot of the players he was like the big brother,” said Quinn, who was the defensive coordinator for Seattle in 2013 and 2014. “Sometimes (it was like), ‘Hey man you better not keep talking that way I’m gonna get my big brother.’

But at other times, he had some wisdom to put down to the younger guys who were up-and-coming. Or a guy who was (his age). He didn’t mind having the uncomfortable conversation. And not a lot of players can do that and still come off in a genuine and caring way.

“That’s why if I could tell you what an impact he had (off the field), I would still be coming up short.”

http://sports.mynorthwest.com/482632/da ... onnection/

toffee

Reaction score
Kam and Wagner were the two field generals we had, calling adjustments, calling out what the offense was about to do. Those qualifies do not show up on stats. But they made the teammates better.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Well he is under guaranteed contract for 2 more seasons, maybe he can be encouraged to actually earn his guaranteed money as a coach. My comment sounds snarky but isn't meant to be interpreted as such.

chris98251

Reaction score
jammerhawk":u3uf1o3w said:
Well he is under guaranteed contract for 2 more seasons, maybe he can be encouraged to actually earn his guaranteed money as a coach. My comment sounds snarky but isn't meant to be interpreted as such.

Call him a Player Coach, he just won't be able to play if you want. Probably be the first one in over 70 years really with that title in the NFL.

GeekHawk

Reaction score
How about hiring him as a coach with a large guaranteed salary in exchange for him taking a medical settlement with way reduced payout? Basically get a coach and also get some cap space back without him actually losing out on any pay (since coach's salaries don't count against the cap). I'm pretty sure it would stand up to objections from other teams.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Might be best to step away for 1 year for mental/emotional purposes, but there's little doubt that he'll get that job if he so chooses.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
GeekHawk":3sle613k said:
How about hiring him as a coach with a large guaranteed salary in exchange for him taking a medical settlement with way reduced payout? Basically get a coach and also get some cap space back without him actually losing out on any pay (since coach's salaries don't count against the cap). I'm pretty sure it would stand up to objections from other teams.

I like this idea but I'd expect it is unlikely to happen. The guaranteed money would need to be the same as his present deal.

GeekHawk

Reaction score
Since we're already on the hook for the money, might as well make the best out of it and make those dollars productive. I think it would be a win-win, and would lead to Kam having his after-playing career set up. I should think it could be set up so that most but not all of his guaranteed player salary becomes guaranteed coach salary, such that his coach pay isn't "too" outlandish but we still free up a bunch of cap space and he get all the $$ that he will anyway.

chris98251

Reaction score
They let Lynch walk away and keep his Bonus, Kam was much more a team guy and if he stays as a Coach type figure with his team mentality and respect they may just eat it and say thanks.

toffee

Reaction score
Quinn got a good point, since Kam will still be on the payroll, might as well have him come in to coach/mentor the new LOB. It will add to Kam's legacy as the mentor that incubated the 2nd gen LOB.

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
I would hope that PC/JS have had recent meetings with Kam regarding Kam's future with the team. Undoubtedly, they would at least consider the possibility of keeping Kam as a DB coach. It would just make a lot of sense. If they haven't at least addressed this possibility, Quinn sounds like he might want to poach Kam as a Falcon if Kam were to cut ties with the Seahawks. I say, Hell no, keeping him as a Seahawk coach is logical and the best possible outcome for all concerned. Kam would make a wonderful and inspiring coach for the team.

:smilingalien:

scutterhawk

Reaction score
CamanoIslandJQ":37k154rt said:
I would hope that PC/JS have had recent meetings with Kam regarding Kam's future with the team. Undoubtedly, they would at least consider the possibility of keeping Kam as a DB coach. It would just make a lot of sense. If they haven't at least addressed this possibility, Quinn sounds like he might want to poach Kam as a Falcon if Kam were to cut ties with the Seahawks. I say, Hell no, keeping him as a Seahawk coach is logical and the best possible outcome for all concerned. Kam would make a wonderful and inspiring coach for the team.

:smilingalien:

LOL, Now I'm waiting for the Yayhoo's who like to profess, that "Great Players Don't Always Transition To Good Coaches" 3...2..1.

chris98251

Reaction score
Guys like Singletary that were smart but not great at communication have a hard time, Kam has been a communicator and leader his whole time here, he already knows how to express himself and has respect for his knowledge. That makes a difference. Don't think he will need to drop his pants to get his point across.

Reaction score
GeekHawk":285aiprr said:
Since we're already on the hook for the money, might as well make the best out of it and make those dollars productive. I think it would be a win-win, and would lead to Kam having his after-playing career set up. I should think it could be set up so that most but not all of his guaranteed player salary becomes guaranteed coach salary, such that his coach pay isn't "too" outlandish but we still free up a bunch of cap space and he get all the $$ that he will anyway.

Yeah, no, that's not happening. Seahawks are on the hook for the full $19 million or whatever (current dead money from fully guaranteed cash plus signing bonus plus entire injury guarantee). There is NO getting out of that. Hiring him as a coach won't cost anything as far as cap space is concerned, but it also won't give the Seahawks any cap relief.

People have some ridiculous pie in the sky ideas here. If it we're that easy to get out of cap hits, every team would be doing it and there basically wouldn't be a salary cap at all.

Seahawks just gotta eat that full near $20 million cap hit and move on. Live and learn. Likely the reason Earl is done as a Seahawk because they're not making that mistake again after Lynch and Kam both burned them.

poly1274

Reaction score
I rather have the whole LOB gone and never come back. Along with ET they give a bad vibe out there and Kam might tell people to holdout and get paid.

poly1274

Reaction score
I rather have the whole LOB gone and never come back. Along with ET they give a bad vibe out there and Kam might tell people to holdout and get paid.

Seymour

Reaction score
poly1274":2ebwqxa6 said:

Bonk Bonk on the LOB!!

320x240.jpg

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
poly1274":3swr2wh8 said:

Giphy